Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2008, 00:03   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Hi Harjeev. Hope you enjoyed the 14 Dec OTR. Did you speak to my mechanic? Torquative is after him as well. If you want we can mmet up and go to him next weekend.
Hi Ankit,
Thanks a lot for all your support. I did speak to your mechanic. Also I have written you an email and have opened a new thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...ec-bought.html
Thanks again for all your help and see you at the next OTR
Harjeev
Old 17th January 2009, 19:59   #77
BHPian

Gypsy with a diesel swift engine

hi
i have been thinkin of how good and how possible would it be to have a gypsy with a diesel swift engine in it, while retaining the 4*4 .
all suggestions and thoughts are welcome
sharat
Old 17th January 2009, 21:21   #78
NIP
Senior - BHPian

mymy ! what a thought ! i dont know about the technicals, but seems possible. only thing is to source/salvage a swift engine. i think the 4x4 gurus can contribute here.
Old 17th January 2009, 21:53   #79
BHPian

A DIESEL GYPSY! WOW !!
gr8 idea dude .. i think it shud work out.. but dont' you think, it might need a bit of more bhp for a 4X4.
Old 18th January 2009, 11:02   #80
Senior - BHPian

D1ISTHE1 - This Nissan has pretty good torque in the low from what I understand. So, for OTR applications you don't feel the absence of horses.
Old 19th January 2009, 13:50   #81
BHPian

@ docfreak - it was nice chatting with you today. Looking forward to a thred on your CJ3A. Let me know if you need to speak to my mechanic when you get the ex-military gypsy.

@D1ISTHE1 - The nissan CD17 engine has marginarrly more torque than the Gypsy king MPFi and I think this comes at a much lower rpm as well to it is brilliant in off road conditions. though on road the the MPfi is much faster. Mine was a crb king but it did 120 kmph.

@ shuv - right on buddy! now go see UBS and get yourself a jeep!

Last edited by GoSlow : 19th January 2009 at 13:52.
Old 19th January 2009, 17:42   #82
BHPian

Comparision between CNG and Diesel option on Gypsy King Carb model

I have been asked a few times about the Diesel and CNG options in a gypsy so I am posting my personal experience on the 1.3L carb petrol with CNG and 1.7L diesel DI engine.

Running cost -
CNG – the fuel costs Rs.19 per kg and the economy would be around 14kmpkg with AC running which equates to Rs 1.36 per km
Diesel – the fuel costs Rs. 35 per litre and the economy would be around 15kmpl with AC running which equates to Rs.2.3 per km.

Maintenance-
CNG – You will need to switch over and run the car on petrol everyday for about 15 mins. Even after this I had to get the carb cleaned every alternate month due to CNG residue. It works better in MPFi engines. Apart from this the engine temp may run on the higher side in the summers.
Diesel – I have only run the engine for 3500kms. No problems so far. There were some minor oil leaks which were sorted out. There may be some engine cooling issues in summers. I had this resolved but putting a HUGE fan which sounds like a truck at high speed. In winters I use a smaller one. Still looking for alternative solution. My mechanic maintains it and he is very well versed with this engine

Performance:
CNG- Quite poor on carb engine. If you run an AC as well, you may feel like a snail at times. It works better on MPFi engines with little loss of power.
Diesel – Almost as good as the petrol. Far better than the CNG. You can go for a Toyota engine as well which will be more powerful but will be twice as expensive as the Nissan and the fuel economy will be lower as well. Also, I am not sure if you will be able to retain the 4x4 with a Toyota transplant.

The CNG kit will cost you around 40K from an approved fitter. They will get it endorsed on your RC as well and you will get a one year guarantee. This will be all legit! Also, if you retain the petrol engine then it is easier to get parts/ repair if you are out on a long drive to Leh or some distant place

The Nissal Diesel CD17 engine was for 45K all incl. The old engine will sell for 5K to 8K depending on the condition. Please note that these Diesel engines have run over are lakh kms and would need to be tested before purchase. Also, this CANNOT be endorsed on your RC. You may need to re-register in Haryana or Punjab for the Diesel to be legit. If you get caught and you are a cabbie – say good bye to your vehicle. If it is a private vehicle you may be let off, although in the last few months no has even cared as no one prefers to fit diesel any more since CNG is cheaper. You may not get parts at distant places from NCR region if you break down

Review:
The performance with diesel off road is brilliant and it has turned in to a very reliable and cheap off roader. gypsy is a vehicle you can jump in and drive anywhere and is very uable on a daily basis. The steering is not hard even with 215 radials, the clutch is quite soft, and brake works very well. I have been to 2 OTRs since the fittment and the it does what it was built to do. I have had the sump (chamber) modified in lines with the orignal one on the Gypsy King so now the front differential has enough space to move without hitting anything.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by GoSlow : 19th January 2009 at 17:45.
Old 19th January 2009, 19:43   #83
Senior - BHPian

good review Goslow: Hope there are more gypsys with the Nissan CD17 engine..

Maybe i should hunt for an engine first and then get another gypsy!

Cheers
Old 19th January 2009, 20:26   #84
Senior - BHPian

Good writeup Ankit
Very precise and to the point.
Coming to the 25th OTR??
Old 20th January 2009, 10:22   #85
BHPian

@ Headers - you should try it buddy, it is very good. Drop me a line if you come to Delhi and you can have a go in it. BTW i am considering the gas shocks option seriously.. thanks for the advise.

@ Harjeev - thanks buddy. Plan to come but not sure if it is still on.
Old 20th January 2009, 10:36   #86
Senior - BHPian

@ GoSlow - Nice to see you are enjoying the old warhorse. Have some good memories of this Gyppo. How about some recent snaps? And, what about an ICE upgrade?
Old 20th January 2009, 12:00   #87
Senior - BHPian

That was a nice and realistic comparison Ankit. Indeed your gypsy is an amazing example of diesel conversion. Would love to try it out next time.
-regards,
Old 20th January 2009, 13:25   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
@ Headers - you should try it buddy, it is very good. Drop me a line if you come to Delhi and you can have a go in it. BTW i am considering the gas shocks option seriously.. thanks for the advise.
Would love to buddy, thanks for the offer!
Old 20th January 2009, 20:37   #89
BHPian

it was great talking to as well ankit , and maybe that detailed talk we had prompted you for the the nice comparison u have put up , so i can take the credit .....lol
Old 28th January 2009, 12:36   #90
BHPian

Plans for 2nd stage mods

Hi all

I am planning the following mods on my gypsy:

1. Chop off the rear overhang

2. Remove the anti-roll bar for better articulation off road

Any advise would be very helpful. Also, any other mods you would suggest that would help off-road while not making it undrvable on road.

I do not have any technical knoledge so any advise would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. - if you pls suggest mods with the cost that would be very helpful.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks