Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2008, 22:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

Congrats.! going all the way to delhi to buy a jeep? Man! thats crazy.

Please keep us updated and don't forget your camera during the make-up process.

congratulations again.
Old 21st December 2008, 22:58   #17
fk7
BHPian

Hi,

I do have some questions for people who know about Calicut. Any good mechanic you can suggest for changing the jeeps entire electrical cables?

Also any mechanic to make the jeep run after checking all mechincal components?

What are your suggestions about the Mahindra Authorized Service Center? Are they good or hopeless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
Hi FK,

Congrats on your buy. After a long search, at last you put your hand on and excellent machine!

So whats your plan. Keep in original condition or do some mods like hydra jeeps?

How much the transportation costs from Delhi to Calicut?

Also did you spoke to RTO people about the registration? Is it easy or do they need some 'under table' transfers!!

If everything is ok and smooth, I will stop my search and follow same way as what you did.

tks/sali..
Thx Sali. I do intend to turn the jeep into a good offroader and keep the mahindra elements as much as possible. The registration process is quite easy (according to a relative who has enquired for me). I dont think any under-table is required. Transportation to calicut on a maruti trailer is 18,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I have seen this "body tilt" on 3 or 4 mm5**s now. None of the answers have satisfied me. How is a Jeep tub (body) fastened to the chassis? Are there rubber bushings that might have rotted out? Are there bolts that need to be adjusted to height?

Anyway, looks like a good purchase. Good luck with it and thanks for getting specific about shop names and people. That helps others.

-DD
Thx for the info, that is quite a relief to know its not a major problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
congrats on becoming a JEEPER!

Dude you showed some heart and came all the way to delhi to find a jeep, bought it and shipped it back to your place....that the stuff JEEPERs are made of....and you showed it!

dont worry about the tilt of the jeep's tub....its got loose from the chassis after all the punishment it got from the army!

good luck with the restoration....keep us updated with PHOTOS!

cheers:
I will not be seeing the jeep for the next 6 months. Pretty hard it is to be away and not be there for the mods. Anyway, what to do. But Iam not planning any major mods currently.

Planning to do only the electricals and make the jeep mechanically good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post

congratulations again.
Not as crazy as it sounds actually. I had a good deal on the travel expenses and all in all worked out to be a better deal than most 540/550 available in South India.

FK
Old 22nd December 2008, 11:42   #18
BHPian

Wow, its raining JEEPs in Team-BHP now a days. Congrats fk7, all the best for your restoration.
Old 22nd December 2008, 12:41   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fk7 View Post
Hi,

I do have some questions for people who know about Calicut. Any good mechanic you can suggest for changing the jeeps entire electrical cables?

Also any mechanic to make the jeep run after checking all mechincal components?

What are your suggestions about the Mahindra Authorized Service Center? Are they good or hopeless?

FK
Hi Firoz,

Since you are doing only the basic things to make the jeep works perfectly, I think the best place is go to the M&M Authrized service center. Though the price is a little bit bigh compared to the local mechanics.

Once you done the the over all check-ups later on you can do the other modifications with some other place where the price is cheep.

Keep in mind that use only original parts if needed

tks/sali.

PS where you from Calicut?

Last edited by Salikt : 22nd December 2008 at 12:43.
Old 22nd December 2008, 15:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thats some enthusiasm! Hats off for going this extent to have your dream jeep. May god bless you with the best levels of mechanics and workshops who can turn this into a great vehicle. That would be a proper justice for your effort.
Old 22nd December 2008, 16:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

FK that is some dedication you got there. Great going. Sad that you wont be seeing the jeep for sometime but hope you dont have much problems in restoring this vehicle
Old 22nd December 2008, 20:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post

congratulations again.
Hi SirAlec,

The main reason bcoz we don't have an Army disposal sale in our area (south). So not an easy task to get such a piece on hand

tks/sadiq
Old 22nd December 2008, 20:42   #23
BHPian

Hi FK,

What about your Jeep's gear setup? Is it a 4+1 or 5+1. I red some where here that Army jeeps has got only 4+1 setup, is it true in your case?

tks/sadiq.
Old 23rd December 2008, 08:39   #24
fk7
BHPian

Quote:
Hi FK,

What about your Jeep's gear setup? Is it a 4+1 or 5+1. I red some where here that Army jeeps has got only 4+1 setup, is it true in your case?

tks/sadiq.

