Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2009, 15:27   #136
Senior - BHPian

1st of all apologies to Harjeev for posting this in his 3b thread, but just want to clarify a few things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
..What did you tell Kandisa, he had a MM440 with a Original Hurricane engine, why, or did you convince him that the Hurricane has a replacement?
Well i can't help but objecting to that word 'convince'. The purpose of this jeep was mentioned time and again in my thread and I took the decision based on the positive and negative aspects of each type of set-up in my context. Let me mention that I also had the option to go for an excellent running all-original very reasonably priced 3b, which would have been a much better choice over the 440 for OTR. But it wouldn't have been that practical in my present situation. Let me also mention that when i told about my proposed usage, other experts have also advised me the same engine. And I did retain the original engine-gearbox set-up, so the option of coming back to original spec in future is always there. So relax, I am not doing anything like putting a diesel into a 3b or so
Lastly, whatever Mandeep was discussing was related to folks in Delhi only and here he is the only person that people finally resort to when it comes to hurricane and 3b.
By the way, I am really curious to know that why people get really excited (I have seen these in various threads) about the Mahindra ISZ petrol jeep.
- best regards,
Soumen
Old 12th June 2009, 17:33   #137
Senior - BHPian

Did a small DIY yesterday
I removed the covering of the blackout lamps from my 3B. I had earlier thought to buy new reverse lights like my 550, and keep these as spare ones, the reason being that there is no metal covering on these and water can easily seep in into these. But I thought even if these conkoff, new ones only cost 80 buck. So will put new when these go bad.

Here are the pics!!!

Before
Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9038.jpg

After
Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-10062009579.jpg

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-10062009582.jpg

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-10062009583.jpg

There is a difference in quality as the 1t pic is from my camera and the other three are from my cell phone

Last edited by harjeev : 12th June 2009 at 17:35.
Old 12th June 2009, 17:53   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Did a small DIY yesterday
I removed the covering of the blackout lamps from my 3B. I had earlier thought to buy new reverse lights like my 550, and keep these as spare ones, the reason being that there is no metal covering on these and water can easily seep in into these. But I thought even if these conkoff, new ones only cost 80 buck. So will put new when these go bad.

Here are the pics!!!

Before
Attachment 147124

After
Attachment 147125

Attachment 147126

Attachment 147127

There is a difference in quality as the 1t pic is from my camera and the other three are from my cell phone
Harjeev,i recognize this from one of my old jeeps,your jeep is looking like my 3b now,all i need to do is flick the keys and swap the number plates.

cheers mate

mandeep
Old 12th June 2009, 18:05   #139
Senior - BHPian

Buddy I got this idea when I looked at the pictures that you had sent me of your grey jeep!!!
If you permit, I will like to post the pictures of your old jeep in the jeep pictures thread??
Old 12th June 2009, 22:14   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Buddy I got this idea when I looked at the pictures that you had sent me of your grey jeep!!!
If you permit, I will like to post the pictures of your old jeep in the jeep pictures thread??
no problem mate..all you got to do is give another set of keys of your left hand 3b to me.
Old 18th June 2009, 19:25   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
no problem mate..all you got to do is give another set of keys of your left hand 3b to me.
Anytime buddy!!! Its all yours!!!
If it wasn't for you I would have never bought 2 hurricanes
I owe you one!!! When are you leaving for that short drive of yours

TeamBHP Stickers
Where to paste them????

I am not able to decide the positioning of the the Team Bhp stickers on my 3B. What should be the ideal position on my 3B, Or maybe I should wait for it to be repainted and then past the sticker!!!
Old 20th June 2009, 11:07   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Anytime buddy!!! Its all yours!!!
If it wasn't for you I would have never bought 2 hurricanes
I owe you one!!! When are you leaving for that short drive of yours

well harjeev the short drive is on the cards and will be executed real soon,i found a really old 3d rendering of mine when i started playing around with softwares,the first thing i did was design a cj3b and i'm a die hard fan of rock crawlers,sending you the pic.

cheers mate

mandeep
Attached Thumbnails
Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-proj6.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by khan_sultan : 20th June 2009 at 13:50. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 20th June 2009, 11:58   #143
Senior - BHPian

@Mandeep
This is great. This is actually something what I have in mind for my RHD 3B. Sooner or later, actually later than sooner I will slowly and gradually embark on this path. As and when my pocket allows.

This always makes me remember a line I read sometime back

As boys get older,
Their TOYS get more expensive

Old 20th June 2009, 13:53   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
...i found a really old 3d rendering of mine when i started playing around with softwares,the first thing i did was design a cj3b and i'm a die hard fan of rock crawlers...

Mandeep, that's a very good drawing & design of a roll cage. So I know who to ask for drawing of external rollcage when I plan one for mine.

BTW, in the drawing, the half door is part of the cage, so how would it open? Is this a design element you had in mind or this is just a first cut drawing to test out ideas.
Old 20th June 2009, 17:43   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Mandeep, that's a very good drawing & design of a roll cage. So I know who to ask for drawing of external rollcage when I plan one for mine.

BTW, in the drawing, the half door is part of the cage, so how would it open? Is this a design element you had in mind or this is just a first cut drawing to test out ideas.
i was waiting for your inputs,actually i rendered this around 6years back and didnt know anything about productions and manufacturings at that point of time till i worked and studied on various machines at our factories,practicality was not in my mind back then,looks were more important,i hardly knew the functionalities back then,till now i upgrade myself every now and then,well the door isn't supposed to be fixed on the roll-cage but hinged,i would love to work on some ideas together,anytime do give me your inputs and guide me on the same.

regards

mandeep
Old 10th July 2009, 18:34   #146
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys

Its been a long time since I updated this thread. Barring some petty issues not much has happened since my last update!!!

I took the CJ3B for another OTR on the 21st of June 2009. It was actually a recce off the Bherampur track(not sure whether its Bherambur or Badshapur, I always get confused between the two But this is the track where we take a left from Haldiram on the NH8). Found a really nice extension of the track and this is where we are planning the forthcoming OTR on July 19th. We guys started early in the morning around 6 and were finished around noon!!!

The CJ3B preformed wonderfully never letting me down. Managed to do all the obstacles with relative ease.
I got a flat tyre. Driver side front!!! I guess I dint get them checked after the Faridabad OTR and went to another OTR after that with just topping up the air pressure. So Changed the tyre. A while later Amit’s jeep also had a flat. His 540 was also there at the Faridabad OTR. Now we were 3 jeeps with only 1 spare tyre to go. Luckily the tyres on all were NDMS 6 X 16’s.
We decided that if we get another flat, we’ll head back home as there’s no point taking unnecessary risk’s.

Just before we were leaving, checked up on the water level and just about less than half a pint was added to the radiator. The outside temperature must have been about 44 degrees but felt much more. It was Very Very HOT. The temp gauge was constantly at 60-65 degrees, occasionally rising upto 80 when were driving slowly or were stationary.
This I perfect I guess??? I can now say that the heating issue is resolved for good!!!

Pictures of the OTR

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9333.jpg

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9336.jpg

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9338.jpg

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9341.jpg

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9346.jpg

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9374.jpg

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9382.jpg

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_93831.jpg

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9389.jpg

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9396.jpg

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9397.jpg

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9399.jpg

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9400.jpg

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9406.jpg

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9417.jpg

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9420.jpg

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9421.jpg

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9422.jpg

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9423.jpg

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9426.jpg

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9427.jpg

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9429.jpg

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9433.jpg

Two Days afterwards
  • The 3B was parked for the next two days and I tried starting it with the usual accelerator pumping action. NOTHING happened
  • I tried using Electric Fuel Pump (EFP)and still nothing. The jeep was parked at an angle and the fuel gauge was reflecting that in the tank was ¼ full, I thought that less fuel might have been the reason. So I used the EFP for quite a while and after almost a good minute or two I saw petrol flowing through the pipes. Took it to the petrol pump and filled her up!!!
  • Also on the way back from Gurgaon, I just stopped to pour water on the Manual Fuel Pump and when I popped the hood I noticed that the top hose pipe was cracked and the coolant was leaking from it. So I topped her up and thought that I will get it changed. I was happy that it dint crack at the start of the OTR.
  • The third issue I noticed at the OTR was that oil was dripping from either the gearbox or the transfer case. This was the case for the past couple of weeks so I thought whenever I go to the workshop again I will get it resolved.
Next Sunday (28th June) I was free and I decided to take the jeep to Noida, Jasvinder’s garage!!! The weather had become quite good and as the fuel was 3/ 4 th full, I cranked. Again nothing.
So I decided to finally get under the jeep and do a little of DIY job as surely less fuel was now not the case and when I was using the EFP now, fuel was dripping from under it (EFP). As soon as I got under the jeep, I noticed that the fuel pipe that takes the fuel from the tank to the EFP was cracked and the fuel line might have been taking air from that. Luckily the crack was not in the middle and the tank was not full. I took my swissknife and cut it from the place where the problem was. Once done I tried to force it back on but it just wouldn’t go over the EFP inlet. Had it been a diesel I could have heated it, but this option was not open in this case!!! The pipe had become very hard as it might have been local make and was almost as hard as a rock. So I tried a lot of things, like using excessive force and forcing it on, using a screwdriver to loosen the pipe a little, using a sharp knife and trying to wear off the edges from inside. Nothing worked. So after talking to a friend I applied some oil on the EFP inlet and the pipe and with a little force, thankfully I was able to push it on the inlet pipe and screw the clamp back on.

Then took the jeep to Noida
  • Got the hose pipe replaced and also took an extra for emergencies.
  • The packing of the gearbox had become loose so this was tightened
  • The fuel pipe was replaced with a better quality one
  • Then in the next couple of days the jeep was sent to the tyre shop and got all the tyres checked. The puncture tally was as follows. The 1st tyre had 11 puncture so the tube was replaced. The other 3 had like 7 in one, 4 in one and 3 in one. So I got them repaired and have 2 spare tubes in my tool box for emergencies.
Effectively the jeep is now ready for the next OTR
Pictures of the new hose pipe
Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9438.jpg

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9439.jpg

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9440.jpg

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9441.jpg
The Faulty pipe
Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_9443.jpg

Last edited by harjeev : 10th July 2009 at 18:36.
Old 14th July 2009, 14:41   #147
Senior - BHPian

Hi Harjeev,

In case you happen to go to Mayapuri or any Jeep parts shopping joint, please get me a set of Radiator hose pipes. I will settle with you when I meet you on the 19th July OTR.

Also if you come across a Solex carburettor in mayapuri or any other place, buy it for me. I will settle with you whenever I meet.

Best regards

Shahid
Old 13th March 2010, 08:36   #148
Senior - BHPian

Its been a long time since this thread has seen the light of the day and was lurking in the shadows of old threads. So I thought to update it for a change.

I am finally taking the CJ3B to a workshop in Noida to the get the engine sorted out. Since the day I bought it and got it running I never got the engine overhauled but just a ring job done. So now the vehicle has started to consume a lot of oil, almost 3 liters for every 400-500 kms. Further the driving pleasure is not that great too though it performs great at OTR. A friend of mine (Sharat) recently got his CJ3B's engine overhauled from a workshop in noida and another friend (Naveen) got his CJ3B gearbox & transfer case overhauled from this place. Both are happy with the performance of their steeds.
So today I am off to Noida today to see, drive and feel the newly buildup engine and then decide what to do with my vehicle!!!

Will update later in the day

PS. In the past 9 month the CJ3B was re-patched, repainted etc. So over the next couple of days I will update the thread with the work done on the vehicle over the past 3 quarters!!

Many time in the past I was so unhappy with the performance of the engine after I receiving it back from the workshop after repainting and other work done on it that quite a many times I seriously gave thought about replacing the 2.2 Hurricane to either a 1.8 Isuzu or plonk in a XD3P motor or worse still, sell it all-together.
So based on how todays interaction goes, I've be deciding on the above later. But all in all I think that its only the engine that's giving me issues and the rest of the vehicle I've brought it in the current condition bit by bit and further the engine is nothing that cant be sorted out easily.
Lets see!!!

THATS WHY SOMEONE HAS CORRECTLY SAID
JEEP CAN'T BE BOUGHT, THEY MUST BE BUILT

Last edited by harjeev : 13th March 2010 at 08:53.
Old 13th March 2010, 09:38   #149
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev,
Thats a pretty neat CJ3B you've got there.
Old 14th March 2010, 17:29   #150
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev, can you throw some light on the NDMS tyres, their advantages and disadvantages, both on road as well as off road. I need to decode fast what to get for my CJ though im tilted towards the NDMS.

What about the Safari from MRF as it is an NDMS type tyre with some treads in the contact patch. Will those be better than the normal NDMS? Thanks in anticipation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks