Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2008, 18:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Could you please post clearer pics of the adapter plate : it seems bent in certain places.

ok, time to increase my post count too .

The new 1.3 MPFI develops 10.5 kgm at 4500 rpm, so I doubt if the 1.3 carb. could give 10kgm at 3300rpm (which is pretty low rpm for a petrol engine). I think , for the 1.3 carb., it should be around 8 kgm at 4500rpm.
Yeah BT, the adaptor plate seemed too thin and hence wanted to check it out!

Regarding the power and torque figures., well, i'm not the one for the numeric figures honestly, but i just love to drive the pants out of any gypsy!, err, any vehicle!

And yeah, chances for Arka and you to increase your post counts.

I do agree that the esteem and gypsy king have the same head and block but different cam, gearbox and final drive, which translates to a different figure than the esteem!

Thanks eagle eyes for pointing this out
Old 25th November 2008, 17:10   #32
BHPian

Finally managed to take the Gypsy on an OTR. The results are quite good. As one of the moderators of Northern India Off-Road Club and a best jeep award winner at the Rajputana Jeep show said "best gypsy I have ever driven, now I want one excatly the same".

The low end torque was quite good. Since the Nissan engine is not very heavy the vehuicle went over every obstacle that was negotiated by ex-Army MM550's. There were some very steep climbs over 7 to 8 feet high, a mud pit and a lake crossing. Godd fun all in all.

Now for the bad part. At some point the fron Diff hit the sump slighly. There is a small desnt a some oil leak. I have asked my mechanic for ways to sort this out as we have already done a suspension lift to avoid this in the first place. The options seem to be between modifyingthe front end of the sump and raising the engine by modifying the engine mounts. Other options are being thought about. Any suggetions would be very welcome.

Cheers
Old 25th November 2008, 18:25   #33
Senior - BHPian

HI,

You can try raising the engine height, by relocating the engine mounts, but not much place to play around in a Gypsy. Also, a little increase in the height of the engine will affect the 4wd tranny.

I had the same problem in my CJ3B 3 years back.

CHeers
Old 25th November 2008, 18:46   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
HI,

You can try raising the engine height, by relocating the engine mounts, but not much place to play around in a Gypsy. Also, a little increase in the height of the engine will affect the 4wd tranny.

I had the same problem in my CJ3B 3 years back.

CHeers
Or fabricate a sump guard with 1/4 in steel sheet and weld it to the sump.
Old 25th November 2008, 18:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

The sump gaurd is to protect the sump from being hit from below: His current problem is the sump is being hit by the engine from above: Is it not?

Unless I got it all wrong!
Old 25th November 2008, 19:48   #36
BHPian

No I believe his problem is engine sump sitting right above the front differential. In normal conditions the differential doesn't touch the sump but in demanding conditions of an OTR where the suspension get compressed to the limit the differnetial hits the sump puncturing it.
Solution to this problem is a suspension lift or engine lift or maybe both. Even after that there is no surety that after a jump in an OTR the differential doesnot hits the sump. If you can modify the sump to accommodate front differential then nothing like it. But I seriously liked your Gypsy in the OTR so work around this problem, It takes some time to reliability in mod jobs.
cheers
vishwas

Quote:
The sump gaurd is to protect the sump from being hit from below: His current problem is the sump is being hit by the engine from above: Is it not?

Old 25th November 2008, 20:05   #37
BHPian

Quote:

I think GoSlow meant the front differential hitting the sump of the engine (oil pan) from below on impact. The suggestion of a steel plate would help somewhat and would be a cheaper option to the wierd suggestion I'm about to make.

My wierd suggestion: Give it even more lift. Raise (lower) the spring mounts, use longer shackles, you will have to get longer prop shafts as well. The Gypsy will look a little like a monster truck with this mod.

Raising the engine mounts any further will make it foul with the body and also stress the gearbox if it's at an angle.

Wierder suggestion: Get a coil spring and plate mounted on top of the differential. Weld a plate across the bottom of the engine (leaving a hole for the drain plug) and let the top of the coil spring rest on it. Here's a bad illustration to point out what I'm talking about.

Brickbats welcome , I'm in just one of my crazy moods.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp wierd diff suspension.bmp (633.2 KB, 804 views)
Old 25th November 2008, 21:10   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
No I believe his problem is engine sump sitting right above the front differential. In normal conditions the differential doesn't touch the sump but in demanding conditions of an OTR where the suspension get compressed to the limit the differnetial hits the sump puncturing it.
Solution to this problem is a
Simple, Measure the distance, make a custom bump stop and fix it instead of the regular bump stop.

A SPOA setup can also be experimented.

Name:  Image00079.gif
Views: 5697
Size:  7.9 KB

Else, you may need to experiment with the engine mount again!
Old 26th November 2008, 00:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

goslow, best of luck for the mods. though i have seen a gypsy with a 2.0 td amby diesel engine, but i think the 1.3 suits with its character.
Old 26th November 2008, 00:56   #40
Senior - BHPian

Djal Gypsy! whats the fun in that.

Anyway great job. Congratulations! Do you have the step by step images of the project.?

PS: It deserves better tyres atleast if not alloys.
Old 26th November 2008, 09:04   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Djal Gypsy! whats the fun in that.
Drive the DJAL gypsy to understand the fun Sir.
Old 26th November 2008, 09:54   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
Solution to this problem is a suspension lift or engine lift or maybe both. Even after that there is no surety that after a jump in an OTR the differential doesnot hits the sump. If you can modify the sump to accommodate front differential then nothing like it. But I seriously liked your Gypsy in the OTR so work around this problem, It takes some time to reliability in mod jobs.
cheers
vishwas
You are right about the problem.

Suspension lift has already happened so dont want to do trhat anymore lest I disbalance the vehicle! Problem with engine lift is that the alignment with the gearbox is just right currently, raising the engine may cause problems. I think the way to go here will be modifying the sump. Spoke to my mechanic yesterday and he wants to take that route. Though I would still like the engine raised by a couple of inches.

Roshan - your weird suggestion 2 is quite ingenious I must say! The fear I have in this is that if the coil spring on the diff travels more or less than the suspension then I may be left with mangled iron fabrications. May still use the 1/4 inch steel plate on top of the above mods.
Old 27th November 2008, 08:52   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Drive the DJAL gypsy to understand the fun Sir.
I did! i was scared stiff after that. and deaf too. Am a petrolhead all the way.

As a jodhpuri fren of mine has a collection of such odd mods. The only two vehicle i really liked was a 550 with nissan engine mated to isuzu4x4. and another a 550 now with a nissan diesel.

Name:  IMG_0042 Medium.jpg
Views: 7964
Size:  78.0 KB

Gypsy Diesel conversion with 4x4-img_0040-medium.jpg

Gypsy Diesel conversion with 4x4-img_0045-medium.jpg

Last edited by SirAlec : 27th November 2008 at 08:53.
Old 27th November 2008, 09:23   #44
BHPian

The Nissan CD17 engine in my gypsy is not noisy at all. Compared to some of the 550s that were that were there at the time of the OTR my vehicle still passed of as a petrol!
Old 28th November 2008, 11:46   #45
BHPian

Why engine swape in MM550. What is the advantage of the new Nissan Turbo engine. Is it better than XDB3?? Do you have the technical specification of this engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks