Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2008, 17:06   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Yup DD, As simple as can be, after all its only nuts and bolts: LOL
BTW, I dont belong to IT
All IT people are gods. Not all gods are IT people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
@DD: Dont take that post seriously, before you could answer, the great one OTR winner replied and i had a good laugh.
Maybe we could make Headers an honorary IT person, get him a t-shirt or something cheap and inconsequential like that?

Anyway, the turbo manufacturers usually have tables and data on their products so that their customers can "right size it" and sometimes they also sell appropriate intercoolers.
Old 23rd December 2008, 17:32   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
@spitfire: I am the winner of one competetion OTR and theres no denying that.

But atleast I dont speculate on stuff that are not possible and post on a forum in the name of a JOKE.

We know the one who laughs, and who he laughs at!

I thought the forum was for public read! It is Sad that uninformed people try to speculate!

Anyways, Its time I rest my case, atleast with your posts. Please continue your Joke!

I dont know what you are going about? The post you replied to by trying to be sarcastic by giving some name to me was not meant for you in the first place. You still were tickled to reply to it and got an egg on your face. I dont know why you had to get personal there.

It was a joke pure as that you were never targeted the way you tried to pull one on me.

Also if you know more then others try to be humble, dont go picking on everyone here. And its not only this post or thread.

I only know you won one OTR and i appreciate it knowing the challenges a Jeep Thrills competition would involve but if that gives you bragging rights on everything technical good for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Maybe we could make Headers an honorary IT person, get him a t-shirt or something cheap and inconsequential like that?
I am too small a person to do any of that. But next time you are around Bangalore or i manage to get up north the beers on me.

MODS: Please delete all my unneccassary posts in this excellent thread by 4x4addict. I apologise to all but one for making a mess in here. I have saved the print screen of the posts for myself.

Last edited by Spitfire : 23rd December 2008 at 17:49.
Spitfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2008, 19:23   #48
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately the original thread is lost. Perhaps mods should intervene to bring back the Jeep.
Old 23rd December 2008, 19:45   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

oh oh !

Looks like I have to start another thread ;-)
Old 24th December 2008, 00:20   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
You can use almost any intercooler that you can find a place for as long as it is big enough to do the job. It works like a radiator only it cools air instead of coolant. Combustion is much better if the air pumped into the cylinder is cooled and not heated by the air pressure the turbo generates. In a small turbo this is okay. Not much heat is generated. But a bigger one needs an intercooler to cool the input air from the turbo.
Dan you read my mind. I am ordering an intercooler from Force dealer and plan to add it. The problem though it is that the engine bay is pretty much full and I don't have much space for it. I got this idea from Ram who installed one one in his Judo 4x4. See the pictures.

My SPGM gallery
Old 24th December 2008, 00:46   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Dan you read my mind. I am ordering an intercooler from Force dealer and plan to add it. The problem though it is that the engine bay is pretty much full and I don't have much space for it. I got this idea from Ram who installed one one in his Judo 4x4. See the pictures.

My SPGM gallery
from the pictures i could see that the setup is not very effective as the cooler is not at all exposed to the air. If it is a coolant to air cooler, then it could be placed anywhere, but an air to air cooler placement should be as similar to a radiator. or else to get best out of intercooler is to design a bonnet scoop as in the new scorpio.
Old 24th December 2008, 00:46   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am ordering an intercooler from Force dealer and plan to add it. The problem though it is that the engine bay is pretty much full and I don't have much space for it.
Dont know if this is the same engine on the Major 4x4 Turbo. If it is, we saw one at the Cochin Airport the other day where the chap had an intercooler in between the radiator and the grille - in fact we noticed it because of this extra attachment that was plainly visible inside the grille.

Or is the intercooler standard on that vehicle?
Old 24th December 2008, 00:54   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Dont know if this is the same engine on the Major 4x4 Turbo. If it is, we saw one at the Cochin Airport the other day where the chap had an intercooler in between the radiator and the grille - in fact we noticed it because of this extra attachment that was plainly visible inside the grille.

Or is the intercooler standard on that vehicle?
Guess it could be A/C radiator also if that chap had installed AC in his JEEP.
Old 24th December 2008, 00:58   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua
A/C radiator

You mean The condenser?
Old 24th December 2008, 00:58   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Guess it could be A/C radiator also if that chap had installed AC in his JEEP.
Nope it was an open ragtop, cannot possibly have an a/c with tarpaulin (or similar stuff that M&M puts on their soft-tops) to cover the windows and rear 'hatch'.

Did that vehicle come with an intercooler as standard, though? There is enough space between the grille and the radiator to put a couple of subs in there, so if it wasnt standard thats one space 4x4addict could look at.

It didnt look like factory fitment - the intercooler wasnt mounted in a straight line either veritically or horizontally, it was slightly teda and looked like it had been put in there in a hurry. But then this is a Mahindra Major, so you really cant rule out factory fitment.

Last edited by Steeroid : 24th December 2008 at 01:15.
Old 24th December 2008, 01:02   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post

You mean The condenser?
Sorry yes its the condenser!
Old 24th December 2008, 03:38   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Ok i got the joke.

Is the new CRDe based on the same DI Turbo engine? If it is then by a long shot cant the intercooler off that engine modded to fit on this engine?

I need to take a closer look at the new CRDe engine in the Bolero. I am just speculating here for now.
Its based on XD3P I think
Old 24th December 2008, 07:15   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My SPGM gallery
That s some nice pictures. The intercooler location is nice but tight!
Old 24th December 2008, 08:40   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think it makes sense to install the intercooler in the front as the turbo hose will become too long to the intercooler and back resulting in reduced efficiency of the turbo. I had to lower the radiator since the DI Turbo engine sits slightly lower than the 2.1 eingine. I am trying to see if I can make some space above that. As i mentioned the space is tight under the hood.

The best place in my opinion is to have it on top of the engine and cut the hood to make space for air to hit the intercooler from the top. This way you can mount it exactly between the turbo on and air intake without increasing the length of the air hose. Basically if you look at the pictures of my engine. I would replace the metal tube that goes from the turbo on the left of the engine to the air intake at the right of the engine with the intercooler.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 24th December 2008 at 08:55.
Old 24th December 2008, 09:09   #60
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

My point of interest is the following:

1. What potential gains are you expecting out of adding a intercooler?

2. How do you plan to increase fuel supply. If the air is cooler, then the density increases, but so must the fuel to maintain the A/F Ratio. Do you plan to add any sensors?

3. The DI turbo does not have an ECU, right? So how do you plan to read the engine and its inputs.

Also, instead of an intercooler, why not just look at a CAI filter? It should simply matters and plumbing.

Last edited by headers : 24th December 2008 at 09:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks