Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2008, 19:57   #1
BHPian

Montero 4x4 pics

these were taken yesterday
at a friends farm in the shivalik foothills
there was lots of grass on the slopes and neither the montero or the mahindra managed going even half way
but later we managed getting the montero up on a used pathway that had no grass on it
will post a video of the same as soon as it gets edited
enjoycheers:
Attached Thumbnails
Montero 4x4 pics-dsc03134.jpg  

Montero 4x4 pics-19102008166.jpg  

Montero 4x4 pics-19102008167.jpg  

Montero 4x4 pics-19102008170.jpg  

Montero 4x4 pics-dsc03135.jpg  

Montero 4x4 pics-dsc03142.jpg  

Montero 4x4 pics-dsc03147.jpg  

Montero 4x4 pics-dsc03149.jpg  

Montero 4x4 pics-dsc03154.jpg  

eyedoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2008, 21:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

as its often and often said " its the man behind the machine"!

during the 1965 indo-pak war, though pakistan had sabre jet fighters which were far more advanced than indian gnats, but it was again the man behind the machine which made the difference!

so i feel that you guys need to have a better understanding of the vehicle's capabilites and how to use them effectively. also understand the type you terrain.

im sure the tyres of both the vehicles also are a factor for the failure to take on the grass slope!

cheers:

Last edited by Parm : 20th October 2008 at 21:31.
Old 20th October 2008, 23:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

nice to see someone who uses a montero the way it has to be.

cheers.
Old 20th October 2008, 23:38   #4
BANNED

+1
Also pics. taken are very vague & well a tractor would have suited better for the kind of terrain.
Montero is a very capable machine & as Parm said "its the man behind the machine"!
Tyres needed to be changed according to the terrain.
Old 20th October 2008, 23:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

i'm slightly inclined towards older & simpler technology & decade old designs. so here, my vote goes to the MM540. is it a 4/4?? the montero no doubt is an awesome car.
Old 21st October 2008, 11:13   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
as its often and often said " its the man behind the machine"!

during the 1965 indo-pak war, though pakistan had sabre jet fighters which were far more advanced than indian gnats, but it was again the man behind the machine which made the difference!

so i feel that you guys need to have a better understanding of the vehicle's capabilites and how to use them effectively. also understand the type you terrain.

im sure the tyres of both the vehicles also are a factor for the failure to take on the grass slope!

cheers:
yes i agree the tyres were a factor
but it was the grass and the small boulders that make up the hill that were the major factor, since the good monsoons the grass was too dense
have done this same slope earlier during peak summer with air conditioning on
even my friends tractor can't go up this slope unless there is a track
the rear wheels just dig into the rocks
at some cultivated plots rocks have been removed and ploughed
the montero and mm540 had no problem
shall post the video going up on the same slope soon
Old 17th January 2009, 15:24   #7
BHPian

I need to buy a pure off roader in the range of 30 to 70 lacks. It will mostly be used on sand dunes and fields. Can anyone recommend me a proper 4x4 with low ratio. I have tried everything, Cayenne's, X5, ML 320, Q7 but none of these are proper 4x4's and was not impressed by their off road ability. Now my mind is gone on the montero. Is it a better off roader?(Note: my main use is on SAND AND FIELDS).
Old 17th January 2009, 19:40   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I think Montero in diesel and Prado if you don't mind petrol are the only options in India in your price range. If you want to cough up another 30 Lakhs you can consider the Range Rover. Most other vehicles as you mentioned are car based and do not offer Low range. The M class in the US could be ordered with an off-road package which includes under body protection and low range. Not sure if this option is available in India. Cayenne, X5 and Q7 are soft roaders meant to give you the space of an SUV with the ride comort of a sedan.
Old 14th February 2009, 11:36   #9
BHPian

montero pics from rajaji national park

some river bed snaps taken on new years holiday to rishikesh
Attached Thumbnails
Montero 4x4 pics-dsc00927.jpg  

Montero 4x4 pics-dsc00928.jpg  

Montero 4x4 pics-dsc00929.jpg  

Montero 4x4 pics-dsc00930.jpg  

Old 14th February 2009, 11:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra_slk View Post
I need to buy a pure off roader in the range of 30 to 70 lacks. It will mostly be used on sand dunes and fields. Can anyone recommend me a proper 4x4 with low ratio. I have tried everything, Cayenne's, X5, ML 320, Q7 but none of these are proper 4x4's and was not impressed by their off road ability. Now my mind is gone on the montero. Is it a better off roader?(Note: my main use is on SAND AND FIELDS).
You can also think about the freelander 2.. it is more on the off roading side, with a few luxuries thrown in!
Old 14th February 2009, 12:56   #11
BHPian

Sun ? sand did u say indra_slk ? what other option than the king of the dunes The Land Cruiser Prado, even if you import a diesel version the cost will be some where in the range of 55 Lakhs all this without Warrenty, but you could get a Prado VX with height adjustable suspenion and Active suspension control with Toyota's full warranty for 44 Lakhs from any Toyota dealer near you ! . Nothing can beat that in my openion.

Oh and each service for this Gaint will be a little expensive at around 2.5K to 5K
Old 14th February 2009, 18:27   #12
BHPian

Just keen on seeing the endy in background how does it perform off road i know there is nt any comparison to the montero But on a scale of ten where does it stand
Old 15th February 2009, 01:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
Just keen on seeing the endy in background how does it perform off road i know there is nt any comparison to the montero But on a scale of ten where does it stand
the endeav is a very capable 4x4
but the rear suspension is too rigid
had a ford 4x4 for 4 years
am finding the montero more refined and with 4 wheel independent suspension, less roll and bounce

dimpa
Old 15th February 2009, 20:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

montero looks impressive on that dry river bed. hope you had a good trip to rishikesh?

montero fits the budget of 30-70 lakhs as a proper 4x4 and offroad usage.

i havent seen any cayenne or x5 or q7 owners in dubai driving their so called SUVs offroad ever!!

or the current prado is also a proper 4x4 with very good off road capabilities with a very good under 20 lakhs price tag! it will do what the above mentioned european brands cant do!
Old 15th February 2009, 21:46   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedoc View Post
the endeav is a very capable 4x4
but the rear suspension is too rigid
had a ford 4x4 for 4 years
am finding the montero more refined and with 4 wheel independent suspension, less roll and bounce

dimpa
So would you say the Montero/Pajero is a more capable SUV than the Endeavour? I’ve taken the Endeavour off-road once a few years ago and it did well.

I’m surprised you like the all-round independent suspension on the Pajero, it might be more comfortable but Mitsubishi owners crib that it lacks travel. I have a Paj with live axles and even that lacks suspension travel in front.
About that hill climb in the first few pictures, did none of the two trucks get up? It’s probably just the tyres, with road tyres wet grass is as bad as ice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks