Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2008, 14:58   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
A basic GPS helps one in recovering their trail during offroad recce.
If you are a real off road drive lover and want to make your own path, GPS is a must.

Last edited by DesertKing : 8th December 2008 at 14:59.
Old 8th December 2008, 15:38   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
If you are a real off road drive lover and want to make your own path, GPS is a must.
I'd say for true off roading one should not have a GPS. If you want to make your own path then why would one need a GPS? Its a gizmo for city dwellers.

In pure off roading all one needs is a 4x4 and the world is at your disposal.

Randeep
Old 8th December 2008, 16:03   #63
Senior - BHPian

In a real desert, away from the road, a GPS can be a life saver, whether you are in a car or on foot. It's not just a fancy gizmo. America won the Iraq war because of Garmin.
Old 8th December 2008, 16:17   #64
BHPian

Thanks Sudipto,

Now i surely need to get myself a GPS. Never know when I drive into the Sahara desert by mistake. Will surly help me finding my way back home.

And I did not say the GPS is a useless gizmo, i said if one wants to make his own path its better to do it without a GPS.

Cheers !!!
Old 8th December 2008, 16:36   #65
Senior - BHPian

Lol. Cheers Randeep. No sweat man. I agree unaided navigation is much more macho. But you know a lot of people have died getting lost in the desert and it has often been found later that they went round and round the same place. Those accidents can certainly be avoided with a GPS.
This is my view about GPS. Now, should it come as a standard gadget in a 4x4 vehicle? I am not sure. But if I was going to a desert I would surely carry it.
Old 8th December 2008, 16:56   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Hope to see a VFM MM550 in making!!!
LOL vinod, Dhabar was just teasing us and you took it seriously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
the stock MM540, I'll buy it, I just want a reliable diesel offroader
Thats the MM540 for you second hand at 2 lakhs! The MM540 is pretty reliable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
I'd say for true off roading one should not have a GPS. If you want to make your own path then why would one need a GPS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
In a real desert, away from the road, a GPS can be a life saver, whether you are in a car or on foot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
And I did not say the GPS is a useless gizmo,
Quote:
Now, should it come as a standard gadget in a 4x4 vehicle? I am not sure.
Yes it should because, whats the point of a 4x4 if you dont know how to get back and are say 30 kms into the wilderness and all you see in all directions are similar wilderness. A basic GPS helps one track back the trail he came hence the request for it as OE!
Old 8th December 2008, 17:02   #67
Senior - BHPian

Well, you see not everyone will be taking the vehicle to the desert for offroading alone and most wouldn't actually need it. Plus, one can always buy it in the market if one wants/needs to.
Old 8th December 2008, 17:28   #68
BHPian

Behram Sir, what I would recommend is to throw in what ever best(mechanically speaking) at around 5.5 to 6.5 lac,

things like gps etc are most of the time a personal preference - just make the electics in such a way that we get to plug in what ever needed (like power sockets for electric air pump) , external lights etc -

I just mean make most of it (gizmo's etc) optional keeping in mind that all the options can be plug and play.

Regards
Irfan
Old 8th December 2008, 18:22   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, you see not everyone will be taking the vehicle to the desert for offroading alone
Well if it has gotta 4x4 then give GPS else not required. I agree 80% dont use the 4x4 hence half of what we want is not required by them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irfanulla View Post

I just mean make most of it (gizmo's etc) optional keeping in mind that all the options can be plug and play.

Hey thats a damn good idea. Also Mahindra can sell half the stuff, as OE replacement parts off the shelf so that we do not hunt for them!
Old 8th December 2008, 18:46   #70
Senior - BHPian

I will still stick to the price bracket of 5-5.5lac [for a 4x4 model]. with stuff like diff lock,LSD,etc and around 6.2 with all the extras,or option of fitting those extras later with factory [a.s.s] support. A good project for serious off roader, where funds is an issue. Buy the vehicle [at reasonable price] and start adding stuff as and when one gets money.

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th December 2008 at 19:52.
Old 8th December 2008, 20:41   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, now for the reqally really important question - HOW MANY OF YOU WILL ACTUALLY PUT YOUR MONEY ON THE TABLE AND ACTUALLY BUY IT? ok, ok your counter question - "depends on what is offered". Let's say that most (not all) of all that you long list wallah guys want is offered. Passenger car beating on-road power delivery / driveability with decent performance, no cost-escalating frills at all (no show sha business), a soft top and a fantastic 4WD with after sale add-on options on mechanicals as well as show sha as you please depending on the moolah on the table. What then? Let's see now.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2008, 20:44   #72
Senior - BHPian

6 lakhs. My money is on the table sir. Oooooops. Didn't see the "soft top" in your post. May be 5.5

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 8th December 2008 at 20:46.
Old 8th December 2008, 21:35   #73
Senior - BHPian

I'll buy one, with 4X4 with front independent suspension, 5 speeder, and descent power[97bhp bolero engine bigger one wont hurt] . That will do for now and get the other stuff later from M&M. And yes the old school Jeep oppps MM540/550 looks. Not the invader/bolero looks.

Last edited by dinar : 8th December 2008 at 21:40.
Old 8th December 2008, 21:52   #74
BHPian

Legend in full production!!!!

Why not replace Invader & productionize some more "Legends"?

Considering Legend was limited edition. make it into full production without some Legend add-ons like: Winch, rollcage, extra lamps & lights, alloy wheels, Stripes & Signatures . But do keep the wheel fenders (imp.)

Now, considering Legend was available @ 7.00 Lacs Approx. Removing all above things should atleast make it cheaper by 1-1.2 Lacs? (Keep the A/c & P/s Optional keeping LSDs as standard in 4WD version) & add to that benefit of full volume production.

So can we accept a Legend-II @ around 5.5-6 Lacs (Ex Mumbai)?

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 8th December 2008 at 21:54.
Old 8th December 2008, 23:50   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Well, now for the reqally really important question - HOW MANY OF YOU WILL ACTUALLY PUT YOUR MONEY ON THE TABLE AND ACTUALLY BUY IT? ok, ok your counter question - "depends on what is offered". Let's say that most (not all) of all that you long list wallah guys want is offered. Passenger car beating on-road power delivery / driveability with decent performance, no cost-escalating frills at all (no show sha business), a soft top and a fantastic 4WD with after sale add-on options on mechanicals as well as show sha as you please depending on the moolah on the table. What then? Let's see now.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Soft top should be factory fitted, A/c and hard top (like the Gypsy being sold by MUL) should be an option. An FRP hard top like the Gypsy should not break the bank.

There are certain states which have banned Soft tops, not in the know of those who have.

The essentials like the 4x4, decent and cheaply repairable engine should be essentials. - Sales would also come in from the paramilitary forces, Rajasthan, MP, UP to a certain extent. Broaden your market base will help you bring in the numbers.

my 2 cents.

Warm regards
M M
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks