Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2008, 17:56   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That's not the rubber mount, that is the buffer. It only costs 30 bucks each.
Well, its called the bump stop. And using a good quality bump stop matters!

When changing them, kindly change all 4!
Old 23rd October 2008, 18:20   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

When changing them, kindly change all 4!
Thanks Headers, Point noted... Please tell me the advantages of Steering Dampener. Why do JEEP owners mount a Shock Absorber on / instead of the Tie Rod ??
Old 23rd October 2008, 18:44   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Both buffer and bump stop are acceptable names for it Vikram.
Old 23rd October 2008, 19:41   #49
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sabreesh, your story and its beginning (of a childhod dream of owning a Jeep) sounds so much like mine.
Great job on getting your hands on your childhood dream and having it fullfilled.
Seems like you have won over the world
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I will guide you in totality.
Also you have now the advice of one of the best men for the Jeep on the forum.
So rest assured you will be guided all the way to a proper restoration.
There are so many jeep Gurus in the 4X4 section who will gladly help. Please PM them and please start a thread on the restoration of your Jeep. It will help a lot of others who are dreaming the way you did.
My thread is here;
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...-now-what.html

It has not been updated but i will do it tomorrow as i have just returned from a hectic travel schedule.

Yay!! another 4x4 addict joins the gang. Im telling you this 4X4 business is addictive.
Old 23rd October 2008, 21:07   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Congrats Sabreesh, your story and its beginning (of a childhod dream of owning a Jeep) sounds so much like mine.
Great job on getting your hands on your childhood dream and having it fullfilled.

There are so many jeep Gurus in the 4X4 section who will gladly help. Please PM them and please start a thread on the restoration of your Jeep. It will help a lot of others who are dreaming the way you did.
My thread is here;

It has not been updated but i will do it tomorrow as i have just returned from a hectic travel schedule.

Yay!! another 4x4 addict joins the gang. Im telling you this 4X4 business is addictive.
It sure is!!
You won't believe this. I liked Jeeps, gypsies initially. And after joining this forum, I am so hooked onto the idea, that I finally digged out a contact of my friend's uncle, who works in the Forest department. And I have asked him to tell me whenever an auction or anything related to a Jeep happens, and I will be glad to buy one
4X4 Zindabad
Old 24th October 2008, 06:28   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
Thanks Headers, Point noted... Please tell me the advantages of Steering Dampener. Why do JEEP owners mount a Shock Absorber on / instead of the Tie Rod ??
It is not "instead of the tie rod", it is in addition to..

Well, the steering damper is there to absorb shocks of the road and help give the driver a smoother drive. One can also drive without it, but the effect off the road irregularities on the steering will be more direct. Also, in offroad situations, where the wheel tends to follow the rut and one tries to steer away from it, the damper comes in handy. It smoothens the kickback received by the driver!
Old 24th October 2008, 06:31   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Both buffer and bump stop are acceptable names for it Vikram.
Sharat, buffer is the "roadside" name, while bump stop is the correct one. I do agree that both are acceptable, its just that which do you want to use

Last edited by headers : 24th October 2008 at 06:32.
Old 24th October 2008, 10:39   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post

My thread is here;

Thanks for the compliments V-16. I am glued to your's & Samurai's thread since the inception. I have gained a lot of learnings and would continue to stick. The knowledge passed on by JEEP gurus here is truly marvellous and I will surely abide by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iswear View Post
It sure is!!
You won't believe this. I liked Jeeps, gypsies initially. And after joining this forum, I am so hooked onto the idea, that I finally digged out a contact of my friend's uncle, who works in the Forest department. And I have asked him to tell me whenever an auction or anything related to a Jeep happens, and I will be glad to buy one
4X4 Zindabad
Welcome to the world of 4x4s Iswear, we all rookies have to slog hard, read and practice a lot to gain expertise on these wonderful machines. The immense wealth of knowledge that the forum has would be very useful for us.

Hope you find your JEEP / Gypsy soon. Cheers
Old 24th October 2008, 12:18   #54
BHPian

Quote:
It is not "instead of the tie rod", it is in addition to..

Well, the steering damper is there to absorb shocks of the road and help give the driver a smoother drive. One can also drive without it, but the effect off the road irregularities on the steering will be more direct. Also, in offroad situations, where the wheel tends to follow the rut and one tries to steer away from it, the damper comes in handy. It smoothens the kickback received by the driver!
Ok, now I understood its use.

can anyone give me some closeup pics so that I can take it to the garage guy and instruct him to do the same
Old 24th October 2008, 13:10   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, the steering damper is there to absorb shocks of the road and help give the driver a smoother drive.
Hi Headers,
Is this available stock from the Mahindra dealers and if so, any tentative cost? Also, is this a direct fit in the MM 440/540, which doesn't have a damper? I have seen the present Mahindra pick-ups come fitted with something like this.
Old 24th October 2008, 21:20   #56
BHPian

Sabareesh,

First of all congrats on the purchase of a REAL Jeep! It just looks great!

A little rust just gives a Jeep some more character.

Just get any repair work done to make sure that it is good running condition and go 4 wheeling. After that feel free to start building and upgrading as necessary. Take your time, and build it per your specific needs and budget.

Regards,
Old 24th October 2008, 22:34   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Sabareesh,

First of all congrats on the purchase of a REAL Jeep! It just looks great!

A little rust just gives a Jeep some more character.

Just get any repair work done to make sure that it is good running condition and go 4 wheeling. After that feel free to start building and upgrading as necessary. Take your time, and build it per your specific needs and budget.

Regards,
Hi Red

Could you tell me more about the Jeep's/4X4s you have? If you don't mind, in a bit of detail pls.
Thanks
Pavan
Old 25th October 2008, 07:06   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Hi Headers,
Is this available stock from the Mahindra dealers and if so, any tentative cost? Also, is this a direct fit in the MM 440/540, which doesn't have a damper? I have seen the present Mahindra pick-ups come fitted with something like this.
Yes, it is a direct fit!
Old 25th October 2008, 11:20   #59
Senior - BHPian

Suggestion on a JEEP rebuild

Hi Sabreesh,

Congrats on your new JEEP. Vehicle looks pretty decent, I have seen and rebuilt worse CJ500D.

My suggestions are

1) Get the Mechanical sorted out.
i) Engine- FIP/Injectors/Alternator/Oil Pump/Air Filter
ii) Gearbox/T-Case & Clutch
iii) Front & Rear Differential
iv) Suspension - Leaf-Springs/Telescopic Dampers/Bump-Stops
v) Basic Electrical- Ignition/Horn/Head Light

Then use the vehicle for a Few months. You will get familiar with the vehicle and will know what to rebuild or modify.

2) Do the body work in the hottest and driest months.
As you are living in a coastal area, get the body properly cleaned and then primed. Avoid/minimize the use of metal paste/Green Paste/bondo to even out tinkering blemishes, this absorbs moisture and will rust the body under the primer and paint.

3) Buy the tyres after the complete rebuild and after a few OTRs.

Regards,

Arka
Old 25th October 2008, 11:59   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Sabreesh,
Congrats on your new JEEP. Vehicle looks pretty decent, I have seen and rebuilt worse CJ500D.

My suggestions are

1) Get the Mechanical sorted out.
i) Engine- FIP/Injectors/Alternator/Oil Pump/Air Filter
ii) Gearbox/T-Case & Clutch
iii) Front & Rear Differential
iv) Suspension - Leaf-Springs/Telescopic Dampers/Bump-Stops
v) Basic Electrical- Ignition/Horn/Head Light
Thanks for your much needed suggestions Arka,

As soon as I received a PM from Behram sir, I told the garage guy not to
arbitrate the mechanicals as the Engine, Gearbox, T-case, Clutch, FIP, Injectors, Oil Pump were working fine. The front differential when opened looked as good as new, would tell the garage guy to open up the rear differential this sunday. Propeller Shaft is intact. The gear lever & 4 wheel drive selection levers have developed a lot of play and were rattling throughout my drive. Guess fixing the play would be a minute's job.

I could not check the Alternator but have told the mechanic to thoroughly check it while the new re-wiring is done. The electricals & meters were not working when I took the test drive. He has assured completely new wiring with all New relays, fuses & bulbs. The meter harness would be checked and any faulty component would be replaced if required.

The suspension setup is being overhauled. Recambering the leafs is being taken care of.

All Oils would be changed, fuel tank would be cleaned, so would be the Radiator.

Quote:
Then use the vehicle for a Few months. You will get familiar with the vehicle and will know what to rebuild or modify.

2) Do the body work in the hottest and driest months.
As you are living in a coastal area, get the body properly cleaned and then primed. Avoid/minimize the use of metal paste/Green Paste/bondo to even out tinkering blemishes, this absorbs moisture and will rust the body under the primer and paint.
I did a mistake here , the body work has already started. Paint has been scrapped off. Primer & Red Oxide coat would be applied post my inspection tomorrow. I had to get the body & seat work done because the seats had no cushion at all, the body was chipping badly and had holes on the floor.

I have underlined the point of minimizing the use of metal /green / bondo paste while tinkering. Will instruct the garage guy to follow the same.

Quote:
3) Buy the tyres after the complete rebuild and after a few OTRs.
As per your instructions I am least bothered about the tyres as of now. Most of them are pretty neat except the right - rear side tyre which would be swapped with the stepeny.

After a couple of OTRs, I would look forward to change them.

Some queries regarding Tyres :-

1. Is 7.00x16 NDMS available in the market ? How much does it cost ?
2. Is it a direct fit on the existing Rims or do I have to get any modifications done ?

Thanks for all your suggestions. Will surely abide by them.

Most Viewed