Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2008, 19:56   #31
Senior - BHPian

HI Naren,

Thanks for the PM. Nice job, but what mods have you done to make the jeep PERFORM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Note that the original MM550XD comes with the same engine+gear box and with 4.88 (9:44) ratio differential. Finally I got them changed both quite recently to 4.27 (11:47) and enjoying the good ride on all the surfaces & on the road too.

Guess you have revised diff ratios, what else? Do you want to make your jeep cosmetically great or do you want performance also?

A quick look at Redmm340 s 2.6 Monster CL340 would give you some ideas on the performance side.

Good luck!
Old 10th December 2008, 21:05   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Suresh, My Jeep is 4x4 so if we will change the ratio of the rear one, we have to have the same ratio for the front differential too. Which means the cost will be doubled up. Any idea how much does the suggested LSD (Auburn Gears) cost and if it is available in India.
Sorry I should have been more clearer.You need not change the crown and pinion. This model of LSD is meant for ratios from 3.92 onwards and your current gear ratio meets the requirement. This LSD is not available in india. It will cost around $300/- (approximately) in the US
Suresh
Old 11th December 2008, 09:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We can do a lot many things on a Jeep in cosmetic front, but it is very difficult to give it a nice finish and to have a right balance of the accesories/lights. I always tried to manage it and I guess after so many modification, it is able to retain a clean look.
You are absolutely right. On the cosmetic department, you can keep on adding expensive stuffs, but at the end it is highly important whether the clean look is retained (not to mention the cost aspect..!!) Regarding the performance mods, I am sure you are going to try some new sets of things in your dream machine. Regarding the hand brake of Armada Grand:
1. What are the sets of components in the hand brake assembly.
2. Did you source this one also from Mayapuri? If so, for how much?
Also, why did you go for the Koyo make PS unit in stead of the armada grand one? Finally, how much did you spend for the roll cage?
Happy jeeping.
-Best regards,
Old 11th December 2008, 10:54   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Regarding the hand brake of Armada Grand:
1. What are the sets of components in the hand brake assembly.
2. Did you source this one also from Mayapuri? If so, for how much?
Also, why did you go for the Koyo make PS unit in stead of the armada grand one? Finally, how much did you spend for the roll cage?
1. the hand brake assembly is not in working condition yet. Only the hand brake handle and the unit inside the rear drum is fitted so far. It is still due to connect the handle and the rear drum by a cable.
2. No, the hand brake was not source from Mayapuri (Delhi), it was a local source. We just took the handle. Note that in Armada grand, the handbreak lever is not in the center, instead close to the door, so we could not use the other components such as cable etc.

Regarding PS :: to fit the PS of Armada Grand, we had to cut the front C section, which I did not want due to stability issue.

Regarding the Roll Over Cage :: this costed me aprox 7k to 8k overall.

Last edited by DesertKing : 11th December 2008 at 10:58.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:23   #35
BHPian

Hi,

As i said earlier, Nice Jeep.

I like the roll cage.

Please do let me know where you sourced the brake lights from. They look pretty snazzy !!!!

Cheers

Randeep
Old 11th December 2008, 12:25   #36
BHPian

Great Work!

Hi DK!

Great going man! You are an inspiration!

I can only imagine what you would have gone through on this project. Just one suggestion, try to close the gap between the tyres and the body. What I mean is the vehicle looks a bit too raised and the gap between the tyres and the body makes it look a bit far from the look you want to give it.

Take a look at some of the pics of wranglers post in this thread. If the suspension setup is lowered a bit, it will work wonders on how the vehicle looks.

I do understand that it will limit the GC, but something in between can be worked out.

Also, as SirAlec has suggested regarding the space under the windshield, I would suggest you can put some kind of black sticker or a line that will make it look like it is serving some purpose. A blank space looks pretty odd and putting anything there will improve the look.

Also a set of good RVMs would enhance the look.

Best of luck!

Regards
Vinay Rathore
Old 12th December 2008, 08:02   #37
SYJ
BHPian

@ desertking

from where did you get those brake lights from.?? badly need those. its of a jeep wranglers rite
Old 12th December 2008, 12:25   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYJ View Post
@ desertking

from where did you get those brake lights from.?? badly need those. its of a jeep wranglers rite
Go to www(dot)ebay(dot)com and search for - jeep cj tail light. They are not available in India, only in USA.

Last edited by DesertKing : 12th December 2008 at 12:40.
Old 13th December 2008, 00:19   #39
Senior - BHPian

Hi DesertKing
The 4x4 that you have in your jeep is that a standard company fitment or a an after market fitment?
I am asking as I saw a 1996 540 DP 4x4 couple of days back and that had a single lever transfer case compared to your 2 lever. Any reason why?

even this model has a single lever http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...ml#post1090540

Last edited by harjeev : 13th December 2008 at 00:20.
Old 14th December 2008, 10:37   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hi DesertKing
The 4x4 that you have in your jeep is that a standard company fitment or a an after market fitment?
I am asking as I saw a 1996 540 DP 4x4 couple of days back and that had a single lever transfer case compared to your 2 lever. Any reason why?
Hi Harjeev, Yes, my Jeep has got the standard company fitted 4x4, the earlier version of Mahindra Jeeps were having the 2 levers and I personally like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Just one suggestion, try to close the gap between the tyres and the body. What I mean is the vehicle looks a bit too raised and the gap between the tyres and the body makes it look a bit far from the look you want to give it.

Take a look at some of the pics of wranglers post in this thread. If the suspension setup is lowered a bit, it will work wonders on how the vehicle looks.

I do understand that it will limit the GC, but something in between can be worked out.

Also a set of good RVMs would enhance the look.
Hi Vinay, I guess, lowering down the suspension must not impect the Ground Clearance since the differential is the lowest part of the Jeep which has got nothing to do with the suspension set up.

However if we decrease the gap between the tyre and body, it will adverse impect on the off road capabilities of the vehicle. Just see the below photo and see why the gap is required (otherwise the tyre will touch the body).

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalrider View Post
great work! Can see the attention given to details!
I wonder how it must feel to have the luxuries of a car and the extreme capability of a jeep!

Kudos to you for getting it done man!
Yes, you are right, digitalrider. Even this is far better than a car; specially on the bad roads. You do not have to bother about the holes and speed brakers, just keep on moving on the same speed. Trust me, after being used to drive this Jeep, I am complitely spoiled and can NO MORE drive a car (for the car sake).
Attached Thumbnails
The Blue Machine- A 540 converted into my dream machine..-dsc05673.jpg  

The Blue Machine- A 540 converted into my dream machine..-dsc05674.jpg  

Last edited by DesertKing : 14th December 2008 at 10:48.
Old 14th December 2008, 11:20   #41

hey man congraz, nice looking jeep.i like the colour.but u have to work on dashboard.
Old 14th December 2008, 11:46   #42
BHPian

covertable hood

Hi all, I also wanted to share a few photos of covertible hood of the Jeep. Check out the below pic..
Attached Thumbnails
The Blue Machine- A 540 converted into my dream machine..-options-hood.jpg  

Last edited by DesertKing : 14th December 2008 at 11:52. Reason: Convertible
Old 14th December 2008, 12:53   #43
fk7
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all, I also wanted to share a few photos of covertible hood of the Jeep. Check out the below pic..
wow, a fantastic hood, did you get it custom built or buy it? I want one too for my future 550.. Do tell me where to buy it or its specs if it was custom built.

FK
Old 14th December 2008, 13:01   #44
BHPian

Hi Desert,

Nice pics!

BTW If you install an A/C, I don't think that you will get enough cooling effect with that soft top setup. Better you do the a/c for front passengers area only.
Old 14th December 2008, 13:09   #45
Senior - BHPian

Why do i have the feeling that Jodhpuri have the same hood maker.
The Blue Machine- A 540 converted into my dream machine..-hood.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks