Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 17:17   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
If it belongs to a team-bhpian by any chance, we could get more details.
Attachment 80602
I bet it does not below to any Team-BHPian. All BHPian grow very fast and they understand well soon that it of no use to fit HT tyres on a Jeep.
Old 18th December 2008, 17:51   #62
BHPian

Hi Harjeev,
The best part about your jeep is the history.
It is a class V jeep and hence it is free of any major accidents. Secondly, the jeep has been used by service corps(not by fighting arms) and hence it has undergone very less abuse. One can deduce that it will have less wobbling compared to others standing besides it.
The four wheel drive would have seldom been used. Better to have it checked for functionality,if not done so far.
The tailgate would have been rattling/cracked. That would need immidiate attention if not already fixed before its' auction while it was in service.
Old 18th December 2008, 18:04   #63
BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking of keeping the design as original as possible and not doing any modifications to the body just as yet.

What I am spending money to make the mechanically perfect. I am doing the complete engine, gearbox, transfer case, front and rear differential overhaul. Would like to change anything that is broken brand new. Also on my list is LSD for the front and Full Floating in the rear, power steering if I can find a new one.

The picture that I have in mind is a rugged Army Spec off-roader and as original as possible.

On this basis and depending how much does all this cost I would then worry about the other cosmetic changes.
Hi Harjeev,

Congrats on getting a 550. Its a lovely JEEP which would be a wonderful daily drive & an awesome off-road machinery. If you have not opened up the engine, I would suggest you not to do so at this point. Get the JEEP washed and Oils changed, use it for some weeks and do the work as and when time progresses. The more you drive your JEEP, you will get to know more of its shortcomings and you can prioretize work done accordingly.

As you said correctly, cosmetic mods can be done much later, the highest priority should be to get the JEEP mechanically perfect.

All the best for your restoration . I would be glued to this thread.
Old 18th December 2008, 18:24   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Hi Harjeev,
It is a class V jeep and hence it is free of any major accidents. Secondly, the jeep has been used by service corps(not by fighting arms) and hence it has undergone very less abuse. One can deduce that it will have less wobbling compared to others standing besides it.
The four wheel drive would have seldom been used. Better to have it checked for functionality,if not done so far.
The tailgate would have been rattling/cracked. That would need immidiate attention if not already fixed before its' auction while it was in service.
Major Saab nice to see you after a long time. hope things are alright at your end.

cheers:
Old 18th December 2008, 19:17   #65
Senior - BHPian

ya my thoughts too.

Nice to see you back Major and aptly so in Jeep thread.

Where have you been ?
Old 18th December 2008, 19:20   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Hi Harjeev,
Thanks susan,
It really feels good that the vehicle Ive bought has a good history.
The tailgate works perfectly almost like new. Must have been fixed before the auction then! Thanks for the info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
Hi Harjeev,

Congrats on getting a 550. Its a lovely JEEP which would be a wonderful daily drive & an awesome off-road machinery. If you have not opened up the engine, I would suggest you not to do so at this point. Get the JEEP washed and Oils changed, use it for some weeks and do the work as and when time progresses. The more you drive your JEEP, you will get to know more of its shortcomings and you can prioretize work done accordingly
Thanks Sabareesh,
I have already told the workshop guys to do the entire overhaul and they might have opened up the engine by now. I will go there on saturday and report with pics.
The reason I want to do the complete overhaul is that my plan is too keep the jeep for atleast 10 years if not more and initially I want to eliminate all doubts/ problems that I can and want it to be a very reliable and trustworthy vehicle.
In future, I do not want to run to the workshop every now and then for a problem which I know could have been fixed earlier.
But after all I also know that it is a 8-9 year old machine and problems are bound to come up, but atleast if there is something that I can eliminate at present it might not crop up in future & I will have one less thing to worry about. this gives me more peace of mind.

Quote:
cosmetic mods can be done much later, the highest priority should be to get the JEEP mechanically perfect.
Exactly! This is my plan. I have 10+ years for the cosmetics..
So I have lots of time and will take them slowly and gradually.

Last edited by harjeev : 18th December 2008 at 19:23.
Old 19th December 2008, 12:34   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I have not found a single army disposal in the last 12 months. I met few sellers in the past months, but all of them had already spend some bucks on some modification or other, so asking price was steep. I dont want to take a half modified jeep for that cost and crush them back to basics and start my work all over. Its not worth the money and time.
Hi Shajufx

Someone is selling his 550 4x4 in Bangalore. It has been advertised to Jeep Thrills yahoo group. Will PM you his contact details as this is a public forum. He is asking for 2.15 lacs. The extract from the email is as follows:

Hi fellow Jeepers

I bought an MM 550 XDB 4WD two months ago and now wish to sell it since I bought a 1964 Willys that I intend to make my daily driver in addition to my Bolero. I have already done a lot of work on the steering. Front wheel and kingpin bearings have been changed. Steering tie rod ends and all star joints have been replaced. 4 wheel drive is in proper working condition. Thermofoam has been used to reduce engine noise and provide better thermal insulation in the drivers cabin. Thanks to the company fitted disc brakes the braking is superb and the engine is in excellent condition.
Make: MM550 XDB
Model: 1998 November
Engine: 2.5 liter XD3P
No of Owners: I am the second owner
Insurance: 3rd Party
Reason for Sale: Have two jeeps already, running out of parking space.
Features: Front disc brakes with booster
Gears: 5 forward + 1 reverse

Last edited by ported_head : 15th February 2010 at 23:37. Reason: removing formatting
Old 19th December 2008, 13:47   #68
Senior - BHPian

Yes I got your PM, thanks for the same. I have no clue about the pricing part. Do you really justify this price ? I was thinking I could get something for less than 1 lac and do all whatever modification I want to and still get a very decent and stunning result all within the 2 lac budget. Exactly what Harjeev is doing and many other Jeepers have done. I dont want to drive around a stock 550 spending 2.15 lac. I am sure the modifications that are in my mind will shoot above 1 lac budget. So its a question of availability and modifications in mind coupled with total budget. My dream plan is exactly what you see in my avatar since 1 year !

Last edited by shajufx : 19th December 2008 at 13:48.
Old 19th December 2008, 15:49   #69
NIP
Senior - BHPian

A very emotional story harjeev !! you guys are sure lucky to find these army disposals. very difficult for us southies to get our paws on these. great effort and i'm tuned in to this thread !! good luck and have a fantastic time with your MM
Old 19th December 2008, 16:16   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
A very emotional story harjeev !! you guys are sure lucky to find these army disposals. very difficult for us southies to get our paws on these. great effort and i'm tuned in to this thread !! good luck and have a fantastic time with your MM
You just repeated what I mentioned few posts above. I would have got mine many months back if I was close to any of the Jeep cities in the north. Your avatar is too good
Old 19th December 2008, 18:40   #71
Senior - BHPian

Thanks NIP.

@shajufx: I love your avtar.

Guy hurry up or the good ones will be gone.
I am not talking about girls but Jeeps.

I met a fellow Bhpian today from Callicut FK7.
He had flown down to Delhi and picked up an Army 550 and sent it to his hometown.

Congrats Feroz.cheers:
Old 19th December 2008, 21:57   #72
Senior - BHPian

I wanted to do something like FK7, but really tight with the schedules and work, hardly anytime to even think about travelling to find a good one. My day will come, and I am sure it will be soon, I grow my hair since October 2008 and when it is long enough for a pony tail, or sufficient to fly with the breeze of an open Jeep, I will have one completed, which is maximum 6 months (or shorter) from now.

I have sent you some 4 or 5 pics to your email as requested. If you need more, I can send you, most of them are googled and explored from the net. You should have a clear picture about what you are going to do and what is your final target on this project.
Old 20th December 2008, 11:58   #73
Senior - BHPian

its best to pick up a jeep( old/ex army) under 1 lakh and then put another 1-1.5 lakh on it....that way you have a hand built jeep of your taste and choice!

cheers:
Old 20th December 2008, 20:11   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Thanks NIP.

@shajufx: I love your avtar.

Guy hurry up or the good ones will be gone.
I am not talking about girls but Jeeps.

I met a fellow Bhpian today from Callicut FK7.
He had flown down to Delhi and picked up an Army 550 and sent it to his hometown.
Congrats Feroz.cheers:

Ooops! FK7 reached there from Dubai...! congrats FK on the new purchase. So lets expect another thread here sooon..

So how did he manage to take it into calicut? trucked it or he drive the jeep himself???

tks/sali

Last edited by Salikt : 20th December 2008 at 20:31.
Old 20th December 2008, 21:18   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
its best to pick up a jeep( old/ex army) under 1 lakh and then put another 1-1.5 lakh on it....that way you have a hand built jeep of your taste and choice!

cheers:
Totally agree Pram,
So when are we getting together to get yours!!!
It would be great restoring 4 Army Disposals on TBhp
Myself, Randeeps, Feroz's and yours... Are you game???

@Salikt: He trucked it!! I think the truck guy charged about 18K till Callicut!! and he's back to Dubai

Last edited by harjeev : 20th December 2008 at 21:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks