Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2009, 15:29   #556
Senior - BHPian

I just saw your Jeep in the classifieds section, Why let go of such a beauty?
Old 10th September 2009, 19:43   #557
BHPian

Don't know about you dude ,,,I for one am unable to comprehend this move !! I guess I will always think from the friggin heart !! You on for Saturday,..let make those Bullets work its way up all their A*@es !!!
Old 10th September 2009, 20:37   #558
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. Its really great to know that so many fellow bhpians care about my RANGER!!!

I will get the RANGER back home tomorrow and attend the OTR with it. This will definitely give me different perspective to think about the whole thing.
@Naveen thanks for you call. I really needed that help with my thoughts. I owe you a big one buddy!!! And yes I am definitely game for saturday!!!

Status Update
Just came back from the workshop and the work on the steering box will commence next week. They are expecting the steering box in a couple of days.
Old 10th September 2009, 23:53   #559
Senior - BHPian

Good luck with the sale if thats what you decide to do after the OTR.

This has been one of the best threads in the 4x4 section and kept up-to- date on a regular basis.

Heres hoping you do a similar thread for the last of your current Jeeps when you get that restored.
Old 11th September 2009, 08:10   #560
BHPian

Its going to be a super swampy OTR. You will need every inch and studd on those bullets for traction. That snorkel job from Raj is due before the monsoons end.
Also may I advise you not to think of every vehicle in your stable as a daily driver. Meaning that, yes they need to be reliable but don't make it an obssesion. This was you would swap change parts that need changing. If you can live with a small gripe do so,..as you will probably be using this vehicle once manybe twice in a month. That way you will not end up doling out more and more money to make it better than a stock vehicle. So in summary, yes your passion in thurough restoration is commendable but it should'nt wear you out to the point that you might want to call it quits. Slow and steady my friend. We both joined NIOC together and it is only now after an entire year do I own my first jeep, and you already have three. So go easy on yourself buddy, there is time to relax, step back and behold what you have done. Enjoy it before you sell it.
Old 11th September 2009, 09:11   #561
BHPian

Hi Harjeev - I agree with Naveen. Sleep over it for a while.

You know that we have had chats about me selling the Gypsy and getting something else. I think once you have a perfectly working vehicle you tend to look for a new project. So I know where you are coming from. But I know in reality I will never get anything better than my Gypsy cuz it is Diesel so I can do out station OTRs, drive it daily, throw it in water, and it is as reliable as a orignal petrol gypsy. I have worked out all the small problems over last one year and now it runs perfectly.

Your 550 is the best one in our group and the most reliable as well. Keep it for a while before you sell it buddy. Naveen has spoken wise owrds here.

Cheers
Ankit
Old 11th September 2009, 11:32   #562
BHPian

Laxmans 550 the ultimate prepared amphibious jeep

Hey all,

These images are courtesy fellow jeeper Ashish Bhatia.
I am using these to illustrate the extent of fording possible with the 550.
In-fact there were more instances where the entire tub was submerged and it still managed to make it thru. Sheer Guts,...sure but the machine was supremely capable too .
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-laxman-1.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-laxman-2.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-laxman-3.jpg  

Old 11th September 2009, 13:27   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Good luck with the sale if thats what you decide to do after the OTR.

This has been one of the best threads in the 4x4 section and kept up-to- date on a regular basis.

Heres hoping you do a similar thread for the last of your current Jeeps when you get that restored.
Thanks a lot Satnam!!!
I will try to do my best to do the thread for the LHD WILLYS as well. But if I decide not to sell my MM550 and/or fail to get a good price the LHD thread will have to wait some more time!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
Its going to be a super swampy OTR. You will need every inch and studd on those bullets for traction. That snorkel job from Raj is due before the monsoons end.
Also may I advise you not to think of every vehicle in your stable as a daily driver. Meaning that, yes they need to be reliable but don't make it an obssesion. This was you would swap change parts that need changing. If you can live with a small gripe do so,..as you will probably be using this vehicle once manybe twice in a month. That way you will not end up doling out more and more money to make it better than a stock vehicle. So in summary, yes your passion in thurough restoration is commendable but it should'nt wear you out to the point that you might want to call it quits. Slow and steady my friend. We both joined NIOC together and it is only now after an entire year do I own my first jeep, and you already have three. So go easy on yourself buddy, there is time to relax, step back and behold what you have done. Enjoy it before you sell it.
I agree buddy!!! Will take it just like that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Hi Harjeev - I agree with Naveen. Sleep over it for a while.

You know that we have had chats about me selling the Gypsy and getting something else. I think once you have a perfectly working vehicle you tend to look for a new project. So I know where you are coming from. But I know in reality I will never get anything better than my Gypsy cuz it is Diesel so I can do out station OTRs, drive it daily, throw it in water, and it is as reliable as a orignal petrol gypsy. I have worked out all the small problems over last one year and now it runs perfectly.

Your 550 is the best one in our group and the most reliable as well. Keep it for a while before you sell it buddy. Naveen has spoken wise owrds here.

Cheers
Ankit
I remember Ankit. I clearly remember as at that time I was in Nainital and I was the one who stressed that you should not sell it. And I think that it was a wise decision.

@Naveen
The pictures are amazing and I can veryt well judge that pictures don't do justice to what we guys do at OTR's!!! It would have been one terrific OTR!!! Hats off to Laxman for putting his 550 through this!!!

Status Update
Theres good news and there's Bad news

The good news is that the work on the steering has started and should be over soon.

The bad is I wont have the RANGER for tomorrows OTR.

Last edited by harjeev : 11th September 2009 at 13:29.
Old 11th September 2009, 16:05   #564
Senior - BHPian

Tue Water Fording preparedness

Quote:
Hey all,

These images are courtesy fellow jeeper Ashish Bhatia.
I am using these to illustrate the extent of fording possible with the 550.
In-fact there were more instances where the entire tub was submerged and it still managed to make it thru. Sheer Guts,...sure but the machine was supremely capable too .
Cheers
Torque-ative
What alse apart from Snorkel fitment was done on Laxmans jeep which makes a worry free water fording experience?

1. How did he protect his starter motor?
2. Alternator?
3. How did he prevent water splashing all over the engine bay as fan was running?
4. How did he prevent water getting into flywheel chamber? protector plates are not water tight.

5. How did he cover all his electricals?
6. How long are his differential breathers?

I strongly feel only snorkel is not enough to prevent damage from water and make it amphibious. By what you said i feel it was more to do with guts than true preparation of jeep for water fording as illustrated. I have seen this Video on you tube, looks spectacular!
Old 13th September 2009, 11:31   #565
BHPian

Hey Vinod you right about all points on prepping a true amphibious jeep. However none of those things have been done on Laxmans jeep. The uncanny part is that this was'nt a one time deal either where he got lucky he has done it again and yet again with same results. Not once has he stalled while fording. Stuck in slush where he was winched out ?!! Multiple times, but never once stuck due to engine stalling on him even while submerging the jeep till the wind shield ?? Any clue why that might be ??
Old 14th September 2009, 12:14   #566
Senior - BHPian

Sheer guts and Luck

Quote:
Hey Vinod you right about all points on prepping a true amphibious jeep. However none of those things have been done on Laxmans jeep. The uncanny part is that this was'nt a one time deal either where he got lucky he has done it again and yet again with same results. Not once has he stalled while fording. Stuck in slush where he was winched out ?!! Multiple times, but never once stuck due to engine stalling on him even while submerging the jeep till the wind shield ?? Any clue why that might be ??
The reason why he could do it again and again was the underfoot conditions were hard enough that he did it again and again without getting stuck. Further, check with him, he must be having problems with alternator and starter motor in future. If this was a clayey water then problem aggrevates. If his breathers are not tall, water would have gone inside the differentials for sure, ditto with gear box. Since snorkel was fitted only thing uneffected would have been air filter!

@Harjeev- I see the jeep has been sold as updated in classified section! Did you sell it? Anyway must have been a well thought decision

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 14th September 2009 at 12:16.
Old 14th September 2009, 16:46   #567
BHPian

Sold Yeah,..to the original Owner ! Good decision buddy!! Use it well before you sell bud !!
Old 15th September 2009, 10:14   #568
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys
Naveen is right!!!
the vehicle has been sold!!!
But to the owner itself!!!

You all see I have these (for the better word) pangs to sell off the vehicle and then buy another one, but now I think that I will really use I mean use this vehicle for the next couple of years & then when the post 2005 models start coming in the market, then maybe sell it off and buy the new MM550!!!
This is the plan for now...

However I am adamant on the price and if someone is willing to offer me the price I am asking for, I am not going to shy away from giving it off!!!
The vehicle is still available for sale on carwale(dot)com
Old 15th September 2009, 11:59   #569
BANNED

Hi Harjeev,

I guess you just restored your MM550 and why are you selling it off
Old 30th September 2009, 19:16   #570
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys
Been a long time since I updated my thread!!!
I was off for a vacation and before that I was busy with office work that I had to clear before the vacation!!!

Anyway some members that I've talked to or am in contact with (offline) had the impression that I have sold off the RANGER

To clear all doubts the RANGER is still with me and I have not sold it off!!! However it is still for sale on www (dot) carwale (dot) com. I have simply removed the advert from our classified section!!!

The vehicle is still in the workshop. However I was to get the delivery yesterday and visited the workshop to take delivery, however when the vehicle was taken out for a testdrive (as a practice they do that before delivery) the vehicle ran perfectly. When they brought it back they noticed drops of oil leakage from the gearbox/ transfer case. So when I reached the workshop the vehicle was already on the lift and the problem identified as an oil seal leak of the transfer case! I think the part that connects the rear propeller shaft to the transfer case!!!
This is the benefit that one gets when the vehicle is in the hands of a passionate guy like Sudhir Kashyap! Tiny tiny bit and small issues are taken care off on their own!!! This was an issue earlier but I simply forgot about it!!!

Apart from this I will update tomorrow on the parts that have been changed/ serviced!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks