Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2008, 17:59   #31
BHPian

Hi Santhosh
The jeep looks really cool with the top chopped off,you are off to a good start I must say. Am out of town at the moment,but papers are with dad now duly transferred in his name.Found the left side fender that I had promised you,will give you the right hand one when i find it.
All the best with the jeep.
Cheers
Jammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
My dream of owning a Left Hand Drive Short chassis jeep finally came true. I now possess a 1955 Willys CJ3B. It is a 3B with the original Petrol Engine, 3 + 1 Gearbox & 4x4 intact. The jeep has a lot of original stuff like Willys Stamped radiator grill, bonnet and Tailgate (folding downwards type).

I will be documenting my repairs, upgrades and restoration on this thread. So, I seek your valuable inputs.

I’ll let the pictures do the talking

Continued....
Old 26th December 2008, 23:30   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
Wow, thats a lovely JEEP santosh, congrats on such a rare find. A stock LHD Willys Petrol with the F134 Hurricane engine is awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Congrats Santhosh! This experience is an adventure by itself! Enjoy!
Thanks Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
Did you check the 4x4 by any chance ?? I would be surprised if the 4x4 is working properly. Most of the people remove the propeller shaft to get better milage.
PAVAN_KADAM and I already experienced the 4x4, it still works like a dream. I will be trying some mild off-roading during the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
This Jeep has a LPG Aftermarket Conversion' fit on it... Now thats a first any one would have seen

Great Jeep none the less.

PS - Are you planning to keep the LPG Kit??

Regds
Santosh
Already removed the LPG Kit for good, only the switch is there as of now. It will get removed when I get the wiring harness made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM440 View Post
Hi Santhosh
The jeep looks really cool with the top chopped off,you are off to a good start I must say. Am out of town at the moment,but papers are with dad now duly transferred in his name.Found the left side fender that I had promised you,will give you the right hand one when i find it.
All the best with the jeep.
Cheers
Jammy
No worries Jammy. Let me know when you are back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Santosh.

Congrats buddy. Hope you get to restore it to your dream

Vijay
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Wow - now that's what I call a real Jeep. It reminds me of MRG7962 which was a 1971 model CJ3BLHD4WD with the F4134 hurricane engine. I used to use it when I was a trainee in 1980. Please restore it to pristine condition.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thanks Vijay and Behram Sir. This is the picture I often visualise for my 3B. I will do my best.
Picture Courtesy: CJ3B Page
Attached Thumbnails
My Willys CJ3B-jeepright.jpg  

Old 30th December 2008, 01:42   #33
BHPian

On Sunday, I was able to tick off two things in my list of "things to do":

Firstly, I got new electrical wiring done. The existing wiring worked fine but it was a mess, had lots of joints and most importantly did not have a fuse box. Also, I wanted to have all the lights, horns and indicators working thus making my 3B road-worthy. So, here is a list of what has been done yesterday and some work today:
  1. Replaced all switches to heavy duty pull type Switches
  2. Changed the Ignition Key set
  3. Changed and focussed the existing headlamps to Autopal beams(curved glass to maintain original lines of sealed beams). The existing set had faded and one of the halogen bulbs required replacing as low beam was not working.
  4. Upgraded to 90/100 Watt Kit with new Halogen bulbs (Mico Bosch)
  5. Got dipper switch installed (operated with left leg)
  6. Got all lights, horns, indicators and tell tale lights to work. Hazard also works.
  7. Entire wiring harness made with additional wiring provided for additional horn and additional driving lights
  8. Got fuse box installed
Note: Originality is very important to me and will be addressed in the grounds up restoration later next year. So currently my focus is on trying to make the Jeep reliable, road worthy and easy to use without making any drastic changes that can't be undone at a later stage. I have taken care that no new holes in the dashboard were drilled.

I shall post pictures of the electrical work as I do not have pictures of the completed work.

Secondly, I installed the Lambda Free Wheeling Hubs myself while the electrician was working on the wiring. The instructions provided by Lambda are very easy to understand. The install only takes about 15 minutes. It took me about 30 minutes because I did not have a circlip plier to expand the circlip, so had a tough time putting the circlip back. Here is how the Jeep looks with the Free Wheeling Hubs fitted:
My Willys CJ3B-image143.jpg

Here are some pictures of my DIY:

My Willys CJ3B-image130.jpg

Circlip before cleaning
My Willys CJ3B-image139.jpg

My Willys CJ3B-image138.jpg

My Willys CJ3B-image142.jpg

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 30th December 2008 at 01:43.
Old 30th December 2008, 08:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hey good to see the jeep coming up good.
How much did you pay for the FWH and can you get them easily??
Old 30th December 2008, 10:42   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey good to see the jeep coming up good.
How much did you pay for the FWH and can you get them easily??
Thanks Harjeev
Yup, easily available. I have PMed you the address of the Lambda dealer in NCR. You can get more details on pricing, contact details etc on thread below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...ubs-jeeps.html
Old 30th December 2008, 11:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Harjeev
Yup, easily available. I have PMed you the address of the Lambda dealer in NCR. You can get more details on pricing, contact details etc on thread below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...ubs-jeeps.html
Thanks Santhosh
I already have FWH on my MM550 but this info would come handy when I will start restoring my CJ3B.
Also I had inquired at mayapuri FWH (used one) go for approx 1500 a pair and are easily available.

Is there any harm of using old vs new?
Old 30th December 2008, 23:23   #37
BANNED

Nothing to beat the DIY Satisfaction level.

Good to see the jeep getting back to atleast what we can call it "DECENT SHAPE"

Keep the good work going Santosh.
Old 31st December 2008, 11:38   #38
BHPian

Nice looking Jeep, the same jeep which ew have seen in old movies used by the cops to chase the thugs. Nice one and almost in pristine condition indeed.
Old 31st December 2008, 11:42   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Santosh, Many many congrats again on this beauty of a jeep. Look forward to seeing this beauty in action at an OTR.
Old 31st December 2008, 15:40   #40
Senior - BHPian

Treebark brown poly gets my vote. This color hides dust and dirt and seems to accentuate all the curves and equipment. Man, I love the elegance via simplicity of these swb jeeps. Highly functional, highly pretty.
Old 31st December 2008, 18:46   #41
BHPian

To keep the orginality please change both Fenders also. Willys Jeep has got flat fenders and never got that type of fenders (front slopped). I think its from a mahindra jeep.

sali
Old 2nd January 2009, 00:43   #42
BHPian

Update: I bought a 12V 90Amp maintainence-free battery for my 3B yesterday. It is a brand called "Powerzone" and is from the makers of Amaron i.e., Amara Raja Batteries. From the looks and feel of it, it looks like a fantastic product, comes highly recommended by Jammy who uses it in his Jeeps. I am out of town until Sunday. Will fit it once I am back and post more post-install pics and other details.
My Willys CJ3B-image147.jpg

Today, Raghavendra and I went to the Shivajinagar Gujari and Siddiah Road Gujari looking for things in my "To do" list. Did not find anything, but have found some contacts who deal in Jeep spares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Is there any harm of using old vs new?
I am no expert, but there should not be a problem using old as long as they still work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Nothing to beat the DIY Satisfaction level.
, Although this DIY was a small "follow the instructions" kind, it helped me understand a few things/ The sense of achievement and satisfaction in a DIY is truly a great feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Good to see the jeep getting back to atleast what we can call it "DECENT SHAPE"

Keep the good work going Santosh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemanth View Post
Nice looking Jeep, the same jeep which ew have seen in old movies used by the cops to chase the thugs. Nice one and almost in pristine condition indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Hey Santosh, Many many congrats again on this beauty of a jeep. Look forward to seeing this beauty in action at an OTR.
Thanks for your nice words Raghavendra, Hemanth and Shahnawaz
@Shahnawaz: Surely, you'll see me. Even I am waiting for an OTR to experience the capability of this machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Treebark brown poly gets my vote. This color hides dust and dirt and seems to accentuate all the curves and equipment. Man, I love the elegance via simplicity of these swb jeeps. Highly functional, highly pretty.
DD, this color is high up on my list of color choices, I still have time to decide, let us see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
To keep the orginality please change both Fenders also. Willys Jeep has got flat fenders and never got that type of fenders (front slopped). I think its from a mahindra jeep.

sali
Yes Sali, I think the fenders are from a recent model Mahindra Jeep. As of yesterday, Jammy(MM440) has found both the original shape fenders, he will be giving them to me shortly. I will then paint the fenders in the "old police blue" until the time comes for my "grounds up" restoration.

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 2nd January 2009 at 00:48.
Old 2nd January 2009, 16:07   #43
Senior - BHPian

hi santosh,
Congratulations on your rare find and all the best for your restoration project!!! Jeep looks lovely:-)
Old 2nd January 2009, 16:17   #44
Senior - BHPian

Congrats man. So, this was the one pavan was talking about. Great. i am curiously waiting to see it in action + the jeep in the new color of your choice.
Old 2nd January 2009, 17:01   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On Sunday, I was able to tick off two things in my list of "things to do":

Firstly, I got new electrical wiring done. The existing wiring worked fine but it was a mess, had lots of joints and most importantly did not have a fuse box. Also, I wanted to have all the lights, horns and indicators working thus making my 3B road-worthy. So, here is a list of what has been done yesterday and some work today:
  1. Replaced all switches to heavy duty pull type Switches
  2. Changed the Ignition Key set
  3. Changed and focussed the existing headlamps to Autopal beams(curved glass to maintain original lines of sealed beams). The existing set had faded and one of the halogen bulbs required replacing as low beam was not working.
  4. Upgraded to 90/100 Watt Kit with new Halogen bulbs (Mico Bosch)
  5. Got dipper switch installed (operated with left leg)
  6. Got all lights, horns, indicators and tell tale lights to work. Hazard also works.
  7. Entire wiring harness made with additional wiring provided for additional horn and additional driving lights
  8. Got fuse box installed
Santosh, can you please tell me who did your electrical work on the jeep? Can you also PM me your mobile number as I would like to see the electrical work done on your jeep. Mine needs a revisit (I have a '59 CJ3B).

Quote:
Update: I bought a 12V 90Amp maintainence-free battery for my 3B yesterday. It is a brand called "Powerzone" and is from the makers of Amaron i.e., Amara Raja Batteries. From the looks and feel of it, it looks like a fantastic product, comes highly recommended by Jammy who uses it in his Jeeps. I am out of town until Sunday. Will fit it once I am back and post more post-install pics and other details.

Today, Raghavendra and I went to the Shivajinagar Gujari and Siddiah Road Gujari looking for things in my "To do" list. Did not find anything, but have found some contacts who deal in Jeep spares.

I am no expert, but there should not be a problem using old as long as they still work.

, Although this DIY was a small "follow the instructions" kind, it helped me understand a few things/ The sense of achievement and satisfaction in a DIY is truly a great feel.

Thanks for your nice words Raghavendra, Hemanth and Shahnawaz
@Shahnawaz: Surely, you'll see me. Even I am waiting for an OTR to experience the capability of this machine.

DD, this color is high up on my list of color choices, I still have time to decide, let us see.
How much did this battery cost you? And how many years of warranty is it? I had gotten a one year warranty Amaron battery and it went phut 10 days post the warranty period. I am also looking for one very small part (the front nightlight cover over the bonnet amongst a few other things). Lets patch up, maybe we can hunt together

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks