Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2009, 19:20   #541
BHPian

Harjeev what a Baby you have or should I say Baba. I am dying to do my Jeep in the Green, but i guess its not allowed. How are you managing? No cop trouble?
Old 31st August 2009, 20:57   #542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
Harjeev what a Baby you have or should I say Baba. I am dying to do my Jeep in the Green, but i guess its not allowed. How are you managing? No cop trouble?
You not seen pictures of HArjeev on OTR meets? He dons cammo clothing and everyone thinks he is a army jawan. Hence no bother.
Old 31st August 2009, 21:19   #543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpatra View Post
Dear Behram Sir,
Let me introduce my self . This is srinivas worked as a analyst ( buyer perspective )for auto show ( BBC – wheels ) for 2000-2002.
I have been closely watching this tread for last couple of month. This is very inspiring for 4 X 4s. Can we assume that Kashaysp Sir’s workshop is the place to do the things right in the first attempt. I am sure he is the best person for this type of task.
I am ready to buy a 550 from army auction can go to Kashayp sir’s work shop and do the things roght at one go. Can we do this ? please advise .

Regards
Srinivas
Srinivas dont worry and just hurry to get your vehicle at Sudhir Kashyaps workshop!!! I can't criticise and bang my head enough on the wall for not going to him earlier!!!
BUT PLEASE PLEASE AND PLEASE DO NOT GET IT DONE AT MAYAPURI OR AN UNKNOWN GARRAGE!!!

I might not be very technically sound but have had my share of workshop experiences , I have never felt so much at mentally ease ever in the past!!!

Maybe this place will cost slightly extra and a little more time but the kind of passion and dedication that I have seen Sudhir Kashyap work on the vehicles, believe me I have not seen it anywhere else!!! I think that we guys in Delhi ad NCR should feel lucky to have him here and get the vehicles done under his supervision!!!
At one time I even thought that Ill sell this MM550 off, buy a new one and send it straight to Sudhir Kashyap!!! But I cant keep on spending money like this!!!
But 3-4 years down the line I will definitely buy a 2005 model Mm550 get it done up at M&M and sell this one off!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
Harjeev what a Baby you have or should I say Baba. I am dying to do my Jeep in the Green, but i guess its not allowed. I How are you managing? No cop trouble?
Thanks buddy!!! I am happy that you like the MM550!!! I have names it the RANGER!!!
Rohit me or any of our NIOC buddies never had any issues till now with this green color!!! I mean we guys have been to Chandigarh, Corbett, Hissar and roam around all over Delhi & NCR!!! So I guess till the time Something really serious happens I am not changing my opinion!!! Further M&M Legends actually came in Green Color!!! So even if I have any issues with the authorities ill put some stickers and fogs lamps to meake it look more like the Legend and keep driving it in the current color!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Harjeev and all - this once again proves that - "THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO DO A JOB AND THAT IS THE CORRECT WAY". I would like to state that I am happy that we (Sudhir and I) have been of help to you and that we have "WALKED THE TALK" by actually demonstrating to you that the vehicle now runs better, more fuel efficient, environmentally friendly and customer acceptable.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS - in my mothertongue which is Gujarati, there is a saying - "jena kaam te kare, bija kare to gota khaye", means "whose work it is, he will do it, if somebody else does it, he will falter".

Quote:
Now let me raise the bar and make the next statement - what if I tell you that "NOTHING WILL HAPPEN TO YOUR VEHICLE. YOU WILL JUST ADD FUEL AND DRIVE. THAT'S ALL". How does this sound? Good? We'll see.
Behram sir, if this statement had been made to me a couple of months earlier or by someone else I would have not believed it!!! However now after personally having experienced the kind of service standard and quality there is at the workshop, I can vouch for every work of this statement!!!
Thanks a ton sir!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AarEmm View Post
Thanks a ton for sharing your experience on the work done at SK's workshop and the details of the work done.
Anytime Dude!!! I was at the workshop today so will update the status tomorrow with pictures, but that would be on the CJ3B thread!!!

I am getting my Chevy Optra and the CJ3B painted there!!! The work is going on on the MM550 too, but just mechanical!!!
The CJ3B is where the real action is taking place now!!!
Old 1st September 2009, 12:39   #544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Thanks Somuen!!! I have just a vague idea on the cost part. It should be in the range of 6-7k and I think that its called the RANE's Manual Recirculating Ball Joint steering setup...
Its Soumen actually Thanks for the info and glad to see you finally getting the workshop of your choice. Regarding this steering set up, is this the one that comes in the pick-ups? Also, is the fitting straightforward or you need to do any modifications?
Old 2nd September 2009, 09:47   #545
BHPian

Hi Somen

Do we see you at the next OTR bro? Bring your jeep and play it cool (as in dont thrash it).

Harjeev - I am still waiting on the vehicle exchange you promised me!!

Cheers
Ankit
Old 5th September 2009, 19:44   #546
Senior - BHPian

Update on the RANGER (MM550)

Work on the vehicle is progressing at a slow pace. Basically the only work on the vehicle done up till now is that we have received the alternator back from the service centre after being serviced. The starter motor was not serviced as that was local/ fake one and I decided to buy a new one instead of wasting money on the fake one.

I will be going to the workshop tomorrow and update on status!!!
Old 7th September 2009, 13:34   #547
Senior - BHPian

I was at the workshop yesterday and the new starter motor as arrived and installed in the vehicle. However we are still awaiting for the delivery of the new steering box/ column which is expected to be received in this week.
Old 9th September 2009, 17:10   #548
Senior - BHPian

Hey Harjeev,
Am i seeing it right or something's wrong with the classified section!
Is RANGER up for SALE?
- Deepak
Old 9th September 2009, 18:53   #549
BHPian

+1 to @starter

Harjeev I was shell shocked when I saw the ranger up for sale. But I guess if you are not using it to its full potential some fellow jeeper might so I can understand the sentiments.

I guess my question here would be what do you love more the CJ or the Ranger?

In any case best of luck dude.
Old 10th September 2009, 11:30   #550
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev,
You have put lot of us in shock by putting your Ranger for sale yaar. Anyway you know it better. Iam sure the guy who buys it will be lucky.

I suggest you to keep Ranger and a 3B. Dispose another jeep on which you are yet to work. Sell Ranger only if you think it is a bottomless pit.

with regards

vinod
Old 10th September 2009, 13:20   #551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Hey Harjeev,
Am i seeing it right or something's wrong with the classified section!
Is RANGER up for SALE?
- Deepak
Yep sir!!!
Tthe RANGER is up for grabs ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailee_Jatt_Boy View Post
+1 to @starter

Harjeev I was shell shocked when I saw the ranger up for sale. But I guess if you are not using it to its full potential some fellow jeeper might so I can understand the sentiments.

I guess my question here would be what do you love more the CJ or the Ranger?

In any case best of luck dude.
Thats exactly what my thoughts are.
The vehicle (MM550) is marvelous and I have no issues with it whatsoever. The only thing is that I am not driving it as much as I would like to.
There is one thing that I would miss is I wouldn't have a vehicle for outstation OTR's or I will have to tow my 3B behind some other jeep or something!!! This is the only drawback that I see. Additionally I feel much safer in the MM550 while I am doing obstacles, maybe its the safety of the doors or something, I don't know.

I cannot compare the CJ with the 550. Actually its not final goodbye to the 550. i might buy one in the future when we start getting post 2005 models in the army auction, but that will atleast be 4-5 years later or so!!!
I might buy it and then restore it completely then. who knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Harjeev,
You have put lot of us in shock by putting your Ranger for sale yaar. Anyway you know it better. Iam sure the guy who buys it will be lucky.

I suggest you to keep Ranger and a 3B. Dispose another jeep on which you are yet to work. Sell Ranger only if you think it is a bottomless pit.

with regards

vinod
Vinod thanks for the comments dude!!!
It is not atall a bottomless pit!!! The vehicle is very capable and works flawlessly and all the expense that I have recently incurred on the vehicle, I could have decided against it, but I want my vehicle to be flawless!!!

You see that I have incurred about 30-40K recently
  • Clutch system (this could have been repaired for far less, but I decided against it, as the problem would have again cropped up in the next couple of months approx (6-7k)
  • Alternator (no issues, just got it serviced) (3k)
  • Starter Self 6-7k ( could have easily been repaired, but the lucas guy said that it was local (mayapuri at work again) So I decided to change with brand new)
  • Steering colum 7k (power steering was working ok, only used to leak slightly at OTR's, Otherwise was working perfectly on the road, I changed it)
The above comes to about 24k or something. Plus there are numerous other thing that I did at Sudhir KAshyap's Mahindra Outlet.
Changed all the body mounts, engine & gearbox mounts, brake cylinders, brake system, injectors, heater plugs, all engine oil, gearoil, diffs oil to name a few. And these small small things as everyone knows cost the most!!! Hell yaar I paid 2.5k for the universal steering joints and UJ cross (which again were local thankyou Mayapuri ;-))

I have this think in my mind that I want my vehicle to be as reliable and trustworthy that even if I decide today evening that I was to go to Leh or Mumbai or anywhere for that matter, tomorrow morning by road, apart from refueling and checking the necessary stuff like airpressure, jack, etc I want the vehicle to be capable!!!

Further if I do not get a good price. I am happy to retain the vehicle as I still have a very capable vehicle in my hand and will cherish for a long time to come...

With regards to the LHD
Then also I cannot sell the LHD as if I do I might never be able to lay my hands on something like this again!!! I think that its already a classic (i am not sure) and who know in about 10 years or so might become more rarer and increase in value!!!
Whereas I might still be able to buy a MM550 5-10 years in future???

what do you guys think???
Old 10th September 2009, 14:05   #552
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev,
Since you have put so much of money and effort i suggest you to keep the Ranger. This is my honest opinion, unless you are in need of money. Sell this when you lay your hands on NGCS 550.
Old 10th September 2009, 14:57   #553
BHPian

There are two ways to look at this.

If parking is a problem (like for me),..sell it, if not let it continue being parked.
I know of jeepers at NIOC who claim to have 12 and 80 jeeps respectively.
There is no way on earth even if you attend every OTR organised will you be able to drive all of them in a year.

Yes getting your hand back on 3 big ones is a tantalizing thought but then knowing you I dont think it is the deciding factor in this thought process.

Get a good tarp, (while you are at it get me one too) and secure the vehicle and let it sit tight. Drive it out once in a while and ensure the battery is swapped with the other vehicles in the family to ensure it stays charged.

I get a feeling you are acting on impulse,..be sure you will not regret it.
Old 10th September 2009, 15:11   #554
BHPian

There is a third big reason for holding on to the 550, and that my friend is deep water fording.
You cannot do that with the CJ3B. The vehicle shies away from water due to the ignition coil not being water proof.

You have seen the Flying Laxman submerge his 550 numerous times.
Get a snorkel, a exhaust elevation kit and you have the ultimate amphibious jeep.

By retaining one 550 and one CJ3B you will have the best of both worlds.
The LHD CJ3B will continue appriciating anyway,..way more than money at the Bank at least.

Last edited by Torque-ative : 10th September 2009 at 15:14.
Old 10th September 2009, 15:23   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
By retaining one 550 and one CJ3B you will have the best of both worlds.
The LHD CJ3B will continue appriciating anyway,..way more than money at the Bank at least.
I second that. You can keep a CJ3B and a 550 just like Arka. You can use 550 for OTRs and the 3B for short drives and some mild OTRs. No point in keeping 2 CJ3Bs if you are not getting time to use them properly. I would suggest you to retain your 550 and the RHD 3B now that you have spent your money on them.

If you are perticular about the LHD 3B because of its classic and heritage value, then you can sell off your RHD 3B and go ahead with the restoration of the LHD.

Most Viewed