Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2009, 00:37   #481
Senior - BHPian

Is this the same Rubicon replica that was being built at that UP garage?

Jeep Thrills India » 22042009128

The rear looks a bit too busy for my liking but I guess each to their own.
Old 19th May 2009, 01:55   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Is this the same Rubicon replica that was being built at that UP garage?

Jeep Thrills India » 22042009128

The rear looks a bit too busy for my liking but I guess each to their own.
Hi Satnam,

Yes its the same Rubicon look alike that was being made in Harjeev's cousins place. But the final product does not impress at all. I did not like the front too, there is something weird about the bumper and fenders. Lets not talk about the rear. When the work was going on it seemed the jeep would look awesome but na. I guess its been raised too much and the tires dont compliment the height.

I guess it was suppose to look like the Jeep in the pics below. The rear storage area and all was an addition I think

Cheers !!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-back_34_lg.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-back_lg.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-side_lg.jpg  

Old 19th May 2009, 02:05   #483
Senior - BHPian

Hi Randeep,

Yes the front does look a bit out of proportion as well.

For me the rear is just an eyesore. Unless he really needed a luggage rack there was little point in commissioning such a thing. Too much effort has gone into that luggage contraption than getting the rear correct. Should have ditched the luggage thing and got the rear roll cage done properly.

I know the rubicon has those small fogs by the wing mirrors, but those hella compacts sure look a bit odd on this replica.

Randeep at least we have your Jeep to look forward to and Rickys should be all done soon. Also post some pictures of that 469 (after your next Jaipur visit). I think I have become infatuated with 469's now.

Last edited by bigman : 19th May 2009 at 02:14.
Old 19th May 2009, 09:43   #484
Senior - BHPian

Yes Randeep & Satnam
This is the same vehicle.
I can recollect the name of the owner as well as I recognise the place too. I spent all Sundays for 3 months at that place.
Old 23rd May 2009, 12:28   #485
Senior - BHPian

My MM550 is 2 weeks old today

My MM550 is 2 weeks old today

Hey guys
Update on the MM550

Today it has been 2 weeks since I got the 550 home so I thought that I might do a little writeup on the ownership experience so far
  • The vehicle has been behaving wonderfully, actually much better than my expectation.
  • There are no heating issues, that too when its more that 42-43 degrees celsius. Infact yesterday I drove t for about 50 kms or so in the heat and traffic and when I topped up the radiator today morning it was just half a liter of water or so. When driving on straight empty roads the temp stays at 80 degrees celsius and in traffic or when moving slowly it notches upto 90. I hope this is normal???
  • There were many small small issues, and i have got a large percentage of them resolved. so Ill just mention the ones that are pending
    • Clanking noise when the vehicle passes over potholes, and not only potholes but also when driving on a well paved road, the noise is very prominent
    • Oil pressure meter not working. The electrician says that the oil meter will have to be changed
  • Some modification/ additions/ cosmetics that I have planned are
    • The passenger side footrest does not seem right to me. But the denter says thatits ok. So I will wait for an OTR to see what others have to say
    • I want to add a footrest below the rear tow hook (whether its advisable, as I will be doing this purely for cosmetics???
    • Reverse light. Can this be added, I mean that as soon as I engage the reverse gear will the lamp switch on automatically or I will have to switch it on manually
    • Fog lamps between front bumper and the grille
    • The inside cabin light is of a very low power and want to increase the wattage
    • Cigarette lighter
    • DC-AC power inverter
    • A pair D-hooks (same as my 3B)
  • I have been driving the vehicle quite extensively, and have driven it for about 170-200kms or so. This is considering that I dont drive to my office and the heat wave in Delhi does not help you with your decision to drive the jeep these days.
  • The tyres have still not been delivered as yet and I am still waiting for the Apolo Bullets. Tomorrow I will be going to Noida and then will get the diesel toped up, so will get an estimate of the FE of the jeep.
So in a nutshell this is the experience so far.
Old 23rd May 2009, 12:43   #486
BHPian

My reply against yours in bold.
Have fun with your jeep. Complete the run-in and that get it to a OTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
  • There are no heating issues, that too when its more that 42-43 degrees celsius. Infact yesterday I drove t for about 50 kms or so in the heat and traffic and when I topped up the radiator today morning it was just half a liter of water or so. When driving on straight empty roads the temp stays at 80 degrees celsius and in traffic or when moving slowly it notches upto 90. I hope this is normal???
  • Yes I think so. Mine never crosses 80, its always at 1130 position and I think that is where it should be in most of the vehicles. Just a notch below vertical.
  • There were many small small issues, and i have got a large percentage of them resolved. so Ill just mention the ones that are pending
    • Clanking noise when the vehicle passes over potholes, and not only potholes but also when driving on a well paved road, the noise is very prominent
    • Check your suspension and shackles.
    • Oil pressure meter not working. The electrician says that the oil meter will have to be changed
    • shoudnt be a problem to get it working. Also should not cost you much.
  • Some modification/ additions/ cosmetics that I have planned are
    • The passenger side footrest does not seem right to me. But the denter says thatits ok. So I will wait for an OTR to see what others have to say
    • I want to add a footrest below the rear tow hook (whether its advisable, as I will be doing this purely for cosmetics???
    • It doesnt helpd in getting up. Get one on the side as it is in later model.
    • Reverse light. Can this be added, I mean that as soon as I engage the reverse gear will the lamp switch on automatically or I will have to switch it on manually
    • Yes can be. Infact the wiring should have a provision for it. Mine came with a working one. The reverse lamp is available for 80 bucks in mayapuri and is the same as front blackout lamp minus the blackout cover.
Old 23rd May 2009, 15:09   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reverse light. Can this be added, I mean that as soon as I engage the reverse gear will the lamp switch on automatically or I will have to switch it on manually
As vishwaschettri has written this is quite easy to add. The mm550 wiring loom has provision for a reverse light.

Did you fit a car type handbrake ? or stick with the normal jeep one ?
Old 28th May 2009, 13:54   #488
Senior - BHPian

Temperature meter
Behavior of the temperature is as follows
  • When driving in the daytime on a straight road it stays at 80
  • When in traffic it goes above a notch above 90
  • Yesterday I was coming from Gurgaon and on the toll road the wait time was about 15-20 minutes, so the temperature touch maybe 95 or so
  • BEfore and after the toll plaza the temperature was 80 flat. While driving at at speeds of 70 occasionally even touching 75 km/hr (measured on GPS and not the vehicle speedo) the temperature was 80-85
  • Couple of days back I was driving back from Noida in the night 11-11.30pm and the weather was pleasant, the temperature was 70-75
Oil pressure and Speedometer

• I bought a set of 5 instrument meters (Oil, Volt, Speedo, Temp & Fuel) for a price of 500. These were old meters off a disposal vehicle.
  • I had to change the oil pressure meter. While driving the needle stays at 2.5 and when I rev it barely touches 3. On idle it stays at 2 or less.
  • The old meter was not faulty but was not an electronic meter.
  • The speedo meter went gone kaput. But a strange thing was that the kilometer reading was changing but it was needle was stationary. I belive that the old meter can be repaired, so I will repair it and keep it as a spare.
Misc
  • I changed the inside cabin light to a more powerful bulb. Now the inside lights up like its daytime.
  • The reverse gear has a switch and its there in the wiring. So I will now buy a lamp and install it.
Old 28th May 2009, 16:57   #489
Senior - BHPian

Hi
I forgot to mention in the morning that my 550 is riding on new shoes now
Apollo Bullets
"7.50x16's" X 4 X 4600 ===> 18400/-

Here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_7551.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_7552.jpg  

Old 28th May 2009, 20:28   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hi
I forgot to mention in the morning that my 550 is riding on new shoes now
Apollo Bullets
"7.50x16's" X 4 X 4600 ===> 18400/-

Here are some pics
Harjeev,
Your Jeep is looking handsome.
What year of manafacture is printed on the tyre?
5 X 4600 = 23000 + Transport to Hyd = ?
Possible?
Regards,
Old 28th May 2009, 21:15   #491
BHPian

Dear harjeev, that tyres look real macho! As to your heating problem, I think it's simply because that yur engine is not yet run in. the proper temperature level for diesel engines in normal conditions is 80 degree. but in stop and go traffic conditions, the cooling gets insufficient as there is no external cooling of the radiator by the rush of air through the grill slats. Since the Jeep is maintaining 80 degree on high ways, I think you have nothing to worry about.What about a winch?
Old 28th May 2009, 21:52   #492
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Harjeev,

Tires look great. Hope they are of stronger compound than the Sand grips which tend to wear out faster on-road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
5 X 4600 = 23000 + Transport to Hyd = ?
Possible?
Regards,
Fazal, I am sure you can get these from your local Apollo dealer. You may need to order them but I am certain they can be send from the factory to the your nearest dealer.
Old 29th May 2009, 11:39   #493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Harjeev,

Tires look great. Hope they are of stronger compound than the Sand grips which tend to wear out faster on-road.

Fazal, I am sure you can get these from your local Apollo dealer. You may need to order them but I am certain they can be send from the factory to the your nearest dealer.
Harjeev,
I picked up 5 from the apollo dealer here, for the orange jeep 4 months back and have a standing order for 2 sets (10) but nothing from his end yet, after 3 months have passed.
Thanks,
Old 29th May 2009, 13:40   #494
Senior - BHPian

congrats Harjeev

tyres look really cool and i am hoping they are good in off-roading too considering their tyre pattern.

Cheers
Old 29th May 2009, 13:53   #495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Harjeev,
I picked up 5 from the apollo dealer here, for the orange jeep 4 months back and have a standing order for 2 sets (10) but nothing from his end yet, after 3 months have passed.
Thanks,
There must be a couple of Apollo dealers in Hyderabad ? If you have given any advance get it back and go to one of the other dealers. 3 months is bit of a long time to wait and there is no rubber shortage in the world.

The other thing you could try is phoning the local Apollo office in Hyderabad (040-24762133, 24751675, 24751676, 24751674 ) and tell them of the situation and that Onkar Kanwar (MD) told you to contact them . A few white lies can go a long way in helping you get what you want.

Last edited by bigman : 29th May 2009 at 13:56.

Most Viewed