The gear setup is 4+1 and i think the 5+1 came in later model vehicles.

Quote:
Hi SirAlec,

The main reason bcoz we don't have an Army disposal sale in our area (south). So not an easy task to get such a piece on hand

tks/sadiq
The above point is very true. It is quite tough to get an army disposal in south, even though acutions are held in Chennai and Bangakore. The guy at Mayapuri even said that he gets vehicles through someone located in a junk market behind some cinema in Chennai. Thats the first I have heard of a junk market in Chennai. Wonder where it is.

Thanks to all for your support and help and I hope to get my vehicle restored into a prime piece soon. I am heavily inspired by Faizaladil's white 540 and don't be surprised to see mine similar to that.

Any suggestions and inputs from all of you are very welcome.

FK
Old 23rd December 2008, 15:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The gear setup is 4+1 and i think the 5+1 came in later model vehicles.

The above point is very true. It is quite tough to get an army disposal in south, even though acutions are held in Chennai and Bangakore. The guy at Mayapuri even said that he gets vehicles through someone located in a junk market behind some cinema in Chennai. Thats the first I have heard of a junk market in Chennai. Wonder where it is.

Thanks to all for your support and help and I hope to get my vehicle restored into a prime piece soon. I am heavily inspired by Faizaladil's white 540 and don't be surprised to see mine similar to that.

Any suggestions and inputs from all of you are very welcome.

FK
I think he is referring to Pudupet - u can google for Pudupet and know better about whats availabe there
Old 25th December 2008, 00:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I will not be seeing the jeep for the next 6 months. Pretty hard it is to be away and not be there for the mods. Anyway, what to do. But Iam not planning any major mods currently.
FK
i think same situation will take place with me if i buy the jeep from this guy, i will buy the jeep and give it for restoration and then come back to Dxb and might not see it for next 6-9 months!

anyway will wait for your regular updates...photos or no photos!

cheers:
Old 30th December 2008, 18:34   #27
BHPian

Hi FK,

What is the current status of your jeep? Does it reached in Calicut or still in Delhi? Any progress with the registration process?

I want to know how smooth are things before moving forward
sadiq.
Old 30th December 2008, 18:45   #28
fk7
BHPian

hi sadiq

the vehicle is in transit from delhi to calicut. i can tell you about the registeration process only after two weeks, once the vehicle has reached calicut and the vehicle made road worthy.

regards

FK
Old 30th December 2008, 18:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i will buy the jeep and give it for restoration and then come back to Dxb and might not see it for next 6-9 months!
Please dont do that. I've learnt the hard and expensive way that 'restorations' cannot be remotely managed.

BTW - since you're in DXB, why dont you catch up wtih the gang sometime?
Old 8th January 2009, 13:22   #30
fk7
BHPian

Happy news !!! MY MM550 has reached calicut in top shape. The transportation and delivery was excellent and right now is resting at a workshop where all missing parts / faults are to be identified.

The current plan is to make the make the jeep into running condition and then get it registered. By running condition I mean, only enough will be done to make the vehicle move, stop and pass the RTO inspection.

I have too many pictures, so instead of uploading them all, please visit the link to see the current status of the vehicle. Getting it registered is top priority.

Experts, I need all your help. If you can find any or all faults from the pictures please list them for me.

Picasa Web Albums - Firoz - MM 550

I will soon be starting a separate thread for my restoration work. If anyone has any pictures of an actual military MM550, both interior and exterior please pass them on. I need a reference point while building this vehicle to its former glory.

Regards

FK

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks