Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2008, 18:30   #31
BHPian

Great one!

Hey Great Jeep there man!

Another inspiration for us still deprived ones!

If possible, post a cost breakup and the details about the interiors.

Happy Jeeping!

Vinay
Old 22nd December 2008, 19:01   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hi Tini,

Since you already have a small turbo in that motor (mainly for emissions) I am wondering if it would be relatively easy to plonk in a bigger Garrett with an intercooler. The crankshaft is massive and I think this ole tractor motor could handle it.

You would have a Thar thumper.
Old 22nd December 2008, 21:12   #33
BHPian

Hi 4X4,

How the A/C works in a softtop jeep? Does the cooling effect at the back side too? From where do you source the A/c? Brand new or from another vehicle? How much the cost. Please post some interior pics as well.
Old 22nd December 2008, 23:28   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Since you already have a small turbo in that motor (mainly for emissions) I am wondering if it would be relatively easy to plonk in a bigger Garrett with an intercooler. The crankshaft is massive and I think this ole tractor motor could handle it.
Would it be that easy? plug and play with a bigger turbo? That "if" would need a lot of homework.

I have limited knowledge but i think it would involve a lot more.
Old 23rd December 2008, 02:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Would it be that easy? plug and play with a bigger turbo? That "if" would need a lot of homework.

I have limited knowledge but i think it would involve a lot more.
Spitfire, go and look at 4x4addict's first post and take note of the complexity of the things he has already done. I.T. people are sort of like gods that bestride and walk the earth like giants.
They can do anything.

My point is that he may already have much of what he needs. Take a look at his own picture. You pop that shiney thing out and pop a bigger shiney thing in. And you throw in an intercooler. How hard can that be? (Geeez, I hope Berham does not see this post!)
Attached Thumbnails
Making of Legend.. My MM540 Mods-engineturbocharger-401-x-308.jpg  

Last edited by DirtyDan : 23rd December 2008 at 02:19.
Old 23rd December 2008, 07:13   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I.T. people are sort of like gods that bestride and walk the earth like giants.
They can do anything.

My point is that he may already have much of what he needs. Take a look at his own picture. You pop that shiney thing out and pop a bigger shiney thing in. And you throw in an intercooler. How hard can that be?
Yup DD, As simple as can be, after all its only nuts and bolts: LOL

BTW, I dont belong to IT
Old 23rd December 2008, 13:40   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Spitfire, go and look at 4x4addict's first post and take note of the complexity of the things he has already done. I.T. people are sort of like gods that bestride and walk the earth like giants.
They can do anything.

My point is that he may already have much of what he needs. Take a look at his own picture. You pop that shiney thing out and pop a bigger shiney thing in. And you throw in an intercooler. How hard can that be? (Geeez, I hope Berham does not see this post!)
Dear DD, there is a disadvantage with popping in a bigger shiney thing. it will not respond at low rpm where as the smaller one is very responsive at low rpm. the working rpm range is different for both. smaller one has less turbo lag and will not give enough boost at higher rpm and bigger one has more turbo lag and suits only for higher rpm. There are turbos available in market with the combination of both. thats two stage turbo. this has an advantage of VGT and less complex than VGT. and throwing an intercooler is easy but placing it at appropriate place is very difficult.
Old 23rd December 2008, 15:50   #38
BANNED

Quote:
You pop that shiney thing out and pop a bigger shiney thing in. And you throw in an intercooler. How hard can that be? (Geeez, I hope Berham does not see this post!)
Ok i got the joke.

Is the new CRDe based on the same DI Turbo engine? If it is then by a long shot cant the intercooler off that engine modded to fit on this engine?

I need to take a closer look at the new CRDe engine in the Bolero. I am just speculating here for now.
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:02   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok i got the joke.

Is the new CRDe based on the same DI Turbo engine? If it is then by a long shot cant the intercooler off that engine modded to fit on this engine?

I need to take a closer look at the new CRDe engine in the Bolero. I am just speculating here for now.

Sir, I hereby confer to you "The Highest award" in automotive engineering!
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:04   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Ok i got the joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sir, I hereby confer to you "The Highest award" in automotive engineering!
Thank you oh great winner of an OTR. Check the first line of that post before jumping around.

It was meant for DD.

The jokes on you sir. You fell for it. I cant stop laughing.

Talk about taking things personally lol.

Last edited by Spitfire : 23rd December 2008 at 16:07. Reason: Forgot to add the 2 smileys..lol.
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

You call that a joke? Sad! Real Sad
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:22   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok i got the joke.

You can use almost any intercooler that you can find a place for as long as it is big enough to do the job. It works like a radiator only it cools air instead of coolant. Combustion is much better if the air pumped into the cylinder is cooled and not heated by the air pressure the turbo generates. In a small turbo this is okay. Not much heat is generated. But a bigger one needs an intercooler to cool the input air from the turbo.

Variable turbos mean computer chips and sensors and I do not think 4x4addict wants that. A little lag of a bigger turbo may be tolerable. If he wanted to get real jiggy he could use the existing smaller one to feed into the new bigger one but that introduces complexity.

Spitfire, I am speculating, too. 4x4addict knows it.
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:23   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Spitfire, I am speculating, too. 4x4addict knows it.
@DD: Dont take that post seriously, before you could answer, the great one OTR winner replied and i had a good laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
You call that a joke? Sad! Real Sad
Yeah especially because the one you tried to make exploded on your face. Anyways it wasnt meant for you.

Last edited by Spitfire : 23rd December 2008 at 16:29.
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:52   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the great one OTR winner replied and i had a good laugh.
@spitfire: I am the winner of one competetion OTR and theres no denying that.

But atleast I dont speculate on stuff that are not possible and post on a forum in the name of a JOKE.

We know the one who laughs, and who he laughs at!

Quote:
Yeah especially because the one you tried to make exploded on your face. Anyways it wasnt meant for you.
I thought the forum was for public read! It is Sad that uninformed people try to speculate!

Anyways, Its time I rest my case, atleast with your posts. Please continue your Joke!

Old 23rd December 2008, 17:02   #45
Senior - BHPian

DD, I'm surprised (even as a joke) you'd talk about plonking a bigger turbo in the engine.
How are you gonna fuel the extra boost(especially that this is not electronically fuel injected) and moreover the bigger turbo would give more boost at the cost of increased lag.
Intercooler is not going to mess much except that it will create a slight drop in pressure in lieu of the charge air cooling.

Most Viewed