Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2009, 13:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyman View Post
Considering the fact that Gypsy is the best indian off roader, what will be the wish list if some one wa to buy a fully customised gypsy, and at what cost.
Ha ha..how do you say Gypsy is THE BEST INDIAN OFF ROADER??

Quote:
Will you want to customise a Gypsy king, MG 410 or an MG413?
A gypsy king is a MG413

Quote:
Engine - Replace stock with ? -Diese/Petrol (best option on market)
Suspension
Brakes
Interiors
Seats
Safety features
Diff locks
AT tyres?
Off road capabilities (list)
and...........................
Go for SWIFT DDIS if you can find an engine..

Gas filled dampers

Ceramic Discs all around

Interiors are a personal choice - cant discuss on a public forum

Diff Locks - Why would you need a diff lock in a gypsy?

The last point - off road capabilities basically depends on the driver. If you are smart, you will take the gypsy where you want to go.

Quote:
Am keeping PS and AC as a standard option
Both are quite unneccessary..especially the PS bit.
Old 2nd March 2009, 14:13   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Correction. Gypsy is NOT the best Indian off-roader. It is ONE of the best. There is NO such thing as 'the best'. Each 4x4 vehicle has some areas where they stand out and some areas where some other 4x4's stand out.

Cheers,
I always thought the gypsy was the best offroader, but after being at the otr on 1st march I think its one of the best.
I was really impressed seeing the Mahindras perform and never thought they would do that well.
I have new found respect for the Mahindra jeeps.

Cheers
Old 2nd March 2009, 20:16   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

All I'd want in a Gypsy is a torquey diesel, everything else is just perfect. I have a thing for bare basic offroaders.
Old 2nd March 2009, 20:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
All I'd want in a Gypsy is a torquey diesel,
or maybe own a petrol pump GTO..

The lusty petrol engine is good if one can manage to just fill her up without experiencing the wallet lighting experience..
Old 2nd March 2009, 20:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

The Gypsy would have been far more useful with better suspension & an OPTION for a diesel for those who want one. Power steering would be on my wishlist as well (are we not spoilt with all the power steering rides we drive ?)

Cheers
Old 3rd March 2009, 04:16   #21
BHPian

I like the gypsy for what it is. It's main quality are weight, simplicity, and reliability. I agree it's not everybody's stuff, especially if you want it to be good both offroad and on road. You either like it or hate it. By adding diesel and other stuff it will only make it heavier and away from its core strengths and the character it has. Changing the gearing will be the best option if you want more torque.

I am weird but I enjoy the driving experience of it, because of the neck breaking feedback it gives. The feedback is constant and it keeps you engaged throughout the drive(on or off). You adapt your driving to make it smooth, if you like. It makes for a good vehicle to improve ones offroad skills. For comfort, mileage and your long life, there are lots of other good options. These days it's easier to get a vehicle with creature comforts, but gypsy still challenges me to drive it unplugged.

The above is purely my opinion, you can do whatever you like with your gypsies . I will be keen to see and appreciate.

On my wish list I have 31s, lockers, gearing and a cage.
Old 3rd March 2009, 06:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motocoorg View Post
By adding diesel and other stuff it will only make it heavier and away from its core strengths and the character it has......On my wish list I have 31s, lockers, gearing and a cage.
I have seen several police Gypsys here being serviced at the Maruti dealer. They all have, not a complete cage, but a heavy roll bar installed aftermarket right behind the front seats, welded into the body. It's a nice safety feature not discussed much on this forum. One counter argument is that the extra weight of a cage or roll bar tends to make a vehicle more likely to rollover, thus defeating the purpose. Moderation in size and scope would seem to be a good idea.

On the diesel swap, well, everything is a compromise. I would try to put an Indian diesel in one if I were thinking diesel, not a tired old Japanese castoff. The weight factor is not overwelmingly large, I think. Leafs and shocks can be added and PS if needed.

As for "character" a lot of us think diesels have plenty of that this side of a BMW motorcycle or an American muscle car.
Old 3rd March 2009, 07:54   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
They all have, not a complete cage, but a heavy roll bar installed aftermarket right behind the front seats, welded into the body.

Actually I have been pondering on that idea. It is better than nothing. Also agree about moderation.

As for "character" a lot of us think diesels have plenty of that this side of a BMW motorcycle or an American muscle car.
I agree, I am one of them too, diesel is good fun. I love them, but just not in a gypsy. American muscle car too..anyday but BMW motorcycle..

But like I said its just my taste to things, I appreciate others unless its too wacky.
Old 3rd March 2009, 08:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
They all have, not a complete cage, but a heavy roll bar installed aftermarket right behind the front seats, welded into the body. It's a nice safety feature not discussed much on this forum.
Hey Ken, the B pillar of the gypsy is the defacto rollcage factory fitted. It can withstand a rollover!

Any additional tubes in the name of a rollcage IMO spoils the beauty of the vehicle!

Cheers
Old 3rd March 2009, 10:44   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hey Ken, the B pillar of the gypsy is the defacto rollcage factory fitted. It can withstand a rollover!

Any additional tubes in the name of a rollcage IMO spoils the beauty of the vehicle!

Cheers
The B pillar of the Gypsy is not really as strong as we would like to believe.
It definitely helps in a rollover but deforms easily as does the windscreen frame. Not much protection to be had in a multiple rollover situation like rolling down an incline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan
It's a nice safety feature not discussed much on this forum. One counter argument is that the extra weight of a cage or roll bar tends to make a vehicle more likely to rollover
Not really. The extra weight of the roll cage would have a negligible effect on the rollover angle of the Gypsy. Unless the roll cage is made of 3 inch thick cast iron pipes

My take is that if one is really into seriously into off-roading a well made roll cage is a very very good insurance. In Delhi, you can get one fabricated in the 12000-25000 Rupees range, depending on your choice of fabricator.

There was an incident last year here in Shimla, where a Gypsy rolled down 300 meteres into a gorge. The vehicle was ripped apart. The chassis, engine, transmission were all seperated. The only thing that survived intact was the cabin, thanks to the roll cage.

So, my take is that if you are into any kind of sport with your Gypsy, a roll cage should be high up on your wish list.

Safety first, Fun afterwards
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:14   #26
BHPian

Quote:
So, my take is that if you are into any kind of sport with your Gypsy, a roll cage should be high up on your wish list.

Safety first, Fun afterwards
Well said man, I had a 6 point cage on my old gypsy, never got close to testing it but it did feel safe in it. It was like riding with a full gear on a motorcycle.
Eventhough its not a good solution, the bar DD is suggesting should be better than having nothing. It will still deform the body but thier is a little chance that you save your head getting crushed if you are secured on the seat ( on a small roll over offcourse).

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd March 2009 at 11:27. Reason: fixed message quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

i love gypsy but i don't like offroading personally till now..
if i buy gypsy this is what i want in my ride.

18 inch lipped alloys + low pro tyres
Good Shocks + lowering by 2 inches
bigger motor or add turbo to stock engine
Good Exhaust
NICE ICE
Recaro Seats
And to forget Roll cage
Brake upgrade aleast on front

Last edited by chiragh_bir : 3rd March 2009 at 12:07.
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post
i love gypsy but i don't like offroading personally till now..
if i buy gypsy this is what i want in my ride.

18 inch lipped alloys + low pro tyres
Good Shocks + lowering by 2 inches
bigger motor or add turbo to stock engine
Good Exhaust
NICE ICE
Recaro Seats
And to forget Roll cage
Brake upgrade aleast on front
Hey Chriagh,
The above set of upgrades you would do, if you plan to take your gypsy on a drag. But gypsy is a good offroader. If you would want to use it as a drag car, you could do these upgrades on a zen/swift and that would give you better results. Just my opinion..
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 3rd March 2009, 13:01   #29
Senior - BHPian

@ starter

not this for drag please.. it will be more for a flauting & street level power..
Old 3rd March 2009, 13:40   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post
@ starter

not this for drag please.. it will be more for a flauting & street level power..
@Chirag bir, Just visit this thread mentioned below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...ali-jeeps.html

You will get whatever you want here -- Jo maango ge usse zayada he milega

PS: And Dabwali is near to where you are located. So, happy hunting.

PPS: A Jeep will look very good for whatever you are looking for. A Gypsy will not give you that much 'flaunting & street level power'.

Cheers,

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd March 2009 at 13:42.

Most Viewed