Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2009, 14:08   #181
Senior - BHPian

Update on the Engine assembly

Sorry for the delay guys,
Update on the Engine assembly

Work began at the workshop early on Sunday around 11ish. We cleaned the engine, the crank shaft assembled the pistons etc. My fuel pump has also been re-calibrated and received back from the service center. Now I think that I should have gone for a new fuel pump altogether as a new one costs about 20-25k (I think) and I have spent 15k on servicing of mine. . But hey whats done is done and now there is no point crying over it, as I cannot do anything ow. Further I have complete trust in my cousin and he says that practically all the parts have been changed in it and its a new FIP. But its over and I have to move forward! Right?

So coming back to the topic, I was very excited and more than myself the ustadji was excited to do the engine and just a couple of hour into when the main bigen(its is a small curved plate made of some alloy and goes in between the crank and the engine block) were installed we realised tat they were 0.5 mm bigger. We needed a thickness of 0.3mm and the part we had bought was 0.8mm. And you know what was more frustrating? I rushed to Kashmiri Gate on Saturday evening to get the part!!! But it was not my fault as the engine plate that the Army attaches on overhauled engines said that the required thickness of 0.8mm.
So how did we come to know that he parts were thicker than the required part.
1. You can compare it to the old part and see the difference
2. But we found out after we put the crankshaft in place and tightened it with the U shaped locks, it should have rotated freely. But in our case it wasnt even moving when forced.

A lesson for all who are overhauling their engines
“Please take samples of parts that you want to replace along with you when buying replacements or note down the details from the part itself and not some stupid plate.”

So now the engine reassembly has been post-phoned by a week and will be done this Sunday.
Here are the pics
Attached Thumbnails
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_4447.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_4448.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_4449.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_4455.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_4459.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_4462.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_4471.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_4478.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_4487.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_4460.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_4490.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_4492.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_4503.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_4509.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_4510.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_4512.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_4513.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_4514.jpg  

Old 13th January 2009, 15:20   #182
Senior - BHPian

@ harjeev :Sad to hear that the engine is not ready yet. Any updates on the Rubicon replica? pics?
Old 13th January 2009, 20:45   #183
BHPian

Don't worry man, it will be ready by next week surely then! This week they can go with the other area of jeep then naa?

So whats the news about the other awaiting jeep, the Ruby??

sali

Last edited by Salikt : 13th January 2009 at 20:46.
Old 13th January 2009, 21:41   #184
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
A lesson for all who are overhauling their engines
“Please take samples of parts that you want to replace along with you when buying replacements or note down the details from the part itself and not some stupid plate.”
Also keep a vernier calliper handy.
Old 14th January 2009, 00:11   #185
fk7
BHPian

hi harjeev,

your thread is a complete source of inspiration for anyone rebuilding their MM550. good pictures and detailed descriptions. I am totally glued to this and hope to learn more during the rebuild of my 550.

FK
Old 14th January 2009, 12:58   #186
BHPian

Dont worry Harjeev. You are doing what many dream of - building his own jeep. These setbacks teach an important lesson, and in this case not only to you but to us all (thanks to this forum) and we are better for it!

Cheers
Ankit
Old 14th January 2009, 20:55   #187
BHPian

Harjeev,

Any news updates on the Rubycon project? Please post the pics

sali
Old 16th January 2009, 13:20   #188
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev,
My attention span is near to nil, when I started reading the chronology of events in regards to your hunt for a 4X4, it was certian that I would not complete reading the long writeup, the narration was so immersing that I ended up consuming the whole thread.
Congrats to you for your MM550 and wish you the best, it is as much fun restoring a jeep as driving it, but beleive me! the works never stop and we continue planning whats next on the jeep last thing before our eyes finally close for the night. Wives innocently or instinctively end up thinking "who is their husband thinking of ??? ", perhaps never knowing she is parked in their own garage. Welcome to this beautiful side of life.
There are many learened members on the forum who can help you out in refining your Jeep to what you want it to be or also take it to higher levels than envisioned. In my limited capacity what ever I can contribute will be a pleasure.
Old 16th January 2009, 13:30   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
.....but beleive me! the works never stop and we continue planning whats next on the jeep last thing before our eyes finally close for the night. Wives innocently or instinctively end up thinking "who is their husband thinking of ??? ", perhaps never knowing she is parked in their own garage.....
Thats really a nice and appropriate set of words you shared Fazal sir. By the way, really eager to see some snaps in your thread very soon on the latest status of your current project. .
-regards,
Old 16th January 2009, 14:27   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Thats really a nice and appropriate set of words you shared Fazal sir. By the way, really eager to see some snaps in your thread very soon on the latest status of your current project. .
-regards,
Kandisa,
Hopefully, early or latest by middle of february I expect the Jeep to be completed, though there is not much mojor works to be done on it neither can we undermine how time consuming little things and details take up.
Deep orange is the colour. Will post pics the moment I get it completed.
Regards.
Old 17th January 2009, 18:42   #191
BHPian

Hi,
Can any one point out all the differences between till 2000 and post 2000 army mm550 models. Below are the differences I am aware of.

1. Better and sturdier tail gate which opens from left side with gypsy lock. It has a separate frame for spare Tyre independent of tail gate. Also body is reinforced with a channel where tailgate is mounted. Hopefully we shall not have anymore sheared tailgates due to spare Tyre weight.

2. Omission of freewheeling hubs in the post 2000 model. I personally don't find them of much use anyways.

3. The information lights (indicator, headlight, low oil, parking brake etc) are clustered in a single console in post 2000 models unlike till 2000 models which have individual lights for each indication scattered all over the dash board. Post 2000 model also has an indication light for 4x4 engaged.

4. The fuel filter/manual pump is mounted sloping directly on the inside wall of the fender in till 2000 models. In post 2000 models it is mounted upright with a bracket. Don't know how this makes any difference.

Were there any other upgrades/changes also one is aware of?? Any change to chassis, drive train, engine etc?

@ Harjeev - I see a steering damper on your jeep. Very interesting, never seen an army jeep with these before.

cheers
vishwas
Old 17th January 2009, 19:30   #192
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys
My apologies for not replying to all the posts. You guys are alot of support. Thanks to everyone.

I was off to Punjab to get the registration for my 550 verified and have returned just yesterday.The good news is that the registration checks out.

I had to get it verified as I got the registration done from the guy I bought the jeep from and wanted to double check it.
Thank god it all checked out. I am much relived.

I will be off to the workshop tomorrow and god willing will complete the engine reassembly.

Here are the rubicon pics that I took last week
Attached Thumbnails
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_4457.jpg  

Old 17th January 2009, 21:03   #193
NIP
Senior - BHPian

fantastic ! just love running thru this thread. that 'rubicon' also looks killer. do you have any more pics ?
Old 19th January 2009, 20:04   #194
BHPian

Just love the way the Rubicon is comming out! Eagerly awaiting more WIP pics.
Old 20th January 2009, 00:57   #195
BHPian

harjeev...that is a very nice illustration of jeep restoration..keep it up.

Most Viewed