Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2009, 19:26   #451
BHPian

Hi Harjeev - Congratulations on getting the second jeep ready.... well it was the first jeep which got ready second

How does it drive? Overheating issues?

Cheers
Ankit
Old 10th May 2009, 20:32   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Aah finally the wait is over! The 550 looks super, Harjeev.

Congratulations on this. Good one!
Thanks Ankit. Yeah the wait's finally over. Thank god for that!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocraze View Post
Hi Harjeev,

The Jeep looks amazing. Hope to see the same in the many OTRs you keep going for.Do you plan to change the tyres? Finally your time and money is well spent and this sure is going to be a very good Jeep indeed.

Regards,

Autocraze
Thanks Buddy
Maybe you should get one too . Do let me know if you need any help. I have this friend Randeep and it was after reading his thread I got the bhoot of army disposals.
Its been an amazing and interesting journey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Congratulations.
Good to see it at this stage
Thanks buddy
Much better looking than that weird green it was before it went to Mayapuri.
Well I'll say that the weird green was very weird. Thank god I changed it.
No front grill, any plans put this on to complete that fauji look ?
Satnam my jeep dint come with a front grille and I am told that its used only in winters. But still I am going to buy one and get it painted in a combination of green and red.
Under your bonet have they used leather for shock absorption ? (its visible on front shot).
Its actually not leather but white foam. I will be painting it green.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Hi. Harjeev congratulations on completeing the project but Iwant to say that in Mumbai Traffic Police list of voilations of traffic rules there is one which says VEHICLE PAINTED IN MILITARY COLOUR.Please check
I know that there is some rule but that's all over india.
Thee thing is that we guys in Delhi NIOC have about 6-7 jeeps in army olive green and none have had any issues so far with the authorities. Many of them are still driving with the army numbers etc. Though I don't agree with that, as even if one is lucky you should not push your luck that far.
Lets hope that I stay lucky too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Niceeeeeeee looks mean. just the tyres need to be changed i guess and am not sure if the same type od tyres are available?
The tyres are available, though not easily. I ordered a set of five 3 months back and will get them this coming week. A set of tyre & tube cost me 4560.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Excellent. Your patience has paid off.
Thanks buddy!!!
Quote:
Hi Harjiv good to see that work on the jeep started immediately, the place of garage is very large there is a old shape Maruti parked behind is it belonging to you?
Nope man, its not mine. Thats old model 800 owned by my cousin.
Quote:
Hi Harjeev it was good to see that you have replaced all the bearings in the gear box [I can see the boxes of the bearings] what about synchronizer rings were they also replaced?
Yeah the syncroniser rings were akso changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Hi Harjeev - Congratulations on getting the second jeep ready.... well it was the first jeep which got ready second

How does it drive? Overheating issues?

Cheers
Ankit
Thanks Ankit. Its driving great. No overheating issues. But as I said there are many small small issues which will have to be resolved over the next couple of month. After that I hope it would be great.
Old 10th May 2009, 22:08   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe you should get one too . Do let me know if you need any help. I have this friend Randeep and it was after reading his thread I got the bhoot of army disposals.
With 3 Jeeps I think you are now a Jeepa wala baba.

Quote:
Satnam my jeep dint come with a front grille and I am told that its used only in winters. But still I am going to buy
Any reason why it is used only in winter ?

Did you get a car type hand brake installed ?
Old 11th May 2009, 01:11   #454
Senior - BHPian

Congrats

Harjeev, Nice to see the finished product. Looks like you are all set for the next OTR.

Could you please (if you dont mind) List the work/mods done in last few months, along with rates.

Please take some snaps with the canvas sides rolled up. Looks like thats possible. Is that regular canvas, painted with the same paint?

Are those SandGrips or Bullets?
Old 11th May 2009, 03:07   #455
BHPian

Your Jeep has come up real nice Harjeev.
That red towing hook in the front is one of a kind and a killer.
In my opinion it is the best feature of the jeep. Any chance of getting one more of these? I would love to have it on mine.

cheers
vishwas
Old 11th May 2009, 12:33   #456
BHPian

Quote:

Any reason why it is used only in winter ?
Hi Bigman,

The reason the mesh grill is only used in winters is so that the engine remains warm in peek winters. The temp should not fall below 80 degrees. This is to also ensure that the vehicle starts easily in cold locals.

Cheers !!!

Autocraze.
Old 11th May 2009, 12:55   #457
fk7
BHPian

Looking good harjeev paaji,

By the way, is there a problem with the front windshield, near the driver?

And what is happening to randeep's 550? any news or updates? post pictures if you have any.

firoz
Old 11th May 2009, 13:45   #458
BHPian

Hi Fk7,

There is nothing wrong with the windscreen, its just that its not been locked with the frame. In one of the pictures you would notice the locking mechanism is pointing upwards, that just show's that the wind screen is open and not in locked position.

Regards,

Autocraze.
Old 11th May 2009, 15:51   #459
Senior - BHPian

Hey Harjeev,
Congrats buddy!! Finally, hez home..
He sure looks handsome.. Really happy for you. The long wait's finally come to a happy end.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 11th May 2009, 16:20   #460
BANNED

Hey Harjeev ! jeep looks superb congratulations !!
Old 11th May 2009, 16:44   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Thanks Ankit. Its driving great. No overheating issues. But as I said there are many small small issues which will have to be resolved over the next couple of month. After that I hope it would be great.
Congratus on compliting your 1st Jeep restoration. Good that you shared your all experience and it is going to be helpful for the newbie who want to restore a Jeep.

From next the ownership experience what I learnt is that small small issue are a bit more challenging to fix and also that they are part of Jeeping.

Quote:

Did you get a car type hand brake installed ?
which of the floor hand brake can be fitted in 540?? how much does a full set cost, Any idea...??
Old 11th May 2009, 17:08   #462
Team-BHP Support

She has come out really well. One doubt though, wont these body color combo cause issues with the authorities, since its no more a defense vehicle?
Old 11th May 2009, 17:19   #463
Senior - BHPian

My responses in BOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Could you please (if you dont mind) List the work/mods done in last few months, along with rates.
Will do it over the weekend. I have it on on pieces of paper. Will have to jot it down.
Please take some snaps with the canvas sides rolled up. Looks like thats possible. Is that regular canvas, painted with the same paint?
Yeah the canvas can be rolled up from the sides. As I double protection, I have zippers as well as velcro on the sides so that on high speeds it does not flap against the wind. although there is no issue with it doing so, the noise is just irritating.
Are those SandGrips or Bullets?
Some of them are sandgrips and some bullets. The new tyres that I ordered have not been delivered as yet. I think that Ill get them tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
Your Jeep has come up real nice Harjeev.
That red towing hook in the front is one of a kind and a killer.
In my opinion it is the best feature of the jeep. Any chance of getting one more of these? I would love to have it on mine.

cheers
vishwas
Thanks Vishwas.
Th front centre tow hook is off a Nissan truck. They are easily available in Mayapuri. I paid 300 rupees for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fk7 View Post
Looking good harjeev paaji,
Thanks firoz.
Autocraze has already answered your question. the clamp was not closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Hey Harjeev,
Congrats buddy!! Finally, hez home..
He sure looks handsome.. Really happy for you. The long wait's finally come to a happy end.
Cheers,
Deepak
Thanks deepek.
Yeah the long wait is finally over and the ownership experience begins.

You know while waiting I had decided I will sell the jeep in the next couple of month. I was simply fed up with the long long wait. But just after driving it for 2 days I have changed my decision. I am now going to keep it. As its not just the money thats involved. I have put in 5 months of my time in this jeep, which no amount of cash can justify.
So the long term ownership begins.

I was driving the 550 on the 3B's battery. So yesterday I have bought a new battery Tata Green 75A 13 plates for the 550. Paid 4k for it and it comes with a 12 months warranty.
Old 11th May 2009, 18:38   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
My responses in BOLD

Th front centre tow hook is off a Nissan truck. They are easily available in Mayapuri. I paid 300 rupees for it.

Yeah the long wait is finally over and the ownership experience begins.

You know while waiting I had decided I will sell the jeep in the next couple of month. I was simply fed up with the long long wait. But just after driving it for 2 days I have changed my decision. I am now going to keep it. As its not just the money thats involved. I have put in 5 months of my time in this jeep, which no amount of cash can justify.
So the long term ownership begins..
Harjeev, Thanks for your response. Looking forward to your jottings and cost splits.

I again wish there is a Mayapuri down south.

5 Months is a long long time to get a vehicle ready. I always wondered at the level of patience you ex-Army 550 rebuilders have. Looks like its paid of. Please do not even consider selling it off, esp after all your time, efforts and pisa gone in.

Final question, Would you really do this all over again?
Old 11th May 2009, 21:19   #465
BHPian

Hey Harjeev,

Great !!!! Congratulations for the jeep. Sorry for late response but the Jeep has rwally come out well.

Tarkesh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks