Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2008, 12:04   #16
BHPian

Drool Drool and more of Drool....... I have just been back from thailand for an extended holliday and I had the pleasure of driving quite a lot of 4x4's starting of with Suzuki Sporty ( nimble yet powerful), Isuzu D'Max pickup ( raw power) but the feel of Jeep wrangler old school open top ( luckily a manual tranny, I have heard they made very few of it) was whoaaooooo , the ease with which the beast took care of the odd logs on the beach was astounding.

PS: I had been throughout a sedan guy with lots of plans for sprucing up my 2006 Baleno LXi but plans scrapped, as that car is going to my wifey and I am getting myself a jeep ( whatever I can manage with the help of UBS).... thanks to couple of your posts like that of Shanawaj and Samurai and Madbull. Lets see where I land up
Old 30th October 2008, 12:05   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
Correct me if i'm wrong, but that is a toyota hilux or atleast one of its older models. An amazing workhorse.

Yeah its a hilux built to a flat deck. It is very well built rig, it sounds good and everything about it is good. Its a perfect big boys toy.
Attached Thumbnails
Not a Gypsy but..-off-roading-179.jpg  

Old 30th October 2008, 13:56   #18
BHPian

Hello-Moto Coorg !

What are the specs on that Samuari !
Does it run the same 1.3 liter 80 bhp engine as in India.

The jeep looks best doing what its built to do.
Does it have PS and climate control as well.
What about the rear seats are they front facing.

Cheers !
Old 30th October 2008, 14:08   #19
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Fabulous country. Not surprising your Samurai impressed your friends. Its a highly respected offroader around the world with a huge fan following.

Those tyres on the Hilux, would you remember what brand? Wondering if that kid is contemplating how to make the truck look meaner than it already is
Old 30th October 2008, 14:26   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
Hello-Moto Coorg !

What are the specs on that Samuari !
Does it run the same 1.3 liter 80 bhp engine as in India.

The jeep looks best doing what its built to do.
Does it have PS and climate control as well.
What about the rear seats are they front facing.

Cheers !
Its pretty much stock and the same 1.3 engine as in India but with PS. No a/c but good heater which is what we need mostly here.
thr is a later version of these here with coil spring, and a/c but they go for same or more price than the wranglers and are really sweet ride. I think gearing on this is different from the Indian one. I could be wrong about that I am just telling by the feel of it. Rear seats are collapsible front facing, the dash and the ergos are diffrent from the gypsy and quieter inside . But overall pretty much the same. Will take some pics of inside over the weekend.
In my wish list I have 31 inch tyres and then Il need 1.6ltr engine and then il need lockers and then Il need 1.6ltr engine etc etc it never ends,does it?

But for now its floats everywhere easily and rescues the heap, sorry jeep

But I know it wont be long before I am stuck, but thats the fun anywaycheers:.
Old 30th October 2008, 14:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Fabulous country. Not surprising your Samurai impressed your friends. Its a highly respected offroader around the world with a huge fan following.

Those tyres on the Hilux, would you remember what brand? Wondering if that kid is contemplating how to make the truck look meaner than it already is
The tyres are Silverstone extreme Mt-117. Thats one lucky kid growing up with some good toys.
Old 30th October 2008, 17:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

Motocoorg,

Great stuff. Can imagine munjarabad and coorg trails in rain. I see only three off roaders. Were you all equipped to get struck and get out of?

You machine looks formidable.

Dwarak
Old 30th October 2008, 18:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motocoorg View Post

But for now its floats everywhere easily and rescues the heap, sorry jeep
Thats a nice piece you have there MC, btw, when it comes to rescue operations, can your vehicle tow / pull a heavier vehicle than it out to safety? I've found that gypsies are bad for towing, in my little experience.
Old 30th October 2008, 18:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Thats a nice piece you have there MC, btw, when it comes to rescue operations, can your vehicle tow / pull a heavier vehicle than it out to safety? I've found that gypsies are bad for towing, in my little experience.
Gypsies are lighter vehicles compared to jeeps or other 4 WD SUVs. Plus the engine power is nearly half of jeeps. So, it can pull lighter vehicles with ease. But, on certain terrains like slush gypsy can perform pretty well as recovery vehicle and pull out jeeps too.

Dwarak
Old 30th October 2008, 18:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Gypsies are lighter vehicles compared to jeeps or other 4 WD SUVs. Plus the engine power is nearly half of jeeps. So, it can pull lighter vehicles with ease. But, on certain terrains like slush gypsy can perform pretty well as recovery vehicle and pull out jeeps too.

Dwarak
Sir, Gypsies are lighter than jeeps I agree, BUT can you explain the other points, If it has a lower engine power, how can it pull a heavier vehicle out in a sandy / slushy / situation.

I dont think thats possible!
Old 30th October 2008, 18:36   #26
Senior - BHPian

Kia Ora!

Excellent pics I spent some time in the North Island and got to ride a few trucks. Never got the opportunity to go on any serious mud bashing and the closes thing to a jeep that I drove was a Rav4
Old 30th October 2008, 20:20   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
Impressive!! what is that vehicle?? Has it been modified?
Its a Jeep Grand Cherokee,looks like a 1994-1999 model.
Old 30th October 2008, 22:23   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Sir, Gypsies are lighter than jeeps I agree, BUT can you explain the other points, If it has a lower engine power, how can it pull a heavier vehicle out in a sandy / slushy / situation.

Neither do I think it is possible for the gypsy with 50bhp to perform tricks unless fitted with better floatation tires and real good driving skills.The OTR when we went to Solegiri, when MM55o got stuck,the willys was doing fine, mukund's gypsy did make it through being the first vehicle.
But once the vehicles got bogged down in slush,even the tractor we got to rescue the jeeps struggled hopelessly. And those of us who were in the Coorg OTR would have seen it for ourselves.
Cheers
Jammy
Old 30th October 2008, 22:52   #29
BHPian

Motocoorg : Welcome to the forum !! The pictures are really amazing.

Your Samurai looks awesome, can you throw some light on the rear axle ?
Old 31st October 2008, 03:00   #30
BHPian

Quote:

In this situation the jeep only needed a lug or little help to get out of the weak spot. we left the rope loose and drove the sammy forward till it lugged while the jeep reversed. And it didn't happen in one attempt.Had the jeep been dead and had no power of its own sammy would have been helpless.

we were only three vehicles and I would like to believe we had enough recovery gear. Its a forest and official offroad track so if we don't turn up to the main gate at a certain time a man with a super rig will come looking for us. Besides we had the mighty hilux but when the jeep was stuck he was away on the other track and couldnt reach him on the radio, meanwhile we gave it a crack.

Thr was another time when even hilux couldn't pull it and we had to high lift it and put abandoned tyre and other stuff under the spinning wheels. The jeep guy was out first time,had loads of power and a heavy foot which made it dig deeper. Otherwise the jeep was well built and very capable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM440 View Post
Neither do I think it is possible for the gypsy with 50bhp to perform tricks unless fitted with better floatation tires and real good driving skills.The OTR when we went to Solegiri, when MM55o got stuck,the willys was doing fine, mukund's gypsy did make it through being the first vehicle.
But once the vehicles got bogged down in slush,even the tractor we got to rescue the jeeps struggled hopelessly. And those of us who were in the Coorg OTR would have seen it for ourselves.
Cheers
Jammy
Yeah mate tyres make a world of difference, with all the power if the wheels are spinning, less or no power is transfered to the ground. Its all about traction and then comes the power. Besides gypsy or samurai likes with stock engine are not the best for tow or rescue. But if thats best help you have I am sure you will give it a crack, we did and it worked

Last edited by GTO : 31st October 2008 at 15:17. Reason: No more than two smilies / post please

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks