Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2009, 16:25   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
As I could see the going rates for used XD3P has come down and wanted to use the these components that are in good condition in my Jeep's XD3P instead of selling it for steal price. What you say guys ?
Good decision i would say, especially if you intend to keep the with you for a long time. Even my mech suggested same to me. How much does it cost you? And i think you may need to punch the engine number again on the new Block.

PS: Waiting for the answer for my Alternator query.

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 16th December 2009, 21:17   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Good decision i would say, especially if you intend to keep the with you for a long time. Even my mech suggested same to me. How much does it cost you? And i think you may need to punch the engine number again on the new Block.

PS: Waiting for the answer for my Alternator query.

Thanks
--Sree--
I will post the actual cost after getting the bill from the dealer, allow me to take another week time.

Nope, I'm not going to punch the number. Instead I'm going the legal way approaching a RTO to endorse my new engine number on my RC book.

Opps, I forgot to tell you that the MICO guys replied saying the maximum what they can supply is 90amps. The price is been already posted for 90amps i guess.
Old 17th February 2010, 19:31   #183
Senior - BHPian

Good Bad and Good news!

Friends here are good and bad news as an update from my Classic Exercise

Good News

After almost waiting for llllloooooooonngg time, my explorer is getting close to original side view mirror kit. Yes, I have got a Kaiser CJ5 Jeep's side view mirror kit which fits perfect with the Classic. Here is my kit and DIY of installation pictures.
Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-image141.jpg

Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-image142.jpg

Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-image144.jpg

Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-image145.jpg

Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-image146.jpg
Though the left hand side mirror arm got some minor issue as the hole to fix the bolt is 90 degree wrong angle. Next week when I visit the garage I will get it drilled in the right angle solve the problem. As of now I got a set of perfect side view mirror assembly.

Sad News

I didn't get the new XD3P engine or the half engine as the supplier said the full engine is exhausted and half engine comes without new number and I need to punch my old number on to it. hmmm not ready to go for punching, so what did I do?

Good News

Here is my final decision on the Mahindra Classic's heart: As my Toyota FJ40 is getting more powerful engine I have decided to use the original Peugeot XDP 4.99 2112CC 62BHP back in the Classic. So if I need more power it is Toyota and if I need short wheel base requirement my all original Mahindra Classic.

All new fresh Classic news are ahead, forth coming weeks going to be full of excitement on my explorer story... keep guessing ...
Old 17th February 2010, 22:47   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...I have got a Kaiser CJ5 Jeep's side view mirror kit
How much and from which country? US?

Quote:
All new fresh Classic news are ahead, forth coming weeks going to be full of excitement on my explorer story... keep guessing ...
What happened to OD fitting? Is it awaiting the engine change work? I cant wait to hear the OD effect... Ps, when are we going to eat guntur chicken in andhra ;-) I am awaiting...
Old 18th February 2010, 09:25   #185
Senior - BHPian

Wow....so good to see you have got your preferred mirros. Am still in search for the left side...! I guess these are from rugged ridge? So how much including the shipping?
Old 21st February 2010, 13:00   #186
Senior - BHPian

Yes. This one was from US. I didn't pay for it as it was gifted to me by a friend of mine. He he he no shipping charges too as he brought it personally from US to Chennai.
Old 21st February 2010, 18:25   #187
BHPian

Hi Siva,

Waiting to see your explorer to hit the road or should I say offroad after few months of hibernation.

Quote:

Well, any price for guessing ??

Good Luck with the XDP4.9 Engine rebuild.
Old 11th March 2010, 21:22   #188
Senior - BHPian

I was running busy and couldn't record the engine rebuild process in full mode, however a few pics to show that the work in progress state.

Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-image056.jpg

Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-image058.jpg
Old 11th March 2010, 21:50   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

How is the overdrive performing?
Old 11th March 2010, 21:57   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
How is the overdrive performing?
will post answer to this query on wednesday next week for sure. I'm sorry to put you on hold Doc. As i'm planning to post the installation blog this weekend, just wanted to hold the performance write-up till wednesday.
Old 11th March 2010, 22:04   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
will post answer to this query on wednesday next week for sure. I'm sorry to put you on hold Doc. As i'm planning to post the installation blog this weekend, just wanted to hold the performance write-up till wednesday.
no problem. i'm considering getting the overdrive.

Also, post detailed installation pics of the overdrive as it happens.
Old 11th March 2010, 22:10   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
no problem. i'm considering getting the overdrive.

Also, post detailed installation pics of the overdrive as it happens.
Thats exactly what i'm going to post on this weekend.
Old 12th March 2010, 11:50   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
no problem. i'm considering getting the overdrive
If the lac isnt a problem, then the 2 year waiting will tire you out.
Old 13th March 2010, 03:57   #194
BHPian

lots of learnings

trammway:
Nice thread, good to see and hear your experience with your Classic. You are sure an asset with all the information and learning you have gained.
Now I see that I am sitting and waiting for a good Jeep to fall into my lap,. unlike you who took the risk of going for it. Great going trammway.
Anyways, I do have a Jeep build in my head,. will start working on it upon my return home. I will be talking to experts like you for getting my Jeep to reality.
Old 14th March 2010, 13:25   #195
Senior - BHPian

Most awaited OD installation series

Folks, finally I'm starting the OD installation series of information. I hope all of you aware of the Overdrive specs and how it reached to my hands details from the posts in past.

The Overdrive installation in Mahindra Classic is kind of straight forward however I did face some issues and road blocks. Nothing that we need to worry about, but bit of time that I lost on those road block, as it is kind of unique experience in installation the OD.

Quite a few knew that the OD unit differs from Jeep to Jeep base on the Teeth and Spline count of drive shaft's drive gear in the transfer case's PTO port.

For the KMT-90 single lever & Dana/Spicer T18 got the counts as 29/15 but it is not same compare to the similar combination of CJ340/MM540 with two lever gear levers (still need to confirm) in the aspects of drive gear design. (please wait till some times for me to explain why)

The & Foremost thing in the installation process is to drain the transfercase lubricant oil and put the Jeep into Reverse Gear.

Unpack the OD pack and carefully take the planetary gear out and clean it with a soft cloth.
Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-img_6215.jpg

Now the actual under body tasks starts, remove all the 5 bolts that holds the PTO cover plate.
Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-img_6236.jpg
Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-img_6244.jpg

After removal of the PTO port cover plate and using socket wrench remove the nut that holds the stock drive gear.
Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-img_6246.jpg
Name:  IMG_6248.JPG
Views: 2529
Size:  66.7 KB
Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-img_6251.jpg

After removal of the main drive gear, you can see the drive shaft in exposed view, now it is time to clean
Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-img_6256.jpg

Let's have a look at how the stock Main drive gear and Planetary gear assembly of Overdrive looks. Please see the tooth and spline count matches, however you will have to find my first road block from the pictures below. I will leave it to you. (this is the point for discussion before my next post)
Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-img_6261.jpg
Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-img_6267.jpg

Here is a picture that explains the differences between Willys CJ3B main drive gear and Mahindra Classic main drive gear in the PTO port.
Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-img_6270.jpg

Now enjoy a little video of the installation first phase.

to be continued...

Last edited by trammway : 14th March 2010 at 13:26.
trammway is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks