Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2010, 13:30   #151
Senior - BHPian

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Arka, i think there is a slight correction to this. The oil delivered to the oil cooler after getting cooled comes on to the other side of the element. The filtered oil then goes through the centre of the oil filter and is connected to the main oil gallery. Bypass valves are usually incorporated into this circuit.
Hi Spike,

Thanks for the correction. Can you post a diagram/cut out view if possible.

Regards,

Arka
Old 20th April 2010, 14:46   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Spike,

Thanks for the correction. Can you post a diagram/cut out view if possible.

Regards,

Arka

Posting as required, this is a line diagram only.

Spike
Attached Thumbnails
My MM540XD upgrade-1.jpg  

SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2010, 11:35   #153
Senior - BHPian

Under Chassis Pics

Hi Guys,

Some pics under the chassis.

Regards,

Arka

PS - The JEEP is now running 7.50x16 Apollo Bullet
Attached Thumbnails
My MM540XD upgrade-dsc09755.jpg  

My MM540XD upgrade-dsc09756.jpg  

My MM540XD upgrade-dsc09757.jpg  

My MM540XD upgrade-dsc09758.jpg  

My MM540XD upgrade-dsc09759.jpg  

My MM540XD upgrade-dsc09760.jpg  

My MM540XD upgrade-dsc09763.jpg  

My MM540XD upgrade-dsc09765.jpg  

My MM540XD upgrade-dsc09766.jpg  

My MM540XD upgrade-dsc09767.jpg  

My MM540XD upgrade-dsc09768.jpg  

My MM540XD upgrade-dsc09769.jpg  

My MM540XD upgrade-dsc09770.jpg  

My MM540XD upgrade-dsc09771.jpg  

My MM540XD upgrade-dsc09772.jpg  

Old 29th April 2010, 13:10   #154
Team-BHP Support

Arka those skid plates are awesome, what thickness is that?
Old 29th April 2010, 14:30   #155
Senior - BHPian

Skid-Plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Arka those skid plates are awesome, what thickness is that?
Hi Jaggu,

I had fabricated this skid-plate from 8MM MS Sheet in December 2005, its a copy of the original CJ3B Skid-plate minus the extra holes for cleaning the cross-member.

Regards,

Arka
Old 29th April 2010, 16:56   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Arka - why you do not have a power plant "spike arrestor" (not the team BHP wallah but actual) in compression? / why you do not have dust covers on the axle yokes? / why is the body cut to accommodate the transfer case levers? / why there is a non-standard boot on the clutch fork? / what is the washer like thing above the transfer case cross support bolt? The skid plate is nicely made. I like it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 29th April 2010, 17:18   #157
Senior - BHPian

Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Arka - why you do not have a power plant "spike arrestor" (not the team BHP wallah but actual) in compression? / why you do not have dust covers on the axle yokes? / why is the body cut to accommodate the transfer case levers? / why there is a non-standard boot on the clutch fork? / what is the washer like thing above the transfer case cross support bolt? The skid plate is nicely made. I like it.
Hello Sir,

My MM540XD was a 2WD when I bought it in 2005 December.

1) I have a Spike-Arrestor fitted (Bell-Housing to Cross-Member), don't know what you mean by power-plant spike-arrestor.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...e-dsc09767.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...e-dsc09766.jpg

2) Dust Cover for Axle Yokes. I have never seen one in my life, or I am not able to get what you are saying.

The Differential Pinion Yokes have the recessed (Internal/Bolero) dust covers

3) AFAIK the Body has not been cut to accommodate the T-Case Levers.
My Gear Box shield is from the original Vehicle (1996) and the body is from a 1987 MM540DP (excluding Radiator Grille)

4) I didnot find a OEM boot for the KMT90 clutch fork so I have used a 4wd Lever (2 Stick Boot cut in half), Tried the NGT520 Boot but that did not fit the profile of the slot (clutch fork)

5) The Washer is to prevent the T-Case cross support Bolt head from gouging the rubber mount.
Just Below the T-Case I have used a MM540 style Body bed Metal Cap.

Please point out any irregularities, and I will correct immediately.

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ex670c : 29th April 2010 at 17:26. Reason: Addl. info
Old 29th April 2010, 17:51   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Arka - spike of 11 mm is controlled in tension by the cable and in compression by a co-axially fitted pipe / body cut can be seen in photograph no 5 / non-standard boot can pinch in the bell housing and prevent clutch movement and in any case it is not serving any purpose, you may throw it out / cross support dimension is controlled. Addition of any member will change the powerplant inclination, not recommended. By the way, where is the handbrake in your vehicle?

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 29th April 2010, 18:28   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Arka - spike of 11 mm is controlled in tension by the cable and in compression by a co-axially fitted pipe / body cut can be seen in photograph no 5 / non-standard boot can pinch in the bell housing and prevent clutch movement and in any case it is not serving any purpose, you may throw it out / cross support dimension is controlled. Addition of any member will change the powerplant inclination, not recommended. By the way, where is the handbrake in your vehicle?
Hello Sir,

Thanks for your Reply and Tech Specs.

1) I tried fitting a Pipe over the cable, but that was fouling with the Silencer pipe hence I did not use the Pipe.

I will try with a narrower Pipe.

2) You are correct the body looks like it has been cut to allow movement of the 4WD levers.

3) The Rubber Boot has been fitted in a manner not to foul with the clutch assembly, It was intended as a measure for making the Bell-Housing water tight, but this still improves the Dust-Proofing, by reducing the size of the aperture/slot.

4) You are right about Power plant inclination, but the Top Plate will either ways compress the rubber mounting.

5) I removed the Cable Actuated Drum brake on the Rear Propeller Shaft, during the first 4WD conversion in December 2005.

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ex670c : 29th April 2010 at 18:36.
Old 29th April 2010, 18:54   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
why you do not have dust covers on the axle yokes?
Attaching a pic for clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
2) Dust Cover for Axle Yokes. I have never seen one in my life, or I am not able to get what you are saying.

Please point out any irregularities, and I will correct immediately.
Arka, I believe you have seen this dust cap, this comes in FF as well as SF axles, may be you missed them out in your BOM (pun intended).

Spike
Attached Thumbnails
My MM540XD upgrade-dust-cover.jpg  

Old 29th April 2010, 22:15   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Arka - bell housing area in MM540 is not water tight by design. If you have to make it water tight, you need a sheet metal locator plate cum seal, which is not there in this design (I have seen a NISSAN design. It's not easy). This bell housing has an inspection cover at its top, so there is no question of it being watertight. You are using OEY axle on non-NGCS. KPI / Caster of OEY is different by design and interchangeability is not recommended. Your steering effort would have changed drastically, especially since the orientation angle of the spring shackle plates have also changed. By the way, how's the handling, especially lane change manoeuvres? Is there a lag? I trust you have taken care of the system reliability issues. Better still, get yourself at least an NGCS. And yes, I missed the companion flange cover comment in my post.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 30th April 2010, 00:32   #162
Team-BHP Support

Wow so much of useful stuff, i need to get under my jeep and post some shots. Thanks guys, this is really useful stuff, stuff we generally overlook or are unaware (in my case).
Old 30th April 2010, 07:30   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Arka - spike of 11 mm is controlled in tension by the cable and in compression by a co-axially fitted pipe / body cut can be seen in photograph no 5 / non-standard boot can pinch in the bell housing and prevent clutch movement and in any case it is not serving any purpose, you may throw it out / cross support dimension is controlled. Addition of any member will change the powerplant inclination, not recommended.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Behram Sir, What is a Spike Arrestor [in the jeep and whats its function]?

Quote:
Better still, get yourself at least an NGCS.
Where do we find one?
Old 30th April 2010, 08:50   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Vikram - "Spike Arrestor" explanation - the powerplant is mounted on resilient mounts and therefore it is allowed a little bit of forward and backward movement during operation. This test by which this movement is determined in the prototype vehicle is called "spike test". This is a very rigorous test and is conducted on the test track. I am not mentioning the test procedure because that is not the intention of this communication. In case of the MM540, spike in braking is controlled by providing a cable taking datum from the transmission mounting cross member and holding the bell housing. During acceleration, a co-axially mounted pipe controls the movement. Many technicians do not know the importance of the spike arrestor and remove it for reason best known to them, which is not good. In Arka's car, the cable is fitted but the pipe is missing. You can see the cable in photograph nos 8, 9 and 10 above.

Advances in powerplant mounting technology changes the configuration of a spike arrestor in modern vehicles. You may not see it as a cable / pipe but it is still there in the form of a small lug sticking out of the insulator somewhere. It will perform its operation silently for the life of the car, that's why you may not even know that it exists.

There are many things like this in the whole car.

Dear Jaggu - your comment "wow, so much useful stuff" is correct. I am fortunate that I work on cars to earn my living. A Ferrari test engineer told Jeremy Clarkson in Top Gear that "I have the best job in the world". In my case also, it is true. I have the best job in the world.

Dear Arka - I await your comments on my post no 161 of this thread.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 30th April 2010 at 08:55.
Old 30th April 2010, 12:09   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Arka - bell housing area in MM540 is not water tight by design. If you have to make it water tight, you need a sheet metal locator plate cum seal, which is not there in this design (I have seen a NISSAN design. It's not easy). This bell housing has an inspection cover at its top, so there is no question of it being watertight. You are using OEY axle on non-NGCS. KPI / Caster of OEY is different by design and interchangeability is not recommended. Your steering effort would have changed drastically, especially since the orientation angle of the spring shackle plates have also changed. By the way, how's the handling, especially lane change manoeuvres? Is there a lag? I trust you have taken care of the system reliability issues. Better still, get yourself at least an NGCS. And yes, I missed the companion flange cover comment in my post.
Hello Sir,

I am using an OKBJ 57" Front Axle, with MRCBT on my MM540XD.

I did this upgrade, because of the recurring King Pin problems with the 51" Closed Knuckle King Pin type Axles and the older steering setup.

My JEEP is my daily drive and I have not faced any steering or Axle Problems, even with an LSD on the Front Axle.

To be very frank, the Steering effort has drastically reduced compared to the 51/51 older Axles and Steering Setup (Armada MRCBT with Idler Arm and UJ) with 140 PCD LP1109.

The vehicle handling, especially lane change manoeuvre, is much better than the regular MM540, the addition of the Armada Type Extended Body bed has made it even better.

I use a Return To Center Steering Damper (Coil-Over Shock Absorber), which can be biased for quicker re-centering, So I have not yet faced that issue.

But definitely the NGCS MM550XD will have better vehicle dynamics (On-Road & Off-Road)

wrt to to Companion Flange/ Differential Pinion Yoke I'm using a recessed Dust Cover, after the Pinion Oil Seal.

Regards,

Arka

Most Viewed