Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2008, 11:28   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Hi,

1. P4 engine or simpsons s4 engine is a good choice. It is about 3000 cc in displacement and generates about 65 hp and about 20-22 kgm torque. Iam not sure about engine mountings but i have seen Mahindra jeeps fitted with S4 engines from factory

2. 3 speed gear box is a straight fit and you dont have to forego 4wd. I have driven a jeep with such combination and the jeep was flying!

3. This is a very torquey engine and silent in operation. The only problem could be parts availability.

I feel it is definately a better choice compared to your current international engine.
Agreed Vinod, but that Engine is HEAVY, really HEAVY. I somehow dont like Heavy engines. The net result which is power to weight will be more or less the same.

And everything appears fine as long as one is not stuck!
Old 31st October 2008, 11:37   #92

Hello all - Behram here - Dear Sabareesh - the Simpsons P4 and the copied Cooper MVC4 were fitted on Jeeps rolled off the assembly line in Kandivli in 1980 / 81. The P4 has phenomenal torque but its mountings are different so you will have to get OEM brackets from the secondhand market. The exhaust manifold has to be packaged so that the exhaust pipe entry is from the front side of the engine. The front exhaust pipe has a big U shape. Axle ratio remains 4.27:1.
Old 31st October 2008, 13:43   #93
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
Now my questions :-

1. Is the Engine a direct fit on CJ 500D or are any modifications to the engine mounts required ??

2. Would the Engine match the 3 Speed Gearbox of CJ 500D or will i have to add the gearbox of FJ 740 to my JEEP ?

3. Last and most important question... Can the 4 Wheel Drive retained with any of the above mentioned permutation combinations ??

Any suggestions in this regards would be greatly helpful.
1. Dont think so. You probably need to get some mountings changed.

2. I have an opinion that as much as possible go with what came with the engine. i.e. stick to the gearbox which came along with the engine.

3. Yes it can be. But do consult your garage.

Now coming to weight: The S4 is almost 150 kgs more heavier then the MDI2500A engine. I am not sure of the weight difference but i think its there about. Folks do correct me if i am wrong.

Torque:
S4: 23 kgm @ 1400 rpm.
MDI: 14 kgm @ 1400 rpm.

Power:
S4: 64 bhp @ 2400 rpm.
MDI: 40 bhp @ 2300 rpm.

If i was you i would go with the S4 engine. But would wholly depend upon your garages capability and also the effort which would go into it.

Here we are assuming that both engines are in good health.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you guys think we can have a different thread for this maybe the mods can do the same and make this a new thread - Axle Ratios for Mahindra Jeeps.

Now i have a question for the folks here, Behram sir if you would know.

For FJ470 DS4 (the S4 engined) had an axle ratio of 4.27
For FJ470 DP (The XDP 4.90 engined) had an axle ratio of 5.88

My questions are:
1. Firstly is the above correct? I have collected information over the years and this is what i have. Please do let me know.
2. Considering 1 is true. Can the axle on the DP engined be used on any of our jeeps? Considering all parameters.

Also another thing i have noticed with the Mahindra axles. How many axle ratio do we have/had?

I know of:
1. 5.88:1 FJ740/470 DP
2. 5.38:1 CJ340
3. 4.88:1 CL340 Classic MM540/550
4. 4.27:1 FJ740/470 S4
5. 3.73:1 Mahindra Legend, CL 500

Are these all?

If you try and sort out the combinations of engines, gearboxes and the axle ratio of the various models that Mahindra sells and is selling you will do this not once but many times i will keep it at 1 or the mods might come visiting me again.

I did a fair bit of digging around and i am still confused.

Behram sir, does Mahindra keep track or am i the only one doing it?

And finally can i get the 5.88:1 on my 99 model Classic?
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2008, 14:03   #94

Hi Sabareesh,
I had a jeep with P4 engine and KMT90 gearbox in the past. Though very tourquey as most people have mentioned, be adviced that it is not funt to drive around in road. Off the road it performs like a dream. You may want to change your diff-ratios too.
Are you from Trivandrum btw? I am.
Good luck
Prasanth Gopi
Old 31st October 2008, 15:35   #95
BHPian

Thanks for your inputs everyone...An update on the situtation :-

I have told my uncle to store the engine and gearbox for me so that I can collect it next time I visit Trivandrum. Considering that I am getting the Engine and Gearbox FREE,I did not want to lose this opportunity.

