Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2008, 12:26   #1
BHPian

MM 340 - Doubt for the gurus

Hello,

I atlast got my hands on 1991 MM 340 in Kerala. But this one is converted to 2 wheel drive now. Can any one tell me can I change it back to 4 wheel Drive. I need it desperately. How costly can this modification be. It has all other original parts. Will post the photos shortly.

How can I increase the power of the engine. Can I fix turbo with intercooler. Or should I plonk in a toyota diesel or any other engine.

I also want to change the front brakes to discs with booster assist. Can this be done and what will be the approximate cost

Last but not the least where can I do this cost effectively in Bangalore or in the surroundings(Hosur, Mysore etc).
Old 3rd November 2008, 14:23   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baburajs View Post
...1991 MM 340 in Kerala. ...
How can I increase the power of the engine. Can I fix turbo with intercooler. Or should I plonk in a toyota diesel or any other engine.

I also want to change the front brakes to discs with booster assist. ...
Wow. That's a first for me. A turbo with intercooler in a 340. I don't know how many jeepers have heard this one before or seen one before.

Best of luck my friend.

PS: Do search around the 4x4 forum a bit and you will get all your answers and more than enough information.

btw, what's the purpose of your jeep acquisition? city driving, chick magnet, rally, off-roading or weekend drives, etc etc.?

Cheers,
Old 3rd November 2008, 15:55   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
.... btw, what's the purpose of your jeep acquisition? city driving, chick magnet, rally, off-roading or weekend drives, etc etc.?

Cheers,
Chick Magnet!!!
Khan, You reminded me of my college days suddenly!
Old 3rd November 2008, 16:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Cj340dp

Hi Baburaj,

For the 4WD system you will need
1) Front Differential Assembly Right Off-Set (Drums/Axles/Crown& Pinion 5.38:1/Hubs/Spindles/bearings etc) (7-10K)

2) Rear Differential Assembly(Drums/Axles/Crown& Pinion 5.38:1/Hubs/Spindles/bearings etc) 7-10K

3) 4Speed 4WD gearbox & T-Case - 15K

4) Front Propeller Shaft & Rear Propeller Shaft

Keep the XDP4.9 Engine or go in for the XD3P (Bolero Engine) its a stock replacement (same bell housing & same engine mounts)

There is however ONE CJ340 with SZ2600 TCIC !!!!!Thats the RED

Quote:
btw, what's the purpose of your jeep acquisition? city driving, chick magnet, rally, off-roading or weekend drives, etc etc.?Cheers,
Its a JEEP it fulfills all the criteria

Regards,

Arka
Old 3rd November 2008, 16:19   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... btw, what's the purpose of your jeep acquisition? city driving, chick magnet, rally, off-roading or weekend drives, etc etc.?..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
.. Its a JEEP it fulfills all the criteria ..
... but ONLY if it's a true blue JEEP. A 2WD dabwali contraption won't fulfill ALL of the above.

Cheers,
Old 3rd November 2008, 19:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

You might PM redmm340. He put a turbo and intercooler with this motor and said it performed well.
Old 3rd November 2008, 20:11   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Hello,

I atlast got my hands on 1991 MM 340 in Kerala. But this one is converted to 2 wheel drive now. Can any one tell me can I change it back to 4 wheel Drive. I need it desperately. How costly can this modification be. It has all other original parts. Will post the photos shortly.
By converting to two wheel drive, most people mean disconnecting the front drive shafts. This means that all parts of the 4x4 system that Arka posted in his thread above is in intact except for the front propeller shaft. . If you find that it doesn't have the front diff or the the transfer case, my money is that this jeep was never a 4x4. Only someone with the IQ of a walnut would go through the expense of buying a two wheel drive gear box without the t-case and remove the front diff to convert it a 4x4 jeep to 2x4.

If the t-case and front diff is *missing*, I suggest pass on these jeep and find a good 4x4.

It is not a big deal to covert to 4x4, but you will need to source the components Arka suggested and find a competent mechanic to do the conversion. Buying used gearboxes are a coin toss since many of the gear box defects appear only when the gear box us under load stress. So if you have a gear box that has been taken off a vehicle, all the gears would shift fine, but once you install it you may notice issues.

Regarding the turbo, my advice is to avoid it since I doubt the stock crank shaft/pistons have the strength to take the turbo boost. Maybe okay to install a mild turbo but remember you need a competent mechanic with some expertise to do it. There are no bolt on kits available for this engine.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 3rd November 2008 at 20:13.
Old 3rd November 2008, 21:54   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Wow. That's a first for me. A turbo with intercooler in a 340. I don't know how many jeepers have heard this one before or seen one before.

Best of luck my friend.

PS: Do search around the 4x4 forum a bit and you will get all your answers and more than enough information.

btw, what's the purpose of your jeep acquisition? city driving, chick magnet, rally, off-roading or weekend drives, etc etc.?

Cheers,
I will be using it for weekend drives and then move on to offroading.
Old 3rd November 2008, 21:56   #9
BHPian

i expect and suspect the conversion done was what 4 X 4 addict mentioned. Will check it once I bring to Bangalore.

Can any one tell me an economic and competent Jeep machanic in Bangalore
Old 4th November 2008, 00:05   #10
BHPian

Baburajs,
Congratulations on getting yourself a classic Jeep. The short wheelbase Jeep is a great offroader and a very rewarding driving experience.

You can fix a turbo to the XDP4.9. I had done this modification several years ago using a Garret T3 turbo along with a small intercooler, revised fuel pump calibration, and an oil cooler. It takes good amount of work to do the fit up and exhaust plumbing, be will give you some solid horsepower an torque gains.

Disc brakes up front are straight forward. You will need new knuckles, discs, calipers. However the power booster is not so easy and I never did do that for my 340. Wont be a problem if you dont mind pushing the brake pedal really hard. But the improvement in braking is very siginficant when you upgrade to front discs.

Quote:
Hello,

I also want to change the front brakes to discs with booster assist. Can this be done and what will be the approximate cost

Last but not the least where can I do this cost effectively in Bangalore or in the surroundings(Hosur, Mysore etc).
Old 4th November 2008, 11:12   #11
BHPian

Will keep you people updated of the progress of my baby. I am doing some minor paint jobs. Will update the photos after that.
Old 4th November 2008, 12:31   #12
BHPian

Dear BabuRaj,
If you are willing to bring your jeep close to Ramamurthy Nagar area, I can introduce you to my mechanic. He does 4wd conversions and is a reasonable person. My CJ 340 is maintained by him for the past 9 years.
If you wish so, please give me a call in 9448352441.
Suresh
Old 4th November 2008, 23:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suresh Stephen View Post
Dear BabuRaj,
If you are willing to bring your jeep close to Ramamurthy Nagar area, I can introduce you to my mechanic. He does 4wd conversions and is a reasonable person. My CJ 340 is maintained by him for the past 9 years.
Suresh
When did you "Invaded" here Suresh? Anyway, welcome to Team-BHP. @Baburaj This is the same Mech who is taking care of my Jeep as well. Thanks to Suresh for introducing me to this guy.

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 5th November 2008, 06:21   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suresh Stephen View Post
Dear BabuRaj,
Suresh

will call you and meet you guys. want to know how my jeep is now
Old 5th November 2008, 11:25   #15
BHPian

One more query. Where can I get the mahindra classic Rims. Which has the spokes in Bangalore. (used or new). What is the size of these rims. Is it 15 or 16 inchers. And how reliable are the spokes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks