Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2008, 09:27   #46
BHPian

I stay in whitefield. I dont think there is any decent mechanic in that area. I think rammurthy nagar is close by. Can I bring down the vehicle this weekend. Can you introduce me with the mechanic.
Old 13th November 2008, 15:54   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baburajs View Post
I stay in whitefield. I dont think there is any decent mechanic in that area. I think rammurthy nagar is close by. Can I bring down the vehicle this weekend. Can you introduce me with the mechanic.
yes. Please give me a call
Suresh
Old 15th November 2008, 09:54   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Jango,

How do you drive the jeep in Bangalore without changing the registration. Will not the cops make a meal of you. I was thinking about changing the registration. Tell me the trick man.
Mostly cops in B'lore don't bother about jeeps. They often assume its some Govt vehicle and don't even stop you. I never had any bad experience with the cops out here. Having said that if you want to get the registration changed, get an NOC from kerala, pay the karnataka tax, get a new registration done and start using it.

PS : Do you plan to make your jeep an everyday drive ??

Last edited by jango : 15th November 2008 at 09:56.
Old 16th November 2008, 08:17   #49
BHPian

I had gone to gujili yesterday. Got 2 seat belts fior the Jeep and also the dials were repaired.

I also enquired of the things required for converting my jeep to a 4 wheel drive. There were two options for the same. Gurus here please help me.

One was to fix a Armada gear box which replaces the current 5 speed gear box and have the front differential, propeller shaft , axles crown and pinion and all other things required fixed in to the Jeep.

The second option was to attach a seperate gear box(dont know if its a gear box should be ) to the existing gear box and have the levers for 4 wheel drive coming from there. This new gear box had options to drive both rear and fron wheels but in this case the rear housing has to be changed and the connection from this new gear box to rear will be a little angled and not straight as in the Armada gear box.

I dont know is I have explained it well as I am new to this. But please advise which is best.

The first option is costing around 12K with exchange of my gear box and second around 11 K.

I will be going with a mechanic in to the gujili today to buy things as he will know which is good and which is bad.

So guys please help me out..

Waiting for your inputs...
Old 16th November 2008, 18:13   #50
BHPian

Quote:
I had gone to gujili yesterday. Got 2 seat belts fior the Jeep and also the dials were repaired.

I also enquired of the things required for converting my jeep to a 4 wheel drive. There were two options for the same. Gurus here please help me.

One was to fix a Armada gear box which replaces the current 5 speed gear box and have the front differential, propeller shaft , axles crown and pinion and all other things required fixed in to the Jeep.

The second option was to attach a seperate gear box(dont know if its a gear box should be ) to the existing gear box and have the levers for 4 wheel drive coming from there. This new gear box had options to drive both rear and fron wheels but in this case the rear housing has to be changed and the connection from this new gear box to rear will be a little angled and not straight as in the Armada gear box.

I dont know is I have explained it well as I am new to this. But please advise which is best.

The first option is costing around 12K with exchange of my gear box and second around 11 K.

I will be going with a mechanic in to the gujili today to buy things as he will know which is good and which is bad.

Dear Sir,

I guess, with 2nd option, the mechanic here is suggesting to install a Transfer Case to existing G'Box. It will also work well, but again expert opinion is a must regarding ratios etc.
Advice will be to post some existing interior/ underbody pics of your jeep then let the experts like Arka, Samurai, Behram sir & all to give you proper advice.
Old 16th November 2008, 18:31   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Advice will be to post some existing interior/ underbody pics of your jeep then let the experts like Arka, Samurai, Behram sir & all to give you proper advice.
Everytime somebody calls me a Jeep expert and sandwiches me between likes of Arka and Behram (no less), I can feel my hair standing straight. I don't know 1% of what these guys know about Jeeps.
Old 16th November 2008, 19:36   #52
BHPian

Quote:

Dear Baburaj,
Cj340 do not come orginally with a 5 speed gearbox( I mean 5 forward speed and a reverse). Meaning your gearbox is changed. What about the engine? is it orginal ?. It may be practically difficult to connect a transfer case to the 5 speed gearbox and make it a 4wd unless it is orginally designed to attach a transfer case. ou may like to check the gearbox mating with the engine now. You need to change the complete assembly. Armada's gearbox assembly(4 forward and one reverse) with a transfercase will fit in directly. If iam not wrong, the transfer case ratio of Armada is the same as MM 540 (4.88:1).whereas the CJ 340 has 5.38:1).I assume that the front differential is removed. First You need to confirm the rear differential ratio. One main reason of CJ340's performance is its differential ratio. You may like to bring it to the orginal.Make sure that both front and rear has the same differntial ratio. While this being done it may be a good idea to convert the rear axle from semi to full floating type. Trust this helps
Suresh
Old 16th November 2008, 23:01   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suresh Stephen View Post
Dear Baburaj,
Cj340 do not come orginally with a 5 speed gearbox( I mean 5 forward speed and a reverse). Meaning your gearbox is changed. What about the engine? is it orginal ?. It may be practically difficult to connect a transfer case to the 5 speed gearbox and make it a 4wd unless it is orginally designed to attach a transfer case. ou may like to check the gearbox mating with the engine now. You need to change the complete assembly. Armada's gearbox assembly(4 forward and one reverse) with a transfercase will fit in directly. If iam not wrong, the transfer case ratio of Armada is the same as MM 540 (4.88:1).whereas the CJ 340 has 5.38:1).I assume that the front differential is removed. First You need to confirm the rear differential ratio. One main reason of CJ340's performance is its differential ratio. You may like to bring it to the orginal.Make sure that both front and rear has the same differntial ratio. While this being done it may be a good idea to convert the rear axle from semi to full floating type. Trust this helps
Suresh
By 5 speed I meant 4 forward and 1 reverse. Its the original gear box of CJ 340. I will certainly take care of the differential ratios when doing the work. And will keep in mind of the full floating axle. I am not getting time to click the picture of the Jeep due to many things (My phone doesnt have good camera). So will post the pictures as soon as I click it.
Old 17th November 2008, 06:11   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
OT: Oh thats why i dont get through his number. If someone can tell us who is looking after the Jeeps now. Once i an back i am paying him a visit.

Why did he have to go to Dubai. With the amount of Jeeps being bought here in Bangalore, he was better of out here.

Less work, more money?
Old 17th November 2008, 10:41   #55
BHPian

Quote:
By 5 speed I meant 4 forward and 1 reverse. Its the original gear box of CJ 340. I will certainly take care of the differential ratios when doing the work. And will keep in mind of the full floating axle. I am not getting time to click the picture of the Jeep due to many things (My phone doesnt have good camera). So will post the pictures as soon as I click it.
Makes your life at lot easier. The orginal cj340 Gear box comes with the 4wd transfer case also. You will require only the front differential (if it is missing)with the drive axle then. If the gear levers are missing, they also. not a very expensive affair. You can add free wheeling hubs. It helps.
Suresh
Old 17th November 2008, 11:53   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Makes your life at lot easier. The orginal cj340 Gear box comes with the 4wd transfer case also. You will require only the front differential (if it is missing)with the drive axle then. If the gear levers are missing, they also. not a very expensive affair. You can add free wheeling hubs. It helps.
Suresh
Will the free wheeling hubs turn to be so useful. The CJ 340 comes with semi floating axles and I have heard that they are quite capable and quite safe. Please suggest. Any way I am restoring the Jeep so if its advisable to go for a free floating type then I will have to attend to that.
Old 17th November 2008, 13:10   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By 5 speed I meant 4 forward and 1 reverse.
This is the biggest joke I heard 2 years ago while i did my assembly / overhaul of my CJ3B!

I too wanted to plonk a bigger engine, etc etc but somehow THAT vehicle seem to be cursed and hence I had to give it away!

Most mechanics use the local lingo and count the reverse in the number of gears of the gearbox!
Old 17th November 2008, 17:54   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Will the free wheeling hubs turn to be so useful. The CJ 340 comes with semi floating axles and I have heard that they are quite capable and quite safe. Please suggest. Any way I am restoring the Jeep so if its advisable to go for a free floating type then I will have to attend to that.
Dear Baburaj
Iam using a 91 model cj340 for the past 9 years. Very recently only I have fitted a free wheeling hub. It has made a difference in the steering. It is a lot more comfortable. Though I have not verified,With the complete front drive line from the transfer case to the wheels being idle, It should make a difference in fuel consumption and obviously the drive line life will be enhanced. The flop side is that you have one more mechanical element to take care and if you are getting stuck in a wrong place you will end up in comming out of the jeep and locking the hub. (It happened to me Forgetting the free wheeling hub I went into a slushy area and ended up getting down into it engaging the freewheeling hub to come out and it was messy.). Even with this experience, I think it is indeed worth having it.
In a semi floating axle, apart from transmitting the torque, the axles carry the load of the wheel also. whereas, in full floating type, the axles transmit only the torque and the wheels are supported independantly. The point is if it is feasible, go for a more stronger system.
One practical aspect what I have seen is. After an Off roading in Coorg where my jeep was fully stuck inside slush and I knew that there is a good amount of mud inside the brake drums It was a sunday night and no mechanic in sight. I drove the jeep back to bangalore and when opened found the drum is damaged. If the axles were full floating, It is very easy to remove the drum and clean it which I myself would have done it . In a semi floating axle, you need a special puller to open the drum. Maybe I must buy a puller otherwise.
I suggested you to look at full floating axle because of the above and since you are anyway working on differentials it is good to have a stronger system
My Jeep still has semi floating axles and I have I have stretched the jeep a good extent also and have no doubt about its capability.. Iam shortly going to convert it to full floating type along with fitting a limited slip differential.
Suresh
Old 17th November 2008, 18:33   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am shortly going to convert it to full floating type along with fitting a limited slip differential.
Suresh
But that also means you have to upgrade to 51 inch axles from non-NGCS MM540/550. The NGCS MM550 has 53 inch axle which may be too long for CJ340. Number of splines will also change, right? I am going to closely watch your upgrade since it is of interest to me. I hope you will post your upgrade experience here.
Old 17th November 2008, 18:59   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Baburaj

My Jeep still has semi floating axles and I have I have stretched the jeep a good extent also and have no doubt about its capability.. Iam shortly going to convert it to full floating type along with fitting a limited slip differential.
Suresh
Hello Suresh,

Thanks for that enlightning info. Will try for converting to free floating hub. But out of my ignorance let me ask a question. CJ340 has a free floating front axle right. So how does the steering become lighter while changing the real axle to a free floating type. And I will call you this week end. Please come and have a look at my jeep (it will be in workshop) and comment what and all have to be done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks