Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2009, 23:55   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Arka's jeep has LSD up front. It is fine to have LSD up front as long as you have free wheeling hubs, which you do. When driving on tarred roads, remember to have your free wheeling hubs unlocked so the LSD in the front won't kick in.
Old 24th January 2009, 13:09   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
I had decided to have the following modifications done in my 550, but after talking to fellow jeepers, discussing and reading on TBhp I am again double minded.

I had decided the following
  1. To add Limited Slip Diff LSD's in the front (my vehicle came with free wheeling hubs in the front)
  2. To make the rear axle Full Floating (by default it comes as semi floating)
  3. To add a power steering
As I have not done the above modifications as yet and they are scheduled for next week I am not able to decide whether to go ahead with it or not and my mind is constantly in debate with myself.
My view are as follows..

1. Front LSD :: I also had this in my list of 'thing to do' but I also had some doubts. Imagine a situation where you might have to drive someday for 1km on 2wd tarrain and than 100 mtr for 4wd tarrain; again 1 km 2wd tarrain and than 100 mtr 4wd; and repeat... If you have front LSD and if you want to ensure no breakage in front axle, you have to come out from the vehicle with every change in 2wd and 4wd tarrain and has to disengage/engage the free wheeling hubs.

Since you have already spend your heard earned money, beter go for it after taking words from the garage that they will not charge you anyting extra if you want to come back to the old set up in future. Experiments are always a part of offroading (if not Jeeping).

2. Full floating real axle :: no comments as I heardly know about it. People suggested me many things to increase the capability of the vehicle but they never discussed about this.

3. Power Steering of Koyo :: It is a must, I am already using it and very much satisfied. I am using very thick tyres and has abused my Jeep a lot but PS is working perfectly. True value to money, I highly recomend.
Old 24th January 2009, 18:11   #243
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Naren,
I understand this. But I also think, maybe others would be able to comment better, when driving in 4WD mode and the front hubs locked, isnt the LSD activated by a spring and when the tension in the spring increases only then the LSD kicks in.
I think that the LSD will engage only when one wheel is spinning very fast than the other wheel. So while we are off-roading the speeds rarely exceed 25-30kms / hr I dont think that the LSD will get activated unless and untill one wheel rotates at a much faster RPM than the other.
Additionally the speed too I am taking on the higher side.
I maybe wrong here. Do correct me if I am.
Regds
Harjeev
Old 27th January 2009, 00:23   #244
Senior - BHPian

Wolla Big accomplishment today - Engine has been started!!!

GOOD NEWS
GOOD NEWS
GOOD NEWS

We did the engine today and I am very very happy 3 cheers to that
(but I can post only 2 smilies in 1 post)

cheers:
cheers:

The engine was started today and man did I like the sound. It was like sweet music to my ears. After 1 month and 13 days since the day I bought my jeep we did start the engine today.

I really liked it and ustadji was also very happy.
The self-starter had some issues but nothing that cant be managed. Will go back to service.

So now 70-75% of the mechanical job is complete and the front & rear differentials, brakes etc will be started. This would start after a week 10 days as now they are full steam ahead on the rubicon and after that its my 550. I have finally decided to stick with the army green glossy paint and retain the Red and Green color combination. If I get in trouble Ill change it later.

By a rough idea I think that it would be 3-4 weeks MAX on my 550. Fingers crossed

Here are the a couple of videos of the start
And please post comments on how does it sound.

Thats me in the right ride in a black turban and brown & white sweat shirt

Last edited by harjeev : 27th January 2009 at 00:25.
Old 27th January 2009, 00:29   #245
Senior - BHPian

I have more pics but will upload them tomorrow. As it is its the video that matters at this stage
Old 27th January 2009, 02:28   #246
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic to see the videos.

Seeing as you can only add 2 cheers I will add the third cheers:.
Old 27th January 2009, 09:17   #247
Senior - BHPian

@ Harjeev : Congrats. First start is always special. Keep posting updates.
Old 27th January 2009, 09:27   #248
BHPian

Sir Ji, congratulations!!

Seeing your 550 thread and the yellow 550 at the OTR I am getting tempted to get one, but it will have to be either the gypsy or the 550???
Old 27th January 2009, 10:31   #249
BHPian

Wow !!!!!!!

Harjeev, that engine sounds awesome. Congrats !!!

Ustadji has done an amazing overhauling the engine. Three cheers to him. cheers:

Do let me know if you plan to visit the workshop next weekend as I'm coming along for sure.

Cheers !!!!!!!
Old 27th January 2009, 10:43   #250
Senior - BHPian

Hey Harjeev, that must be an amazing experience for sure, getting to hear the engine for the 1st time. So the main hurdle has been successfully completed, hope to see the rest getting wrapped up soon. Good going man.
Ankit, so do you plan to dispose off the gypsy and get a 550, or retain it?
Old 27th January 2009, 11:13   #251
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone. It sure was a great experience and yes a major hurdle has been cleared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Seeing your 550 thread and the yellow 550 at the OTR I am getting tempted to get one, but it will have to be either the gypsy or the 550???
I think you should go for it but you already have a Gypsy R U selling that??
In my experience for a good fully restored 550 with the original engine, you should take a budget of atleast 2.50L give or take 10-20k.
But pl dont sell the gypsy and if interested buy the 550 and restore it slowly and gradually.
Yaar I was just thinking has anyone done this modification on a gypsy. A fiat Qurdajet engine in a Gypsy. Is that possible? Would be very interesting to see if this can be done!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
Do let me know if you plan to visit the workshop next weekend as I'm coming along for sure.
Randeep I might me going there either this sat or sunday. Will let you know for sure.
I couldnt reply to your SMS as you can understand I was at the workshop all afternoon yesterday. The pics and the videos of the OTR are great

Last edited by harjeev : 27th January 2009 at 11:16.
Old 27th January 2009, 12:17   #252
BHPian

Hi Harjeev,.

Superb work man... The sound looks so cool and ofcourse it will be more sweet once it installed with the exhaust.. Wait and c the final result.......

Whoever thought that the XD3B engines are noicy, then this is the time to change your mind

sadiq.

Last edited by Salikt : 27th January 2009 at 12:22.
Old 27th January 2009, 18:59   #253

Boss,
Looks and sounds supercool. BTW Did you hit pay dirt on the first shot like we discussed?

Kabeer
Old 27th January 2009, 21:19   #254
BHPian

wow great but that too in the army specs
Old 27th January 2009, 22:17   #255
BHPian

Dude ,

It really sounds great. Will be much silent on the vehicle.

one more thing you really needs check is the water pump on calender head. XD3p engines are known for faulty Water pumps.

seems like your jeep is having KTM 90 ( 4 speed) gear box. i suppose 2000 model XDB came with BA 10 ( 5 Speed) . correct me if i am wrong.

Most Viewed