I will not be getting the engine transplant done as of now, I will wait for some 6 - 8 months before I leap.

Now the next set of questions :-

1. To what extent drivability ON ROAD would be affected after the transplant ?? My sole purpose of buying the JEEP is offroading but I will have to drive the vehicle some 30 - 60 kms before I reach the offroading trail.

2. Are the spares available for S4 in Mumbai ?? I cannot sit at home with a newly made JEEP whos engine is kaput and hunt for spares at the last moment.

3. Any Mechanics / Enthusiasts who are skilled to do this transplant in Mumbai ??

4. What measures must be taken to compensate the additional weight of the engine on the front suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltime4wd View Post
Hi Sabareesh,
I had a jeep with P4 engine and KMT90 gearbox in the past. Though very tourquey as most people have mentioned, be adviced that it is not funt to drive around in road. Off the road it performs like a dream. You may want to change your diff-ratios too.
Are you from Trivandrum btw? I am.
Good luck
Prasanth Gopi
Thanks for the advice Prasanth, I am based out of Mumbai but my ancestral roots lie near the banks of Karamana River in Trivandrum. Have whole lot of relatives there.
Old 31st October 2008, 16:20   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltime4wd View Post
... be adviced that it is not funt to drive around in road. ...
Could you please elaborate on this? I thought the plentiful torque would make it easy to drive in the city as well.
Old 31st October 2008, 16:22   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the advice Prasanth, I am based out of Mumbai but my ancestral roots lie near the banks of Karamana River in Trivandrum. Have whole lot of relatives there.
OT!! -- me2 have a whole lot of ancestral roots near karamanai in TVM, who knows, may have a link

Great build on your jeep - looking very closely at this thread. All the best.
Old 31st October 2008, 17:45   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Considering that I am getting the Engine and Gearbox FREE,I did not want to lose this opportunity.
Go for it then, it is a good engine! But i think it will perform better on road than off road. Even in offroad situations, it will be great as long as it doesnt get stuck.

Sand and slush may be its weak points, but rock crawling and steep inclines might be its strenghts, i think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Could you please elaborate on this? I thought the plentiful torque would make it easy to drive in the city as well.
I guess so as well senthil, maybe our friend could explain this better, as he has owned that congfiguration and done some offroading !
Old 31st October 2008, 17:57   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
OT!! -- me2 have a whole lot of ancestral roots near karamanai in TVM, who knows, may have a link
My house is also near Karamana River in TVM. Maybe we should start a separate thread for a meet for all of us.

- Jag
Old 4th November 2008, 19:46   #100
BHPian

Hi,

So how is your jeep restoration shaping up? What paint scheme have you decided? I think Military Green (Matt Olive green) will look really nice & very much Mahindra. Please post the pics of the restoration progress part- next..
Old 5th November 2008, 16:45   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Hi,

So how is your jeep restoration shaping up? What paint scheme have you decided? I think Military Green (Matt Olive green) will look really nice & very much Mahindra. Please post the pics of the restoration progress part- next..
I visited the garage last sunday and body work was still being done. I did not take pictures cos there was nothing new apart from scrubbing and primer.

I was planning for the Matt Green, I checked with the Kalyan RTO and they strictly instructed me not to use that color. I can use any other shade of metallic green but it should be applied only on the Body Tub. The chassis has to be painted black.

In short, the entire vehicle cannot be painted green. It has to be green and some other color.

Hope fully this week, the entire body work should be done. Will get some pics for sure this time.
Old 5th November 2008, 18:06   #102
Senior - BHPian

yeah sabaresh, Military green and OG are colors that are banned for public use!
Old 10th November 2008, 11:35   #103
BHPian

Hi All,

As promised, here are some of the pics when I visited the garage yesterday.

Body work is almost done, underbody and wiring will be attended today. Mechanicals and paint should be completed within this week.

Most probably the JEEP should be done by November last week.

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00057.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00058.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00059.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00060.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00061.jpg
Old 10th November 2008, 12:21   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
yeah sabaresh, Military green and OG are colors that are banned for public use!
Man! So much of a difference from your first pic to this one
Old 10th November 2008, 12:32   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most probably the JEEP should be done by November last week.
So does that excite you to get going (i mean charging) with the new look machine
Nice to see the latest status of the jeep. Good going man, will be eager to see it in compleet shape very soon

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks