Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2009, 11:24   #526
BHPian

Harjeev,

Please post your experiences getting your MM550 serviced at Sudhir Kashyap's workshop. This will be very helpful to NCR jeepers.

Cheers,
AarEmm
Old 18th August 2009, 14:03   #527
Senior - BHPian

Hi Rohit!!!
I am a little busy today!!! Will update the thread about the experience at the OTR and the 550 maybe tonight or tomorrow at the latest!!!
Thanks
Old 19th August 2009, 07:56   #528
BHPian

Wow! a nice collection of jeeps you have there.
And great passion for them.
Congrats
Old 27th August 2009, 10:32   #529
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys I am attaching some pictures of the RANGER's work ini progress!!!
please excuse me for uploading them so late I was a little tied up

Further I will be uploading a writeup later in the day about the work done in the workshop, my experiences at the OTR...

these pics were taken when I had given the Ranger for the clutch & P/Steering work
Attached Thumbnails
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-work-sudhir-kashyaps-workshop-13082009-22612-pm.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-work-sudhir-kashyaps-workshop-13082009-22634-pm.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-work-sudhir-kashyaps-workshop-13082009-23141-pm.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-work-sudhir-kashyaps-workshop-13082009-34529-pm.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-work-sudhir-kashyaps-workshop-13082009-34546-pm.jpg  

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-work-sudhir-kashyaps-workshop-13082009-34557-pm.jpg  

Old 27th August 2009, 14:12   #530
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev,

This is a M&M workshop right? Why do I see a Santro and a Indica in there?

Is the radiator OE? Did it come along with the Army Version, or did you upgrade it? Cost please? (need it Wrt to my CJ340 buildup)
Old 27th August 2009, 14:28   #531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Harjeev,

This is a M&M workshop right? Why do I see a Santro and a Indica in there?

Is the radiator OE? Did it come along with the Army Version, or did you upgrade it? Cost please? (need it Wrt to my CJ340 buildup)

Santhosh,

I think M&M came with Automart to buy and sell the used cars, eventually that was renamed to Mahindra First Choice Wheels Limited (multi brand pre-owned car company). Likewise the Mahindra First Choice Services Limited (Multibrand car service company), hence you can see Santro, Indica and honda etc.

This is a larger radiator and the tanks fitted vertical to the core, this radiator came along with MM550 Civilian and Military model. The fins are made with Aluminium (at least by looks).

You CJ340 radiator is of the Jeep one with the water tank on top and bottom. The fins are copper and tanks are made of brass.
Old 28th August 2009, 12:54   #532
Senior - BHPian

Report on the Ranger (MM550) after getting it back from the workshop/ OTR

Received the RANGER in the evening on friday (14th August) from the workshop.

Work done at the workshop
  • Complete Clutch system including bearings changed/ Overhauled
  • Both brake cylinders changed
  • Engine and gearbox mounts changed
  • The read left brake was leaking. Fixed. Whether this was leaking due to the brake cylinder or something else i wouldn't know
  • Power steering joints on the main rod/ shaft changed
  • Oil change/ oil filter, diesel filter, air filter changed
  • Suspension set (was drooping towards the LHS by 1-1.5")
  • Raditor was dirty, so it was flushed completely (the pictures I uploaded earlier was after the radiator was flushed)
  • Direction of the air intake pipe was changed (SK said that this way water wouldn't go inside the engine in case of water crossing)
  • Earlier the brakes needed to be pumped twice for effective braking. Now they are as the should be
Driving impression
  • The engine sound changed completely for the better. The engine now feels and sounds more free, earlier it used to sound and fell the the engine was working under pressure or as they say "dab ke chal raha tha"
  • Brakes are now perfect.
  • The vehicle did stall a couple of times, but after I got the hang of the new clutch release it worked flawlessly. Maybe I needed some time to get used to the new release mechanism.
  • The clutch now was as good as it can be. No effort required whatsoever and I wouldn't be wrong in saying that as good as my safari or Optra's
  • The power steering was also working great
  • Earlier on pushing the vehicle hard i.e. 'pedal to the metal' the Ranger used to achieve a max speed of 80 km/hr and barely used to touch 85 km/hr now when I was driving in the morning to the OTR venue I managed to touched 90-95 km/hr. I know that this can't be the correct reading and there has to be a speedometer error and also in OTR vehicles high speed is not the main concern. But I am trying to emphasise the fact that there is still an 11% improvement in the preformance of the engine.
During and after OTR impression/ observation/ Pending work
  • Fuel injectors need to be changed
  • Heater plugs weak. Need to be changed
  • The starter motor is giving issue and refuses to crank sometimes. Also I think that the alternator is not in the perfect of condition. the Amp meter shows that its charging all the time. And when coming back from Manesar after the OTR the vehicle stalled at the toll gate and the starter got jammed and din't crank just a loud 'click' and nothing. I had to push start it Will talk SK, if M&M's markup is high then I will send it to LUCAS directly but if the charges are not much extra I will prefer to leave the vehicle at the workshop and M&M can take care of dismantling the starter and send it to LUCAS on their own. Saves me a lot of headache and running around.
  • Power steering still not perfect when turning. Again the fluid was leaking from the pump.
  • Lhs door rattle
  • Tyres hitting the body while articulation
  • Oil leaking from the trf case/ Gearbox
  • Oil pressure light on
  • Handbrake lever
  • Windshieldrubber lining
Current status
I sent the vehicle to Sudhir Kashyap(SK) on Tuesday the 18th August. I have taken the decision of getting the alternator and the starter motor serviced from LUCAS and SK with take care of it
We have decided to replace the powersteering with a the new steering box from RANE. This I think should solve the issue of the frequent leakage from the pump!!! The p/s is not faulty as the oil only leaks at OTR's otherwise it works perfectly. So its up for grabs!!!

I haven't visited the workshop in two weeks and will go there maybe today evening or tomorrow and update the status.
Thanks
Old 28th August 2009, 13:51   #533
Senior - BHPian

Nice to go through your experience Harjeev, looks like quite a good number things were given attention to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
.....We have decided to replace the powersteering with a the new steering box from RANE. This I think should solve the issue of the frequent leakage from the pump!!!...
The most sensible decision I must say. No matter what, this type of PS can't simply be compared with the kind of PS set up we are normally used to. And its better to have a good quality standard set up. So how much does the new RANE steering box cost?
Old 28th August 2009, 16:09   #534
Senior - BHPian

Peace of mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Driving impression
  • Earlier on pushing the vehicle hard i.e. 'pedal to the metal' the Ranger used to achieve a max speed of 80 km/hr and barely used to touch 85 km/hr now when I was driving in the morning to the OTR venue I managed to touched 90-95 km/hr. I know that this can't be the correct reading and there has to be a speedometer error and also in OTR vehicles high speed is not the main concern. But I am trying to emphasise the fact that there is still an 11% improvement in the preformance of the engine.
During and after OTR impression/ observation/ Pending work
  • Fuel injectors need to be changed
  • Heater plugs weak. Need to be changed
  • Saves me a lot of headache and running around.
  • Tyres hitting the body while articulation
  • Oil leaking from the trf case/ Gearbox
Current status

We have decided to replace the powersteering with a the new steering box from RANE. This I think should solve the issue of the frequent leakage from the pump!!! .....
Harjeev,

Great to see your jeep taking good shape finally considering you have spent lot of money on it. Trust me you have come to right place.

Are you going back to manual steering setup? If it is a PS then how much is it costing you?

Why is your tyre hitting the fender? In which position?

Also you have changed the air intake pipe position to avoid water intake. Can you post the pic?

I have driven a NGCS mm550 Army XD new one and i did 100 kmph comfortably and i was not pedal to metal. It would have gone 10 kmph more. So you still have got some more leverage. Get your injectors cheked. Plus army tyres have higher rolling resistance hence lesser top speed.

Finally your running around to garages is taken care of. You have peace of mind!
Old 28th August 2009, 20:49   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
I have driven a NGCS mm550 Army XD new one and i did 100 kmph comfortably and i was not pedal to metal. It would have gone 10 kmph more. So you still have got some more leverage. Get your injectors cheked. Plus army tyres have higher rolling resistance hence lesser top speed.
I second vinod's view.
I do 120 (speedo indicated) regularly at DND on my 550. Also I have tested it for 110 with some steam left by driving along a friends modern sedan.
Though the way it behaves at 110 is a different story. Anything above 80 on a 550 and you are pushing your luck . I do it only when I can see the road empty till horizon!!

cheers
vishwas
Old 29th August 2009, 16:40   #536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
The most sensible decision I must say. No matter what, this type of PS can't simply be compared with the kind of PS set up we are normally used to. And its better to have a good quality standard set up. So how much does the new RANE steering box cost?
Thanks Somuen!!! I have just a vague idea on the cost part. It should be in the range of 6-7k and I think that its called the RANE's Manual Recirculating Ball Joint steering setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Harjeev,

Great to see your jeep taking good shape finally considering you have spent lot of money on it. Trust me you have come to right place.
Thanks buddy!!!
Are you going back to manual steering setup? If it is a PS then how much is it costing you?
Yes I am reverting the the Manual Steering setup. I think that its called the Manudal Recirculating Ball Joimnt steering setup!!!

Why is your tyre hitting the fender? In which position?
i have no idea
The front left tyre hits the fender when the vehicle is articulating, But it only did hit twice during the last OTR!!!
Also you have changed the air intake pipe position to avoid water intake. Can you post the pic?
I will remember to take pictures when I am at the workshop next, or I think I did take a picture before sending the 550 to the workshop, I might have it in my brothers camers. Will check tomorrow and upload if I have it!!!
The fuel injectors are weak and they will be changed!!!
What tyres were on the NGCS MM550 that you drove???
Finally your running around to garages is taken care of. You have peace of mind!
Tell me about it. in the past 15 days I have been to the workshop only twice and this is when both my jeeps are there The MM550 as well as the CJ3B and I am loving every moment of it!!! Nothing to worry about, no running around and the best part is the quality of work being done Ill like to say the best in its class!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
I second vinod's view.
I do 120 (speedo indicated) regularly at DND on my 550. Also I have tested it for 110 with some steam left by driving along a friends modern sedan.
Though the way it behaves at 110 is a different story. Anything above 80 on a 550 and you are pushing your luck . I do it only when I can see the road empty till horizon!!

cheers
vishwas
Vishwas
I think that once I get the injectors changed I try to see what speed I can manage!!! But again as I said earlier that I am more concerned and give more weight to the reliability of the vehicle than the kind of speeds that I manage to achieve. You see even on my 2.2 Safari DiCOR I seldom cross 80-90 km/hr when on the highways!!! I feel very comfortable in speeds of 80ish!!! But still its always better to know what ones vehicle is capable of doing!!!
Old 31st August 2009, 09:27   #537
BHPian

Thanks a ton for sharing your experience on the work done at SK's workshop and the details of the work done.
Old 31st August 2009, 10:20   #538
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Harjeev and all - this once again proves that - "THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO DO A JOB AND THAT IS THE CORRECT WAY". I would like to state that I am happy that we (Sudhir and I) have been of help to you and that we have "WALKED THE TALK" by actually demonstrating to you that the vehicle now runs better, more fuel efficient, environmentally friendly and customer acceptable.

Now let me raise the bar and make the next statement - what if I tell you that "NOTHING WILL HAPPEN TO YOUR VEHICLE. YOU WILL JUST ADD FUEL AND DRIVE. THAT'S ALL". How does this sound? Good? We'll see.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS - in my mothertongue which is Gujarati, there is a saying - "jena kaam te kare, bija kare to gota khaye", means "whose work it is, he will do it, if somebody else does it, he will falter".
Old 31st August 2009, 11:02   #539
BHPian

Dear Behram Sir,
Let me introduce my self . This is srinivas worked as a analyst ( buyer perspective )for auto show ( BBC – wheels ) for 2000-2002.
I have been closely watching this tread for last couple of month. This is very inspiring for 4 X 4s. Can we assume that Kashaysp Sir’s workshop is the place to do the things right in the first attempt. I am sure he is the best person for this type of task.
I am ready to buy a 550 from army auction can go to Kashayp sir’s work shop and do the things roght at one go. Can we do this ? please advise .

Regards
Srinivas

Last edited by Jaggu : 31st August 2009 at 11:17. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please do a preview before posting and avoid cut pasting from external font editors. Thanks
Old 31st August 2009, 17:43   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpatra View Post
Dear Behram Sir,
Let me introduce my self . This is srinivas worked as a analyst ( buyer perspective )for auto show ( BBC – wheels ) for 2000-2002.
I have been closely watching this tread for last couple of month. This is very inspiring for 4 X 4s. Can we assume that Kashaysp Sir’s workshop is the place to do the things right in the first attempt. I am sure he is the best person for this type of task.
I am ready to buy a 550 from army auction can go to Kashayp sir’s work shop and do the things roght at one go. Can we do this ? please advise .

Regards
Srinivas
if the answer to the above question is a big YES, then we can say that the official 4x4 workshop/service centre for MM 540/550 exarmy vehicles is Mr. Kashyap's workshop in delhi!

im sure there will be a waiting list shortly to get their ex-army jeep done up at Mr. Kashyap's place!

Most Viewed