Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2008, 15:28   #76
Senior - BHPian

You have conquered one of the most 'sensitive challenges' (read wife's interest) to indulge into jeep and off-roading. Now that the jeep is getting back to its glory, pictures will be highly wanted on day to day basis. Keep posting those.
Old 29th October 2008, 16:10   #77
Team-BHP Support

While you guys are trying to get your wives to drive your Jeeps, I just remembered something interesting. The 3 speed Mahindra diesel Jeep was the vehicle my mother learnt to drive on - sometime in the early 60s. She's 64 now. Don't know why, but, she's against me getting a Jeep.
Just found out. My grandmother learnt on a Jeep as well.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th October 2008 at 17:27.
Old 29th October 2008, 17:12   #78

Hey i also need some advice about How to convince spouse to drive a jeep.
Old 29th October 2008, 18:12   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The 3 speed Mahindra diesel Jeep was the vehicle my mother learnt to drive on
My mother learned on a CJ500 as well. My dad only had two jeeps at that time. The CJ500 and a American Jeep Wagoneer he bought from a British National who was moving back to England after selling his estates in India. That chap also had a Landrover LWB. My dad pleaded with him to sell him the Landrover, but he was hell bent on taking the Landy back with him to england. My dad eventually bought an Tata/Merc Army truck at an auction and put replaced the Jeeps petrol engine (inline 6, if I recall) and replaced it with the 6 cylynder Tata/Merc lorry engine. If you guys recall the older Tata lorries that came with the rounded fenders and not the newer ones with the squared fenders. Yes.. Jeep madness runs in the family. I'll post some pics of my Dad's Jeep Wagoneer after I scan them. Unfortunately he sold it when I was still to young to appreciate jeeps, since he had a lot of trouble sourcing spares.
Old 29th October 2008, 18:14   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
She's 64 now. Don't know why, but, she's against me getting a Jeep. Just found out. My grandmother learnt on a Jeep as well.
Tell her you want to continue the family tradition, Jeeping is in your genes, etc.

PS: I didn't know Mahindra made diesel Jeeps in the 60s. I know they were making petrol Jeeps for Willys then.
Old 29th October 2008, 18:45   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Tell her you want to continue the family tradition, Jeeping is in your genes, etc.

PS: I didn't know Mahindra made diesel Jeeps in the 60s. I know they were making petrol Jeeps for Willys then.
Must be a petrol, then. It had a 3 speed gearbox, that's all she told me.
She thinks my Jeep craze will die after I get one and use it for a few months. Didn't happen with the Contessa. I still love the car and enjoy driving it. Guess, I'll have to do what you did - buy the vehicle first and then tell her.
Old 30th October 2008, 11:06   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Must be a petrol, then. It had a 3 speed gearbox, that's all she told me.
She thinks my Jeep craze will die after I get one and use it for a few months. Didn't happen with the Contessa. I still love the car and enjoy driving it. Guess, I'll have to do what you did - buy the vehicle first and then tell her.
It must be the legendry CJ3B with the F-134 Hurricane engine.
Old 30th October 2008, 13:02   #83
Senior - BHPian

@Aditya and 4x4 addict: Those were nice tales about jeeps. My mom learnt driving in the jeep and i still remember the number of times the vehicle used to stall when she would let go of the clutch. Back at home any lady wants to learn driving then its the jeep in some open field and well if its a guy then we prefer the tractor

And talking about jeep rebuilding well buddy best of luck as i just remembered that my 540 is currently undergoing a body job and a entire new paint job. It will be mostly done in a month or so. So currently hoping for the best
Old 30th October 2008, 14:17   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
And talking about jeep rebuilding well buddy best of luck as i just remembered that my 540 is currently undergoing a body job and a entire new paint job. It will be mostly done in a month or so. So currently hoping for the best
Aha,
One more 540 rebuilding is on the way. How about some description along with pics
Old 30th October 2008, 14:35   #85
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
My dad eventually bought an Tata/Merc Army truck at an auction and put replaced the Jeeps petrol engine (inline 6, if I recall) and replaced it with the 6 cylynder Tata/Merc lorry engine. If you guys recall the older Tata lorries that came with the rounded fenders and not the newer ones with the squared fenders.
OT: Tata 1210 SE? I think the current 1613 SE retains that shape but the fenders are not as rounded as the 1210's.
Old 30th October 2008, 19:47   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
OT: Tata 1210 SE? I think the current 1613 SE retains that shape but the fenders are not as rounded as the 1210's.
I am referring to this model. Don't recall what it was called.

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-tata_merc.jpg
Old 30th October 2008, 20:40   #87
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 65130
It is called as 1210D.
Old 30th October 2008, 22:14   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Hey that is the old TMB 3 tonner. We used to go for picnics in it when I was in school.awesome machine. They would take the canvas top off and we would sit on the frame when we used to go to Bannerghatta,pearl valley and other places.
Sadly one was smashed by a train when it broke down on a level crossing. The replacement we got was a later shaktiman which was not quite as war horse looking.Though it does have a very rugged look.
cheers
jammy
Old 31st October 2008, 10:18   #89
BHPian

I know this question may be of least importance right now, but just a thought... Can I plonk a Simpsons S4 Engine in my CJ 500 D ???

My uncle runs a Garage in Trivandrum, he has got a conked - off Mahindra FJ 740 DS4 High-Roof Van which has been retired from its School Bus Services. The Original Engine and Gearbox are intact. He has offered me to take the Engine and Gearbox if required as he is going to scrap the vehicle.

Here is a pic of the FJ 740 High Roof :-

Image Courtesy - auto.indiamart.com

Though I won't be doing any major modifications in the vehicle right now but at least 6 - 8 months down the line, I can think about it.

Now my questions :-

1. Is the Engine a direct fit on CJ 500D or are any modifications to the engine mounts required ??

2. Would the Engine match the 3 Speed Gearbox of CJ 500D or will i have to add the gearbox of FJ 740 to my JEEP ?

3. Last and most important question... Can the 4 Wheel Drive retained with any of the above mentioned permutation combinations ??

Any suggestions in this regards would be greatly helpful.
Old 31st October 2008, 11:03   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
I know this question may be of least importance right now, but just a thought... Can I plonk a Simpsons S4 Engine in my CJ 500 D ???

My uncle runs a Garage in Trivandrum, he has got a conked - off Mahindra FJ 740 DS4 High-Roof Van which has been retired from its School Bus Services. The Original Engine and Gearbox are intact. He has offered me to take the Engine and Gearbox if required as he is going to scrap the vehicle.

Here is a pic of the FJ 740 High Roof :-

Image Courtesy - auto.indiamart.com

Though I won't be doing any major modifications in the vehicle right now but at least 6 - 8 months down the line, I can think about it.

Now my questions :-

1. Is the Engine a direct fit on CJ 500D or are any modifications to the engine mounts required ??

2. Would the Engine match the 3 Speed Gearbox of CJ 500D or will i have to add the gearbox of FJ 740 to my JEEP ?

3. Last and most important question... Can the 4 Wheel Drive retained with any of the above mentioned permutation combinations ??

Any suggestions in this regards would be greatly helpful.

Hi,
Good luck with your restoration of jeep-

1. P4 engine or simpsons s4 engine is a good choice. It is about 3000 cc in displacement and generates about 65 hp and about 20-22 kgm torque. Iam not sure about engine mountings but i have seen Mahindra jeeps fitted with S4 engines from factory

2. 3 speed gear box is a straight fit and you dont have to forego 4wd. I have driven a jeep with such combination and the jeep was flying!

3. This is a very torquey engine and silent in operation. The only problem could be parts availability.

I feel it is definately a better choice compared to your current international engine.

regards

Vinod

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks