Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 09:48   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
..You guys are lucky to have many places in the North to search and find decent options. I dont think Southies are that lucky to find a place like Mayapuri or Dabwali or Malout...
I think places in south are rather better in terms of the true blue jeeps. Yes, in mayapuri you can get army disposals, but when it comes to good workshops and good mechanics, who appreciate and understand jeep quite extensively, there is not much of scope. Whereas you can find many such people in the southern parts. And you can't be happy with jeeps from Dabwali or similar places.
Parm, why don't you post the army jeep pics here itself. Would be really nice
-Best regards,
Old 18th December 2008, 11:01   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
If you want to put LSDs up front you need to have free wheeling hubs. Otherwise the LSDs will engage when you take turns and it's not good for he drive train.
As my is Army spec it came with free wheeling FWH hubs in the front. Also the link that Dan sent says that it is only at a certain pressure that the LSD's engage.
So if I get LSD's in the front, under normal driving I would be driving with the FWH on the 'FREE' position. What I want to ask is that when off-roading I would have to engage the FWH to the lock position and then when making turns etc what are the changes the front LSD's causing harm to the front axels??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Hi Hrjeev
I tought I was the only nutter who couldnt sleep at night thking bout t mods t his 4x4!! Good to know there are more, and now we are all connecting through te NIOC!
I will be there for te OTR this Sat. See you there my friend.
Ankit
Tell me about it? The anxiety is killing man.
Good that I have a 4x4 now and I have very able and experienced gurus on T-Bhp & NIOC to guide me on my path to making it as a good off-roader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
Do you know approx how much will cost to fabricate those fenders (4 pieces). Can you please check it during next visit?

tks/sali
You got it! I will be going to my workshop on Sat, check it out & update it on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
Hey Congrats on your Project. I would love to get more info on the springs. Do let me know where you are getting your work done i'll try and visit. Please provide more info on the springs for sure.

The jeeps lookin awesome in the pics Harjeev.

Cheers to an awesome job being done.

Work on my Jeep has started today in Jaipur. lol
Thanks Randeep. Its your thread that started the bug in me. It was like a wake up call. I always wanted to get a 4x4 and at somepoint in time was thinking of geting it installed in my Safari. But I remember reading somewhere on the forum that its not reliable and costs much more than this entire project is going to cost. But the main factor was you cant compare a Jeep to any SUV man! Jeep is a Jeep. I thing that his is what seperates the Men from the boys.
The pics of the fabricated fenders and springs are of some other jeep. not mine. The body work on my jeep has not even started as yet. But I might get the leaf suspension converted to the spring suspension, if it dosent cost a lot.
The work is being done in Greater Noida. My cousins workshop is there. Do let me know if you would like to visit.

Quote:
I have one more thread now to the regular reads ! Its my long pending wish to get a decent Jeep and modify. You guys are lucky to have many places in the North to search and find decent options. I dont think Southies are that lucky to find a place like Mayapuri or Dabwali or Malout. Please put maximum photos to the thread as that will be the main attraction for all such projects. I am glued. Best of luck to get the best results out of your project !
I think that it is not North or South India. I think that the grass always appears to be greener on the other side.

When I was on my search to buy a 4x4 I used to constantly think, man these guys from southern states are so lucky. Had I been there, I could have snapped a 4x4 in a minute. They seem to everywhere. But I think that it’s not like that and we have to make do with the kind of resources that are available to us. But this you can’t deny this fact, that the Jeep culture is more prominent in southern states that it’s there in the northern India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
so you got bitten by the JEEP bug after all and bought a army spec jeep.

chardi kalan vich raho veerji! congrats on becoming a jeeper.

those extensions on fenders on your friend's "rubicon" are made of metal and not original maal!
Thanks Pram.
Yeah the fenders are made of metal.
Quote:
Harjeev, keep the paint shade of the olive green and let it look like what it is....army jeep.
You’ve read my mind. As of now I plan to keep the jeep as stock as possible. I don’t plan to change anything like the color nor any body modifications. I just want to make the Jeep mechanically perfect. That’s why I am getting all mechanical parts overhauled. i.e engine, transmission (gearbox, differentials etc), brakes, etc. After all this is complete and owning the jeep for some period of time, it is only then I would even start to think on any kind of cosmetic changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestraveller View Post
somebody here had started a thread on similar jeeps made near Coorg. Search again
Could you please post the link or the name of that thread
Old 18th December 2008, 11:08   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
I think that it is not North or South India. I think that the grass always appears to be greener on the other side.

When I was on my search to buy a 4x4 I used to constantly think, man these guys from southern states are so lucky. Had I been there, I could have snapped a 4x4 in a minute. They seem to everywhere. But I think that it’s not like that and we have to make do with the kind of resources that are available to us. But this you can’t deny this fact, that the Jeep culture is more prominent in southern states that it’s there in the northern India.
You will find lot of people using a 4X4 in south specially places like high ranges in Kerala etc. because no other vehicle can fit into that place when it comes to daily life. I felt jelous of places like Mayapuri, Dabwali or Malout because you find a lot of army based true stuff other than any places. And when it comes to the personal experience of finding one here, either its too highly quoted by users, or hard to find what one actually wants. Sadly there are no places in south where you find a line of jeeps for sale like North be it scrap or not. Almost 5 of my cousines are searching for me since beginning of 2008, so far none clicked.
Old 18th December 2008, 11:41   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
As my is Army spec it came with free wheeling FWH hubs in the front. Also the link that Dan sent says that it is only at a certain pressure that the LSD's engage.
So if I get LSD's in the front, under normal driving I would be driving with the FWH on the 'FREE' position. What I want to ask is that when off-roading I would have to engage the FWH to the lock position and then when making turns etc what are the changes the front LSD's causing harm to the front axels??
Ah right. I forgot that you already had free wheeling hubs. You can fit LSDs up front. The idea is that when you engage 4x4 you will be using it it in slippery conditions where so there will be no harm to your axles. BTW, even without LSD, you can damage your front axles by engaging the jeeps part time 4x4 in non-slippery conditions.
Old 18th December 2008, 14:37   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You will find lot of people using a 4X4 in south specially places like high ranges in Kerala etc. because no other vehicle can fit into that place when it comes to daily life. I felt jelous of places like Mayapuri, Dabwali or Malout because you find a lot of army based true stuff other than any places. And when it comes to the personal experience of finding one here, either its too highly quoted by users, or hard to find what one actually wants. Sadly there are no places in south where you find a line of jeeps for sale like North be it scrap or not. Almost 5 of my cousines are searching for me since beginning of 2008, so far none clicked.
i think north india has more army cantonments areas compared to south india because of a "friendly" neighbouring country on our western borders. thats why there are large number of ex army vehicles available through disposal. i think its the same with calcutta and north eastern parts of india.

well some business oriented smart man can pick up 5-10 ex army jeeps from north india and take them back to kerala and make some $$$, since kerala is a jeep state!

just 2 trips a year with 5-10 jeeps each trip and you will be thanking me!

cheers:
Old 18th December 2008, 14:44   #51
Senior - BHPian

@shajufx
what is the going price for army disposals in the southern India states.
Old 18th December 2008, 14:46   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
well some business oriented smart man can pick up 5-10 ex army jeeps from north india and take them back to kerala and make some $$$, since kerala is a jeep state! just 2 trips a year with 5-10 jeeps each trip and you will be thanking me!cheers:
There are people doing that right from my school days, but I dont know how many prefer to bring Jeeps to south. I have seen Maruti 800s taken in 10 or 15 numbers as a batch and brought to kerala for a better deal. Later registration changed and sold for a decent profit. Now I doubt if anyone is concentrating on M800s.

After my previous post, I found an 'ongoing Jeep project' (no engine) brought to a washing platform near my house. It looked very neat, I could not find any details since the workshop guys left it and went. But I am looking for the workshop that dropped it. Will post more on that with pics if possible.

Quote:
what is the going price for army disposals in the southern India states.
I have not found a single army disposal in the last 12 months. I met few sellers in the past months, but all of them had already spend some bucks on some modification or other, so asking price was steep. I dont want to take a half modified jeep for that cost and crush them back to basics and start my work all over. Its not worth the money and time.

Last edited by shajufx : 18th December 2008 at 14:48.
Old 18th December 2008, 14:58   #53
Senior - BHPian

what about jeeps from govt departments for auctions....police, forest dept, customs, fire dept, etc in south india?

these should be available to the public!

cheers:
Old 18th December 2008, 15:10   #54
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

In my observation, it is tough to get those in the first place and even if and when they are available they are usually in such ghastly condition that one would hesitate!
sometimes they are also available in the hilly regions but the hassle is, there is usually no information as to how the vehicle has been driven, looked after and maintained.
One can just end up with an expensive lemon.

Quote:
what about jeeps from govt departments for auctions....police, forest dept, customs, fire dept, etc in south india?

these should be available to the public!

cheers:
Old 18th December 2008, 15:18   #55
Senior - BHPian

may be you guys need to do a recce trip to mayapuri, delhi to get first hand info about these ex army jeeps.

and for that get in touch with local T-Bhpians to get support and help in doing the recce.

cheers:
Old 18th December 2008, 15:20   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Almost 5 of my cousines are searching for me since beginning of 2008, so far none clicked.
Why they do not come to Delhi, buy 5 x MM550 scrap, load them in a truck, have them repaired in your town, have them registered there and be happy Jeepers.

If this seems you too complicated, I can speak with my machanic freind and you can avail his professional help (PM me if intrested). Perhaps we are initiating a new trafic lane for Jeeps.
Old 18th December 2008, 15:25   #57
Senior - BHPian

well said DK....stop wasting time and start doing what needs to be done to get 5 jeeps in one go!

happy hunting!cheers:
Old 18th December 2008, 16:02   #58

Quote:
I have a lot of faith in Poddy (my friend and guide) the owner of the garage and he's very confident. Infact now he is more excited than I am as though he is modifying a MM540 to a Rubicon (look alike) he is more excited about my product.
Congraz brocheers:. lucky man. your jeep is in exactlant condition.good luck for ur project.
please keep posting new info & pictures of your friends 540 project.bcoz i am installing same spring suspension in my 540.
Old 18th December 2008, 16:28   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After my previous post, I found an 'ongoing Jeep project' (no engine) brought to a washing platform near my house. It looked very neat, I could not find any details since the workshop guys left it and went. But I am looking for the workshop that dropped it. Will post more on that with pics if possible.
I went back with my camera and got a snap. According to the washing boys I went searching for the workshop but could not find any. I waited near the Jeep for sometime hoping someone will come to pick it up, but in vein. I am not an expert to judge what make and year it is. If it belongs to a team-bhpian by any chance, we could get more details.
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-jp.jpg

Last edited by shajufx : 18th December 2008 at 16:30.
Old 18th December 2008, 17:11   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpaalgill View Post
Congraz brocheers:. lucky man. your jeep is in exactlant condition.good luck for ur project
Thanks man. Its sure appears to be
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpaalgill View Post
am installing same spring suspension in my 540.
How much is the cost working out to be for the spring suspension. I have still not made up my mind.
But would love to know the pros and cons of springs vs leaf suspension

How much did it cost for the hydraulic suspension job in your jeep. That was one neat job.

Quote:
well said DK....stop wasting time and start doing what needs to be done to get 5 jeeps in one go!
Buying 5 Jeeps in one go would definitely save a lot of time and would be a very good bargaining tool too. Would be glad to be of any help

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks