Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2009, 17:39   #586
BHPian

Harjeev, how come you have not updated the Cj3b thread with the pics of the newly painted jeep yet ??!!
Old 27th November 2009, 21:18   #587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
Harjeev, how come you have not updated the Cj3b thread with the pics of the newly painted jeep yet ??!!
Sheer Laziness my friend!!! But the work is piling on and I haven't updated the blog too since a long time! I will do that tomorrow or on Sunday after the OTR!!!
BTW I am eagerly waiting for this OTR!! Want to see and ride your jeep in person!!!
Old 5th December 2009, 23:42   #588
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys
I dint get the time to update this thread for sometime!
The RANGER has been to a couple of OTR's and I will update the pics later today or tomorrow. Other than that I have been successful to get a couple of issues resolved. Nothing major, but as and when I keep on using the vehicle small small niggles keep cropping up, which have to be attended to.

The first and the foremost is that the steering column has started acting up again. I dont know what is the issue, but I have been to the workshop 3 thrice but of no avail. The steering has play of atleast 4 inches both sides. Additionally the oil starts to leak from the steering box after driving it around for 40-50 kms. . The oil seal has been changed thrice, but of no avail :-((( Tthe steering box along with the steering assembly was bought brand new by me, but still I am not happy even after spending 6-7 grands.

Apart from this the oil pressure light on the instrument panel glows when I start the vehicle in the morning and remains so for a long time. Later after I drive it around for 20-30 kms up it goes away but keeps blinking occacionally. However the oil pressure meter reading remains around 2 after initially (on cold start) starting around 2.5-3. This has first occurred about a month back after I was returning from an OTR. Therefore as advised by Sudhir I had bought 2 liters of engine oil and filled the oil chamber with it. But the problem remained. So as a remedy the oil pressure switch was changed but still the problem remains. Also as a result of adding 2 liters of oil the oil is much more than the required marking. Please advice what are the pro's and cons of this

The front left main bearing and the kingpin bearing were changed. Apparently these were never replaced earlier. Before the bearings were changed I had this specific problem that the steering wheel used to shudder/ rotate with force slightly left and right when passing through pot holes etc. After the bearings were changed this problem went away. But after the previous OTR it has re-surfaced.

The front left shock absorber was replaced, the old one had developed a leak. Further after I removed the power steering the Stabilizer rod or the jumping rod (I am not sure of the technical term) was added along with new rubber bush/ packings.

Here are the pictures of the WIP
Attached Thumbnails
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_0844.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_0847.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_0848.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_0849.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_0873.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_0874.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_0970.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_0977.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_0979.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_0982.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_0983.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_0984.jpg  

Old 6th December 2009, 12:44   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Apart from this the oil pressure light on the instrument panel glows when I start the vehicle in the morning and remains so for a long time. Later after I drive it around for 20-30 kms up it goes away but keeps blinking occasionally. However the oil pressure meter reading remains around 2 after initially (on cold start) starting around 2.5-3. This has first occurred about a month back after I was returning from an OTR. Therefore as advised by Sudhir I had bought 2 liters of engine oil and filled the oil chamber with it. But the problem remained. So as a remedy the oil pressure switch was changed but still the problem remains. Also as a result of adding 2 liters of oil the oil is much more than the required marking. Please advice what are the pro's and cons of this
Dear Harjeev,

This is an Alarming symptom. Trust me, this has nothing to do with your oil pressure switch. Your crank shaft has 2 Bearings, connecting bearing and main bearing. If your main bearing is loose, there wont be enough oil Prussian. Or it could be a faulty Oil pump as well. But 99.99% chances are with Crankshaft main bearing. This is a typical symptom of End Of Life for an engine, and a sign of overhaul time. But, since your engine is recently re-built, it could be just that bearing became loose. And No Way you will have 2-3 Oil pressure on a newly built Engine, it should be More than 4. Sadly if you need to sort out any of these problems, once more you need to open your engine. Once you sort this out, your oil pressure will start showing more than 4 :-( Please PM me your number i will call you this evening.

PS: That rod is called "Anti Sway Bar" or "Stabilizer Bar"

Thanks
--Sree--

Last edited by sreerajunnithan : 6th December 2009 at 12:50.
Old 6th December 2009, 21:43   #590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
...This is an Alarming symptom. ....
Harjeev - The engine is the only thing not touched by SudhirJi's place right? The only rebuilt it underwent was @ somewhere near Delhi right?
Old 6th December 2009, 22:15   #591
Senior - BHPian

@sreerajunnithan
@svsantosh

i doubt that there's something wrong with the engine as I have got the vehicle personally inspected by Sudhir Kashyap. He says that the engine is in a very good condition and does not need an overhaul and further with regards to the oil pressure gauge, Sudhir says that as long as its above 2 its fine and acceptable.
Old 6th December 2009, 22:24   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Sudhir says that as long as its above 2 its fine and acceptable.
It is ok, BUT not for newly built engine. swastikviji got his engine replaced, ask him what is the Oil Prussure reading he has.

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 7th December 2009, 13:45   #593
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev,
I think all the steering issues are due to the heavy rims and tyre combination. Check this with sidhir kashyap. he will change those things under part warranty but get rid of those tims. They are source of all problems.

Engine i have no clue, it could be as simple as faulty oil preassure switch. My indica had the same problem when dlivered new!
Old 7th December 2009, 14:15   #594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys
Apart from this the oil pressure light on the instrument panel glows when I start the vehicle in the morning and remains so for a long time. Later after I drive it around for 20-30 kms up it goes away but keeps blinking occacionally. However the oil pressure meter reading remains around 2 after initially (on cold start) starting around 2.5-3. This has first occurred about a month back after I was returning from an OTR. Therefore as advised by Sudhir I had bought 2 liters of engine oil and filled the oil chamber with it. But the problem remained. So as a remedy the oil pressure switch was changed but still the problem remains. Also as a result of adding 2 liters of oil the oil is much more than the required marking. Please advice what are the pro's and cons of this
Hi,
Is the oil pressure gauge tap off point the same as that of the switch, ie. are the two registering the same pressure? If not, an oil gallery somewhere might be choked.

Experts will be better able to guide you, but the very early XDPs had the oil pressure switch built into the filter housing. It was rigged up so that a blocked filter (high differential pressure across filter) would also cause the light to come on. Till the oil warmed up and thinned out, it would cause the oil warning light to come on, esp. if the engine was revved. I don't know if the XD3s ever had such a system.

Overfilling with oil not recommended. Will cause frothing.

Excessive oil pressure normally means relief valve not properly set.
Low oil pressure = major problem (true)
does not translate to
Very high oil pressure = Fantastic engine.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 16th January 2010, 09:54   #595
BHPian

Quote:
  • I have also removed the lockable hubs. Reason being I do not use the vehicle as a daily driver and the FE a couple of kms more or less does not really matter.
Hey Harjeev.... Whats the update on the 550

Hey Do you still have the loclable hubs ? One of my locks is slipped if you not going to use em and want to sell them of let me know ill have some one pick them up from your place. Thanks
Old 16th January 2010, 14:12   #596
Senior - BHPian

I do have them but I am using them on my 3B!!!
Apparently the FWH are widely available and new ones should be about 3k!!! So when the saving is not much my advise is to buy new LAMBDA FWH's!!!
Old 17th January 2010, 22:47   #597
BHPian

Quote:
I do have them but I am using them on my 3B!!!
Apparently the FWH are widely available and new ones should be about 3k!!! So when the saving is not much my advise is to buy new LAMBDA FWH's!!!

Cool,
here in bbay they are priced at 4000 for a set
Old 20th January 2010, 13:44   #598
BHPian

Quote:
I finally got to test the Innova seats on the RANGER!!!
These are the status of the seats as I bought them!!! I have not even got them drycleaned or anything!!!

Apprehension is that its awesome comfort you are getting . Correct me if I am wrong .Could you please share the costs involved for the seats / fittment .
Old 20th January 2010, 19:39   #599
BHPian

Quote:
And No Way you will have 2-3 Oil pressure on a newly built Engine, it should be More than 4. Sadly if you need to sort out any of these problems, once more you need to open your engine. Once you sort this out, your oil pressure will start showing more than 4 PS: That rod is called "Anti Sway Bar" or "Stabilizer Bar"
I have heard and seen what you said regarding oil pressure guage showing more than 4 on engines, especially that of Ambassodors, in good condition. But in Jeeps with DI engines, the oil pressure level even for brand new engines shown by the guage is invariably between 2-3( I am sure of this from experience). But since the Peugeot is an IDI engine, i am not sure if such a reading is normal.

Quote:
Additionally the oil starts to leak from the steering box after driving it around for 40-50 kms. The oil seal has been changed thrice, but of no avail

Harjeev, this is a typical problem of all Jeep steering boxes. When I faced the similiar problem, my mechanic advised me to fill the steering box with All Purpose grease instead of oil.(He asserted that changing the oil seal is of no use). I don't know whether this alternative is technichally right but I did as he said and even after 25000kms, there is absolutely no leak or any other problem with the steering box and the steering is as smooth as that in oil bath.
Old 20th January 2010, 20:18   #600
Senior - BHPian

It is unacceptable of anyone suggesting to add 2 whole litres of engine oil over the full sump capacity.
Your crank is probably churning a froth off the extremely high engine oil level.
Drain the excess oil immediately before attempting to solve the problem which I think is a faulty oil pump.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks