Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2008, 22:06   #1
BHPian

People Making Ford GPW types at will

Hello All,

Check out these pictures taken recently, these are from garages of Shimoga, Malnad region of karnataka, it went out on a hunt to find out what types of jeeps are available in the market there and found these jeeps being made, by lesser known mechanics to the Urban world. Interstingly they quoted 2.5 lakhs for one of the Jeep!

Just took these pictures so that all of you can enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
People Making Ford GPW types at will-18102008182.jpg  

People Making Ford GPW types at will-18102008183.jpg  

People Making Ford GPW types at will-18102008184.jpg  

People Making Ford GPW types at will-18102008185.jpg  

People Making Ford GPW types at will-18102008186.jpg  

People Making Ford GPW types at will-18102008187.jpg  

People Making Ford GPW types at will-18102008188.jpg  

People Making Ford GPW types at will-18102008189.jpg  

People Making Ford GPW types at will-18102008190.jpg  

People Making Ford GPW types at will-18102008191.jpg  

Old 31st October 2008, 22:26   #2
BHPian

Good pictures but i have some reservations
It is criminal to alter these old classic beauties. They look cool in their original specs, so whoever is going to restore these Ford GPW's ( & Willys MB 1942 ) should make them in original form.
No offence
Old 31st October 2008, 23:39   #3

Looks excelent except for those damn Horns and Things!! Also, Isnt this the same ideologies behind a Hot Rod???
Old 31st October 2008, 23:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamir567 View Post
Good pictures but i have some reservations
It is criminal to alter these old classic beauties. They look cool in their original specs, so whoever is going to restore these Ford GPW's ( & Willys MB 1942 ) should make them in original form.
No offence
the jeeps though look cool, but they are not identical to the original ones.
before giving them 2.5 laks, just tell them to fit in an original engine.
Old 1st November 2008, 00:13   #5
Team-BHP Support

2.5L for a 2WD Jeep, Geez! Looks like Dabwali has competition. But Malnad guys usually know their Jeeps, this is made for bling bling crowd.
Old 1st November 2008, 00:45   #6
BHPian

the one that he quoted 2.5 was bought by a Bangalore guy is a 4x4 one with horns, craxy stuff etc etc.
I personally haven't been so fond of offroad vehicles until i followed the articles here, BTW there are some real Ford GPWs in Shimoga. I will post some pics soon.
Old 1st November 2008, 01:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

No offence to anyone or to hurt anyone's feelings....but these jeeps are not at all off road worthy....they are just for people who want a jeep to show off a macho image or to satisfy an ego of owing a jeep.

i like the "ON TEST" plate on the jeep, though!
Old 1st November 2008, 09:16   #8
BHPian

@ Parm

I totally disagree with u. These Ford's are among the best offroad machines of all times.
I have been using Ford GPW 1942 for the last 18 years n impressed by the performance.
If you want to see videos then you can watch them on
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
search for
Islamabad Jeep Club

Thanx
Old 1st November 2008, 10:29   #9
BHPian

Quote:
@ Parm

I totally disagree with u. These Ford's are among the best offroad machines of all times.
I have been using Ford GPW 1942 for the last 18 years n impressed by the performance.
search for
Islamabad Jeep Club

Thanx
Hi Aamir, I think Parm is trying to say that these are not Fords jeeps in the first place. Hence they are not offroad worthy. But like Samurai said, mechanics in these hilly areas know their jeeps well, so Off-roading worthiness should not be a problem(these Jeeps are not made from the scratch and not all Jeeps here are 2WD).

@Bruce: My quest for a Jeep took me to Shimoga as well and I would warn you against done-up Jeeps. If you are an originality buff, these Jeeps have too many things that need to be undone. Also be careful with Middlemen\Brokers and the documents. I had a bad experience with them, so thought I'll warn you. PM me if you want to know more. I know for fact that these are mostly Willys CJ3B or Mahindra CJ3Bs (any Short Chassis High-Bonnet Jeeps) that have been modified to look like Fords\Willys. They manufacture everything right from Gunracks to Jerry Cans to Blackout Lights. The windshield in your first picture is a signature design by them, it has handles to get into the Jeep as well as aluminium strips to hold the glass.

But I must admit, they are made to better taste than Dabwali or Pollachi. The fabrication quality is next only to Hyderabad though.

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 1st November 2008 at 10:40.
Old 1st November 2008, 10:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Hi Aamir, I think Parm is trying to say that these are not Fords jeeps in the first place. Hence they are not offroad worthy.

But I must admit, they are made to better taste than Dabwali or Pollachi. The fabrication quality is next only to Hyderabad though.
Yeah,
I guess Parm was only trying to say about the done-up jeeps and not the orginal Ford ones. There can't be any question about their off-road capabilities. But i think the quality of these jeeps will be far better than those in Dabwali; they even use the cheapest quality of metal which rusts to hell in six months time, forget about the 4x4s! Further, in Karnataka, I guess the expertise about the actual jeep technicalities (including 4x4) are far better. 2.5L might be bit higher, but if its available with active 4x4 within 2.2L (with a thorough quality check offcourse), its not a bad deal for those who can't own the original GPW's due to their higher cost.
Old 1st November 2008, 10:53   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
No offence to anyone or to hurt anyone's feelings....but these jeeps are not at all off road worthy....they are just for people who want a jeep to show off a macho image or to satisfy an ego of owing a jeep.

i like the "ON TEST" plate on the jeep, though!
Quote:
@ Parm

search for
Islamabad Jeep Club

Thanx
@aamir,

What Parm is trying to say is that these JEEPs are not the Original Ford GPWs or Willys MB's these are the local made replicas for people who want a JEEP only for the show factor. You can refer to the thread posted by Susan when he had visited Dabwali. Here is the link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...ali-jeeps.html

Like most of the refurbished JEEP markets in Dabwali, Bhatinda, Moga, Mayapuri, these JEEPs have a Diesel Engine and are 2WD.

We all are aware of the off-roading capabilities of great marvels like Ford GPW, Willys MB & the CJ series.
Old 1st November 2008, 13:12   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
@Bruce: My quest for a Jeep took me to Shimoga as well and I would warn you against done-up Jeeps. If you are an originality buff, these Jeeps have too many things that need to be undone.

I'm not buying anything yet, just on the lookout, found an original Ford GPW, left hand driven, but, the owner has replaced the engine to a diesel, the tank is below the drivers seat etc
Thanks mate i will PM you,

These are not FORD GPW, but those types, the mechanics are skiled enough to make a 4x4 offroad vehicle for you, some one told me that a lot of people from bangalore are on the lookout and that has increased the price, most of the jeeps being made are just for show off, but some are not.
Old 11th February 2011, 22:53   #13

Re: People Making Ford GPW types at will

If you make a GPW look a alike, atleast follow some guidelines so the jeep you are making be pleaseant to others.
Old 11th February 2011, 23:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aamir Bhai, this statement alone is a testament to these hand-crafted jeeps. Please note these are NOT GPW's and made from (guessing) some high bonnet example like a CJ3B, etc...

Malnad guys - your work can deceive even a 18year owner of a REAL GPW. Kudos...
Old 12th February 2011, 13:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Seen some of these even in Bangalore jeepers. All high bonnets, cut down to sizes of Ford GPWs. Has anybody noticed the pictures above? Gypsy engine is plonked in the jeep.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks