Old 16th December 2008, 11:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by obaidhakim View Post
can you please give me more details on the NIOC site
NIOC url NorthernIndiaoffroadclub : Northern India Off Road Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
@Harjeev: Congrats on starting your 'relationship' with the jeep. Like any relationship it will have it's ups and downs and you will need to invest time & energy in this relationship. Just money won't do.

And you know what, this is one of the fastest jeep itch to actual jeep buying stories.
I know! The jeep itch is killing man. I spent about 3 weeks having that itch and during that time any jeep that I saw I would ask the owner if it was available for sale and I wanted to buy it at that instant.
You guys wont believe, but I even started dreaming at nights about owning my own jeep, (this was when I could sleep and not day dreaming about jeeps when awake)

I tried to do all the best I can and now time will tell whether I took a wrong and hurried decision or a right decision. But I have a lot of faith in Poddy (my friend and guide) the owner of the garage and he's very confident. Infact now he is more excited than I am as though he is modifying a MM540 to a Rubicon (look alike) he is more excited about my product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Well Done Harjeev. I think you have made a good decesion. You have seen the 550's in action in the OTRs. They are amazing vehicles. Wish you all the best with your jeep and hope to see you soon at the OTR.
They sure are. Man the thrill and excitement that you get just sitting in one cannot be had in any other vehicle.

See you at the next OTR. Are you in for the one scheduled for this saturday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
I still am in the "pre-aquisition-syndrom".
Do let me know if I can be of any help,
I mighty not be able to make it to mayapuri this weekend as there is an OTR scheduled on saturday. And after that I might go to my garrage.
Why dont you come to the OTR and see the jeeps in action. The url of NIOC is in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
But i must say you have lot of patience and real love for jeeps,o'boy that was some story.

hope to see a Restore thread very soon.keep us posted.
I am happy that you liked the report, I started jotting noted since day one, but I think that it came down too long
Will sure do keep everybody updated on the restoration process.

@akshay4587; phamilyman; SYJ; obaidhakim; khan_sultan; khan_sultan; getsurya; Kandisa; GoSlow; vinayrathore; simply_sunny001; spitfire

Thanks everybody!! Its sure a very nice feeling and the restoration process is amazing. The stuff that you simply learn while going through it cant be learnt when just being handed over the keys at a showroom or any other place. Its a long and slow process. But as they say

Good things come to those who wait

Another thing that I read about jeeps

JEEPS CANNOT BE BOUGHT
THEY MUST BE BUILT

I read the above quote somewhere, but its is so true

Now I wont go on talking and talking
here are the pics

Attached Thumbnails
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2154.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2162.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2160.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2163.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2167.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2168.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2170.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2172.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2173.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2174.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2176.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2177.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2181.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2187.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2203.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2204.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2207.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2208.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2213.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2215.jpg  

Last edited by harjeev : 16th December 2008 at 11:58.
Old 16th December 2008, 12:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hey, Congrats on your Army Spec 550. Let us know once its overhauled and ready for some action. Do post some detailed reviews once you've had a few spins in her.

Safe driving.
Old 16th December 2008, 12:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

CONGRATULATIONS HARJEEV!!

Just a query why didnt you consider buying a new CL 550 major 4wd as originally thought?
Old 16th December 2008, 12:50   #19
BHPian

Harjeev that jeep looks really promising. I will be all eyes on your threads about it and I hope to follow your restoration of this beauty.

Is that steering original or is it a jugaad by the dealer?
Old 16th December 2008, 14:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hey Harjeev,
the jeep is in great body and paint condition for an army disposal. So any tentative design in mind as to how to modify it? And would be eager to see the pics of the rubicon project undergoing in your friend's garage. Miles to go
-Best regards,
Old 16th December 2008, 15:06   #21
BHPian

Hi Harjeev,

So at last you put your hands on one! congrats.

The jeep next to yours also looks nice in body shape

tks/sali
Old 16th December 2008, 15:09   #22
BHPian

Harjeev,

Can you please please post some pics of that Rubicon project of your friends garage. I really wish to c the progress since a plan is growing in my mind too

tks/sali
Old 16th December 2008, 15:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Hey, Congrats on your Army Spec 550. Let us know once its overhauled and ready for some action. Do post some detailed reviews once you've had a few spins in her.

Safe driving.
Will sure do sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
CONGRATULATIONS HARJEEV!!

Just a query why didnt you consider buying a new CL 550 major 4wd as originally thought?
Thanks Vinod
I had written the reason for not buying a CL550 in my first thread. I am reproducing it below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
The next couple of days did a lot of research on the CL550 4x4 Mahindra Major. I really started to like the car, but again to be let down. Sent an email to Poddy with the detail specs and he said

“DO NOT BUY IT!!!!!! WE NEED TO TALK !!!”

He said that this is a city vehicle, runs as taxis and not for serious off-roading and stuff. So again I was confused. I had a very long discussion and talking to Poddy and helped me alot. His reasoning was right, as he said that buying a 5.5 Lac vehicle is not worth it, if it’s simply a hobby, and further it doesn’t have what it takes to be a true off-roader.
He said that I would end up spending about 1-2 lacs more on a new CL550 in the 2 years of ownership due to the breakage and abuse that I would be putting the vehicle thru. He advised me that even if I could spend half that amount on an Army 550 is a much better option. And will come out much better. So after discussing with my Poddy and my brother Harbeer I decided that this makes sense & I would go for a disposal 550.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Harjeev that jeep looks really promising. I will be all eyes on your threads about it and I hope to follow your restoration of this beauty.

Is that steering original or is it a jugaad by the dealer?
Thanks Sumit
I think that the steering is original as many of the Army Jeeps I saw there had the same. I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Hey Harjeev,
the jeep is in great body and paint condition for an army disposal. So any tentative design in mind as to how to modify it?
I am thinking of keeping the design as original as possible and not doing any modifications to the body just as yet.
What I am spending money to make the mechanically perfect. I am doing the complete engine, gearbox, transfer case, front and rear differential overhaul. Would like to change anything that is broken brand new. Also on my list is LSD for the front and Full Floating in the rear, power steering if I can find a new one.

The picture that I have in mind is a rugged Army Spec off-roader and as original as possible.

On this basis and depending how much does all this cost I would then worry about the other cosmetic changes,
Though I have not had a discussion with my cousin as he said that he would first open the engine and all and then we will have a talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
pics of the rubicon project undergoing in your friend's garage. Miles to go
-Best regards,
The pics

The photograph on the lines he is doing the project

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-poddys-workshop-6.jpg
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-poddys-workshop-7.jpg

This is how the pjoject was when I saw it on 5th Dec 2008
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-poddys-workshop-1.jpg
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-poddys-workshop-2.jpg
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-poddys-workshop-4.jpg
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-poddys-workshop-5.jpg

In this pic you can see that he has raised the body frame by a few inches

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-poddys-workshop-8.jpg

This is the progress on this sunday 14/12/2008

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2580.jpg
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2581.jpg
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2582.jpg

He is adding spring suspension instead of leaf springs

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2578.jpg
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2583.jpg

Last edited by harjeev : 16th December 2008 at 15:14.
Old 16th December 2008, 15:56   #24
BHPian

Hi Harjeev,

Nice pics and good work! please keep postings on this work. I hope it will be a superb make over with spring suspension etc...

BTW I think he didn't noticed the difference on the bonnet allignment between a 550 and Rubicon, which I marked with red? or decided to leave it as it is!

What about the body/chassis length? Both Rubycon and 550 has got the same Wheel Base? I think Rubycon has shorter than a 540/550. Am I right?

tks/sali
Attached Thumbnails
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2581.jpg  

Last edited by Salikt : 16th December 2008 at 16:01.
Old 16th December 2008, 16:06   #25
BHPian

You started this thread with a intresting story. Good that your search ended up with a nice product cheers:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
I am doing the complete engine, gearbox, transfer case, front and rear differential overhaul. Would like to change anything that is broken brand new. Also on my list is LSD for the front and Full Floating in the rear, power steering if I can find a new one.
1. Differential Overhaul :: can you please explain this to me as I never heard about it.
2. I would also like to know more about "Full Floating" please.
3. Power Steering :: Thank god, I know what is it . My Jeep has a jugaad power steering, brand- Koyo, Japan. Quite available in Mayapuri. I have driven (correct word- abuse) my vehicle in many diffrent tarrain and never had any issue with power steering. You can for it, I guess it will cost you heardly 5K or so. I highly recomend this.

Side by side, pls keep and watch on the other project of Rubicon and please keep us posted more photos of that too. Hs the new suspension fitted there or not. I bet, the fender must be bought from USA.
Old 16th December 2008, 16:11   #26
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Harjeev, nice pics & great narration, its raining "True Blue" Jeeps on Team BHP! Have fun restoring your new buycheers:

(Do correct the dates in your first post though, I guess you meant 28th & 29th of November?)

Last edited by suman : 16th December 2008 at 16:13.
Old 16th December 2008, 16:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

She(or is it a he??) looks in great shape for an army discard jeep! All the best for the restoration.Are u planning to retain the blackout lamps on the fenders?? Also, are MRF sand grips available off the shelf?? How good are thy on/off the road? They look very very cool!!
Old 16th December 2008, 17:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Oops spring suspension in jeep! If properly done, this surely is going to be one great jeep, quite money intensive project I guess.Nice to know Harjeev that you are going to make your jeep an army spec rugged off-roader.
Old 16th December 2008, 17:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
BTW I think he didn't noticed the difference on the bonnet allignment between a 550 and Rubicon, which I marked with red? or decided to leave it as it is!

What about the body/chassis length? Both Rubycon and 550 has got the same Wheel Base? I think Rubycon has shorter than a 540/550. Am I right?

tks/sali
Hi Salikt,
I think that he is getting a Rubicon look alike and not an exact copy. BTW I forgot to mention I saw almost the similar tyres in is workshop. Forgot to take pics, will do so next time I visit.

Regd the chassis and body length I have no idea,but will ask him and update on the forum whether he is leaving it the same or shortening it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
1. Differential Overhaul :: can you please explain this to me as I never heard about it.
2. I would also like to know more about "Full Floating" please.
3. Power Steering :: Thank god, I know what is it . My Jeep has a jugaad power steering, brand- Koyo, Japan. Quite available in Mayapuri. I have driven (correct word- abuse) my vehicle in many diffrent tarrain and never had any issue with power steering. You can for it, I guess it will cost you heardly 5K or so. I highly recomend this.

Side by side, pls keep and watch on the other project of Rubicon and please keep us posted more photos of that too. Hs the new suspension fitted there or not. I bet, the fender must be bought from USA.
Hi
1.What I mean with differential overhaul is that I want to get all the mechanical parts in the vehicle completely opened up and checked for wear & tear, breakage etc. I honestly myself do not know if there is anything as a differential overhaul, but I have told my cousin that these parts a.Engine, b.Gear Box, c.Transfer Case, d. Differentials (Front & Rear) e. Brake & Clutch system f.All Electrical he should check them thoroughly and replace any parts that are faulty or can turn faulty in the near future. I told him that I would like to keep the vehicle for atleast 10 years or so and I do not want any defect arising in these parts atleast.

2.This post will clear up the Semi Floating and fully floating
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
No, we can not. Images do not easily show it. His choice of the term "drive shaft" was unfortunate as it means the propeller to most whereas what he should have meant was axle, mostly.

I will try again. To float or not to float, that is the question. What is "floating", or not, is the axle.

Imagine your ball point pen is your axle structure. Outside is the plastic housing, inside is the metal ink cartridge. The ink cartridge is the axle and the plastic housing is the axle housing.

If it is floating then the wheel is connected via bearings to the plastic housing, the outside of the pen. The axle housing then bears the weight of the vehicle. If it is semi floating then the wheel is connected to the ink cartridge, the axle, via lugs and the axle rides on bearings AND ALSO SUPPORTS the weight of the vehicle.
Because full floating axles do not have to support the weight of the vehicle they are stronger, usually, and this extra strength gives you a more robust off-roader.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...tml#post875473

3. Will do that. I am actually trying to get a bolero P/S if I can get a less used one from an accident vehicle or so. If not I will definitely be asking a lot of questions on this thread on a lot of issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Congrats Harjeev, nice pics & great narration, its raining "True Blue" Jeeps on Team BHP! Have fun restoring your new buycheers:

(Do correct the dates in your first post though, I guess you meant 28th & 29th of November?)
Thanks a lot suman. I will need all the help I can get my hands on.

(I meant 25th November only. This is the post I made on Randeeps thread on 25/12/2008
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...ml#post1066803)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
She(or is it a he??) looks in great shape for an army discard jeep! All the best for the restoration.Are u planning to retain the blackout lamps on the fenders?? Also, are MRF sand grips available off the shelf?? How good are thy on/off the road? They look very very cool!!
Thanks JayD. The vehicle definitely looks good. Little or no dents.
Yes I am planning to keep the blackout lamps, though I plan to move them on the front bumper.
I dont know about MRF sandgrips but either I might go for Apolo or some other A/T all terrain tyres. and I am planning to retain the army rims. But still I am open to suggestions from experiencd gurus and I am not even a novice here.
Some pics of Apolo Sandgrips I saw in Mayapuri
Attached Thumbnails
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2130.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2131.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2132.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2134.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_2137.jpg  

Old 16th December 2008, 17:53   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev
Also on my list is LSD for the front and Full Floating in the rear,
LSD at the rear. Leave the fronts as it is and think about mods if you feel the front wheels spinning too much off-road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks