Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2009, 22:19   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
@ Harjeev - Can you provide me with the details of the petrol engine in your 3b. Is it the 1.8 lt isuzu that used to come in ambys? Are the spare parts easily available to overhaul it? What would be a tentaive cost to overhaul this engine + gearbox + clutch. Any idea?

cheers
vishwas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
The 3b in all probability will be having the stock hurricane petrol engine.
Hi Vishwas
Kandisa is right. My CJ3B has an all stock hurricane engine with a 3 FWD & 1 Rev gearbox and twin 4x4 transfer case.
Had it an Isuzu engine I would have never bought it in the first place.

Regarding the spares and the cost I wouldnt really know as I have not started to restore her (cj3b) yet and I am currently working on my 550 and will like to finish it first. The CJ3B is parked at my house and will remain here most probably till May Jun 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
It is raining jeeps for you man.. Have fun.
Thanks prabhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusker4x4 View Post
Hi Harjeev Congrats When do we see your new Jeep... Regds... Amit (NIOC)
Hey Amit
Great to see you on TBhp. A big welcomecheers:

Yaar I think that I would get my Jeep off the road by the end of this month or early next month. I really wanted to have it by the planned 25th Jan OTR but that wont be possible.
Regarding the cj3b, not untill Jun 09.
Old 14th January 2009, 13:11   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusker4x4 View Post
Hi Harjeev Congrats When do we see your new Jeep... Regds... Amit (NIOC)
@ Amit - Welcome to TBhp. First we had bhpians flow from here to NIOC, now it is happening in reverse! You should post a thread about you 540 as well.

Cheers
Ankit
Old 19th January 2009, 12:04   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
@ Amit - Welcome to TBhp. First we had bhpians flow from here to NIOC, now it is happening in reverse! You should post a thread about you 540 as well.

Cheers
Ankit
Hi Ankit,

Thanks, NIOC is about hardcore offroading very few people would want to do it regularly. We have seen loads of guys wanting to try it they do enjoy the fun but dont have it in them to do it again and again.

TBHP is about automobile enthusiasts.

Very few guys are as crazy as us guys in NIOC, u would agree, to try stunts like we do.

Amit
Old 23rd January 2009, 00:47   #49
BHPian

I agree Amit !! It takes a lot more to walk the Torque as far as off-roading is concerned !!! Its certainly no walk in the park as I have discovered !! So will I get my jeep and be a permanent part of NIOC !!?? Hell yeah but no point just rushing in right ? Just making sure I learn the ropes first and then transition into the real deal,,,provided you guys don't boot us out for not having jeeps first
Old 23rd January 2009, 00:52   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
I agree Amit !! It takes a lot more to walk the Torque as far as off-roading is concerned !!! Its certainly no walk in the park as I have discovered !! So will I get my jeep and be a permanent part of NIOC !!?? Hell yeah
Get a jeep, buddy, and it will be easier than a walk in the park
Found anything yet?
Old 26th January 2009, 22:20   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
I agree Amit !! It takes a lot more to walk the Torque as far as off-roading is concerned !!! Its certainly no walk in the park as I have discovered !! So will I get my jeep and be a permanent part of NIOC !!?? Hell yeah but no point just rushing in right ? Just making sure I learn the ropes first and then transition into the real deal,,,provided you guys don't boot us out for not having jeeps first
Always welcome buddy. When ever you feel right then buy a jeep.
Old 12th March 2009, 23:23   #52
Senior - BHPian

Advise on restoration on M&M CJ3B

Hey guys
I will most probably be getting my MM550 in a couple of days and now its time to get the CJ3B out of the garage.

Now what's going on in my mind is what path should I take for the restoration
  • (One) Whether I should go the whole way and get it restored and overhauled like I did my MM550 or
  • (Two) Get only the necessary things done and not touch the things which appear to be working alright.
If I go with option no one then I would have to wait arleast 8-10 months as I do not have the spare enough cash to keep aside for the kind of money required. I think that I would be requiring atleast 70-80 K if I go the whole hog.
If I decide to go with option number two then the max I require is 20-25K.

Kindly advise...
Old 12th March 2009, 23:27   #53
Senior - BHPian

Tricky one.

Option 1 = Complete peace of mind.

Option 2 = Easy on the pocket but maybe need a small contingency fund for emergency work as and when required.

I would go for option 1 as I would hate for the vehicle to end up requiring constant visits to a workshop to get xyz done, and then wishing you had got it all done in one go.

Last edited by bigman : 12th March 2009 at 23:39.
Old 13th March 2009, 01:59   #54
BHPian

From what I read, I assume you like to keep this CJ 3B original. Does that mean that you're keeping the Hurricane in?
Old 13th March 2009, 04:03   #55
BHPian

Pick Option 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
  • (One) Whether I should go the whole way and get it restored and overhauled like I did my MM550 or
  • (Two) Get only the necessary things done and not touch the things which appear to be working alright.
Kindly advise...
Harjeev, assuming that you want to keep the Jeep for the long run, my suggestion is to continue the learning process. You can accomplish this better if you get it to running condition and use it for a while.

You have already learned so much from your first experience, so why not use the vehicle and figure out what is actually wrong with it and take care of the functional aspects. You can get the cosmetics taken care of at a later date. There is no point in let it sit for another 8 months and leave it in the garage for a full rehaul for another 3months.
Old 13th March 2009, 10:39   #56
fk7
BHPian

Hi Harjeev,

I would recommend you to drive your 550 for some time and know the knitty gritty details of vehicle maintenance and mechanics more. I think the actual usage of any jeep would help you to learn more.

After around six month of constant usage of the 550, my opinion would be to do option 1 as you would be more comfortable about the mechanics of a vehicle (jeep) in general and the rebuilding process would be more enjoyable and fun.

Firoz
Old 13th March 2009, 10:49   #57
BHPian

hey harjeev...in response to your question..
despite having completely overhauled and restored my cj...in the first week itself ive have had to send it back to mayapuri twice.first time it was an oil leak from the transfer case and second time for replacement of distributor head.
i suggest u go the whole hog.should take less than four months but the costs really add up.if you go for a bit-by-bit job then something or the other will go wrong every 3 days and you will have a tough time constantly juggling the jeep between the garage and your home.and the whole "peace of mind " thing wont happen with a part by part relacement.
btw cant wait to see the pics of your 55o!
Old 13th March 2009, 11:30   #58
Senior - BHPian

Hi Harjeev,

You'll soon have a magnificent Jeep in your hands (most prob today). Enjoy it first man.. I am sure it is going to satisfy all your off-road need fully.

For your question regarding CJ3B. I feel after few months, you should go in for full restoration but if for any reason not then you can opt to go in for a two part restoration. In first batch get all the inside stuff absolutely correct and get the jeep running (engine, 4x4, gears etc). Get it in your hands and enjoy it for few months, also collect more cash and in second stage get all the remaining things done in one slot including cosmetics.

Your have great knowledge, now pick a pen and paper and write down the works needed to be done and divide into two. Also the things which are working well keep them for the second part and don’t get them done in first part.

Here is an inspirational photo from Samurai’s recent thread. This jeep actually looks sexy.. Hope it performed well..

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-p3013192.jpg
Old 25th March 2009, 14:58   #59
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys
After much though and discussion I have decided to go with option number 2.
I will be getting the mechanical work done and start to drive the jeep as it is. Take it for the OTR's etc. After driving it around for some time and maybe around the end of the year I will get the denting and painting work done.
I will talk to the mechanic today evening and get an estimate about the costs involved.
Will update at night.

@jeepmkd
Yes I am keeping the original hurricane engine intact. That was one of the primary reasons I bought the CJ3B!!!
Old 25th March 2009, 16:12   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey Guys
After much though and discussion I have decided to go with option number 2.
I will be getting the mechanical work done and start to drive the jeep as it is. Take it for the OTR's etc. After driving it around for some time and maybe around the end of the year I will get the denting and painting work done.
I will talk to the mechanic today evening and get an estimate about the costs involved.
Will update at night.

@jeepmkd
Yes I am keeping the original hurricane engine intact. That was one of the primary reasons I bought the CJ3B!!!
Harjeev I guess you need to be rechristened as "HarJeep" or "HailJeep". I read all your posts and at times again. I would love to have something like Mahindra classic with me before I get too old to drive. And yes that vehicle would be a product of learning from all your experiments and hard work, last but not least your devotion towards it.

Most Viewed