Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2008, 19:25   #106
BHPian

Hi Harjeev,

It looks nice once the cleaning has done!

Why don't you post the pics of that Rubicon? I can from your pics that it has got a black paint work, am I right? Please post detailed photos of that also

tks/sadiq
Old 29th December 2008, 19:46   #107
fk7
BHPian

so the work is progressing fast. How much is the pricing coming up to?

Would appreciate it if you could provide a comprehensive list of things done/ to be done to the vehicle.

Regards

Firoz
Old 29th December 2008, 19:58   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Guys went I was at the workshop yesterday the entire day. and the Gearbox is done.
Will post the updates later in the day today with pics and now I even have a cost estimate the whole project '550XD'
Hurray cheers:
I'm equally interested in a Army version of the MM540. I've got no clue where to buy one.It'd be amazing if i can get more info on that.
Old 30th December 2008, 14:50   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
Why don't you post the pics of that Rubicon? I can from your pics that it has got a black paint work, am I right? Please post detailed photos of that also
tks/sadiq
That's right. The black paint job has been started on the Rubicon copy.
Now here are the pics
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_3317.jpg

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_3318.jpg

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_3425.jpg

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_3427.jpg

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_3428.jpg

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_3429.jpg

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_3430.jpg

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_3431.jpg

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_3433.jpg

Name:  IMG_3484.JPG
Views: 3683
Size:  138.0 KB

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_3485.jpg

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_3493.jpg

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_3495.jpg

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_3499.jpg

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_3547.jpg

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_3548.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by fk7 View Post
so the work is progressing fast. How much is the pricing coming up to?

Would appreciate it if you could provide a comprehensive list of things done/ to be done to the vehicle.

Regards

Firoz
hey feroz,
The pricing man dont ask. The budget is all haywire

Here is goes

Budgeted amount 200-225k

Vehicles 175k (approx)
  • MM550 93k (77k vehicle, bal regn, tow & misc)
  • CJ3B 81K (66K vehicle, bal regn, tow & misc)
The rest of the estimate is as follow
remember these all all ball park figures and can increase or decrease on the final tally)

Parts 35-40k (these include all parts for engine like new piston, rings, piston sleeves, gearbox parts like gears, gear synchronisers, seals, brake parts fr.rear. Now there are alot of other small small parts cables clutch, accelerator cables, fuel cables etc but I dont know all the names)
Labor 25k (agreed on a round amount and will negotiate when final this includes everything in totality, maybe Ill try to negotiate for 20k or something on finalisation)
Denting & Painting 25K
Power steering, LSD's in front, Full floating axles in the rear 15k-20K
Fuel pump labor 7k (Given at bosch)
Tyres 20k (will fit basic Sand Grips or NDMS 5pc at present)
Misc 25-30k (there are several things like parts for diff overhaul, electrical wiring, bulbs, lights, dashboard, softtop cover, seats etc which will come at a later stage) and these small small thing dont cost much but really shoot up the budget
Total comes 152-167K.
Take an approx figure of 160k (+/- 10%)

I have taken all estimates on the higher side.

Now I could have easily avoided major of the expenses. Like if I dint do the engine, gearbox and diff overhauls it could have easily saved me parts + labor 50k minimum. but would my vehicle have been as reliable as it will be now?
Secondly I am buying all parts brand new as far as the mechanicals go so this further increases the cost.
And lastly, I want to keep the vehicle forever. But lets take a 15 years ownership and an extra 50k spent now works out to be 3-4k a year which is a very small price to pay for reliability. Isn't it?? And this amount if avoided now would in any case have to be spend in the initial years of ownership. So I am saving the time by doing it now.

Therefore the total cost of the 550 XD will come to approx 255k.
For this price I might not even get a small car like a Maruti 800 or an Alto leave alone a rugged off-roader.

