Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2009, 19:22   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
4) Paint Touch Up - Next Week.

your steed definitely needs this pronto ! In fact , not just a touch-up, it would look awesome if it underwent a full paint job. Hope that is also in the pipeline.
Old 21st July 2009, 19:44   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Off-Road you can feel the additional traction, but coupled with the front LSD, the steering is very hard.

Arka
Hi Arka,

Thanks for the update. Power steering, next?
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:44   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

The MM540XD has been upgraded in following departments.

2) 4 Core Radiator - Tomorrow (the OEM Radiator has become weak, plus I wanted additional cooling, keeping the chennai weather in mind)

3) Seat Belts - Next Week

4) Paint Touch Up - Next Week.

After the re-tread and brand new tubes the Lockers are hardly noticed on road.

Off-Road you can feel the additional traction, but coupled with the front LSD, the steering is very hard.

Regards,

Arka
Well arka,
Congratulations on your successful installation of rear lockers. I guess your's is the only jeep in india to feature this.

4 core radiator is a good idea i have done it recently. My engine is running about 10 degrees cooler in city traffic @70. Hopefully it will stay at about 80-90 degrees in palar sand. Best is to go for 550 army radiator new /reconditioned even though it requires some grill modification. Next week i plan to join you for recee we can test my radiator then

wearing a seat belt in a jeep looks cool to me as many dont expect to have them I just got them fitted. Well about paint touch up just change the door colour of yours to body colour along with some touch ups on body where there are welding marks. Will do it for now. Anyhow you intend to paint it completely up next year.

Arka i suggest you to remove LSD from you front diff as you already have rear locker. The marginal advantage that you get with it off road isnt worth the trouble. Worst case yours is 3 wheel drive, just one wheel less with your LSD up front in a complete slippery condition. When 3 wheels are deep in mud fourth wheel traction can do little to pull rest 3 wheels out. Your recent stuck in palar is a good example.

The advantage -
1. easier steering- You will not end up breaking it
2. tighter turning radius- the main moto of changing to current set up

You can offset the disadvatage of no LSD up front by better set of tyres which you are already planning to up grade to.

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 22nd July 2009 at 11:48.
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:52   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Congratulations on your successful installation of rear lockers. I guess your's is the only jeep in india to feature this.
I think Suresh's JEEP also features this?
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:01   #95
Senior - BHPian

Power-Steering

Quote:

Arka i suggest you to remove LSD from you front diff as you already have rear locker. The marginal advantage that you get with it off road isnt worth the trouble. Worst case yours is 3 wheel drive, just one wheel less with your LSD up front in a complete slippery condition. When 3 wheels are deep in mud fourth wheel traction can do little to pull rest 3 wheels out. Your recent stuck in palar is a good example.

The advantage -
1. easier steering- You will not end up breaking it
2. tighter turning radius- the main moto of changing to current set up

You can offset the disadvatage of no LSD up front by better set of tyres which you are already planning to up grade to.
Hi Vinod,

You are making fun of my front LSD, wait till I convert to Power Steering and Front Locker.

I have OKBJ Front unit, why not a Power-Steering upgrade.

Even in 2WD road use the steering becomes demanding with the Lockers, even the turning radius has reduced from under an I10 to Lesser than Ford Fiesta .

Will go in for a set of Mud-Terrains as OTR Set

Regards,

Arka

PS - Suresh has a Auburn Gear LSD.
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:10   #96
Senior - BHPian

Now this is fun!!:-)))

Quote:
Hi Vinod,

You are making fun of my front LSD, wait till I convert to Power Steering and Front Locker.

I have OKBJ Front unit, why not a Power-Steering upgrade.
Powersteering? Wasnt that for non macho people? Anyway power steering makes sence as you already have required mechanicals for that setup. Will definately make life easier.

Well, so when is your A/C upgrade happening? Doesnt rear locker and front locker combine generate enough heat inside the cabin? Arka is finally getting civilised ...hahaha:-)))))

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 22nd July 2009 at 12:12.
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:22   #97
Senior - BHPian

Machismo & Heat

Quote:
Powersteering? Wasnt that for non macho people? Anyway power steering makes sence as you already have required mechanicals for that setup. Will definately make life easier.

Well, so when is your A/C upgrade happening? Doesnt rear locker and front locker combine generate enough heat inside the cabin? Arka is finally getting civilised ...hahaha:-)))))
Hi Vinod,

I decided to leave the mantle of machismo, no contenders here.

The Lockers generate less heat compared to the LSD.

I'm saving the A/C mods for a Bolero/Armada Grand Project.

Regards,

Arka
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:37   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I'm saving the A/C mods for a Bolero/Armada Grand Project.

Regards,

Arka
Woww this is news to me. I thought you were begining to work on CJ500 NGCS project. I can imagine what you intend to build on NGCS Armada Grand platform alreadyGood luck. Hope to see it by next palar.
Old 22nd July 2009, 14:06   #99
BHPian

@Arka

You could install hub locks in the front to reduce wear on the LSD. They will make a small difference to the steering too.
Old 22nd July 2009, 14:39   #100
Senior - BHPian

Free-Wheling Hubs & LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
@Arka

You could install hub locks in the front to reduce wear on the LSD. They will make a small difference to the steering too.
Hi Abhimanyu,

I learned that the hard way in March 2008, destroyed a front short axle, and then fitted a FW Hub.

In November 2008, the FW Hub was fitted to the OKBJ Axle.

Regards,

Arka
Old 22nd July 2009, 16:24   #101
BHPian

OT: Hey arka! what happen to you 1 ton project?? Any updates??
Old 22nd July 2009, 23:15   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Abhimanyu,

I learned that the hard way in March 2008, destroyed a front short axle, and then fitted a FW Hub.

In November 2008, the FW Hub was fitted to the OKBJ Axle.

Regards,

Arka
Ok, but dont go for a locker on the front axle even with FW hubs. When turning on a hard surface, the locker drives only the inside wheel. This will cause a lot of steering problems with massive torque steer and pulsation due to the non CV joins in the axle. It will also make things very interesting on black ice. Se if you can get 30 spline shafts imported...
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:15   #103
Senior - BHPian

Front Axle

Quote:
Ok, but dont go for a locker on the front axle even with FW hubs. When turning on a hard surface, the locker drives only the inside wheel. This will cause a lot of steering problems with massive torque steer and pulsation due to the non CV joins in the axle. It will also make things very interesting on black ice. Se if you can get 30 spline shafts imported...
Hi Abhimanyu,

In 2WD mode with FW Hubs the lockers will not create any problem.

But in 4WD it is as you mentioned.

The Auto-Lockers are Dog-Clutch LSDs, or very aggressive LSD for straight line driving or very Slow LSD for turning situations

Any particular reason for 30Splines? The Selectable Lockers are expensive and not worth the headache, Installation and then custom axles, cost as much as MM540.

Regards,

Arka
Old 23rd July 2009, 17:51   #104
BHPian

The Lockers, strictly speaking are not differentials, as they do not distribute power between the two wheels. The locker 'unlocks' one (outer) wheel during a turn and lets it spin faster (effectively freewheeling) than the crown gear. It makes the vehicle one wheel drive during a turn, hence the understeer (inside rear wheel pushing against the turn). On a slick surface, like ice, when the inner wheel overcomes grip, there could be very violent (spectacular for some) transition from understeer to oversteer.

A locker on the front axle may make turning very difficult offroad.
Old 24th July 2009, 14:58   #105
Senior - BHPian

Nice Explanation

Quote:
The Lockers, strictly speaking are not differentials, as they do not distribute power between the two wheels. The locker 'unlocks' one (outer) wheel during a turn and lets it spin faster (effectively freewheeling) than the crown gear. It makes the vehicle one wheel drive during a turn, hence the understeer (inside rear wheel pushing against the turn). On a slick surface, like ice, when the inner wheel overcomes grip, there could be very violent (spectacular for some) transition from understeer to oversteer.

A locker on the front axle may make turning very difficult offroad.
Hi Abhimanyu,

Nice explanation, will be careful in icy conditions.

When the JEEP had two LSDs, the steering is not very hard off-road, but with a rear locker and front LSD, its very hard.

Regards,

Arka

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks