Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2008, 11:03   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud_Chaser View Post
Hey DK,

Is the 4X4 working?
You broke my heart by asking this . A Jeep without working 4X4 are not actually Jeeps.... Yes, it is in perfect working condition and I am using it quite often in the nearby desert area. You will wonder that even within the city, I had to use 4x4 twice. Once when I parked my vehicle close to construction site on soft sand. And other time when while backing up, one of the rear tyre was in the air when a big stone was stuck up inbetween the rear wheels. I am completely spoiled now and can not drive a car anymore (I earlier had Maruti800).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYJ View Post
Wow Great work DK!! Really loved your Taillamps. What rims are those??
These are imported rims, made in taiwan. I bought them from Delhi. That's it, I don't know any more about them. I tried to source more from the same place later, but he can not manage anymore. I understood from one of the MM540 owner who has similar rims that they can be imported for 9k to 10K each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
the rims remind me of tavera rims
You are wrong man. I know you are refering to the old rims of Tavera and they are very much different. I have a set of them with me, if you want I can post a picture of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
You removed the hinges of wind sheild. So that area could have been reduced.
, I could not get it. Can you please explain a bit more.

Quote:
How bout back like this. just a suggestion though.
yes, I like it. But pls be more specific, what from this back, you want me to adopt as you know it is not possible to make the complete replica. I like the sheet, pested in the corners (the black coloured one). I have seen the same kind of aluminum sheet is available in market but I am not sure if the paint on it will long last or not. I will give it a thought in the 2nd phase for sure but I guess it will look good if the Jeep is painted in some other colour. Do not wonder if I call the same Jeep after 5 years "The Gray Machine"

Quote:
Do you like hella, etc up front.?
Come on, hella is a must on Jeep as they not only increase the look but they are very usefull also. I do NOT like the way the front bumper is now and I guess I have to give some treatment to this. THOUGHTS AND IDEAS ARE INVITED PLEASE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
I can just imagine the kind of effort, time and money that must have gone into such a project. So keep it up and do let know the costs of the total project from the starting.
The cost so far is aprox 2.75 Lakh to 3 Lakh PLUS almost my 350+ hrs. Jeep means Just Empty Every Pocket and I am a true Jeeper in that sence (I still owe the machanic a big amount).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Please PM me for any further assistance that you may need. I will guide you in totality.
Thanks Dhabhar, just be ready for quite a many questions from me. I know you are technically very strong and I will glad to clarify my doubts with you. I will be posting my quetions in the same thread, pls stay in touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
By the way, your vehicle cannot be 1980 model. The first MM540s were made in Kandivli in 1985.
Tussi Great ... You are right, it is 1990. Sorry for the mistake.
Old 10th December 2008, 11:36   #17
BHPian

hi Naren nice effort, good looking jeep, but try and put a similar effort in your spelling mate. no offense meant, hope not to rub you the wrong way.
Old 10th December 2008, 13:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The cost so far is aprox 2.75 Lakh to 3 Lakh PLUS almost my 350+ hrs.
Hi naren,
After having spent so much i think u intend to keep the jeep with you. Hope you are not selling it!
Old 10th December 2008, 14:33   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Hi naren,
After having spent so much i think u intend to keep the jeep with you. Hope you are not selling it!
Now that you mention it. I remember seeing this -> Team-BHP Classifieds - MM540/550, complitely renovated - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
Old 10th December 2008, 14:51   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Hi naren,
Vinod, Nice seeing you here. I have finally decided not sale this off and to spend some more money+time to make it better. I am in love with the Jeep.

All, I have a question ::
This Jeep was originally fitted with 2.1 ltr XDB engine and 5.38 ratio differential (8:43, Tail/Crown).

We changed the engine to XD3B (2.5 ltr, 72 BHP) and drove the Jeep with 5.38 ration only. The drive on road was not good and vehicle is demanding for one more gear.

Than we changed the rear one 3.54 (13:46) to check how is the drive. It was working fine and the forth gear was like overdrive gear. However as obvious, there were drop in the power in the first gear. I was considering the AC fitting in near future.

Note that the original MM550XD comes with the same engine+gear box and with 4.88 (9:44) ratio differential. Finally I got them changed both quite recently to 4.27 (11:47) and enjoying the good ride on all the surfaces & on the road too.

I am planing to fit LSD in the rear. Can use the current differential and convert them to LSD, if yes, how; if no, why not. Gurus, need your Gyan.
Old 10th December 2008, 15:28   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
See here what is under the hood... XD3B engine which deliveres 62 BHP power..
Correction :: XD3B motor from army MM550XD fitted which is 2.5 ltr and delivers 72 BHP. This is supposed the be the best Mahindra engine in non turbo category.

