Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2008, 12:32   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baburajs View Post
One more query. Where can I get the mahindra classic Rims. Which has the spokes in Bangalore. (used or new). What is the size of these rims. Is it 15 or 16 inchers. And how reliable are the spokes.
Bad choice. Catch rust easily, cannot be cleaned. But are quite strong. Used them for about 4 years on the Classic and then dumped them and started using CJ340 rims for offroading.

Rims are 15 inchers.
Old 5th November 2008, 15:29   #17
BHPian

cj 340 rims are normal steel rims right
Old 5th November 2008, 15:37   #18
BHPian

So here is the list of things that I will do to my baby after i get it this weekend

1. Enable the disabled 4X4
2. Attach seat belts ( safety is also a concern)
3. Have hand brake installed ( for city driving)
4. Check for the compression of the engine and if any problems rebuild it(I doubt there are any problems)
5. Check for suspension system and if needed over haul it
6. Minor paint jobs
7. Replace the seats

I am driving her from kerala to bangalore on this weekend. Please advice what are the things that have to be taken care . I have asked my mechanic there to do the following

Check radiator for any leaks - fill with 1:1 coolant / water
check for the lights and make sure they are working. Change to 90/100 philps rally( do we require a relay here)
Grease the vehicle well
do a wheel alignment and balancing.

Is there anything that I have over looked.
Old 5th November 2008, 16:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suresh Stephen View Post
Dear BabuRaj,
If you are willing to bring your jeep close to Ramamurthy Nagar area, I can introduce you to my mechanic. He does 4wd conversions and is a reasonable person. My CJ 340 is maintained by him for the past 9 years.
If you wish so, please give me a call in 9448352441.
Suresh

@ Suresh has not Sudhee, the main mech left for Dubai ?? Currently who takes care of jeep out there ??
Old 5th November 2008, 16:11   #20
BHPian

Quote:
So here is the list of things that I will do to my baby after i get it this weekend

4. Check for the compression of the engine and if any problems rebuild it(I doubt there are any problems)
6. Minor paint jobs
7. Replace the seats

I am driving her from kerala to bangalore on this weekend. Please advice what are the things that have to be taken care . I have asked my mechanic there to do the following

check for the lights and make sure they are working. Change to 90/100 philps rally( do we require a relay here)
Grease the vehicle well

Brakes..buddy...brakes!

Jokes apart. Get brakes checked, which is very important nomatter whether its long or short drive.

Cheers!
-Vaspro
Old 5th November 2008, 16:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:

6. Minor paint jobs
7. Replace the seats

Grease the vehicle well

@ Baburaj from which part of kerala are you driving the jeep down to B'lore. I had driven my 540 from kottayam couple of years back when i had picked her up initially. I started at 6 in the morning and reached b'lore at around 7:00pm after multiple stops in between. On couple of stretches the engine temp came upto 90 but they did fall immediately when i shifted the gear to neutral. You would probably want to fit a reservoir and fill the radiator with coolant and water instead of just water.

Check the tyres, change the engine oil and may be you could remove the front JOINT ( as its called in kerala ) so that your jeep rolls more freely and later you can get it fixed once in b'lore..

Happy Journey !!
Old 5th November 2008, 16:43   #22
BHPian

I forgot to add that to the list. Had already asked the mechanic to do that.
Old 5th November 2008, 18:03   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
@ Baburaj from which part of kerala are you driving the jeep down to B'lore. I
----
Check the tyres, change the engine oil and may be you could remove the front JOINT ( as its called in kerala ) so that your jeep rolls more freely and later you can get it fixed once in b'lore..

Happy Journey !!
I am driving it from thrissur. What soes front Joint mean.(Sorry I am a newbie ). I will check the tyres . The engine oil was changed around 500Kms before. How difficult is to fit the reservoir to the radiator.
Old 5th November 2008, 18:10   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baburajs

Grease the vehicle well

Hi Baburaj, make sure all the meters in the dashboard are working properly before you take the journey. Check for any oil leakage underneath. check with fan belt. if it is too old then replace it.
Old 5th November 2008, 19:17   #25
BHPian

Hi Baburaj. I just drove a MM540 from Manglore to Pune last week in one 19hr stretch with small 20 minute breaks in between. Nothing untoward happened on the way, since majority of the journey was on 4-laned NH4, but after i got back, the very next morning the alternator seized, there was oil in the radiator water,there was some exhaust gas leaking from where the exhaust pipe leaves the engine and there was diesel leaking from the fuel pump.

My point is that you will need to keep monitoring the jeep every time you stop and check on a few basic things like radiator water, charging current, oil pressure, belt noise, belt play, gear throw, clutch play etc.Everytime you stop for a rest, before starting again, just look under the Jeep to check for leakages.

And most importantly, please take your own sweet time to get used to flicking the jeep right and left while overtaking other vehicles, you will most definitely end up over or understeering it. Another tip wil be to conciously make an effort to get a feel of where exactly the front left wheel is while driving. Wear comfortable clothes, a good pair of glasses,stay hydrated and be confident. Leave all ego behind. (There will be lots of
poeple to test your patience, believe me.)

You will cherish the sense of accomplishment once you get back! Good Luck and GodSpeed!
Old 5th November 2008, 19:20   #26

Baburajs,

Make sure that the fan belt is in good condition and not set too loose

Ensure that the water pump is functioning correctly.

Ensure that the wheel cylinders are not jammed, this can be done by jacking up each end and turning the wheels when in neutral.

Best of luck!

Kodava
Old 5th November 2008, 23:03   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I am driving it from thrissur. What soes front Joint mean.(Sorry I am a newbie ). I will check the tyres . The engine oil was changed around 500Kms before. How difficult is to fit the reservoir to the radiator.
I think what jango meant by front joint is the front propeller shaft. Anyways as per the description of your jeep, the shaft has been already removed. but try to find and get the shaft along as its very difficult to source a original one. Ask the previous owner if he had preserved it.
Old 6th November 2008, 17:15   #28
BHPian

Baburajs, please confirm that your "new" MM340 is running the original XDP engine. Most 2wd converts have their engines swapped with used Toyota / other asian units. You never know!

Congratulations on the purchase.
Old 6th November 2008, 18:07   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
I think what jango meant by front joint is the front propeller shaft. Anyways as per the description of your jeep, the shaft has been already removed. but try to find and get the shaft along as its very difficult to source a original one. Ask the previous owner if he had preserved it.
Yupp. Baburaj that's a commom term used in Kerala. BTW can we have some pic of your jeep please.
Old 6th November 2008, 19:00   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
Baburajs, please confirm that your "new" MM340 is running the original XDP engine. Most 2wd converts have their engines swapped with used Toyota / other asian units. You never know!

Congratulations on the purchase.
I have checked this. It indeed has a XDP engine.

I also want to have hand brake fixed in to my jeep for city drive. Toe tailing may not be always possible in stop and move traffic. Is this possible and if possible how can this be done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks