Team-BHP - Jeep - Marshall
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Jeep - Marshall (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/48427-jeep-marshall.html)

Dear Mr. Behram,

My name is Vinay Thomas, i have been driving jeeps since very long, i have collection of CJ3B's, models from 63, 72 & 85 all petrol,
My Wife, Son & me are simply crazy for jeeps, i have never thought of a car, since my son is growing up we diecided for a Jeep that to it shoul be closed, So on my hunt i figured out that 550, & Marshall were the best choice,

Will require your help on describing more about a marshall, what exactly is this jeep, in complte & i understand that this is not made any more & so is the 550, well that 's sad,

Please review the above and advise the best,

Best regards
Vinay thomas

am sorry to crash your Party, but if you want your son to love jeeps, then it has to be the CJ3 series i.e. Classic, if you want some thing bigger then the MM550 XDP fits the bill, as for the Marshal, they are fit to be the preferred vehicle for our overstaffed govt depts, better still, why dont you go in for a Invader 4x4 which is available with Mahindra dealers across India??

whitemm550, he already owns a bunch of CJ3 series Jeeps, why suggest him one more?

Vinay, the specs of Marshall is available online, what other info you are asking for?

Mahindra MARSHAL ROYALE - Silver Jubilee Motors - Authorised dealers for Mahindra & Mahindra's vehicles in Maharashtra. INDIA

Dear Sharath,

we wanted something Bigger, closed & 4x4, i pefer traveling with my family on long distance and i felt this was the kind of jeep i was looking for, Armada is there but i didnt like the look, there are quite a few available,

I looking for a opinion from Mr. Behram, as i have heard the engines mounted in the period of 98-99 were the best, the chasis were also the best, the marshals with newer engines werent great, & so on,

so that's the reason i decided for the this thread before i finally lay my hand on one,

well you take care & best regards
Vinay thomas
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 1038892)
whitemm550, he already owns a bunch of CJ3 series Jeeps, why suggest him one more?

Vinay, the specs of Marshall is available online, what other info you are asking for?

Mahindra MARSHAL ROYALE - Silver Jubilee Motors - Authorised dealers for Mahindra & Mahindra's vehicles in Maharashtra. INDIA

Dear Mr.Vinay Thomas - hello to you. I am so happy to see a teamBHP thread started with a request made to me to contibute in it. Thanks.

On the subject of the M&M Marshal, this vehicle is essentially built on the Armada platform and is essentially the 8 seater version of the M&M Commander.

Details of chassis and running gear - the wheelbase is 105.5 inches and the wheel track is either 51 inches or 53 inches, depends on which chassis was used in it. It has 2 types of chassis, the C section (100mm*50mm) and the NGCS (new generation chassis and suspension - 115*60mm). If C section, it had the XDP4.90 engine, the KMT90 transmission, the T18 transfer case and a 5.38:1 ratio equipped fully floating rear axle without flanged axle shafts. The steering gear was mounted next to the RH firewall with a connecting rod and a bell crank transmitting steering torque to the wheels. The tyres were 6.00*16 highway pattern for 2WD and M+S pattern for 4WD. If NGCS, the steering gear moved just behind the front bumper and 195/70R15 / 215/75R15 tyres were used. Some cars used 7.00*15 tyres also. These were essentially >2700 GVW cars.

Details of body & seating configuration - this is an Armada platform derived body with a high roof. Initial cars had a multi piece roof but this was subsequently changed to single piece roof. The Marshal essentially had 5 doors and front facing centre row of seats in 8 seater configuration whereas the Commander had side facing long rear seats in 10 seater configuration.

Hope it clarifies. Please PM me if you need more information.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Dear Mr. Behram,

As per you the Marshal is on the armada Platform, correct me the marshal was in the market much before the Armada,
More over when did the marshal actually came into the market,

As per you the DP was used in the earlier model, which had a C section so when did the NGCS come into production & what was the benefit of NGCS, & what engines were used for NGCS,

What I understand the 98-99 model of the marshal had the best engine & the latter models weren’t so great,
I was told that the Steering is best in the marshal & what was the reason, for this, I still remember driving friends CJ5 on the beach with wide tyres in which he had the marshal steering, and we could very easily maneuver it, felt as if the jeep had a power steering.

Is the marshal with a 4 speed or an 5 speed, & can this be changed to a 5 speed, what all changes do you think I will have to do,

What is the braking system of the marshal?

I am still in a dilemma which to buy a 550 or an Marshal, As explained I am looking for a Jeep bigger in size & suitable for very long drives, Plans of driving from Bangalore to Leh, next year with my family,

On the tyres can I use a 7.50x16,

Well that all for now,

Best regards
Vinay Thomas

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM (Post 1039510)
Dear Mr.Vinay Thomas - hello to you. I am so happy to see a teamBHP thread started with a request made to me to contibute in it. Thanks.

On the subject of the M&M Marshal, this vehicle is essentially built on the Armada platform and is essentially the 8 seater version of the M&M Commander.

Details of chassis and running gear - the wheelbase is 105.5 inches and the wheel track is either 51 inches or 53 inches, depends on which chassis was used in it. It has 2 types of chassis, the C section (100mm*50mm) and the NGCS (new generation chassis and suspension - 115*60mm). If C section, it had the XDP4.90 engine, the KMT90 transmission, the T18 transfer case and a 5.38:1 ratio equipped fully floating rear axle without flanged axle shafts. The steering gear was mounted next to the RH firewall with a connecting rod and a bell crank transmitting steering torque to the wheels. The tyres were 6.00*16 highway pattern for 2WD and M+S pattern for 4WD. If NGCS, the steering gear moved just behind the front bumper and 195/70R15 / 215/75R15 tyres were used. Some cars used 7.00*15 tyres also. These were essentially >2700 GVW cars.

Details of body & seating configuration - this is an Armada platform derived body with a high roof. Initial cars had a multi piece roof but this was subsequently changed to single piece roof. The Marshal essentially had 5 doors and front facing centre row of seats in 8 seater configuration whereas the Commander had side facing long rear seats in 10 seater configuration.

Hope it clarifies. Please PM me if you need more information.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags. Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post. Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support Staff

HI vinay,

Though not as veteran as Mr.Berham Dhabar, these are my 2 cents.

1. If your requirement is long distance driving then i would suggest go for later model Marshal 2000 or marshal DX royale models. The reason is 5 doors and easy entry and exit compared to a MM550. Expect no difference in top speeds and refinement. The top speed of a 4wd marshal is about 90-95 kmph. 2wd marshal can touch 100kmph but they scream thier guts out at that.

2. As Mr. Berham said Marshal is an evoultion of Commander hardtop which initially came with C section chassis with XDP 4.90 2.1 litre engine. Later when MDI 3200 DI engine was introduced with tubular chassis it was named marshal. This had a narrow track on 51'. Later marshal 2000 was introduced with NGCS wide track for better turning radius. with wider front track and narrower rear track. The steering system was also revised with steering box moving just behind the front bumper.

3. Marshal just before being axed was also available with DI turbo and 5 speed NGT 520 gearbox. If you can source this vehicle with 4wd then you would have a most priced pocession.

4. Dont expect much from marshal manual steering. It is very hard. You had driven MM540 with marshal steering box on sand. Further MM540 is 500 kgs lighter than a marshal. Hence you will have a good workout with marshal in city driving with radials.

5. Using 7.50-16 may not be an issue since the engine is torquey. You may loose out a little on initial pickup. Life if 7.50 sand grip is very limited if used on highways.

6. Sourcing a marshal with 4wd is extremely hard. Commander DP 4wd is easy to find.

7. Marshal has booster and drum combo and later models with DI turbo came with discs as well. Braking is not as issue on marshal.

8 Even i feel 98-99 model engines wich pumped 55bhp and about 16.5 kgm torque were the best and were more refined. 58 bhp BSII models were very noisy.

9. I suggest that if you are looking for refinement and if you are not particular about mileage with big jeep advantage then go for armada 4wd with NGCS chassis post year 2000-2001. This vehicle had refined XDP 4.90 engine and is more refined. Braking was also better with discs up front.

Hope this clarifies

With regards

Vinod

Dear vinay,

I suppose you are a jeep thrills member. Since you are from bangalore you must be knowing srinivasans jeep which is basically an armada with Di engine. It is called Explorer. You can bench mark that jeep and they have done kasmir expiditions which you also aspire for. Will post picture of the jeep for you later

Regards Vinod

Vinod, this is the same Vinay who has been officiating at Great Escape, Ramanagara, & Sakeleshpura OTRs. He is a Jeep Thrills moderator.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 1040084)
Vinod, this is the same Vinay who has been officiating at Great Escape, Ramanagara, & Sakeleshpura OTRs. He is a Jeep Thrills moderator.

Samurai,

Then, Vinay is an jeep expert by himself!!! Wonder why is he confused about his choice of jeep.

All i would say, Vinay you already know most of the things, listen to your heart and go for the jeep which appeals the most to your heart :)

regards

Vinod

Why not the Bolero over the Marshal?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinod_nookala (Post 1040126)
....Then, Vinay is an jeep expert by himself!!! Wonder why is he confused about his choice of jeep. ...

In matters of advise to others we all are experts but when it comes to oneself even the sages and experts have their own doubts :D.

Jokes apart, I think he wanted Mr Behram's second opinion on what all he had heard about the Marshall was true or not.

Cheers,

Dear Vinay - in my opinion, the Bolero VLX is the car for you. It has the CRDe and the NGT530R which are Scorpio derived aggregates. It is available only in 2WD though.

If you want to buy used, buy a Bolero 4WD with the XD3/BA10.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

@Vinay: Not to add any more confusion - but since you already have two M&M Jeep's and when you are particularly looking for long distance drives, why are you not considering Trax Judo? I hear that they are extremely comfortable on road (and of course, off-road)

-GT-

guys any of u know of early model gypsy for sale..no accidents even if they are run down its ok...let me know...around 50k !! am located in blor