Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2008, 08:26   #46
Senior - BHPian

What is the weight difference between the Scorpio 2.6 and the 2.2 crde? 90 kg?

What about the difference between the XDP and the Scorpio 2.6?
Old 6th December 2008, 09:50   #47
BHPian

Guys do u think this thread would have generated so many posts if it was not posted by Behram Sir.I really don't think so.
Old 6th December 2008, 11:01   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
What is the weight difference between the Scorpio 2.6 and the 2.2 crde? 90 kg?

What about the difference between the XDP and the Scorpio 2.6?
, also would you mind providing the BHP and torque of 2.6 CRDi and 2.2 CRDi both .
Old 6th December 2008, 11:25   #49
BHPian

• A more precise steering, with no play. Power steering a big plus.
  • Engine which will allow you to cruise at speeds upto 100, without all hell breaking loose.
  • Better NVH.
  • A/C, Heater (HVAC).
  • Front facing rear seats.
  • Shift on the fly 4x4 with 2 speed transfer case.
  • Budget max 5 lacs ex-showroom.
Now, all of the above points are based on my recent tryst with "THE JEEP",
mostly MM550's. I was seriously consider one as a second car not only for weekend OTR's but one which could also serve as a livable city car.

The current generation M&M jeep excels in the first requirement but miserably fails in the second department.

Last edited by Torque-ative : 6th December 2008 at 11:42.
Old 6th December 2008, 13:22   #50
Senior - BHPian

^^ its supposed to be like that. For the second requirement, we have gypsys and scorpio mhawks !
Old 6th December 2008, 13:54   #51
Senior - BHPian

Is the 8 seat capacity rule by transport ministry still there, vehicle with 8 seats had some discounts in taxes [earlier] don't know about that now, M&M had taken advantage of this in the commander [it was cheaper than the mm540] after the commander was pulled out of production, M&M registered the 550 with 8 seat capacity and got the price down. Any one have any idea about this still offered by government[ people mover category].
Old 7th December 2008, 19:14   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
  • A more precise steering, with no play. Power steering a big plus.
  • Engine which will allow you to cruise at speeds upto 100, without all hell breaking loose.
  • Better NVH.
  • A/C, Heater (HVAC).
  • Front facing rear seats.
  • Shift on the fly 4x4 with 2 speed transfer case.
  • Budget max 5 lacs ex-showroom.
I've driven the MM540 and Gypsy MG410 (narrow) quite extensively off road in the past. Both had manual transfer cases.
Now, I have an electronic Borg-Warner shift-on-the-fly system in the Scorp, but somehow, I miss the clank & grunt of a manual system. Somehow, the manual just seems a lot more reliable and robust.
With the electronic system, I get a sneaking feeling that if some water enters the shifter solenoid or a fuse blows out on a trail... you are pretty much stranded. Or even if the automatic front hubs fail to engage properly for that matter.

Cheers,
Old 7th December 2008, 23:05   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshun View Post
With the electronic system, I get a sneaking feeling that if some water enters the shifter solenoid or a fuse blows out on a trail... you are pretty much stranded. Or even if the automatic front hubs fail to engage properly for that matter.
You are right, in Mahindra Great Escape I saw many electronic 4x4 systems fail. The manual one is the most reliable.
Old 8th December 2008, 10:50   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - good feedback, thanks. Please continue and keep it coming, especially the cost aspect.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 8th December 2008, 12:37   #55
Senior - BHPian

bhabar ji

If price is the issue then i see it this way-

Offer what you offer to army to civillians with A/C & Powersteering keeping everything else intact for about 6 lakhs on road. This will be a killer pricing!

Remember Invader didnt pick up due to illogical pricing without goddies like the basic power steering even if some one wanted it for personal use. The price difference between a base bolero DI 4wd and invader DI is minimal, hence people shift to 5 door setup for convenience purpose.

Reduce the price of Invader DI with P/S 4wd so and make it look like Army Striker and it will sell, if you want to survive invader platform. Else the CJ look rules anyway.

If you still want to decide on price just do the average of all the amounts stated in this post. Rust proof body,power yet low NVH engine, 5 speed manual gear box with manual 4wd selector A/c and power steering all seem to be common requirement. Anything extra will be courtesy M&M!

Hope to see a VFM MM550 in making!!!

regards vinod
Old 8th December 2008, 12:56   #56
BHPian

....hate to say it, but if there's something lurking around the corner by Mahindra, then its time to start looking for people to buy our MM540's.... because once this vehicle comes out, no one will want to buy a done-up MM540 if they can spend a little bit more and get all the goodies straight from the factory... so for those who already own 540's ,this news is both good and bad. In defence, i'll say that the joys of restoring a Jeep is unparalleled!
Also, if this materializes, we can easily swap parts from this vehicle into our 540's(hopefully) and still have a cheaper, almost as capable off-roader.
My 2 cents, just building up on the speculation.
Old 8th December 2008, 13:21   #57
BHPian

Cost !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - good feedback, thanks. Please continue and keep it coming, especially the cost aspect.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir, most posts have been answered keeping in mind the needs of a recreational vehicle. If the MM540 is more live-able, as a daily driver car as well my budget could go as high as 6.5 lacs from the previously stated 5 lac Ex-showroom.

I define live-able as a quality which does not necessarily pit it against sedans in terms of refiement (NVH) or ergonomics,...but just polishing the rough edges of the current generation MM550 and making the machine more precise to pilot around town,..not to mention safer (better brakes).

The army has the wadi and the desserts to maneuver around,..but given the traffic conditions a civil version would need to be very precise to ensure we do not demolish lesser cars in traffic.

Thanks,..hope you indeed make this come true for all of us.
Old 8th December 2008, 14:42   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
1. A built in GPS - basic nothing complicated
I can understand everything that you asked for in your long list except this.
Old 8th December 2008, 14:46   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I can understand everything that you asked for in your long list except this.
A basic GPS helps one in recovering their trail during offroad recce.
Old 8th December 2008, 14:57   #60
rippergeo

Ok- I take it all back.
Just give us the stock MM540, I'll buy it, lousy brakes,rusting body and underpowered engine. All of it. I dont care about steering play or steering effort, I just want a reliable diesel offroader that wont cost me the heaven and earth. It will also be quite handy in today's city traffic(just trying very hard to justify a heart choice to the head)

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks