Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2008, 11:11   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Each army wheel rim for 3.5K? You must be kidding.
One Army rim in Delhi cost Rs. 2000.
Old 15th December 2008, 23:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

Bought MM 550 Army Disposal

Mods
i have bought a MM 550 4x4 XD and have stated a new thread to share the experiences.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...ec-bought.html

So if the need be please close this thread.
Old 21st May 2012, 18:29   #33
BHPian

Re: Jeeps/Gypsy's: All through Army Auctions: What, When, Where, How?

hi experts, i need your advice. there is this mahindra diesel jeep that i might be able to lay my hands on. this is a 1992-93 mahindra jeep. don't know much about jeeps, so please help:

1. is this a mm550? considering it's over 20 years old, how is it different from the more recent 550s and the army disposals? if not, what am i getting into?

2. is this worth picking up? my idea behind picking up this is to essentially make it into a reliable ride in the city. no plans of off roading now. as of now i drive a gypsy as a daily car. want to use this jeep along the same lines.

3. at a later stage, if i want to upgrade the engine, gear box, how easy or difficult will it be, both in terms of effort and money?

4. also, what should be a fair price to pay for this jeep?

thanks in advance.
the pics follow:
Attached Thumbnails
MM 550 DP - Found It ! Buy it or not?-20120520-10.14.31.jpg  

MM 550 DP - Found It ! Buy it or not?-20120520-10.15.03.jpg  

MM 550 DP - Found It ! Buy it or not?-20120520-10.15.36.jpg  

MM 550 DP - Found It ! Buy it or not?-20120520-10.15.38.jpg  

MM 550 DP - Found It ! Buy it or not?-20120520-10.15.41.jpg  

MM 550 DP - Found It ! Buy it or not?-20120520-10.14.08.jpg  

MM 550 DP - Found It ! Buy it or not?-20120520-10.14.18.jpg  

MM 550 DP - Found It ! Buy it or not?-20120520-10.14.48.jpg  

Old 21st May 2012, 19:17   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving always! View Post
hi experts, i need your advice. there is this mahindra diesel jeep that i might be able to lay my hands on. this is a 1992-93 mahindra jeep. don't know much about jeeps, so please help:

1. is this a mm550? considering it's over 20 years old, how is it different from the more recent 550s and the army disposals? if not, what am i getting into?

2. is this worth picking up?

3. at a later stage, if i want to upgrade the engine, gear box, how easy or difficult will it be, both in terms of effort and money?

4. also, what should be a fair price to pay for this jeep?

thanks in advance.
the pics follow:

1. It appears to be an 2WD MM550. Please share details like where you found this vehicle? Is it a Police disposal / Army Disposal / private sale ?

2. You would be spending close to 4 lacs on this at the very least to bring it to road-worthy condition.

3. It is possible and if cost is not an issue, Thar's engine might go into it. Mahindra A.S.S May do it or your roadside mechanic will definetly do it. Why dont you try engine re-boring instead of replacement. Use it as long as it runs. You are from New Delhi. Mayapuri - your one stop shop.

4. I would start with 50,000 and end at 75,000 MAX if all papers are in order. Since its a 2WD I personally feel (maybe wrong) its not worth more.

General Things:
  • Why dont you look at Thar or other Jeeps for sale which are in better shape. There are excellent deals on Petrol Jeeps. Brand New thar is anyday better than a restoration.
  • Is Paper work in order
  • Who is the seller
  • Your gypsy would be a 4WD. Are you okay to own a 2WD Jeep?

Last edited by scopriobharath : 21st May 2012 at 19:21.
Old 25th May 2012, 10:06   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
1. It appears to be an 2WD MM550. Please share details like where you found this vehicle? Is it a Police disposal / Army Disposal / private sale ?

2. You would be spending close to 4 lacs on this at the very least to bring it to road-worthy condition.

3. It is possible and if cost is not an issue, Thar's engine might go into it. Mahindra A.S.S May do it or your roadside mechanic will definetly do it. Why dont you try engine re-boring instead of replacement. Use it as long as it runs. You are from New Delhi. Mayapuri - your one stop shop.

4. I would start with 50,000 and end at 75,000 MAX if all papers are in order. Since its a 2WD I personally feel (maybe wrong) its not worth more.

General Things:
  • Why dont you look at Thar or other Jeeps for sale which are in better shape. There are excellent deals on Petrol Jeeps. Brand New thar is anyday better than a restoration.
  • Is Paper work in order
  • Who is the seller
  • Your gypsy would be a 4WD. Are you okay to own a 2WD Jeep?
hi scorpiobharath,
thanks for the prompt reply. my apologies for a verry late reply, thanks mainly to my ignorance about 'quoting the right way'. have finally figured it out. and just to warn all tbhp friends, my ignorance in jeeps is much worse! so, get ready for some 'tough' (read idiotic) questions!

1. this is from indian oil, delhi airport. they're disposing it off. would this be a mm 550 dp/di engine?

2. did you say 4 lakhs? well, am having second thoughts already. my idea behind picking it up is to well to initially have a jeep that runs from point a to point b without breaking down. and, not much, but impresses with its looks (not very difficult to do for a jeep). so, when you say 4 lakhs, what all does it entail?

3. cost is most definitely an issue! personally, i was hoping to source whatever parts i require from mayapuri and get it running. and, i'm sure, experts are going to chew me over this one, but was hoping to get a working mm 550 dp/di for around 1.5 lakhs. does it sound overly optimistic?

4. my understanding is the same. i'd pick it up max for around 60k.

the biggest plus for this is that it has a delhi number and if i get to retain it, it might just cost me an additional 20 k.
my idea behind getting is just to use it on road, definitely no off-roading. for that i have my gypsy. and, on road, i rarely use my 4X4 in gypsy. so i'm assuming 4X4 is not going to be an issue.
Old 25th May 2012, 11:39   #36
Senior - BHPian

Re: MM 550 DP - Found It ! Buy it or not?

^
MM540, 2112CC XDP4.90 Engine, 4+1 KMT90 GB, 2WD ,non-booster brakes

Body is nearly shot due to exposure to nature (moist foggy Delhi, and super heat - cycle)

Drive line/Engine "MAY" be super because of tarmac use and assumed good maintenance by a erstwhile good owner in IOC/AAI.

35-50K MAX under auction, not more! Needs quite a bit of work. (tinkering, painting, interior, tyres, battery, all mechanicals servicing)
Old 25th May 2012, 13:03   #37
BHPian

Re: MM 550 DP - Found It ! Buy it or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
^
MM540, 2112CC XDP4.90 Engine, 4+1 KMT90 GB, 2WD ,non-booster brakes

Body is nearly shot due to exposure to nature (moist foggy Delhi, and super heat - cycle)

Drive line/Engine "MAY" be super because of tarmac use and assumed good maintenance by a erstwhile good owner in IOC/AAI.

35-50K MAX under auction, not more! Needs quite a bit of work. (tinkering, painting, interior, tyres, battery, all mechanicals servicing)

Thanks a ton, santosh!

ok so am revising the figure to 50k max. apart from that how easy of difficult would it be to source parts/rebuild this engine (both in terms of availability and cost?

would i be able to upgrade the brakes to booster brakes?

how much do you think i'd need to spend to make this roadworthy?

also, in my limited knowledge i thought this is a mm550. you've mentioned it as MM540, 2112CC XDP4.90 Engine. what's the difference between the two?

i know its too many questions. thanks in anticipation!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks