Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2009, 17:27   #46
BANNED

Superb. Looking forward to seeing you in action.
Old 2nd January 2009, 23:47   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Congrats man. So, this was the one pavan was talking about. Great. i am curiously waiting to see it in action + the jeep in the new color of your choice.
No sir this is a 1955 willys, which Santosh is doing up at the same place where my VW Bus is getting restored, The willys i was talking is a 1943, a different one.
Old 22nd January 2009, 09:19   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

@Santosh: What's happening with your Jeep? Status update and weekly report is overdue sir.
Old 22nd January 2009, 14:48   #49
BHPian

Thanks Vinod, mjothi, hrag. Even I can't wait to do some off-roading. Will get the Jeep in the next OTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Santosh, can you please tell me who did your electrical work on the jeep? Can you also PM me your mobile number as I would like to see the electrical work done on your jeep. Mine needs a revisit (I have a '59 CJ3B).

How much did this battery cost you? And how many years of warranty is it? I had gotten a one year warranty Amaron battery and it went phut 10 days post the warranty period. I am also looking for one very small part (the front nightlight cover over the bonnet amongst a few other things). Lets patch up, maybe we can hunt together
I got the electrical work done locally and he has done a pretty good job, I shall introduce you to him. The Powerzone battery cost me Rs.3500 and has a 1 year warranty. It is a good idea to hunt for these together. Anyways, on most Saturdays, I am either in Shivajinagar or Siddiah Road Gujari hunting for old spares or on JC Road buying new spares. I have just PMed you my number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
@Santosh: What's happening with your Jeep? Status update and weekly report is overdue sir.
Thanks for bumping this thread Shahnawaz. I feel guilty not having updated it for so long. Will try not to let this happen again :-). There has been very little progress on actual work done on the Jeep, but had a few problems, lots of DIYs, learnings, mild off-roading experiences and also some success with sourcing spares. I shall put up a pictorial update when I am back from the Munnar OTR.
Old 4th February 2009, 02:35   #50
BHPian

As promised, here are some updates:

Firstly updates on problems:

Fuel Pump and Carbuerator: My Willys did not have the original mechanical fuel pump when I bought it. It came with an electronic Fuel Pump but I am having problems with these since Day One. They either get heated up and eventually stop working or they leak petrol heavily. Inspite of replacing them thrice (they come with a 6 month warranty and am on my 3rd fuel pump), I am having to carry an extra Fuel Pump with me all the time. I am also having perennial problems with my Carburator, either the mixture becomes too rich or there if flooding or leaking. Also, sometimes over inclines, I lose throttle. I tried sourcing some from the local Gujari, but they did not work. Luckily, UBS has offered to send me a NOS Fuel Pump and a good serviced Solex Carbuerator.

Dynamo: My Jeep came with the original 'Autolite' Dynamo, a 6-volt later converted to 12-volt somewhere during the last 50 years or so. While the Dynamo still works fine, the charging is not sufficient especially at night when I run headlamps. I will be getting the Dynamo checked at Ruby Electricals. In the interim, I am running a loaner 40 Amp/h rated Alternator from a Maruti 800.

Contact Breaker Ignition (Points): I need your suggestions on this one. The Points Distributor (Delco in mechanic slang) in my Jeep is off an Ambassador. When tuned up well, the engine is a pleasure to drive, smooth and zero noise. I would like to continue using this, but I found the points system on my Jeep to be very problematic and requires re-adjusting very often. FYI, I am still running CB points on my RD350 motorcycle but do not have so may problems. Could this be a problem with my Delco or is it recommended to go in for a CDI conversion like Vivek(RAINMAKER) has done here? I am a DIY-er and am willing to learn the ways of a points system if that is the best performance wise, but I would also like to drive my Jeep trouble free. So, please let me know your thoughts on this.

Now for the update on a few accessories/parts that I procured:

Handbrake: I managed to procure a NOS Handbrake ['J' Handle with cable] off ebay USA. I was little hesitant shipping it to India, but thanks to a tip from t-bhpian Gotzuk - "Keep the cost + shipping below $100 and it will be delivered straight to your door". I received the parcel within a week without any of the usual dramas with customs, bribe et all. I need some more related spares to be able to get the handbrake to work. Luckily, I have t-bhpians to help me. Jammy (MM440) has offered to help with sourcing new brake liners for the hand-brake. Raghavendra(Pavan_Kadam) has figured out [from another CJ3B] how the handbrake works. He has also taken pictures that will help me. UBS Sir has been kind enough to help me source any spare that I am missing to get the handbrake to work. An interesting feature is that the hand-brake is connected to the drive-line and not to rear-wheels like in most vehicles. This has been explained in great detail here on the CJ3B page. Here are some pictures:

Just out of the Parcel envelope
My Willys CJ3B-dsc05389.jpg

Test fitted on my Jeep
My Willys CJ3B-dsc05373.jpg

This is how it looks when engaged. To disengage, one has to turn the handle in any direction and push the handle back in.
My Willys CJ3B-dsc05374.jpg

Classic Back Off Mudflaps: I first saw these more than ten years ago on a modified Gypsy belonging to a rally enthusiast. The Gypsy was done up with several parts from USA by Raj Hingorani (Drag Racing Fame). Since then, I wanted them on an off-roader that I would eventually own. You can see first signs of my buying them on Post #31 here more than 6 months ago (Yes, even before I had an off-roader...LOL). They are rare, so I kept watching ebay and bought them in July last year and had them shipped to my friend's place in US. He arrived with them last week. Well, what can I say - Can't arrive at a better time....Well worth the wait!!. Can't wait to see them fitted on my Jeep. Here's a pic

My Willys CJ3B-dsc05388.jpg

Jalwa Horns: I always try and visit the local Automobile Flea Market in any city that I visit. I was in Chennai last month and visited 'Pudupet' to see if I am able to find any spares for my Willys. Although, I did not get any spares, I did manage to get an accessory which was on my list - "Jalwa Horns". These horns are extremely loud but not harsh. Infact, they sound like a Ship's horn. These will undergo a sand-blast + paint treatment and tuning if required.
My Willys CJ3B-dsc05390.jpg

KC Daylighters: Although, I first saw KCs on the same Gypsy that I saw the "Back Off" mudflaps on, I did not get a chance to see its performance. I did witness its working on a friend's Maruti 800 when we were returning by night to Bangalore from a trackday at Sriperumadur some 8 years ago. I was totally sold for their performance wanted to have them on a vehicle sooner or later. These lights live up to their name, they are "Day" lighters so much so that you feel handicapped(for a few minutes) after you switch them off and drive with normal headlights. I felt my American Willys should have them, so bought a pair of KC Daylighters Offroad Lighting System from the US, they will be reaching me by end of this month. These are off-roading lights and have a label on them "Not for use on US Highways". I shall use them responsibly:-)

Some of you may be confused as to what I am trying to do with the Jeep. Sometimes, I say I want the Willys to be restored to its originality but here I am buying accessories that to seem to defy the originality theme. Well, this is what happens when you give an almost original 1955 Willys to an auto enthusiast - An enthusiast who is a boyish racer at heart but strayed into T-bhp's "Vintage Cars & Classics" section by mistake and liked it there. During this phase, t-bhp decides to add more flavour to my already split personality by introducing a 4x4 section sometime mid last year. This boyish racer cum classic automobile lover then sees pictures of an off-roading event at Kelambakkam quarry, gets hooked and joins the long list of wannabes. Well, the boyish rallyist kept saying "Gypsy", but the alter ego(s) decided on what was the natural choice - A Willys CJ3B.
- A Willys which can be used the way a Jeep should be
- A Willys which can remain a legendary classic as long as originality is maintained
- A Willys which can easily adorn boyish accessories, but only those that can be easily reverted back will be installed

So, the Jeep will be restored to its originality but will have some accessories that can be removed easily if I decide to participate in a classic car show. My Willys will continue to play two roles interchangingly - one of an offroader and the other as a classic automobile. The theme will be "American Jeep", so I will try to keep most accessories/parts will be American.

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 4th February 2009 at 02:47. Reason: Fixed Attachments as they were not displayed
Old 4th February 2009, 12:37   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
As promised, here are some updates:
Some of you may be confused as to what I am trying to do with the Jeep. Sometimes, I say I want the Willys to be restored to its originality but here I am buying accessories that to seem to defy the originality theme. Well, this is what happens when you give an almost original 1955 Willys to an auto enthusiast - An enthusiast who is a boyish racer at heart but strayed into T-bhp's "Vintage Cars & Classics" section by mistake and liked it there. During this phase, t-bhp decides to add more flavour to my already split personality by introducing a 4x4 section sometime mid last year. This boyish racer cum classic automobile lover then sees pictures of an off-roading event at Kelambakkam quarry, gets hooked and joins the long list of wannabes. Well, the boyish rallyist kept saying "Gypsy", but the alter ego(s) decided on what was the natural choice - A Willys CJ3B.
- A Willys which can be used the way a Jeep should be
- A Willys which can remain a legendary classic as long as originality is maintained
- A Willys which can easily adorn boyish accessories, but only those that can be easily reverted back will be installed

So, the Jeep will be restored to its originality but will have some accessories that can be removed easily if I decide to participate in a classic car show. My Willys will continue to play two roles interchangingly - one of an offroader and the other as a classic automobile. The theme will be "American Jeep", so I will try to keep most accessories/parts will be American.
Look at the time of posting this reply

Too much sleep is lost by this boyish rallyist on the CJ3B. The willys is sure too happy to have found a owner like you
Old 4th February 2009, 13:05   #52
Team-BHP Support

WRT CB points, i suggest you move to an electronic system, its reliable consistent and piece of mind. Once set up properly performance will be as good or even better than the CB point system.
Old 4th February 2009, 16:58   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
WRT CB points, i suggest you move to an electronic system, its reliable consistent and piece of mind. Once set up properly performance will be as good or even better than the CB point system.
Thanks Jaggu, maybe I will do just that. Now, what is the criteria for choosing an Electronic CDI Unit? Is it Cubic capacity? I have heard that the Contessa CDI Unit is very reliable and performs well. Would it be better if I use a CDI Unit from an Esteem (Carb or MPFi) since it is a later model? How do I know which one will suit the nature of the 'Hurricane' engine in my Jeep?
Old 19th March 2009, 02:01   #54
BHPian

S@~+#0$# , you acquired a great Jeep to start a project with. I've seen a lot worse, if not beyond repair vehicles being fully rebuilt. Keep this in mind and please stay as close to original as possible.

Cheers and good luck
Old 21st May 2009, 22:27   #55
BHPian

What an amazing thread.

Santosh, you're one lucky bum. an awesome find and a super jeep.

3B's and 3A's dont enjoy the same kind of fan following as a Ford or an MB (just as yet). As result of which many get destroyed/modified and the works. Its great to know of one thats being saved and cherished.

I myself am looking for one with little luck so far... Hopefully will start a similar thread when in get one. The knoledge pool on this site with the likes of UBS and others is fantastic.

PS: I really like the blue and white color combination. Just like a 3A owned by a well known jeeper.
Old 22nd May 2009, 07:55   #56
Senior - BHPian

Nice Jeep sir, just ensure you dont go overboard with redefining the character for the dual role you are looking at.

I've had a similar feeling with my gypsy and finally decided to keep it for pure "off road".

cheers
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:06   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attari View Post

I myself am looking for one with little luck so far... Hopefully will start a similar thread when in get one. The knoledge pool on this site with the likes of UBS and others is fantastic.
There are 3-4 3B's for sale in Mayapuri but the asking price is atrocious. But if you really interested checkout Mayapuri.
Old 23rd May 2009, 12:10   #58
Senior - BHPian

How does a Lambada free wheeling hub perform on the Jeep against the stock hub that comes on Cj3B's ?
Old 27th May 2009, 16:35   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMkd View Post
S@~+#0$# , you acquired a great Jeep to start a project with. I've seen a lot worse, if not beyond repair vehicles being fully rebuilt. Keep this in mind and please stay as close to original as possible.

Cheers and good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Nice Jeep sir, just ensure you dont go overboard with redefining the character for the dual role you are looking at.
Thanks JeepMkd and Headers. I think I have gotten over that thought of deviating from original (eventhough they were all easily reversible changes). I shall keep it as close to original as possible.

Quote:
What an amazing thread.

Santosh, you're one lucky bum. an awesome find and a super jeep.

3B's and 3A's dont enjoy the same kind of fan following as a Ford or an MB (just as yet). As result of which many get destroyed/modified and the works. Its great to know of one thats being saved and cherished..
Yes, the fan following for the Legendary Ford GPWs and Willys MB is huge (including myself) and there are several well-preserved examples of them.
Buying an original Ford or Willys MB was\is currently beyond my means. Like I have said before on this thread itself - Someday, definitely in this lifetime, I will own a WW II Jeep :-).

You are right, it has become increasingly difficult to find an original LHD Petrol Civilian 3B or 3A and yes, I was lucky to get one that too an early 3B. I will do my best in preserving my jeep.

Quote:
All the very best Attari. Don't stop searching, try out remote areas in your state and neighbouring states. Awaiting your thread :-)

Quote:
PS: I really like the blue and white color combination. Just like a 3A owned by a well known jeeper.
Thanks Attari. I know the one that you are talking about. That 3A is in a class of its own just like its master. You are talking about UBS's 3A right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
How does a Lambada free wheeling hub perform on the Jeep against the stock hub that comes on Cj3B's ?
The Lambda free wheeling hubs are no different from stock in terms of performance. They work as expected and I have had no issues so far.

I have not updated this thread for a while now. I shall prepare a detailed writeup and post it ASAP.
Old 1st June 2009, 23:06   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
I think I have gotten over that thought of deviating from original (eventhough they were all easily reversible changes). I shall keep it as close to original as possible.

I have not updated this thread for a while now. I shall prepare a detailed writeup and post it ASAP.
Good you want to shed your racer-boy image when it comes to your Willys.

And much nicer to know that you would get your Willys to its original glory.

Why dont you share your present details on the Willy boy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks