Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2009, 02:12   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
What makes you think the CL340/Classic/CJ3b have faded into the past?
The fact that everyone on tbhp appears to be buying a 540/550.
Old 8th January 2009, 09:18   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
The fact that everyone on tbhp appears to be buying a 540/550.
That is because of supply. There are lot more MM540/550s available than CJ/CL340 or CJ3x Jeeps. We all know it is near to impossible to buy a Classic these days, no owner would want to sell, not at a sane price. They haven't been made since 2000. The non-Classic 340 hasn't been made since 1996. Even until then it was sold in very limited numbers. The CJ3x Jeeps are little exotic, you need to have real patience to restore them and care for them, parts are very difficult to source, and they are rare.

That basically leaves MM540/550 as the practical choice.
Old 8th January 2009, 15:18   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That is because of supply. There are lot more MM540/550s available than CJ/CL340 or CJ3x Jeeps. We all know it is near to impossible to buy a Classic these days, no owner would want to sell, not at a sane price. They haven't been made since 2000. The non-Classic 340 hasn't been made since 1996. Even until then it was sold in very limited numbers. The CJ3x Jeeps are little exotic, you need to have real patience to restore them and care for them, parts are very difficult to source, and they are rare.

That basically leaves MM540/550 as the practical choice.
thanx samurai for supporting my quote on the CJ series fading away!

cheers:
Old 9th January 2009, 14:19   #64
BHPian

Its the same engine as is used in the new Bolero, and thus is just as good for off-roading as a Gurkha is, and that means you should'nt be hanging around water bodies.

The problem with these new motors, inrespective of if they have a snorkel or not, is that they cannot ford water. The Gurkha, and the Bolero CRDE, have electronic management engines and thus they have sensors hanging about the engine vital parts, and much before the water reaches the air intake, it has already damaged the sensors and you have a Kapput engine.
I just sold my Bolero, and this time around i went looking for the 4x4 version of it. The Mahindra fellows told me they dont have a 4x4 CDRE Bolero, and i really dont expect them to throw this motor into it anyways. But the DI motor, that came in the earlier 4x2 versions is now an option in the 4x4 version. Frankly any engine is better than the peugeot i had in my bolero, so i'am game. Besides the DI is easy to bomb and mod too, and yeh, no sensors to get in the way either.

Too bad a new simple MM550 is something we might never get to lay our hands on because of Army restrictions on the companies to sell vehicles that are also sold to the Army, mainly for security reasons, although how they manage to get through with the llimited editions is beyond me.
Bikram
Old 9th January 2009, 14:45   #65
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus View Post
Too bad a new simple MM550 is something we might never get to lay our hands on because of Army restrictions on the companies to sell vehicles that are also sold to the Army
But the army can sell them to the civilians once they have used them.

Dosent make sense to me.
Old 9th January 2009, 15:21   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmm - very very interesting thread indeed. Thank you guys for your passion. Let's see, -----.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 9th January 2009, 15:57   #67
Senior - BHPian

teaser post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Hmm - very very interesting thread indeed. Thank you guys for your passion. Let's see, -----.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dhabhar ji,
Your posts have become teaser posts of sorts and at the end,the word "lets see"---- makes us stratch our head

The moment i saw Thar being displayed in bologna motor show i was sure something is in store for us and ur thread on MM550 later confirms my belief. Common behram sir, dont play with us....confirm if you are working to homologate it for we poor indians.At the most we will be happy and you have virtually no competition against this product to keep it under wraps.

I have started saving some money for this wonderful looking jeep

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 9th January 2009 at 16:00.
Old 9th January 2009, 16:18   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Vinod - I just made a statement, I have no other intention. Please contact me on my mobile. I want to talk to you. It is better that way.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 9th January 2009, 19:36   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Vinod - I just made a statement, I have no other intention. Please contact me on my mobile. I want to talk to you. It is better that way.
Behram, you are a dirty old tease and very, very naughty.....good going!.
Old 9th January 2009, 20:33   #70
BHPian

Heard recently the army is planning to do away with the surplus vehicles too, a decision that came right after the Mumbai blasts. Its going to be scrapped proper United States style, or how the way we scrap battle tanks and guns. Going to be cut into bits and peices before it goes to the yard.
Its still a rumour so you never know how much truth it has, but if it is, guess we should start looking for a very good welder to put humpty-dumpty back together.
Old 9th January 2009, 21:02   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Dhabhar ji,
Your posts have become teaser posts of sorts and at the end,the word "lets see"---- makes us stratch our head

The moment i saw Thar being displayed in bologna motor show i was sure something is in store for us and ur thread on MM550 later confirms my belief. Common behram sir, dont play with us....confirm if you are working to homologate it for we poor indians.At the most we will be happy and you have virtually no competition against this product to keep it under wraps.

I have started saving some money for this wonderful looking jeep
+1, emotions should not be played with!

Quote:
You could post on the forum for everyones knowledge, personal communication will keep others in the dark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Behram, you are a dirty old tease and very, very naughty.....good going!.
+1, lets have something concrete in the end of such a long thread.
Old 10th January 2009, 01:17   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Heard recently the army is planning to do away with the surplus vehicles too, a decision that came right after the Mumbai blasts. Its going to be scrapped proper United States style, or how the way we scrap battle tanks and guns. Going to be cut into bits and peices before it goes to the yard.
Its still a rumour so you never know how much truth it has, but if it is, guess we should start looking for a very good welder to put humpty-dumpty back together.
my younger brother did this kind of disposal for the forces of a country stationed in A-stan. engines were taken out, vehicles were cut in half and disposed off as scrap.

cheers:
Old 10th January 2009, 08:09   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

Too bad a new simple MM550 is something we might never get to lay our hands on because of Army restrictions on the companies to sell vehicles that are also sold to the Army, mainly for security reasons, although how they manage to get through with the llimited editions is beyond me.
Bikram
I don't think this information is accurate. How do you explain the sales of the civilian gypsy? Your information maybe accurate about a platform used to launch missiles. Obviously we don't want civilians driving around in a 6x6 Tatra missile launcher. But for run of the mill vehicles like the gypsy, mm550, ambassador, sumo, etc, they are sold to army and civilians. May have some additional fitments/changes for the army but for the most part they are the same.

Explain to me the risk to the country if I get my hands on a used MM550. If army can get a better price by auctioning an mm550 as a whole vehicle. It helps their budget. How does it help national security by crushing or chopping up an MM550 before it is disposed?

Landrover Defender is the most commonly used Light duty vehicle used by British forces. The vehicles can be bought from MOD auctions after military service. Humvees can be bought from US army auction. However, these cannot be made road legal (or it is extremely costly to) in the US due to lack of mandatory safety features required in the US. However if you had your private off-road track, you could use it there.
Old 10th January 2009, 10:59   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Humvees can be bought from US army auction. However, these cannot be made road legal (or it is extremely costly to) in the US due to lack of mandatory safety features required in the US. However if you had your private off-road track, you could use it there.
4X4addict,
AFAIK, HMMWV's can definitely be bought from the US Army Auction, but only
after they have been de-militarized. There are specific de-mil codes for every
item that is auctioned.
Here is an excerpt from a de-mil procedure document i found.
I wonder what remains of the Hummer after all this
Cheers

Quote:
HMMWVs & MRAPs
The following are instructions for the demilitarization of HMMWVs and Mine Resistant
Ambush Protection Vehicles (MRAPs).
WARNING: Consider environmental spills. Ensure fluids (brake, transmission, engine
oil, coolant, anti-freeze, gasoline/diesel fuel, refrigerant, etc.), are recovered and
contained. Be mindful of tubes and hoses that may contain fluids.
WARNING: When cutting, be mindful that the suspension system may be under
pressure and hydraulic components/springs or other components such as clamps could be
released in a forced and violent manner that could cause injury or even death.
WARNING: Wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE).
A. DEMIL C: The HMMWV is normally DEMIL Code C - Remove and destroy key
2. Ballistic glass;
3. Weapon mounts;
4. Wiring/cable harnesses and assemblies;
5. Engine;
6. Transmission;
7. Deep water fording equipment, if installed;
8. Pneumatic tire casings of a kind designed to be bullet-proof or to run when
deflated;
9. Tire inflation pressure control systems, operated from inside a moving vehicle;
10. Armored protection of vital parts, (e.g., fuel tanks or vehicle cabs);
11. Special reinforcements for mountings for weapons; and
12. Identification Plate.

NOTE: Armor will be cut into 14-16" pieces. The remaining vehicle is DEMIL B
and remaining parts and components are DEMIL Q.
Cheers
Old 10th January 2009, 12:27   #75
BHPian

The last Action of the humvees was in 2001-2002, After that they have stopped giving Hummvees to the Civilian, My brothers friend at US is one of the last owners of the Humvee,

regards
vinay Thomas
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
4X4addict,
AFAIK, HMMWV's can definitely be bought from the US Army Auction, but only
after they have been de-militarized. There are specific de-mil codes for every
item that is auctioned.
Here is an excerpt from a de-mil procedure document i found.
Cheers

Cheers
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks