Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2009, 22:28   #256
BHPian

Dude ,

really sounds great. will be much silent on vehicle. check the water pumps of your engine. XD3p engines are known for faulty water pumps. i had it thrice...

looks like you are on KTM 90 Gear box( 4+1) . if i am not wrong 2000 model XDB should get BA 10 Gear boxes( 5+1).

Any way fabulous vehicle to own .. truly KING OF JEEPS . I had it for 4 years . sold due to parts unavailability in my place ( damaged engine block)
Old 27th January 2009, 22:38   #257
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everybody

@salikt
I was really impressed with the level of noise. I had really expected the noise to be much more than this. And I think that once the engine settles down it would reduce down a little further

@kabeer
I dont recollect "pay dirt". Can you help me recollect please

@magesh
The jeep is not entirely in army spec though the engine is.
I am doing some modifications to increase the off road ability of the 550. If you read the full thread I have/ will be adding LSD in front, converting the rear axles to full floating, power steering. Basically this is it. But the engine is totally rebuilt and stock.
Old 28th January 2009, 09:48   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms_2191 View Post
..looks like you are on KTM 90 Gear box( 4+1) . if i am not wrong 2000 model XDB should get BA 10 Gear boxes( 5+1)...
KMT-90 is the 4-speed gearbox. And i think army has probably stuck to the 4-speed gbox. XDB with 5+1 has come in the civilian models (sreeraj in this forum is one lucky owner)
Old 28th January 2009, 10:26   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
KMT-90 is the 4-speed gearbox. And i think army has probably stuck to the 4-speed gbox. XDB with 5+1 has come in the civilian models (sreeraj in this forum is one lucky owner)
Additionally as far as my knowledge takes me the army opted for a 5+1 speed gearbox post 2004
Old 28th January 2009, 10:54   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Thanks everyone. It sure was a great experience and yes a major hurdle has been cleared.

I think you should go for it but you already have a Gypsy R U selling that??
In my experience for a good fully restored 550 with the original engine, you should take a budget of atleast 2.50L give or take 10-20k.
But pl dont sell the gypsy and if interested buy the 550 and restore it slowly and gradually.
Yaar I was just thinking has anyone done this modification on a gypsy. A fiat Qurdajet engine in a Gypsy. Is that possible? Would be very interesting to see if this can be done!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Ankit, so do you plan to dispose off the gypsy and get a 550, or retain it?
I think I will stick to the gypsy for at least another year. I had the idea of finding the multi-jet but they are too expensive as of now. Next year I can think of either a 550 or retain the gypsy.

Maybe 2nd stage of the gypsy can be the multi-jet is i can find a accidental swift/palio/ vista at mayapuri!!
Old 28th January 2009, 11:00   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Additionally as far as my knowledge takes me the army opted for a 5+1 speed gearbox post 2004
Seems read this information somewhere So may be quite a few years down the line ex-army 5-speed MM 550 XDB's will be found in Mayapuri!
Old 28th January 2009, 11:37   #262
BHPian

Harjeev, did you ever try to find out BA10 4x4 in Mayapuri. Any idea about it's price..
Old 28th January 2009, 11:45   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Harjeev, did you ever try to find out BA10 4x4 in Mayapuri. Any idea about it's price..
Nope Naren I dint
But will sure do on my next visit to the mechanical graveyard
Old 28th January 2009, 11:51   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
1stly it is very difficult to source. And even by miracle if a piece is found, it costs a bomb! IIRC it is something around 40k+ range as found by someone here in the forum! 5-speed does come for a premium!
Old 28th January 2009, 12:47   #265
BHPian

Congrats!!!!!

Quote:
GOOD NEWS
GOOD NEWS
GOOD NEWS
Hey Harjeev!!

Great new that is man!! I missed the starting :(

anyways, congrats buddy as the first start is always special!! I was away at Rajasthan for some work so had to miss the OTR and the trip to Poddy's.

I feel so happy on hearing the sound. Thats perfect and as it should sound. And yes, even in the video, the sound seems lower then normal. I think that's Ustadji's magical hands.

See you soon buddy take care.

Cheers!
Cheers!
Cheers!
Old 28th January 2009, 19:31   #266
BHPian

Hi Harjeev,

That a great achievement yaar!!!! Very well done!! Very nice and consistant sonud of your vehicle.

Tarkesh
Old 28th January 2009, 22:36   #267
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Vinay and Tarkesh
I too thought that the sound would have been more but was surprised myself.
And once the vehicle is done, the sound proofing is done, the silencer is put in place wouldn't the sound of the engine on the outside be even lesser? I think that it should.

However the sound dosent matter as much as it should preform perfectly. I am more concerned about that aspect!!!

Tarkesh
I wanted some clarifications on the Tyres & Rims thread. Please read it
Thanks
Old 29th January 2009, 13:57   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Vinay and Tarkesh
I too thought that the sound would have been more but was surprised myself.
And once the vehicle is done, the sound proofing is done, the silencer is put in place wouldn't the sound of the engine on the outside be even lesser? I think that it should.

However the sound dosent matter as much as it should preform perfectly. I am more concerned about that aspect!!!

Tarkesh
I wanted some clarifications on the Tyres & Rims thread. Please read it
Thanks
Hi Harjeev,

Thats for sure that the sound will be much less when silencer and body on its palce.

What kind of special sound proofing you are talking about? Pls explain I will also use the information.

I replied on the tyre thread.

Tarkesh
Old 31st January 2009, 11:25   #269
BHPian

Hi Harjeev,

What kind of special sound proofing you are talking about? Pls explain I will also use the information.

Tarkesh
Old 31st January 2009, 18:14   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Hi Harjeev,

Tarkesh
Tarkesh
I havent decided on the soundproofing as yet as the work on my jeep is stand still for now. The reason is that they want to hand over the rubicon by next weekend and my jeep will have to wait till then.
Last I had a talk with my cousin about the sound proofing he said that they would use the AC ducting material only but of a heavier grade.
Will talk to him next week and let you know for sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks