Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2009, 20:30   #571
BHPian

Harjeev, I beg you not to sell the ranger. Keep, him for 6 months and you will surely feel an attachment to him and in the meanwhile, I am sure you will be able to find and sort out each and every niggling problem with the Jeep. At least you should give him some time to prove himself !
Old 2nd October 2009, 00:51   #572
BHPian

hey Harjeev

Just finished reading your thread. When I spoke to you this afternoon still had 19 more pages!!! Thanks a lot for taking time to talk tome. I too feel after restoring the Ranger with such passion you should keep it. anyway its your call. Do send me the pics of the axle you were talking of, no hurry whenever you have time.

cheers
Nishanth
Old 11th October 2009, 09:06   #573
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ashley & Nishanth,
I am in no urgency to sell this vehicle but YES if anyone is willing to appreciate the time & money that I have spent and devoted into this vehicle, I will definitely consider parting with the RANGER, but NEVER EVER is it going to be a desperate sale.

UPDATE

• Got the vehicle from the workshop on thursday and all the parts that I had mentioned were replaced. I will be uploading the pictures and a scanned copy of the invoice for reference!!! Total Damage 22,478.00
  • Parts 17.6K (2k VAT) & Labor 4.8K
Took the vehicle for the OTR on October 2nd and certain issues cropped up and had to send the Ranger to the workshop. Nothing major but not minor either
  • The power steering was removed and after I did the OTR the new steering became quite vague. I mean there was a lot of play when I was rotating the steering wheel. The problem was diagioned as a loose universal joint which had slipped and had caused the splines on the steering rod to wear off.
  • The electrical were giving me some issues. Like when I was switching on the parking lights or the head lights the meters all used to start giving wierd readings. This was identified as earthing somewhere in the vehicle. Now Fixed
  • The was oil dripping from the speedometer!!! Yes oil. Was later identified as gearbox oil. I do not know what the problem was it has been solved. 2 of my speedometer have gone kaput now, so I guess that the problem should not crop up again. The oil was traveling from the wire that goes from the gearbox to the meter!!!
  • I have also removed the lockable hubs. Reason being I do not use the vehicle as a daily driver and the FE a couple of kms more or less does not really matter.
Old 11th October 2009, 18:37   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post

UPDATE

• Got the vehicle from the workshop on thursday and all the parts that I had mentioned were replaced. I will be uploading the pictures and a scanned copy of the invoice for reference!!! Total Damage 22,478.00
  • I have also removed the lockable hubs. Reason being I do not use the vehicle as a daily driver and the FE a couple of kms more or less does not really matter.
Harjeev,
Why did you remove free wheeling hubs? Didnt make sence to me when you already had them on your vehicle. Did Sudhir Kashyap adivise you to remove it? and why? I personally dont see any damage in keeping them atleast as long as they are working fine.

Rs 22478, is quite some money..i wouldnt call it a damage, would rather call it a investment.

My advise yourjeep is almost up there, dont spend more, just keep running it! Spend money only on most essential items/possible breakdown related parts only
Old 24th October 2009, 08:38   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Harjeev,
Why did you remove free wheeling hubs? Didnt make sence to me when you already had them on your vehicle. Did Sudhir Kashyap adivise you to remove it? and why? I personally dont see any damage in keeping them atleast as long as they are working fine.
Hi Vinod
Sorry for the late reply!!! Got busy in the Diwali obligations, shopping etc!!!
Buddy I removed the lockable hubs as I use the vehicle only for OTR and not a daily driver. So a couple of km's of FE more or less doesn't really matter that much. Second I thought and Sudhir also suggested me that as the army is also not using them any more on their vehicles, so its ok to remove them!!!

Quote:
Rs 22478, is quite some money..i wouldnt call it a damage, would rather call it a investment.

My advise yourjeep is almost up there, dont spend more, just keep running it! Spend money only on most essential items/possible breakdown related parts only
I am enclosing a scanned copy of the invoice of the repair bill!!!
As can be judged from the bill that 17.6K are material parts, 2.9k is Alternator service and 2k is labor out of which 1k is for the painting for the front grille!!!
Copy of the Bill
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-invoice-mm550-october-2009-pb47b-9432.jpg

UPDATE

I bought a set of Innova seats for the RANGER. This will really increase the comfort level for long distance drives and also for OTR,
However when I sell the RANGER I plan to remove them and maybe install them on the CJ3B!!!

Last edited by harjeev : 24th October 2009 at 08:41.
Old 24th October 2009, 09:30   #576
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys some pictures of the WIP at the workshop

Alternator Service after overhaul
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-alternator-after-service.jpg

Direction of the Air intake pipe changed
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-direction-air-intake-pipe-changed-img_9773.jpg

Front grille removed for closing holes after powersteering was removed
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-powersteering-removed-11092009-45303-pm.jpg

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-front-grille-remover-closing-holes.jpg

Grille being repaired

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-front-grille-being-repaired.jpg

New Self Starter Motor
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-new-self-starter-11092009-45409-pm.jpg
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-new-self-starter-another-shot-11092009-165426.jpg

Steering work in progress

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-mm550-steering-work-progress-bell-crank-another-pic-11092009-45340-pm.jpg

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-mm550-steering-work-progress-bellcrank-11092009-45326-pm.jpg

The universal joint was loose hense the splines on the steering column wore out creating play in the steering. Emergency repair was carried out and then the joint was welded so that the vehicle could be driven back to the workshop
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-emergency-repair.jpgHarjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-universal-joint-welded-steering-assemble-02102009-140856.jpgHarjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-universal-joint-welded-steering-assemble-02102009-140932.jpgHarjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_1051.jpg
Old 26th October 2009, 09:54   #577
Senior - BHPian

Good choice harjeev to go for the innova seats. As i 've already told I have them in the jeep from the beginning and these are simple but really good. I guess couple of more people are also following the same trend in their jeeps now.
-regards,

Last edited by Kandisa : 26th October 2009 at 09:55. Reason: spell check
Old 27th October 2009, 10:02   #578
BHPian

Hi Harjeev

I think it is time that I swap your 550 for my Gypsy for a week, what do you say?

Cheers
Ankit
Old 27th October 2009, 13:22   #579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Good choice harjeev to go for the innova seats. As i 've already told I have them in the jeep from the beginning and these are simple but really good. I guess couple of more people are also following the same trend in their jeeps now.
-regards,
Thanks Somuen
I am sorry I think I always get your spelling wrong!!!
But yes you are right these seats are damm comfortable!!! I have not installed in my jeep as yet, as the workshop takes a day to do it. I send the jeep tomorrow, but in Amit's 540 the seats have been installed and I say on them!!!
Well I can say the seats in my Safari are nothing compared to Innova seats!!! And for the price outstanding!!!
I am on the lookout for comfortable seats for my CJ3B!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Hi Harjeev

I think it is time that I swap your 550 for my Gypsy for a week, what do you say?

Cheers
Ankit
Sure buddy I clearly remember, but youo see the last 3-4 months the jeep has been more in the workshop than in my possession, so let me enjoy it for some time!!! Whats say!!!
Infact you know I too am on the lookout for a MPFI Gypsy, but will most likely buy a new one next year!!!
No disposals and 2nd hand prices are simply through the roof!!! What I think is the its better to buy a brand new Gypsy for 5.4L than go for 2nd hand 2004 or 2005 for 3-3.5L!!! Or another thought comes to mind is buy a rundown delhi registered 1.0 carb and convert that to a 1.6 Gypsy!!!

Thats exactly what Ill do, but later next year, maybe in time for Desert storm 2011 or so Raid 2011!!! Long term project.
Old 27th October 2009, 14:09   #580
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev,

Nice to see your vehicle is coming up in good shape. Just one small observation why is the vehicle so dirty? Dont they clean it before working on it?

Run the baby buddy. Its been enough that it has been in workshop. Get her out to where it deserves!
Old 27th October 2009, 14:37   #581
Senior - BHPian

@Vinod
Hi buddy
If you are referring to the 2nd pic, I took it just after the OTR!!!
Old 2nd November 2009, 23:29   #582
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys
I finally got to test the Innova seats on the RANGER!!!
And the verdict is "WHY THE HECK DIN'T I DO THIS EARLIER"
The ride has become so comfortable that I am actually thinking to install them in my Safari too!!!
I went for the OTR this sunday and the OTR was a breeze, Never been so comfortable during an entire off-road session!!!

These are the status of the seats as I bought them!!! I have not even got them drycleaned or anything!!!

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-innova-seats-mm550-02112009-144833.jpg

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-innova-seats-mm550-02112009-171248.jpg

Picture of the RANGER negotiate a decline!!!
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_0838.jpg
Old 3rd November 2009, 15:12   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hi guys
I finally got to test the Innova seats on the RANGER!!!
Hi Harjeev,

Very neet and clean one! How much they cost you?

Sali
Old 3rd November 2009, 15:21   #584
BHPian

Innova Seats

Is it just the pics, or has the space between the two seats reduced? They seem to be very close to each other. Also, is the gear lever causing any problem in terms of touching the seats (spl in Reverse) .

Last edited by testdrive : 3rd November 2009 at 15:22.
Old 27th November 2009, 13:15   #585
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the late reply buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
Hi Harjeev,

Very neet and clean one! How much they cost you?

Sali
Quote:
Originally Posted by testdrive View Post
Is it just the pics, or has the space between the two seats reduced? They seem to be very close to each other. Also, is the gear lever causing any problem in terms of touching the seats (spl in Reverse) .
Thanks. I paid 6.5k for the pair and yes they are quite clean!!! I think that they had arrived just the day I picked them or maybe a day before!!!

Preet, yes the gear lever touches the seat a little but only in reverse!!! But considering the comfort the seats provide, I am ok with a little hindrance!!!
Other than that there are no issues!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks