Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2009, 20:02   #271
Senior - BHPian

I am not 100% sure that you will be able to source in India but you can get an assortment of sound proofing mats etc.

The engine bay is usually first area. Here you can use mats which adhere to the inside of the bonnet. It is best to use one that conforms to fire retardant standards.

Not sure what you guys are putting down in the footwells but again you can get special soundproof mats.

Similar matting can be used on the inside of doors to reduce road noise.

The following guide may be of interest.
http://www.mitsubishi-fto.org/pdf/soundproofing.pdf

If you can't find any such material then just find a recent salvage car and rip out what you need from that.
Old 31st January 2009, 20:23   #272
BHPian

Harjeev - the sound is a very low grumble - like the Nissan in my Gypsy. SUPERB!!
Old 31st January 2009, 20:36   #273
Senior - BHPian

@bigman
Thanks for the PDF file. I look into it and I dont know whether we can source that here, but will try.
@ankit
That is a superb statement. The nissan in you gypsy dosent sound lilke a diesel at all, If my XD3P motor is like that I couldnt ask for anything better.
Old 31st January 2009, 21:14   #274
BHPian

diesel versions didnt come with KMT-90,I guess it came with BA-10 and AX15 which came with peugot engines.i might be wrong but i think the KMT-90 was only mated with hurricane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
KMT-90 is the 4-speed gearbox. And i think army has probably stuck to the 4-speed gbox. XDB with 5+1 has come in the civilian models (sreeraj in this forum is one lucky owner)
Old 31st January 2009, 21:19   #275
BHPian

Great going there harjeev,brilliant job,dont bother about the sound,just ride it,the more you ride the jeep,the better it gets.congratulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
@bigman
Thanks for the PDF file. I look into it and I dont know whether we can source that here, but will try.
@ankit
That is a superb statement. The nissan in you gypsy dosent sound lilke a diesel at all, If my XD3P motor is like that I couldnt ask for anything better.
Old 1st February 2009, 10:19   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@bigman
@ankit
Harjeev it would be very easy for you to source out this thing. you can contact GUNBIR or AUTOPYCHE for the same this is avaiable in abundance
Old 3rd February 2009, 20:14   #277
BHPian

Harjeev,

Congrats for the first Crank!!!! One small tip from me, when u start the tinkering job, try to change the fuel cap setup. Diesel spilling is a common problem for 550s and 540s, especially when you take a sharp left turn in good speeds. Though it sounds like a cosmetic change, its more practical and will not coast much. I tired 3 different fuel caps but did not have any luck. The fuel cap has a key hole and evenif your cap is tight, diesel will leak thru key hole. This happens even with 1/2 tank of diesel. I got this done now and it works like a charm. I used indica's fuel cap and neck closed with a flap from Maruti esteem. Will post he pictures if you want

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 3rd February 2009, 20:23   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Harjeev,

Congrats for the first Crank!!!! One small tip from me, when u start the tinkering job, try to change the fuel cap setup. Diesel spilling is a common problem for 550s and 540s, especially when you take a sharp left turn in good speeds. Though it sounds like a cosmetic change, its more practical and will not coast much. I tired 3 different fuel caps but did not have any luck. The fuel cap has a key hole and evenif your cap is tight, diesel will leak thru key hole. This happens even with 1/2 tank of diesel. I got this done now and it works like a charm. I used indica's fuel cap and neck closed with a flap from Maruti esteem. Will post he pictures if you want

Thanks
--Sree--
Sree thanks for the great tip.
Pl post the pics and I would definitely get it done.
Old 3rd February 2009, 21:14   #279
BHPian

+1 to sree. There is just no way I can find to stop the spillage. Have gone through 2 sets of tank caps. I bought a new one from M&M service center but even that spills.
But then I don't like the fuel lid ala cars on a jeep. Right now using a plastic sheet between the neck and cap to reduce spillage. It's better but still not there. Any one else got any idea?

cheers
vishwas
Old 3rd February 2009, 23:09   #280
Senior - BHPian

fuel cap from scorpio or bolero an be made fit, & easy to find one for replacement in future .

which will be something like this ,

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-fuel_cap.jpg
Old 8th February 2009, 15:12   #281
BHPian

Hey Harjeev!

Any update on your 550? I guess the work is going full steam on the Rubicon project.

Do post the update on it. Waiting eagerly for it.

Do let me know when you are going there. Might accompany you.

Cheers!
Old 13th February 2009, 20:41   #282
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys
Sorry for not updating the thread for so long. I was off to Nainital and Corbett during the previous weekend, hense the delay.

During my absence the following have been done
The differentials overhaul is complete
The LSD has been installed in the front
The insulation material has been procured
There is some issue with the steering knuckle. What exactly I will know when I am at the workshop.
I have decided not to install the rollcage for now. Maybe later I would get it done.

I will be off to the workshop, most likely on sunday. Will have more updated and pics then.

I had a talk with my cousin and it seems that I will have the jeep in my possession by the end of the month
Old 17th February 2009, 13:17   #283
Senior - BHPian

Status update on the MM550 XD

Update on the 550
  • The Chassis has been painted (thought in the pics its not, but was painted yesterday)
  • Front & Rear differentials have been overhauled and successfully converted the rear axles to full floating and installed LSD's in the front
  • We are changing the front discs, They were in a pretty bad shape Already bought new will be installed this week
  • putting Gas Shock Aabsorbers
  • The engine gearbox will be mounted on the chassis today or tomorrow
  • At the same time the anti-rust coating will be done on the underside of the body
  • Once underside bodywork is complete the body will be mounted and the electrical work will begin
  • Side by side the body will be painted
  • I have decided not to go in for the rollcage etc for the time being as it will take time and plan to take it up later
  • With all the above done we expect the vehicle to be ready by the end of next week and hopefully I am planning to take it to Chandigarh.
I am still undecided on tyres but will not go for the 235's that come in both Michelin LTX ATII and BF Goodrich as they reduce the ground clearance by 2-2.25 inches.
So its either Yokohama Geolanders (7.3k a tyre) or Michelin LTX AT's(9.5k a tyre). The Michelin are way too expensive for me so its most likely the Yokos.

Now here are the pics, There are not many of my jeep but some other interesting work going around in the workshop on a Kaiser, Cielo and the Rubicon
Attached Thumbnails
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-picture-003.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-picture-005.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-picture-010.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-picture-013.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-picture-014.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-picture-015.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-picture-016.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-picture-020.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-picture-021.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-picture-023.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-picture-025.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-picture-027.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-picture-029.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-picture-032.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-picture-040.jpg  

Old 17th February 2009, 14:56   #284
Team-BHP Support

Do the electricals after paint job, it will avoid you lot of pain and will give it a clean look.
Old 17th February 2009, 15:21   #285
Senior - BHPian

LSD upfront

Quote:
The LSD has been installed in the front
What LSD have you installed upfront, same unit as what is used in the rear of the MM550XD?

Any upgrades to the steering setup?

Regards,

Arka

Most Viewed