Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2008, 21:10   #61
fk7
BHPian

Hi,

I have no intentions to hijack this thread, but I do have some queries regarding the same jeep. I would appreciate it if some experts could answer my questions. (I have searched and could not find suitable answers.

1. Is it possible to change the 3 speed trans to a 5 speed trans? Does it involve major work?

2. Can the engine itself of the above jeep itself be changed (maybe to one similar to what GTO has got in his jeep)? Is it too complicated?

(This is bearing in mind that the 4wheel capabilities need to be maintained)

Any inputs to these questions is very much appreciated. I am a newbie to the world of 4wheel drives and please excuse any silly questions from my side.

fk
Old 26th October 2008, 22:42   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

If you search these forums, all your questions have been answered in various threads.
Old 26th October 2008, 23:01   #63
fk7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
If you search these forums, all your questions have been answered in various threads.
hi,

i did search these forums and i have browsing around this excellent forum for quite some months, but the search results have overwhelmed me and any pointers will be much appreciated.

fk
Old 27th October 2008, 06:43   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fk7 View Post

1. Is it possible to change the 3 speed trans to a 5 speed trans? Does it involve major work?

2. Can the engine itself of the above jeep itself be changed (maybe to one similar to what GTO has got in his jeep)? Is it too complicated?

(This is bearing in mind that the 4wheel capabilities need to be maintained)
Hi fk7,

The engine can be changed to a later bolero one such as GTOs "RUSH". The gearbox too can be mated to suit that engine, but i doubt that would have a 4wd and 5 speed. Guess if its 2WD - 5 speed is possible, else it is a 4 speed gearbox one.

Am not too sure of the current bolero DI setup though!
Old 27th October 2008, 11:32   #65
BHPian

Guys,
My questions have been left un-answered

Some queries regarding Tyres :-

1. Is 7.00x16 NDMS available in the market ? How much does it cost ?
2. Is it a direct fit on the existing Rims or do I have to get any modifications done ?

Please help...

Here are the pics of Body work being done when I visited the garage yesterday.

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00020.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00021.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00024.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00026.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00027.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00028.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00033.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00034.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00036.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00037.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00038.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00039.jpg
Old 27th October 2008, 14:55   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fk7 View Post
Hi,

fk
There are discussions on the 5-speed gbox in some threads in this forum. Search around and I think you will get some expert advice. I recall that the 2.5L diesel engine can be mated to a matching 5 speed one. But finding an used one for 4WD will be very difficult and the cost will also shoot up
Old 29th October 2008, 10:18   #67
BHPian

Some more pics when the soft top was removed yesterday.

My wifey has decided that she wants the JEEP without the Soft Top. Guess the JEEP fever has caught her too She is more restless to drive it.

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00040.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00042.jpg

Thats me inspecting the JEEP

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00043.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00044.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00046.jpg
Old 29th October 2008, 10:51   #68
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post

My wifey has decided that she wants the JEEP without the Soft Top. Guess the JEEP fever has caught her too She is more restless to drive it.
lucky you! my wife hates all jeeps.
but I'll still get one sometime and make her drive it!

Old 29th October 2008, 13:49   #69
BHPian

sabareesh-thanx for posting the work pics,good to know whats being done, cause i do keep track of this thread daily.
Old 29th October 2008, 14:05   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Even my wife hates Jeeps, I think she'll never let me buy one
Old 29th October 2008, 14:24   #71
Team-BHP Support

My wife has started learning to drive the Jeep, the gearbox is still a challenge. She keeps slotting 4th instead of 2nd, but the Jeep doesn't mind.
Old 29th October 2008, 14:37   #72
BHPian

Sabareesh the pics are truly enticing. They really make me get one and restore to perfection. But S. Mumbai space,time and Vitamin M is a BIG constraint.
But I will sometime like yours.

Best of Luck buddy
Old 29th October 2008, 14:39   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston.Martin View Post
Even my wife hates Jeeps, I think she'll never let me buy one
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
My wife was no exception. She used to hate JEEPs. All I did was showed her some pics from Kelambakkam, Sakhleshpur, Coorg OTRs and she was floored.

She infact didn't have any idea how much fun would an OTR be. I had to always emphasize that Offroading is an extreme sport which has un-parallel fun but it should be done under expert supervision and guidance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desigNation View Post
sabareesh-thanx for posting the work pics,good to know whats being done, cause i do keep track of this thread daily.
The pleasure is all mine. This forum is a wonderful medium for all of us to learn & gain knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
My wife has started learning to drive the Jeep, the gearbox is still a challenge. She keeps slotting 4th instead of 2nd, but the Jeep doesn't mind.
My wife is more enthusiastic than me to take the JEEP off-road. She has already started reading about DO's and Don'ts while Off-roading. Couple of days back, she was talking about Spring Over Axle conversion on our JEEP . She had read it somewhere on the 4x4 & off roading forum.

Team-BHP forums have worked wonders.
Old 29th October 2008, 14:43   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
6. I am glued to your's & Samurai's thread since the inception. I have gained a lot of learnings and would continue to stick. The knowledge passed on by JEEP gurus here is truly marvellous and I will surely abide by.
Absolutely agree with your words. I sincerely hope you are not including me in the list of Jeep Gurus. Im more of a Jeep Green horn
Seriously, it has been a learning experience and what superb advice most of these able men have to offer.
Great thread this. Will learn some more from this thread.
Old 29th October 2008, 14:58   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Absolutely agree with your words. I sincerely hope you are not including me in the list of Jeep Gurus. Im more of a Jeep Green horn
Seriously, it has been a learning experience and what superb advice most of these able men have to offer.
Great thread this. Will learn some more from this thread.
Couldn't agree more with you V-16. This forum is an ocean of knowledge. Infact, it would be great if anyone can take pains and collate the advices / suggestions given by the GODs to a single thread.

I was questioned by quite a lot of friends on picking up a CJ500D, there were reactions like " Why the hell do you want a 500D ??, Can't you invest on something beautiful like the Classic ???, Damn !! this looks ugly man... get the chassis chopped off to 80 inches.. atleast you will have a look-alike of SWB JEEP "

I realized that I am ahead of time in restoring a 500D.

My affection towards this perticular model was due to its modest hardworking nature. These JEEPs are used & abused till they break; after the breakdown, they are repaired and are ready to happily withstand the abuse again.

I know it for a fact that this donkey JEEP can never stand in the legue of the legendry MA's, MB's, GPW's & the CJ series. Its not even close to the Indian counterparts CJ / CL 340s & the chubby cheeks MM 540's 550s.

This mule may not be a fore contender in terms of Off roading as the Willys MB, it may not be as beautiful as the CJ3A, its no where near to the legendry CJ3B with the powerful Hurricane engine. It will never win any recognition or awards for its Hardwork.

It won't even turn up for the award function as a spectator because...it will be very busy serving someone... somewhere....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks