Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2020, 14:58   #1441
BHPian

Re: All Team-BHP 4x4 Jeep Pics!

Posting a few pics of my ex-army jeep all stock with the hurricane engine. Will let the pics do the talking
Attached Thumbnails
All Team-BHP 4x4 Jeep Pics!-jeep3.jpg  

All Team-BHP 4x4 Jeep Pics!-jeep5.jpg  

All Team-BHP 4x4 Jeep Pics!-jeep4.jpg  

silverblaze is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 08:43   #1442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverblaze View Post
Posting a few pics of my ex-army jeep all stock with the hurricane engine. Will let the pics do the talking
What a beauty 👍 Looks like it came out of the factory.... total original good job done with the hood.Can you share where the work was done n what all has been done
P.SINGH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 15:41   #1443
BHPian

Thank you ! I picked up the jeep last year from a collector based in Gurgaon. the previous owner had completely restored it from ground up. After picking up the jeep i changed the wheel bearings, Spark plugs, installed a new Solex carb kit, installed an oil gauge and replaced the lubes. It runs like a dream ! I have also stocked up some spares which are hard to come by just in case.

Last edited by silverblaze : 26th November 2020 at 15:46.
silverblaze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 16:35   #1444
Senior - BHPian

About 18km S.E. of Dharamsala, H.P. on a ridge near the front range, facing the N.W. Winter is spectacular here. It's nice to have a 4X4 to take you up to heaven. Not many people around so no virus worries. Lots of oxygen in the air put out by millions of pine trees.

We cover our board numbers in pics because some members of this site have gotten challons and court summons via mail from the police in places the members have never even been near. These accuse members, who have displayed number boards on this site, of being at fault in serious accidents and incidents. Dare I say, some officials make "mistakes"....$$$$
Attached Thumbnails
All Team-BHP 4x4 Jeep Pics!-dsc02963.jpeg  

All Team-BHP 4x4 Jeep Pics!-dsc02948.jpeg  

DirtyDan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 18:46   #1445
Senior - BHPian

In the above Photo you can see two stalks with white markers sticking up from both sides of my front bumper. These are plastic-rubber markers mounted on springs. You will see a lot of big trucks using these to guide their driving. They give a nice visual reference of where that hidden left front fender and bumper of the Jeep really is. These help a lot in tight places e.g. crowded narrow market roads. Note lower left of photo.
Attached Thumbnails
All Team-BHP 4x4 Jeep Pics!-dsc02810-1.jpeg  

DirtyDan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 16:30   #1446
Senior - BHPian

Trying to Buy a Jeep in the Netherlands
(Mods please feel free to move if this is not the right place for this)

It has been a long time since I was active on the TBHP, just for the fact that I have been cycling past 2.5 years rather than driving in The Netherlands, and finally decided to jump into the Jeep madness which has been a life long aspiration after having learnt to drive on the 70's Mahindra Jeeps.

In the Netherlands where I am based now, there is a version of the Willys M38a1 called the Nekaf M38a1 Jeep which are fully functional and maintained in the range of 5000 to 7500 Euros

I have zeroed on to a 1956 model with about 60K Kms. on the ODO.

Brand: Willys Jeep
Construction year:1956
Model: Nekaf M38a1 Jeep
Body: SUV or all-terrain vehicle
Fuel: Gasoline
Transmission: Manual transmission / 4x4
Power:98 hp
Price: 4950 Eur (appx. 4.5 Lacs at todays rate)

The best thing is that it is exempt from Road Tax which is pretty high here (around 150-200 Eur a month for a similar new vehicle)

The downside is that it cannot be taken in many parts of the cities like Amsterdam & Hague on account of pollution norms.

Need help with the Jeepers here on the checklist on what to look for and what all tests and questions to ask considering I don't have the luxury to take a friendly neighborhood mechanic along with me (I have seen some checklists in the past) on what to check before putting in my money.
Attached Thumbnails
All Team-BHP 4x4 Jeep Pics!-_86-1.jpg  

m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 22:17   #1447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post

In the Netherlands where I am based now, there is a version of the Willys M38a1 called the Nekaf M38a1 Jeep which are fully functional and maintained in the range of 5000 to 7500 Euros

I have zeroed on to a 1956 model with about 60K Kms. on the ODO.

Need help with the Jeepers here on the checklist on what to look for and what all tests and questions to ask considering I don't have the luxury to take a friendly neighborhood mechanic along with me (I have seen some checklists in the past) on what to check before putting in my money.
Firstly, do you really believe this vehicle has only been driven 60,000km since 1956? No, sir, that just ain't so. That is googaplex light years beyond the Milky Way believable. Either the Odometer is not original or the jeep has driven passed the 100,000km mark and started over again at 0, maybe several times, or both.

Secondly,
When you purchase ANY vehicle, ancient, used, new... anywhere, you had better know how to get good mechanical service and how to get parts for the particular vehicle you are interested in. You need a plan, BEFORE purchase. I hate to dampen your enthusiasm but YOU have to get eyes-on help locally. Trusted expert help. We can't help you much with this from India. Be smart, good luck.
DirtyDan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 11:17   #1448
Senior - BHPian

1956 to 2020 is 64 years, and even if driven 3,000 km/year it is nearly 1,90,000 km. So the ODO must have reached max and rolled over at least once if not twice or thrice.

If you are not a DIY type and have never dabbled in car repairs, then you definitely need
. Good mechanic to service and repair it.
. Access to spare parts.

In EU labour is expensive, so you may bleed Euros in just maintaining the old Jeep (not that they do not in India). The initial euphoria of low cost and no road tax will soon give way to large cash outflow. That is the reason that apart from DIY or extremely rich, people buy new vehicles - the total cost of ownership is much lower.

In short, avoid such old vehicles if you are not a DIY type with extensive experience and an even more extensive set of tools and garage. It is just not worth it.
Old 9th December 2020, 11:53   #1449
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Try and speak to Jeroen, a D Bhpian here and an afficiando of all motor vehicles antique. He is based out of the Netherlands if am not mistaken. Good luck!

Unsolicited suggestion: If I were you, I would just get myself a used modern 4x4 ute and be done with it.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 20:07   #1450
Senior - BHPian

Winter is extraordinary at the Front Range. You can get into snow easy enough here. I use Michelin LTX tyres. Big knobby tyres with big lugs may be great for mud but they are not good for snow generally. For snow you need a lot of edges that bite into snow and ice. Michelin LTX has them and it's also a fine HWY tyre.
Any place that really requires chains I just don't go to. It's too bothersome and these tyres do well enough mostly.

I put diesel fuel conditioner into my tank if I intend to spend much time upstairs in the cold. Diesel fuel will gel up in very cold weather and turn into a semi-solid. This will stop you..cold. It's also way hard to thaw out. So, just a little precaution especially as I am not sure what, if anything, fuel stops here do to their fuel to condition it for winter. You can also put a little gasoline in your tank to keep your diesel fuel from gelling. Very little...and how much is not an exact science, so I use this stuff in moderation. It does not noticeably effect engine performance.
Attached Thumbnails
All Team-BHP 4x4 Jeep Pics!-dsc03015.jpeg  

All Team-BHP 4x4 Jeep Pics!-dsc03092.jpeg  

All Team-BHP 4x4 Jeep Pics!-dsc03150.jpeg  

DirtyDan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 20:54   #1451
Distinguished - BHPian

Always love your pictures up in the mountains Dan. If I make it up there in the coming year, will give you a holler. Have spent some time in Dharamshala in prior years. Lovely country.
Old 11th December 2020, 21:31   #1452
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all the valuable inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Firstly, do you really believe this vehicle has only been driven 60,000km since 1956?

When you purchase ANY vehicle, ancient, used, new... anywhere, you had better know how to get good mechanical service and how to get parts for the particular vehicle you are interested in.
I agree, it would be 200K Kms if not more, so for the initial enthusiasm, probably it is newly painted and refurbished and looks can be deceptive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
1956 to 2020 is 64 years, and even if driven 3,000 km/year it is nearly 1,90,000 km.

In short, avoid such old vehicles if you are not a DIY type with extensive experience and an even more extensive set of tools and garage. It is just not worth it.
Spot-on on the observations, and while I am pretty hands on with all things mechanical, electrical and electronic, (maintained my Scorpio for 4 years after the end of the extended warranty myself, with little help from the neighborhood garage), in this foreign land it will be impossible to replicate what can be done back home and may end up bleeding Euros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Try and speak to Jeroen, a D Bhpian here and an afficiando of all motor vehicles antique. He is based out of the Netherlands if am not mistaken. Good luck!

Unsolicited suggestion: If I were you, I would just get myself a used modern 4x4 ute and be done with it.
| will do both, but a modern (even used) 4 x 4 is pretty expensive to buy and run here due to original cost, road tax and insurance. Thinking of leasing a decent sedan and may be I can rent a 4 x 4 if ever needed.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 18:19   #1453
Senior - BHPian

They don't have to be ultra high to be beautiful. This fellow to the left tops out at around 9,000 feet and there is more to him, hidden from view. This is near Chamunda, H.P. midway between Dharamsala and Palampur. This place is 20 minutes from my house so I am partial to it.

But don't come here. Go to Leh, Ladakh via Srinagar or Manali. It's even bigger, bolder and more beautiful up that way. The Nubra valley is like another planet and getting there is half the fun. Good jeep country. Must be, yaks like it.
Attached Thumbnails
All Team-BHP 4x4 Jeep Pics!-dsc03186.jpeg  

All Team-BHP 4x4 Jeep Pics!-dsc03201.jpeg  

DirtyDan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 01:25   #1454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
This is near Chamunda, H.P. midway between Dharamsala and Palampur. This place is 20 minutes from my house so I am partial to it.
My OCD doesn't allow me to enjoy your pics with a rag covering the number plate in most of the pics. Does anyone else feel that way?
@Dan, if you find it cumbersome to mask the number plate during post, I volunteer to do it for you
Jaguar is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 19:23   #1455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
My OCD doesn't allow me to enjoy your pics with a rag covering the number plate in most of the pics. Does anyone else feel that way?
@Dan, if you find it cumbersome to mask the number plate during post, I volunteer to do it for you
I am having a dispute with Apple and their notions of a photo editor. Hence the rags. I will try to minimize the effect of the utterly disgusting rag I have used. I will opt for a false plate, an earth tone uninvasive rag and/or a small black hole causing a visual light shift making the plate unreadable.

I see that this concerns and troubles many of you greatly. Life is harsh and I really don't want to add to anyone's burden. As a temporary measure, I suggest that you down load my pictures and alter them on your own machines to suit yourselves until such time as I vanquish the offending mindless Apple techies or vaporize them with my quad carburator death star.

Occasionally the atmospherics blot out everything but the white peaks which then seem to float in the air unsupported. Almost like that this day. India can take your breathe away with its beauty.
Attached Thumbnails
All Team-BHP 4x4 Jeep Pics!-dsc03208.jpeg  

DirtyDan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks