Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2009, 16:43   #76
BHPian

Let me know if you dont find the dipstick. I might have a spare one
Old 8th April 2009, 22:17   #77
Senior - BHPian

@Brutus
I will really appreciate this. The old fuel tank has been welded and repaired from four places. It is completely useless and cannot be repaired. Will upload the pics tomorrow.

Update
I went to Mayapuri today evening. The jobs/status so far is
  • Mechanically the vehicle is complete
  • the petrol tank has still not arrived. Is expected tomorrow
  • I have finalised with the electrician and he will start and finish the job tomorrow. The complete wiring harness will be put new
  • The rear seat has been made and delivered to the fabricator
  • New meter and gauge will be bought as the speedo is not original
  • The denter should finish the job tomorrow (he has to fix the steel bars for the hood, front rhino hook and D hooks) and some other small small jobs
  • The suspension job will be done day after. I will just get the leaf's recalibrated for now. But if the shocks are an issue wiill change all of them too.
  • I will be buying a refurbished alternator as the one in the 3B is not in a good condition.
This is basically the gist of the progress. Will keep updating as and when the work progresses.
So basically if the fuel tank arrives on time I shouuld have the 3B in a couple of days. max by monday as I am not in delhi on friday and saturday, and sundays Mayapuri is closed. So monday it is.
Old 8th April 2009, 22:56   #78
BHPian

@ Harjeev - get the shocks changed as well. I don't think that the original gabriel will cost you more than 400 a piece.

cheers
vishwas
Old 8th April 2009, 23:11   #79
BHPian

Just drop me a line when you come to chd, and i'll find it from the parts storeroom.

A petrol tank is very difficult to cme by and chances are that the tank you'll get is a diesel one, and the dipstick won't fit on that. You would probably have to use an adapter, if not cut if off and put the patrol tanks nut on it .
Old 9th April 2009, 11:10   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
@ Harjeev - get the shocks changed as well. I don't think that the original gabriel will cost you more than 400 a piece.

cheers
vishwas
OK if its not that expensive, I will surely change them, all of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus View Post
Just drop me a line when you come to chd, and i'll find it from the parts storeroom.

A petrol tank is very difficult to cme by and chances are that the tank you'll get is a diesel one, and the dipstick won't fit on that. You would probably have to use an adapter, if not cut if off and put the patrol tanks nut on it .
I met the guy yesterday evening and he said that he is buying a petrol tank only and that is why its taking so much time. He also said that if I wanted a diesel one that he can get right away!!!
How do I make sure that the fuel tank he gives me is a petrol only??

Also I was thinking yesterday night, What if I get the old one repaired and not buy a new one???
Is that workable???
The condition of the old fuel tank is such that from the underside patches have been put at four places. It is that part which touches the floor of the jeep...
Please advise
Old 9th April 2009, 11:55   #81
BHPian

harjeev, Try to put Mahindra pick up's shocks for better road holding.Did u get the OE- wiring harness.
Old 9th April 2009, 16:13   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
The condition of the old fuel tank is such that from the underside patches have been put at four places. It is that part which touches the floor of the jeep
Well, this is where these tanks always rust because this is where water gets accumulated, especially if there is a canvas or other type of cloth or probably a big strap-patta (this is what they used to use until someone put some sence into them and asked them to use rubber instead) underneath the tank, which soaks the water hence even makes it more prone to rust. Since this area is not reachable at all without removing the tank, therefore its probably always rusted in an auctioned jeep, and worse, it also takes the floor and the hat-channels along with it.

It no use getting the old one fixed. I mean if it was damaged from the top. there was still a chance to get it right, but since these get rusted from the bottom, fixing it wont get you nothing, since sooner or later, especially since its going to be a bumpy offroader, the brass welding will crack and its going to piss. Even mine was in a bad shape and i am useing a diesel tank now.

I dont know how many differences are there in the petrol and diesel tanks since they look almost identical, but the surest way of finding out is from the upper nut. This nut, where in the petrol tank the dipstick is screwed in, and in the diesel tanks the banjo bolt from the fuel return line is bolted, is different in both tanks. Now, this nut in the diesel tank, since it utilizes a standard size bango bolt, is way to big and wide for the ditstick to be screwed in so it very loosely hangs about, and the same ways the bango bolt would'nt screw in the petrol tanks because its too big for the nut hole.

I had searched kashmiri gate, most of the major stores in punjab and himachal and in ganganager(this dealer is a wholeseller from jaipur), even Dabwalli where i was hoping to find it since most of the johgardhu jeeps there use a rear mounted tanks, but i never found the tank so just beware of what you get, coz it could also be a spurious part, or even a diesel tank with the nut removed and a petrol units nut welded on and painted over.

Last edited by Brutus : 9th April 2009 at 16:22. Reason: left some things out
Old 9th April 2009, 17:21   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Brutus - petrol is corrosive, diesel is not. Therefore petrol tank is made from a material known as "terne plate". Diesel tank is made from normal sheet metal. Terne plate does not get affected by water accumulating at the bottom of the tank. If you use diesel tank for petrol application, it will rust very quickly. I know that if you cannot get a petrol tank you have no option but to use a diesel tank but this is only for your information.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 9th April 2009, 18:12   #84
Team-BHP Support

Or try getting one of the fiber petrol tanks and ensure you give some skid plate protection to it
Old 9th April 2009, 19:16   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Brutus - petrol is corrosive, diesel is not. Therefore petrol tank is made from a material known as "terne plate". Diesel tank is made from normal sheet metal. Terne plate does not get affected by water accumulating at the bottom of the tank. If you use diesel tank for petrol application, it will rust very quickly. I know that if you cannot get a petrol tank you have no option but to use a diesel tank but this is only for your information.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thank you, but the funny part is that the tank never has any petrol left in it. I mean if you use a petrol jeep, you would only fill her up when you take her out, and that for me is once is a couple of months. Otherwise the lids of these tank are never a tight fit, and the fuel constantly get evaporated.

No seriously, it was just a temperory fix until i find a petrol tank, just like its still standing in the same shoes that it wore about 15yrs back since i'am looking for 7.00x16 MRF's or BKT's. The gas tank is the reason why i still collected the dipstick. I do have a feeling that i'll be able to find one in calcutta, but that i'll be able to find out only when i go to get my jonga.

Thanks a lot once again,. I had no idea about the metallurgy. I do know that petrol pumps are forced to change tanks every 10-15 yrs because to this issue.
But tell me something sir,can it be possible to still reliablably use the diesel tank after getting it galvanized like motorcycle tanks are?
And are Army jerrycans too made of this material or just ordinary steel? I would think ordinary steel since they are'nt supposed to contain fuel full time like an internal tank does, and occasional usage would'nt make much difference.
Regards,
Bikram
Old 9th April 2009, 19:25   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Or try getting one of the fiber petrol tanks and ensure you give some skid plate protection to it
I dont trust fiber too much. I think its way too brittle, though it can be made stronger by epoxy. Even if it is, yaar, the pre '75 jeeps are iron beasts, with i think no parts made of plastic(even the indicators lens is glass), although i migh be wrong. Even rubber parts (leaving aside the tires) constitute very little, and i would'nt even blame them since the jeep was made for war, a time when rubber is used for more important things. I really would not want to ruin it by using anything else.
Although i agree with you that as far as reliablity is concerned, its going to serve a better purpose.
Bikram
Old 18th April 2009, 12:01   #87
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys
I have been busy over the past week, that’s the reason that I haven’t been able to update this thread.

Alot has happened since I wrote last.

Petrol Tank issue
I had no luck with the original fuel tank, so I purchased a desi tank and put that. In the meantime the spare part guy is on the lookout for a new petrol tank, and as soon as he finds one I will take it and put it as a spare.

The Hood and the Seats
As I wrote last, I got the rear seats frame fabricated new from Mayapuri itself. I found and bought an original driver seat. The passenger seat is the same that came with the jeep. All the seats have been fabricated and covered with the army print seat covers

Electricals
The re-wiring has been with all old fittings changed
The front D hooks and rhino hook has been fixed.

Delivery Day

On Tuesday the 14th, I was in Mayapuri for the whole day and after a little this and a little that, finally I got the jeep at 8 in the night. I can tell you all that the small-small things take the most time. And the most difficult part is trying to get these guys work on your vehicle.
Anyways with everything ready, I took the jeep home. The ride though enjoyable, but I was very tired, Standing since 10 in the morning, and the Delhi traffic didn’t do anything to help.

The problems faced by me on the drive back were
  • The vehicle was very hard to drive. I mean the wheels were not moving freely. WHen I was standing on an incline the vehicle even though in netural was not moving backwards.
  • The gear lever was very tight and I had to literally fight with it to engage the gears.
  • The 2nd gear used to slip into netural every now an then, while driving
  • The small 4x4 lever, one used to set the high and low ratio was also slipping into netural too often.
  • The engine was loosing a lot of oil from the oil filter
  • The jeep was heating a lot too. I mean that 10 kms from Mayapuri to my house, the temperature had risen to 120 degrees. I was shocked!!!
Now these were some of the problems that I faced, but as I had anticipated and know that it will be a while before most of the issues are sorted out.

So next day 15th April I left the jeep back at the mechanic, and told him to give me a call when it was ready. Received the call in the evening and then next evening on Thursday the 16th I went to pick it up.
Now it drove much better that what it was driving like earlier.
  • The wheels were loosened and now it was driving like it should.
  • The gear lever was changed. They call it something like a Tapa. So the gears were engaging properly.
  • The 2nd gear was not slipping now.
  • The 4x4 High-N-Low lever also didn’t slip into Netural
  • The heating, Oil dripping issue, well I will have to drive it around to see whether they are resolved. The radiator cap was missing, so a new one was bought and put on the vehicle.
So I took the car from the mechanic and got new footwear for the CJ3B from Khan Market.
I bought four new MRF 6x16’s NDMS. Paid 2450 per tyre and tube.
While I was there, I got the Ignition coil also changed. The earlier one was not changed by the electrician and was heating alot. So I put in a new ignition coil, the same one that is put in an Amby with an Isuzu motor. 380 for the coil and 50 for the fitting.

The sad part was the heating problem still remained. For even a 10 KM ride the vehicle takes in almost 2 liters of water. Also there is no visible leak in the radiator. But the funny thing is that the temperature gauge was not rising at all. Was this because I was refilling the radiator with water every hour or so????? I do not know.
Secondly the oil leak issue also remains. This I discovered next day in the morning. On a cold start the oil used to come out like a jet from the oil filter. Also I discovered that oil was leaking from the gearbox too.

I thought that the heating issue is because of the chocked radiator and I better get it cleaned. So I took it Mayapuri yesterday evening so show the problem. You see when I start from my house I top up the radiator and reach mayapuri drive time 20 mins distance must be 12-14 kms and the vehicle take in 2 liters of water.
So the mechanic examined it. After examination he told me to send the vehicle next morning and he will get the radiator cleaned, and also he suspects that the head gasket has a slight leak, so he will change that too.
Secondly the oil filter was taken out and the problem for the oil leakage was an oversized rubber ring as a result of which the oil was leaking from the gap when under pressure.
Oil was also leaking from the gearbox chamber and the engine chamber, so this too he said that he will check today. But this was veryless compared to the oil spurting out from the oil filter.

My driver is there now getting these thing resolved. Hopefully it would be done today.

Another peculiar issue that I am facing is that, the vehicle refuses to start in the morning, unless I take off the air hose on the carburetor and put the palm of my hand on top. I am not able to understand this problem….
Any advise will be appreciated

I know that this has been a long post so here are some of the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_7205.jpg  

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_7206.jpg  

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_7207.jpg  

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_7208.jpg  

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_7209.jpg  

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_7210.jpg  

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_7211.jpg  

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_7216.jpg  

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_7217.jpg  

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_7218.jpg  

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_7220.jpg  

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_7226.jpg  

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_7227.jpg  

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_7231.jpg  

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_7235.jpg  

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_7236.jpg  

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_7238.jpg  

Old 18th April 2009, 13:11   #88
BHPian

Fuel Pump Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Another peculiar issue that I am facing is that, the vehicle refuses to start in the morning, unless I take off the air hose on the carburetor and put the palm of my hand on top. I am not able to understand this problem….
Any advise will be appreciated
Hi Harjeev,
The problem with starting in the morning might be because fuel is not getting to the carburetor.. If I am not mistaken, when you put your palm on top of the carb it creats a vacuum and pulls in fuel. You can get your manual fuel pump checked and also add an electric fuel pump.

- Ganesh Banavar
Old 19th April 2009, 20:42   #89
BHPian

Hi Harjeev,

The Jeep is looking awesome.
So have you started driving it around town and also using it as a chick magnet?

Cheers !!!!!!!!!
Old 20th April 2009, 10:54   #90
BHPian

Congrats on getting the boy home.

Is your radiator cap of the correct pressure ? an incorrect cap may also cause overheating.

We have a bible of overheating issues on team bhp. Check Samurai's thread on Overheating problem in Jeep, every possible issue and its solution have been discussed there.

Most Viewed