Add the cost of the CJ3B 81k and my total cost rockets upto 336k well over my limit of 225k. But come to think of it, if I take the cost of only the 550 255k, thats pretty ok compared to 225k no major overuns.
But the 3B will have to wait atleast a year or so

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
I'm equally interested in a Army version of the MM540. I've got no clue where to buy one.It'd be amazing if i can get more info on that.
I dont know the rest of India but go through my posts on this threads and if interested buy it from Delhi like feroz did.
Let me know if you need my help.
Harjeev

Last edited by harjeev : 30th December 2008 at 14:54.
Old 30th December 2008, 15:05   #110
Senior - BHPian

Wow Harjeev

Voted a 'GOOD' thread just for the 'detailed' pictorial representation of the work you are putting into this Jeep. Awaiting further progress. And do keep the pics coming, these pics would remain a great 'archive' for all future Jeep Enthusists.
Old 30th December 2008, 15:23   #111
BHPian

Hi Harjeev,

Thanks for the Ruby's pics! really very interesting now! looks the guy is doing a excellent work.

3" Spacers for the Wheels Is it good that much increase with a spacer? I doubt that it will make a negative impact on the wheel suspension? What about the Spring suspension setup?

After all it will become a monster jeep with those tyres and Sparco seats etc...!!!

PS: Did you ask the guy how much will cost for that Fender fabrications (4 piecs)?

tks/sali

Last edited by Salikt : 30th December 2008 at 15:26.
Old 30th December 2008, 21:02   #112
Senior - BHPian

any plans for what running board you are going to put.
Old 3rd January 2009, 00:11   #113

I'm sorry i interrupt the rather serious discussion to thank Harjeev for kicking my derriere into shape...and making me get a 550. Sir i owe you for one of the best new years eves of my life (spent hanging about as the engine was opened). May i atleast offer a drive? :-)
Old 3rd January 2009, 00:55   #114
BHPian

Hi Harjeev,

The work on your Jeep seems to cumming alsong fast and hopefully should be on track by end of this month.

Sorry to have not been able to post any reply's as we have just been blessed with a baby girl and have been tied up with the li'll angel.

I could not visit Jaipur for the same reason and shall surely update you on my Jeep's progress, though I know its going on real slow as my Mamaji's getting a few cars ready for a Vintage car rally that got postponed from December to Jan.

I think i should be visiting Jaipur sometime mid this month and would update you on my Jeep.

Its just amazing to see your jeep coming to live. Amazing work by Parminder Bhai Saab.

Cheers !!!!

Randeep
Old 3rd January 2009, 10:54   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Wow Harjeev

Voted a 'GOOD' thread just for the 'detailed' pictorial representation of the work you are putting into this Jeep. Awaiting further progress. And do keep the pics coming, these pics would remain a great 'archive' for all future Jeep Enthusists.
Thanks Santosh,
I am just trying to share my experiences will everyone so that the next Army disposal buyer can make a better informed decision. I had like a million questions and there was Randeep who had went ahead and bought the jeep. This gave me a lot of consolation. So next time anyone wants to buy anything they will know the pros and cons of buying and living with an army disposal. I am not saying that my journey is over but it has just started and I will be sharing it with everyone for everybody benefit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
Hi Harjeev,

Thanks for the Ruby's pics! really very interesting now! looks the guy is doing a excellent work.

3" Spacers for the Wheels Is it good that much increase with a spacer? I doubt that it will make a negative impact on the wheel suspension? What about the Spring suspension setup?

After all it will become a monster jeep with those tyres and Sparco seats etc...!!!

PS: Did you ask the guy how much will cost for that Fender fabrications (4 piecs)?

tks/sali
I think that indeed he is doing a great job.
The 3” spacers to me also sounded like too much but after mounting the tyres on them the seem pretty ok and well within the bodyline.
The spring suspension is done for the front and the rear will be over by today or tomorrow and I will be there to document it.
I am sorry I forgot about the fenders. But I do know this that the entire rubicon project is somewhere between 6.5 to 7.0L. this included everything. AC, Instruments & backlights (imported from USA, cost of the jeep, tyres etc etc etc. The tyres alone cost I think 18-20K a piece including the alloys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
any plans for what running board you are going to put.
I haven’t really thought about that at present as soon as I bought myself a treat the CJ3B, my budget went haywire. Now I am just waiting for the jeep to be ready mechanically and then I would have an idea of what cash I am left with and what I can spare for cosmetics. I was initially not even getting it painted but the existing paint is in a bad shape with rust creeping here and there. So I decided to get it painted Army Green and my brother said that if I am spending the money on paint why not to spice it up a little bit. So now my options are open. BTW I really loved the jeeps in the thread “Jeeps in Hyderabad” but they would have cost alot I think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabeer View Post
I'm sorry i interrupt the rather serious discussion to thank Harjeev for kicking my derriere into shape...and making me get a 550. Sir i owe you for one of the best new years eves of my life (spent hanging about as the engine was opened). May i atleast offer a drive? :-)
Thanks Kabeer. Anytime mate and I am glad that I could be of any assistance.
BTW you said that you would not open up the engine and would drive it like that only. Any reason to change your decision?? When are you getting your jeep on road errr off the road.
DRIVE is that a joke “neeki aur pooch pooch”
Man I would love to be behind the wheel at the next OTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
Sorry to have not been able to post any reply's as we have just been blessed with a baby girl and have been tied up with the li'll angel.
Randeep congrats on being blessed with a baby girl. When was the lucky day?? God Bless the little one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
The work on your Jeep seems to cumming alsong fast and hopefully should be on track by end of this month.
Its just amazing to see your jeep coming to live. Amazing work by Parminder Bhai Saab.

Cheers !!!!

Randeep
Yes it sure is. I could have had it earlier but he has to hand over the Rubicon by the 15 and they all are working full steam ahead on that one. Also when they are pre-occupied with the rubicon I don’t want them to rush on my jeep as they say “Haste makes waste” But I think that I will have it by the end of jan or the beginning of feb.
He sure is doing an amazing work and working really hard on it. I am now thinking if it wasent for him I would have taken longer to take my buying decision.
Old 3rd January 2009, 12:38   #116
Senior - BHPian

harjeev,
Your vehicle is coming out really well mate!! The detailed pictorial discussion is welcome!! Keep the good job on!!!:-))))
Old 3rd January 2009, 13:03   #117
Team-BHP Support

The Rubicon clone looks very impressive. The alloys look like Plati model, the one I am eyeing, what specs are they? BTW, the MT tyres look pretty aggressive, what make are they?
Old 3rd January 2009, 13:27   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
BTW, the MT tyres look pretty aggressive, what make are they?
The tires are KUMHO Road Venture MT KL71 's.

Kumho Tire USA - Light Truck - Mud Terrain - KL71
Old 3rd January 2009, 13:34   #119
Senior - BHPian

Those are Kumho tyres.
Old 3rd January 2009, 18:32   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Now I could have easily avoided major of the expenses. Like if I dint do the engine, gearbox and diff overhauls it could have easily saved me parts + labor 50k minimum. but would my vehicle have been as reliable as it will be now?
Secondly I am buying all parts brand new as far as the mechanicals go so this further increases the cost.
And lastly, I want to keep the vehicle forever. But lets take a 15 years ownership and an extra 50k spent now works out to be 3-4k a year which is a very small price to pay for reliability. Isn't it?? And this amount if avoided now would in any case have to be spend in the initial years of ownership. So I am saving the time by doing it now.
This is my thinking also. I want to drive it, not tinker with it for an eternity.

I really like your pics on the gear box and T-case. Well done, sir, your whole thread.

It is your cousin who is the master mechanic of all this? Can you tell us BRIEFLY a little about him?

I recommend this thread by Arka on what I think is an important upgrade to your steering unless you have gone PS already.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...d-upgrade.html

Last edited by DirtyDan : 3rd January 2009 at 18:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks