Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2009, 09:03   #316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Harjeev, what areas besides the firewall are you insulating ? I was advised to keep the insulating material away from the flooring (near the transmission areas) as water etc can get underneath and lead to rusting.

Also you using anything for flooring in the rear (aluminium chequer plate etc Again the chaps in the paint shop advised against this although hey sould do if we really wanted. Again water getting in between and then hidden corrosion was given as a negative of chequer plate.
Hey satnam
I am getting the insulation done on the firewall (both the engine side and the cabin side) underside of the hood, and the fenders.

I too wanted to insulate the floor but was given the same advise as you have received and that makes perfect sense. Further if you are getting your jeep converted to a hard top, then the floor insulation ,makes sense otherwise the rust prioblem will always be there.
As a co-incidence I too wanted the cequered plate but had to let go due to the rust issue that will definitely crop up later
Old 1st March 2009, 20:14   #317
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Harjeev.

Yes thats similar to where we are getting the insulation installed. Not going for a hardtop now. The hard roof jobs they do in Moga are not very good, you are better off just buying a manufacured hard top rather than paying 15K for a similar thing in Moga.

We have given order for a canvas type cover to be made from some heavy duty material. There are lots of variations in the canvas hoods as well. You can have them fixed to the sides (apparently they use a strip of wood) and only the rear flap opens. We have ordered version that opens on all sides.

I think we will have to get a big rubber mat for the back similar to what you can get for Land Rover Defenders. It is easy to remove and can be washed down.

Does your cousin paint outside ? Can't find any place that has a proper (or even half decent) paint booth but the guys doing the body work assure us they do not paint if it is windy and the spray job will not be contaminated by dust and other airborne particles.

Last edited by bigman : 1st March 2009 at 20:16.
Old 2nd March 2009, 13:17   #318
Senior - BHPian

It seems that we will have to change the brake lines, brake cylinder, also get a new dashboard, front windscreen. I am also changing the handbrake lining. We are adding a cigarette lighter and getting it wired directly from the battery.

The 550 is on schedule and in all probability I will pick up the 550 Saturday or Sunday.
Cheers
Old 2nd March 2009, 13:30   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
It seems that we will have to change the brake lines, brake cylinder, also get a new dashboard, front windscreen.

Cheers
Hi Harjeev,

If you looking to change the dashboard, you can also check out the bolero dashboard. It fits perfectly and looks amazing too.

It aint that expensive also, its easily available at Kashmiri Gate.

Cheers !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-10012009283.jpg  

Old 2nd March 2009, 14:07   #320
BHPian

You will not be able to drop the windshield if you install a fancy dashboard.
Old 3rd March 2009, 06:31   #321
Senior - BHPian

I will be keeping the standard dashboard for now as the cost of the entire project will most likely over run my initial budget of 2.5 by almost 20-25%
The costs wouldn't have been an issue had I not gone in for the LHD WILLYS 3B and RHD CJ3B

But if I look at the bright side, I get to experience these two feeling at the same time
Old 3rd March 2009, 17:30   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I will be keeping the standard dashboard for now as the cost of the entire project will most likely over run my initial budget of 2.5 by almost 20-25%
You are right man. I spend so much money on my jeep, I don't event want to sit and add up the total. As long as I don't know the total, maybe it won't hurt so much
Old 5th March 2009, 14:41   #323
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys
Day by day the D-Day is coming close!!!
I can't explain in words how excited I am. Its been a long... looong wait.

We guys NIOC are headed to Chandigarh for an OTR on Saturday. But I really wanted to get the jeep before that so that I could participate in the OTR.
But then I wouldn't have had any time to run in the engine and as jeeps generally take a about a month or so to set in, the next OTR for sure Ill be in my own jeep.

So I was saying that I was contemplating not going to Chandigarh and take the jeep, but as 10th and 11th are holidays I will be doing the all the driving and get to know my jeep then, after I take the delivery on Monday.

Was doing the maths and the estimate expenses will cross 2.75l + on the entire jeep, but hey, almost everything's new.

Now I have spent so much time and money on this jeep, I don't think that I would even touch the other 2 jeeps before the next 10-12 months.

Also regarding the kind of work to be done on the CJ3B's, I mean the level of detailing, will totally depend on how this jeep preforms in the next 1 year. Only then I will take a call whether to get it all done at one go, like the 550 or to sort issues as and when they crops up

What's the consensus on that???
Old 5th March 2009, 16:42   #324
Senior - BHPian

I vote that if you have the moolah, the time and the right person to do the job. Best way is a complete overhaul like you have done. <envy>

I am quite thrilled for you. Waiting for first pics of completely finished product.

Getting a Ex Army 550 itself is a tough task for many of us. You have topped it by pampering it with a complete bolt by bolt overhaul. I dont think the Jeep is complaining. You have treated it well and I am sure it will treat you very well.
Old 5th March 2009, 18:14   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
I vote that if you have the moolah, the time and the right person to do the job. Best way is a complete overhaul like you have done. <envy>

I am quite thrilled for you. Waiting for first pics of completely finished product.

Getting a Ex Army 550 itself is a tough task for many of us. You have topped it by pampering it with a complete bolt by bolt overhaul. I dont think the Jeep is complaining. You have treated it well and I am sure it will treat you very well.

Hi Harjeev,

I agree with the words from Ironwolf.

Amen!!!!

Tarkesh
Old 5th March 2009, 22:49   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys
Day by day the D-Day is coming close!!!
I can't explain in words how excited I am. Its been a long... looong wait.

We guys NIOC are headed to Chandigarh for an OTR on Saturday. But I really wanted to get the jeep before that so that I could participate in the OTR.
But then I wouldn't have had any time to run in the engine and as jeeps generally take a about a month or so to set in, the next OTR for sure Ill be in my own jeep.

What's the consensus on that???
I guess we are all looking forward to the finished pictures.

Also are you guys staying overnight in Chandigarh ? Just one sugestion as Himachal is so close it would be a shame to miss the oportunity to go to say Kasauli or Chail. They do great tandoori parote at the Ross Common in Kasauli.
Old 6th March 2009, 08:30   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Hi Harjeev,

I agree with the words from Ironwolf.

Amen!!!!

Tarkesh
Quote:

@IronWolf
Thanks man. No need to envy.HAHAHA
Had you been in Delhi I could have helped you get the same kind of work done in your vehicle too.

This will give you guys an idea of whats going on in my mind

The think is that most people don't want to wait and get the vehicles going with the minimum work required and then address the problem.

Initially I though that I could wait, I now am just tired of the waiting game. Three months or 13 weeks is a pretty damm long time and people who bought their jeeps after me have been using theirs with no issues or little issues and that too within weeks.
Further you see the location of the workshop where I am getting my work done is about 120 kms to & fro from my home, and going there is a whole day project. Even getting there takes 90 minutes, and that too if there is not traffic.
Then going to the OTR's when you know that you have 3 jeeps at home and not have even 1 to drive at the OTR. :-(
Now you add all this together and you'll get an idea of what I am experiencing.

The only solace is that my family has been real supportive in all this especially my wife.
Also I have complete faith in my cousin, and I know that if there was any possibility of doing things faster, he would be doing that.

But I know this, after I get my jeep and in a couple of months I would be laughing after I re-read what I've written above.

So I am not sure how I will approach the restoration of my other two jeeps. But will not get it done before a long time now. atleast 10 months or so...

Quote:

Also are you guys staying overnight in Chandigarh ? Just one sugestion as Himachal is so close it would be a shame to miss the oportunity to go to say Kasauli or Chail. They do great tandoori parote at the Ross Common in Kasauli.
Satnam,
we guys are staying at a hotel on Chd-Zirakpur road.

I also suggested the same thing to the group, but as we are doing the OTR on sunday and monday is working for everybody we will have to rush back on sunday night itself.
But once I get my jeep, I might be making future plans for exploring northern india and will keep in mind about pranthas.
Old 6th March 2009, 11:49   #328
BHPian

Quote:

@bigman

Tandoori Paronthe / chinese at Ross Common and Ham Burgers at Daily Needs store in kasauli. I remember these two joints were famous among us Sanawarians. Our WOP would be at these places only. Brings back very fond memories.

Cheers !!!
Old 6th March 2009, 11:56   #329
Senior - BHPian

My gosh!!!
are these places that famous. If we are not visiting these this time around, next time I am in Chandigarh they are definitely on my itinerary
Old 6th March 2009, 12:02   #330
BHPian

Quote:
My gosh!!!
are these places that famous. If we are not visiting these this time around, next time I am in Chandigarh they are definitely on my itinerary
Harjeev,

Sorry

When we were in Sanawar, the only 4 joints that we went to were Ross Common, Daily Needs Store, Mashromlee and Gupta Stores. Ross common and Mashromlee was more for the chinese. Gupta stores was for bubble gums(Hubba Bubba) and Daily needs for the most amazing ham burger. It was made by freshly sliced ham. It still tastes the same even after 16 yrs.

Cheers !!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks