Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2008, 18:46   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
@ Suresh:

The gears, bevel gears used in the gearboxes for HMIL are made of OCF steel and machined directly to finish tolerances. BTW, OCF is Orbital Cold Forging process.
Thanks a lot headers. Interesting. I presume that HMIL is Hyundai motors. Does the OCF process is followed by fine blanking also?. This means are you depending on the work hardening alone for the case hardness? . If so what is the hardeness it achieves?. This process is reasonabily straight forward for spur gears and straight tooth bevels,How are you making helical gears and Spiral bevels?. Are you using medium carbon steels? curious to know. Kindly throw some light
Suresh
Old 20th November 2008, 20:44   #77
Senior - BHPian

@ Suresh:

Yup HMIL is Hyundai Motors India Ltd, OCF is a process wherein fine blanks are cold forged and the bore are finished in machining. the gear teeth are formed during the OCF and only finish de-burring is done on the machines.

Having done bevel gears, i'd assume that a similar process of forging holds good for helical gears and the like. The cost of manufacture comes down in this process wherein the traditional gear cutting machines are eliminated. Regarding the material, Guess they are meduim carbon steels, am not sure as i did that work some time ago. Can check up my archive and confirm.

BTW, I'm no expert in material sciences.

IIRC, The criticality is in the concentricity of the main bore and the pcd of the gear teeth diameter.

Last edited by headers : 20th November 2008 at 20:46.
Old 20th November 2008, 23:06   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
@ Suresh:

Yup HMIL is Hyundai Motors India Ltd, OCF is a process wherein fine blanks are cold forged and the bore are finished in machining. the gear teeth are formed during the OCF and only finish de-burring is done on the machines.

Having done bevel gears, i'd assume that a similar process of forging holds good for helical gears and the like. The cost of manufacture comes down in this process wherein the traditional gear cutting machines are eliminated. Regarding the material, Guess they are meduim carbon steels, am not sure as i did that work some time ago. Can check up my archive and confirm.

BTW, I'm no expert in material sciences.

IIRC, The criticality is in the concentricity of the main bore and the pcd of the gear teeth diameter.
Thanks Headers,
OCF is a relatively new process is'nt it? Since these gears run at low speeds, accuracy requirements are also low.Must be a very economical process with lot of material/machining time saving. BTW what is the typical pitch error these products get by this process? (I work in the field of gearing and hence this interest)
Regards,
suresh
Old 21st November 2008, 10:04   #79
Senior - BHPian

Fighter Aircrafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suresh Stephen View Post
(I work in the field of gearing and hence this interest)
...just that you design Auxillary Gearboxes for 700BHP+ with in 40Kgs, for Fighter Aircraft.
Old 25th November 2008, 12:36   #80
BHPian

iam uploading some pictures of my MM340. Please comment
Old 25th November 2008, 12:44   #81
BHPian

Done. I think its uploaded.
Attached Thumbnails
MM 340 - Doubt for the gurus-img010.jpg  

MM 340 - Doubt for the gurus-img011.jpg  

MM 340 - Doubt for the gurus-img012.jpg  

MM 340 - Doubt for the gurus-img014.jpg  

Old 26th November 2008, 10:18   #82
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am also trying to source a hand brake kit for my CJ 340. But the cable is very hard to find. Do you guys know where I can source the same from. I have all other things that is required to setup the hand brake.

Babu
Old 26th November 2008, 10:45   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Baburajs - Please take a closeup of the vehicle identification plate on the dashboard and post it. This will show the original model etc. Your vehicle seems to be a "CL340 non-classic" from which the all important 4 wheel drive has been removed which is very sad. The rework on the front exhaust pipe clearly indicates so, as does the front axle beam. The transmission mounting cross member spacer does not seem to be original. Please also post some detailed photographs of the underfloor for further comments on transfer case, rear axle orientation, propeller shaft dress level and clutch cross shaft orientation.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 26th November 2008, 11:29   #84
BHPian

Yes Behram sir,

Its very sad indeed. I am now restoring the 4 wheel drive in this vehicle. Will post the pictures of the same. This is a CJ340DP 1991 model.

I didnt understand the spacer bit. I dont know which is that part. If its not original does it need to be changed. I am now restoring the vehicle with the original 5.38 differential ratio.
Old 26th November 2008, 15:20   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baburajs View Post
Hi Guys,

I am also trying to source a hand brake kit for my CJ 340. But the cable is very hard to find. Do you guys know where I can source the same from. I have all other things that is required to setup the hand brake.

Babu
Baburaj,

i recieved this email from Jeep Thrills group.There is a guy who is selling handbrakes and cables. His name is > >Vinay Thomas> >+919342265775"

Not sure if he still has those cab
Old 27th November 2008, 10:08   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wads78 View Post
Baburaj,

i recieved this email from Jeep Thrills group.There is a guy who is selling handbrakes and cables. His name is > >Vinay Thomas> >+919342265775"
Not sure if he still has those cab
Man, he is a moderator of jeepthrills and UBS Sir was kind enough to source some kits and ready to send across fellow jeepers. As per as I know Vinay is co-ordinating this.
Old 1st December 2008, 17:16   #87
BHPian

Today I finalised on the back differential which is a free floating type. Also got hold of a good gear box and front differential too. Will post the photos as soon as possible .

It is a great feeling in restoring a old jeep. I dont know I feel like I have the responsibility in restoring this jeep to its former glory.

Hello Guys,

One more doubt. I am trying to set up a differential ratio of 5.38:1. My engine is the stock XDP engine and tyres are 235/75/R-15. My doubt is if i have a ratio of 5.38:1 how will be the drivability on normal freeway roads. I need moderate drivability on normal roads and should be a good off roader. Please help

With Best regards
Babu

Last edited by GTO : 2nd December 2008 at 10:42. Reason: Please use the EDIT button instead of typing one post after another!
Old 2nd December 2008, 19:25   #88
BHPian

Guys,

Please answer the question. then I will have to decide on the differential ratios.

Babu
Old 3rd December 2008, 08:57   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Baburajs - you have the "non-classic" CL340 which is 5.38:1 (43/9). Driveability on road in 2WD will not be very good because of the axle ratio. You will feel that the engine is overrevving all the time. But please do not change from 5.38 to anything else because 5.38 is best for actual offroading purposes in 4WD.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 3rd December 2008, 11:37   #90
BHPian

I also dont intend to change the ratio. Just wanted a confirmation. The jeep is for OTRs and occasional freeway driving. But to reach the OTR place also i need to drive right. That was the only doubt that I had.

Thanks guys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks