Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2008, 16:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

This is a very fair price in today's market. A lot depends on your budget as to how restorable this is. It is a question of how far do you want to go with it. You have noted that this vehicle is accident free. Many-most of the Army Disposal jeeps are not accident free so you are saving money on painting and denting straight away plus you do not have to worry about a sprung chassis. You can can convert to four wheel drive for under 20,000 rupees using good used parts, e.g. transfer case, front propeller, front axle. This figure comes from my shopping around to do the same thing. Anybody else got an idea on this cost?
Old 5th December 2008, 17:35   #17
BHPian

good buy, but i think that this is the 2112 cc engine. am i right?, also no booster for the brake?
Old 5th December 2008, 21:56   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
good buy, but i think that this is the 2112 cc engine. am i right?, also no booster for the brake?
I think this confirms the post that I had responded to a question from Dan about the difference between the 540/550. The 550 is an eight seater as you can see from the label attached in the first couple of pictures. The engine/transmission combo is differentiated by the letters after the number, i.e. DP 2.1 liter/4+R speed, XD 2.5 Liter 4+R speed, XDB 2.5L with BA10 5+R gearbox. .
Old 6th December 2008, 00:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys
I have decided that I will buy the vehicle. Thanks for all the suggestions and help I wouldn’t have managed it so far without the help of everybody from TBhp, Jeep Thrills & NIOC

This is what I have thought I would do
Tomorrow I would go to the dealer and try to negotiate for 70-75k against his asking price of 85k. Once the price is finalized, I would start the paperwork, verify the owner, etc etc. I have decided to get the vehicle registration transferred to Ludhiana, Punjab. For this I have inquired that apart from other things I would be needing a NOC from the RTO where the vehicle is registered favoring the Ludhiana RTO. Now this could take some days. Should I give the dealer/ owner part payment and take the delivery of the vehicle or not to take risk and give the payment only on receipt of the NOC.
I am worried as this is the first time I am buying a secondhand vehicle. Had this been a Delhi registered vehicle there would have been no problem/ worries. Pl advise!

Hoping that all the above goes as per order and I get the delivery of the vehicle, I have compiled a list of modifications that I would be getting done in the Jeep.
4WD and add Disc Brakes
Swap the front tube housing and rear Differential with a set of 4wd Front and Rear Differentials of a Mahindra 550. This should also have a set of Disc Brakes in the Front Differential. Also get a Servo Brake Cylinder installed and a transfer case. This will complete the 4WD with disc brakes.
What do I have to do if I want Power Brakes. Would have to change the alternator which comes with a vacuum pump. What should be the estimate expense for this? If this does not cost much I would like to get this done too.
Another option I have is that I can swap the complete transmission of my vehicle with the complete working transmission of a 550 - 4WD vehicle. Maybe I would try this option too.
LSD & Free Wheeling Hubs
I was thinking that as long as we are working on the transmission, what are the odds that I also add LSD in the rear and Free Wheeling Hubs in the front. How much would this cost and is it advisable? But somehow, if I manage to do this then the transmission is complete in all aspects. Do you agree?
Steering work
I would also be needing a steering overhaul. What should be the estimate for this, considering this is not a power steering. I think that this shouldn’t cost much?
Tyres and Rims
I would like to add the Tyres and really love the Rims that come standard on the Army MM-550. So would like to get those. Cost for a set of 5??
Service
I am also thinking that I should get it serviced from an authorized garage after all this is done? Whats say…
Cosmetics
The above basically completes the mechanical aspects of the vehicle and then depending how much the above costs me and what amount I am left with, I can start to work on the cosmetics like Bucket Seats, Soft Top cover, suspension, Head lights, Tail lights, indicators. The list can go on and on….

I have listed the above in order of preference. Any other aspects that I have missed out or not prioritized correctly please do let me know.

How much would everything listed above cost in approximation?

Thanks
Harjeev

Mods: please change the title to
"MM 550 DP - Decided to buy - Need Suggestions!"

Last edited by harjeev : 6th December 2008 at 00:17.
Old 6th December 2008, 01:09   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

You will have buy a transmission with the 4x4 transfer case to convert to 4x4.
Old 6th December 2008, 01:25   #21
BHPian

If you change your mind about buying this let me know I would be interested. You can convert it into a 4WD easily. Cost involved will be between 20K to 40K depending you choose to go for second hand parts and local mechanic or new original parts and authorized service station. Brake booster costs 4-5k. Yes you would need an alternator with vacuum pump to drive it. Army MM550 rims you can buy at mayapuri around 3.5k per rim. Second hand transfer case and front differential can also be bought there very cheap as most of the people get their 550 converted to 2wd with nissan/isuzu engines there.

cheers
vishwas
Old 6th December 2008, 05:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

@vishwaschettri:
thanks for the info on the costs.
Dont worry! If i decide against buying this vehicle then i would let you know first. Pl PM me you number. I like the vehicle, its just the paperwork, which if not OK, can sour the deal.
As i read somewhere "A LITTLE CAUTION SAVES A LOT OF REGRET"

Are you sure that the entire conversion from an authorised workshop will cost a max of 40K and with new parts?
I mean is this including rear diffs, front diffs (with discs), drive shafts, transfer case and the labour. i am thinking that if the difference between old and new parts is not mote than 25% ill prefer new parts. If its more, then Mayapuri it is!

I will also go for power brake booster as its not very expensive and will greatly improve the handling and reliability for the vehicle.
How much should the alternator with the vaccum pump be?

And guys please help on LSD & FWHub's?

Man ! These Army Rims are as expensive than Alloys. What do they do? Sell by the weight! And i am thinking these must be without tyres?
Old 6th December 2008, 06:22   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

As an option to army rims, you may want to get Gypsy rims. They share the same PCD and is much cheaper. They look nice..
Old 6th December 2008, 07:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

gypsy rims are 15" whereas the army ones are 16"
Old 6th December 2008, 10:48   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Man ! These Army Rims are as expensive than Alloys. What do they do? Sell by the weight! And i am thinking these must be without tyres?
Army Rims (16 x 5.5 inch) in Mayapuri are Rs. 2000 per rim and alloy wheel there (not of any good brand) are somewhere around Rs. 3000 or 3500 (15 x 6.5 inch) per piece.

If you do not want to spend all that much of money, go for Chevrolet Tavera's rim with changed PCD, I bought them before 5 months for Rs. 1100 each (they are 15 x 5.5 inch I think) but since I than changed my mind so they are still lying with me. This will give a unique look on the Jeep. In Mayapuri, just go the street, just opposite the CNG gas station and next to the seat wala, you will find a wheel is put on display (the one who keeps so many Jeeps ready for sell), you can have a look of it there.

If your pocket is full, you can find so many amazing things in Mayapuri, I simply love that place.
Old 6th December 2008, 13:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
go for Chevrolet Tavera's rim with changed PCD,
No, please go for original rims. The changed PCD is not OK!
Old 6th December 2008, 16:38   #27
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev, if you get the Army Rims (16 x 5.5 inch) reasonable cheap, try to get NDMS tyres. Your jeep will look great and perform in all adverse conditons..
Old 7th December 2008, 08:39   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
If you change your mind about buying this let me know I would be interested. You can convert it into a 4WD easily. Cost involved will be between 20K to 40K depending you choose to go for second hand parts and local mechanic or new original parts and authorized service station. Brake booster costs 4-5k. Yes you would need an alternator with vacuum pump to drive it. Army MM550 rims you can buy at mayapuri around 3.5k per rim. Second hand transfer case and front differential can also be bought there very cheap as most of the people get their 550 converted to 2wd with nissan/isuzu engines there.

cheers
vishwas
Hey guys,
I have decided not to go in for this vehicle for the time being. The only reason being that I have never bought a second hand vehicle and I can bring myself to complete satisfaction in regards to the mechanics of the car. Maybe Ill think some more days or couple of weeks.

I am not even opposed to buying a new vehicle and really like the Mahindra Major as it has the same engine as the 540 DP. But would not like to spend so much money. But at the same time by spending a couple of lacs more I get complete piece of mind.
I am really confised. So I would like to sit cool on it for some time and then take a decision. But I do not want to take a decision that i would regret later.

Also I am not opposed to buying a CJ3B petrol and am trying to read on it too and get info on that about the restoration costs, maintainnce cost etc.
I think Petrols as compared to Diesels are more easily maintainable. So you see there is so much going on in my mind. I just want to sit cool, take time in making a decision and then take the plunge.

Last edited by harjeev : 7th December 2008 at 08:42.
Old 7th December 2008, 15:34   #29
BHPian

Can understand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey guys,
I have decided not to go in for this vehicle for the time being. The only reason being that I have never bought a second hand vehicle and I can bring myself to complete satisfaction in regards to the mechanics of the car. Maybe Ill think some more days or couple of weeks.

I am not even opposed to buying a new vehicle and really like the Mahindra Major as it has the same engine as the 540 DP. But would not like to spend so much money. But at the same time by spending a couple of lacs more I get complete piece of mind.
I am really confised. So I would like to sit cool on it for some time and then take a decision. But I do not want to take a decision that i would regret later.

Also I am not opposed to buying a CJ3B petrol and am trying to read on it too and get info on that about the restoration costs, maintainnce cost etc.
I think Petrols as compared to Diesels are more easily maintainable. So you see there is so much going on in my mind. I just want to sit cool, take time in making a decision and then take the plunge.
Dear Harjeev,

I can understand the confusion as I myself am searching for a perfect my-kinda-Jeep for around 6 months now. Did find 3-4 of them but then could'nt decide on them. I guess its more like love at first sight and not an arranged marriage kinda thing..

Its good to take your time...

Who knows the love of your life will be the next corner...

I had found a very neat 02 Army auction MM550 but could not decide for the similar reasons. The deal looked like gonna be very expensive so after 2 weeks of thinking over, dropped it.
Attached Thumbnails
MM 550 DP - Found It ! Buy it or not?-27092008258.jpg  

MM 550 DP - Found It ! Buy it or not?-27092008259.jpg  

MM 550 DP - Found It ! Buy it or not?-27092008261.jpg  

Old 7th December 2008, 18:28   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Wise decision. Don't waste money. Please spend it if the vehicle offers equivalent value otherwise it is not worth it. Each army wheel rim for 3.5K? You must be kidding.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Most Viewed