Last edited by DesertKing : 10th December 2008 at 15:46.
Old 10th December 2008, 16:11   #22
BHPian

I am planing to fit LSD in the rear. Can use the current differential and convert them to LSD, if yes, how; if no, why not. Gurus, need your Gyan.[/quote]
The current Differential unit can be replaced with an LSD( Limited Slip Differential).You can use the LSD made by AUBURN GEARS, USA( Part no: 5420111) This is meant for Dana 44 19 spline with final ratio of 3.92& UP. The current hypoid drive can remain the same.
Suresh
Old 10th December 2008, 16:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

i meant the space below the wind sheild. jyada hai if hinge is removed, it looks odd.
Also yes the front bumper has scope of improvement. Check the once used by Hyd jeeps. double chrome piped ones will look great.

The Blue Machine- A 540 converted into my dream machine..-desertking.jpg

YJ
The Blue Machine- A 540 converted into my dream machine..-jeep_yj-small.jpg
Old 10th December 2008, 17:10   #24
BHPian

Quote:
i meant the space below the wind sheild. jyada hai if hinge is removed, it looks odd.
Also yes the front bumper has scope of improvement. Check the once used by Hyd jeeps. double chrome piped ones will look great.

Attachment 78387

YJ
Attachment 78388
Thanks SirAlec, Both are nice suggestions. We can perhaps fit the windshiled of Bolero in the 2nd phase (I guess it is taller than MM540). But than the deshboard will be visible from the front, which will spoil the look I suppose.

I like the suggested double pipe bumper but I suspect if the chrome one will look nice. I would like to go for either Black (same as body colour) or Silver (same as wheels' colour). Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suresh Stephen View Post
The current Differential unit can be replaced with an LSD( Limited Slip Differential).You can use the LSD made by AUBURN GEARS, USA( Part no: 5420111) This is meant for Dana 44 19 spline with final ratio of 3.92& UP. The current hypoid drive can remain the same.
Suresh
Hi Suresh, My Jeep is 4x4 so if we will change the ratio of the rear one, we have to have the same ratio for the front differential too. Which means the cost will be doubled up. Any idea how much does the suggested LSD (Auburn Gears) cost and if it is available in India.

Last edited by DesertKing : 10th December 2008 at 17:20.
Old 10th December 2008, 17:41   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
hi Naren nice effort, good looking jeep, but try and put a similar effort in your spelling mate. no offense meant, hope not to rub you the wrong way.
I just noticed that there is spelling mistake even in the name of the thread . Regret.

WhiteMM550, you are right and I will try to improve my ignorance on this front. Thanks.

Last edited by DesertKing : 10th December 2008 at 17:44.
Old 10th December 2008, 17:48   #26
SYJ
BHPian

@desert king

@desertking

try to have side indicators as that of the jeep rubicon as in the pic below. feel tht it would look good on ur jeep
Attached Thumbnails
The Blue Machine- A 540 converted into my dream machine..-2004.5jeepwrangler8.jpg  

Old 10th December 2008, 17:55   #27
BHPian

Quote:
@desertking

try to have side indicators as that of the jeep rubicon as in the pic below. feel tht it would look good on ur jeep
Do you mean the below kind of side indicators... They are the Bolero's front indicator, I wanted to opt them earlier but than I droped the idea as I thought the round white indicater will look better. The other reason was that I wanted to fit all around the white glass indicator. However this is a good idea.

Great if we can import the original lights of Jeep Rubicon of USA.
Attached Thumbnails
The Blue Machine- A 540 converted into my dream machine..-25.jpg  

The Blue Machine- A 540 converted into my dream machine..-27.jpg  

Last edited by DesertKing : 10th December 2008 at 18:04.
Old 10th December 2008, 17:59   #28
SYJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Do you mean the below kind of side indicators...

ya those type of..and if you could have indicators on the sides as well. it would look much better
Old 10th December 2008, 18:17   #29
BHPian

great work! Can see the attention given to details!
I wonder how it must feel to have the luxuries of a car and the extreme capability of a jeep!

Kudos to you for getting it done man!
Old 10th December 2008, 18:17   #30
BHPian

Quote:
ya those type of..and if you could have indicators on the sides as well. it would look much better
We can do a lot many things on a Jeep in cosmetic dept but it is very difficult to give it a nice finish and to have a right balance of the accesories/lights. I always tried to manage it and I guess after so many modification, it is able to retain a clean look.

Last edited by DesertKing : 10th December 2008 at 18:21.

Most Viewed